Bye, bye burgers

A Thompson Wrecking crew tears down the Broad Street Burgers building to make room for construction on the new 25,000-square-foot KROC Center. Saturday was the last day the burger business was open.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
catfish201
catfish201 12/01/09 - 05:37 am
I ate many a hamburger from

I ate many a hamburger from the What-A-Burger during my youth and they were so good.

PoliticallNcorrect
PoliticallNcorrect 12/01/09 - 05:39 am
Cat...Me to, those were the

Cat...Me to, those were the BEST:(

avidreader
avidreader 12/01/09 - 05:51 am
There used to be two

There used to be two "What-a-Burger" restaurants in town. I grew up with the one on Milledgeville Rd. and continued to support the one on Broad which later became "Broad Street Burgers". I hope they open at a new location.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/01/09 - 06:50 am
the owner is looking at

the owner is looking at reopening at the old Augsberg haus location on Walton Way, hope they do well!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/01/09 - 09:03 am
The closest What-a-burger is

The closest What-a-burger is in the Jacksonville, FL area... been there, done that!!

deekster
deekster 12/01/09 - 11:27 am
There were three "local"

There were three "local" What-A Burger locations in Augusta in the 50's and 60's. Broad St., Milledgeville Rd. and East Boundary. East Boundary was the first to go. They did evolve somewhat over the decades. There is a "What-A-Burger" franchise, but the Augusta locations were not part of a "chain/franchise". I enjoyed the best grilled burgers ever for over fifty years. A one of a kind place. It could have been incorporated into the KROC. I guess the KROC will have a McD's.

Painful Truth
Painful Truth 12/01/09 - 02:38 pm
deekster, I grew up in

deekster, I grew up in Disgusta and ate at all three locations. My sister worked at the one on Broad st. in the early sixties.
Those burgers were the best. Sure will miss them when we visit again, is the one on Milledegville Rd. still open. Three things I always try to get when visiting there, What -a-Burger, Sconyers hash and rice, Wifesaver fried gizzards and sauce.

gnx
gnx 12/01/09 - 04:03 pm
I'm sad to see that building

I'm sad to see that building go. I loved What-A-Burger and would stop to pick some up at whichever location in town I happened to be passing by. Those were, without a doubt, the best burgers ever made. I'm looking forward to seeing what the KROC center can do for that area and wish them much success.

ustabe
ustabe 12/01/09 - 07:01 pm
I agree that the Augusta

I agree that the Augusta What-a-Burgers were the best ever. We live in a city with W-a-B (one of the chains) and they're good, but no match for the old Augusta ones. Ah, the good old days!

corgimom
corgimom 12/01/09 - 09:12 pm
I loved What-a-Burger, but

I loved What-a-Burger, but the neighborhood got so bad, it wasn't worth going there any more. Sad.

bigalsc
bigalsc 12/01/09 - 10:30 pm
The building itself was a

The building itself was a blight on the landscape. Thank God its gone!

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...