General was far too politically correct

I want to congratulate The Augusta Chronicle's outstanding editorial Nov. 12 on those who apologize for America's supposed sins against the Muslim terrorists and others ("If anyone's ill, it's apologists").

The editorial was correct in its assertion that the really ill ones in this nation are those who are quick to employ political correctness as a defense against those who would kill us.

Appalling to me in recent days was the comment by Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff, who in the best of hand-wringing fashion conceded that the killings of 13 Americans at Fort Hood was a tragedy, but then observed that if the event had a disastrous effect on diversity, that would be an even greater tragedy.

I could not believe that an American military commander would utter such abject nonsense, but then realized he was being politically correct, thereby casting the new image for the modern military. ...

I submit that if Gens. Douglas MacArthur and George Patton, my personal World War II heroes, were alive today, they would be kicking Casey's rear all over the Fort Hood parade grounds.

Carl Langley

Aiken, S.C.

grouse
grouse 11/21/09 - 07:02 pm

soonerorlater: I went to your link which quotes the above interview. I suggest you take your own advice.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/09 - 07:05 pm
apex24 did I say I defend

apex24 did I say I defend that killer? Show me where I said that.All I did was make a statement. KSL no I did not get it from the White House website. I read cnn and msnbc, abc, cbs, and it had to have been on one of those sites. I remember I sent the link to a few people.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/09 - 07:06 pm
It might have been on

It might have been on Anderson Cooper.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 07:11 pm
Thanks, happychimer. It truly

Thanks, happychimer. It truly did not come up with the way I searched. Hope all is well with you and your family, especially rollingstone.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/09 - 07:20 pm
I remember Anderson Cooper or

I remember Anderson Cooper or another cnn person was interviewing people who knew him, and the subject of his wanting to get out of the military was a big thing. He had tried to pay back his tuition, but was devastated when refused, and did not want to be deployed. There were signs that something was not right. There were those who reported him, and were uneasy about him, but he passed through the cracks. Somebody goofed.I hope he is punished for what he did.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 08:52 pm
I agree with you, happy. And

I agree with you, happy. And as I said, I hope all is well with you and your family.Just lost a person I loved and respected. Did not agree with him politically. First met him in 1971

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/09 - 08:56 pm
KSL sorry to hear that.

KSL sorry to hear that.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 11/21/09 - 09:04 pm
You, Mr. Gasp, seem to be

You, Mr. Gasp, seem to be another historical revisionist, who distorts facts to back your opinion. While it is true that Canada and Australia never fought a war for independence, it is folly to contend that ours was neither needed nor heroic. Australia became legally independent from the UK on March 3rd, 1986 with the passing of the Australia Acts 1986. Canada remained legally part of the British Empire until the last vestiges were surrendered in 1982 when the constitution act patriated the Canadian constitution. We opted NOT to remain under foreign rule and declared our independence on July 7, 1776, and have been enjoying the fruits of our liberty ever since. So now, after over 200 years of celebrating our freedom from British tyranny, we now have your lame comments about us boasting about our heroic fights? What a hoot you are sir! So you think our historic and heroic wars to keep our country free are laughable then? How pathetic. Freedom does not come easy, nor is it retained for long without heroic efforts. Due to your obvious contempt for our nation, I suggest you take the ship with John, as I'm sure you can find a lot of common ground, and a lot of empty seats. Go..Please!

corgimom
corgimom 11/21/09 - 09:13 pm
KSL, King George III gave up

KSL, King George III gave up the Colonies because his brain was racked by syphilis. They didn't call him "The Mad King" for nothing.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 09:17 pm
Thank you. He was a very

Thank you. He was a very special and intelligent friend. We had a lot of discussions, as you could imagine, early on. Drifted apart, but the friendship remained strong.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 09:28 pm
Syph really had little to do

Syph really had little to do with it. KG3 and his war czars had limited resources to devote to keeping the Colonies-he had to have large military resources in other theaters, hence the mercenaries he hired for over here. You will recall they got greedy wanting us to pay for the French & Indian War, the little part of a war fought mainly over there, so they started with all the taxes that had previously been low or non-existent. Maybe some parallels to current problems. (Hub/KSL)

disssman
disssman 11/21/09 - 09:35 pm
For all the posters above who

For all the posters above who hate Muslims. Remember Wallmart is open early tomorrow and you can run to buy products made in Indonesia, which is predominately Muslim. To get to Wallmart you can get in your foreign automobile and fill up with Muslim gas or add Muslim oil. Give me a break. If you really cared about this country or hated a group so much as you claim, you would start walking and never buy anything made in Indonesia. But, that would be a problem that hits you in the pocket book so you will just look the other way. BTW I noted a surprising amoumt of usage of the word "we" by the posters which indicates a lot of military people are writing or a lot of cowards who wanna-be soldiers but really don't have the gonads for it. As for me the real terrorist is the american lawyer trying to justify the murder and shooting of all those brave young people.

corgimom
corgimom 11/21/09 - 09:36 pm
It was also very expensive to

It was also very expensive to fight a war in America, everything and everybody had to be shipped and it took months. Tell Hub hello for me.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 10:44 pm
That's right. Just like WW1

That's right. Just like WW1 and WW2.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.