General was far too politically correct

I want to congratulate The Augusta Chronicle's outstanding editorial Nov. 12 on those who apologize for America's supposed sins against the Muslim terrorists and others ("If anyone's ill, it's apologists").

The editorial was correct in its assertion that the really ill ones in this nation are those who are quick to employ political correctness as a defense against those who would kill us.

Appalling to me in recent days was the comment by Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff, who in the best of hand-wringing fashion conceded that the killings of 13 Americans at Fort Hood was a tragedy, but then observed that if the event had a disastrous effect on diversity, that would be an even greater tragedy.

I could not believe that an American military commander would utter such abject nonsense, but then realized he was being politically correct, thereby casting the new image for the modern military. ...

I submit that if Gens. Douglas MacArthur and George Patton, my personal World War II heroes, were alive today, they would be kicking Casey's rear all over the Fort Hood parade grounds.

Carl Langley

Aiken, S.C.

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 11/21/09 - 12:29 pm
There is validity in

There is validity in gizzilies statement. I know of an officer on Ft. Gordon who sexually harrassed three DA civilians. One of them had a text message as evidence. This officer was quietly moved to another organization then departed the post for another assignment. The only penalty he recieved was that he did not make the latest promotion list and will either make the next one, or will retire. Another officer shoved a higher ranking one, called him a part of the female anatomy, and said lets take it outside. Nothing was done to him. Many students failed multiple courses, regulation said they were to be dismissed from the course but the person in charge overruled the regulation and let them stay although they repeatedly failed. This person in charge will retire soon after 40 years. This person also caused several officers I personally know to retire, they did not want to be in the part of the Army that this guy was leading. He will be hailed as a patriot and a great American for his service, but many many know the real truth.

daddyfrog1
daddyfrog1 11/21/09 - 12:42 pm
I've watched this dialog on

I've watched this dialog on the LTE turn into name calling & plain sillyness.Obama promised to get us out of Iraq & we're still there.Afganistan is getting to be the main theater of operations.The British & the Russians tried to conquer Afganistan & failed.The people are tribal,excellant guerrilla fighters,& radical in their religion.We'll be there forever.We Americans are not a greedy,cruel people as some have said here.We try to right wrongs.We've saved the world in two world wars & in the struggle against communism.People swim rivers to get here,come in leaky old boats,hide in airplanes,etc.We make mistakes,but we acknowledge them.Just having this forum shows how free we are.I hope & pray we can get out of Iraq & Afganistan,but I dread to think what will replace us.Also in 25yrs. or so Europe will be a Muslim majority.What will that bring?Only God knows.

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 11/21/09 - 01:28 pm
"What happened at Fort Hood

"What happened at Fort Hood was a tragedy, but I believe it would be an even greater tragedy if our diversity becomes a casualty here." Gen Casy speech at Fort Hood. A greater tragedy if diversity becomes a casualty. a GREATER TRAGEDY than 14 dead??? Casey is so insensitive and his words should offend the families of those who were killed/injured.

butler123
butler123 11/21/09 - 01:36 pm
When will people get it. If

When will people get it. If you are muslim, then you are an extremist. We are just so used to being politically correct that no one wants to believe it. We are taught to be unpredjudiced against people of other religions. When will people realize this is not like the difference between Catholicism and being Jewish. There are good and bad people in all religions, blah, blah... The muslim religion is evil itself. It just stands to reason that the people who study it are evil too. I don't hear people spouting off about Satan worshipers getting a bad rap.

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 11/21/09 - 02:39 pm

Ft. Hood speech, do your research. I am taking nothing out of context. Read the words carefully, slowly, then read them again. He states that if diversity became a tragedy it would be greater than what happened at Ft. Hood. There is not taking it out of context. Again, READ THE WORDS.

corgimom
corgimom 11/21/09 - 02:45 pm
I've known lots of Muslims,

I've known lots of Muslims, and they are perfectly normal people just trying to live their lives. How prejudiced to say that they are all extremists.

butler123
butler123 11/21/09 - 02:48 pm
How naive to say they are

How naive to say they are not!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/21/09 - 02:54 pm
SoonerorLater, grouse post is

SoonerorLater, grouse post is a perfect respond to facts when it is slapped in their face. A fact to people like him is always taken as a lie. "If you don't accept documented and known facts, You are not too smart"

check
check 11/21/09 - 02:57 pm
"...then observed that if the

"...then observed that if the event had a disastrous effect on diversity, that would be an even greater tragedy." ... Greater than the death of 13 Americans?

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 11/21/09 - 02:58 pm
The statement stands on its

The statement stands on its own merit. All I need to do is post the quote, and no other comment is necessary. Their mantra is "don't let facts get in the way of our beliefs".

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 03:13 pm
I think they need to screen

I think they need to screen better the people they give free medical schooling to.l If he had been drummed out before paying his obligation, he needed to pay the US back.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 11/21/09 - 03:20 pm
He tried to pay back the US

He tried to pay back the US for his education, but was refused. I saw that on tv and read it online.He wanted out of the military, and did not want to be deployed.

carcraft
carcraft 11/21/09 - 03:23 pm
JohnRandolphHardisonCain on

JohnRandolphHardisonCain on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:Obumbler, the demi god, wonderkin, etc said :The war in Afghanistan is a war of necessity" pick a bone with him..

apex24
apex24 11/21/09 - 03:32 pm
Chimer, why don't you call

Chimer, why don't you call his defense lawyer and volunteer as a character witness on his behalf.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 03:40 pm
I tried to find that info,

I tried to find that info, happy, but couldn't quickly, so I gave up. I did not, however, check Obama's website.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/21/09 - 03:48 pm
jsherrill - You said our

jsherrill - You said our military commanders no longer have any backbone and pined for the old military men like MacArthur, Patton and Eisenhower. Strange you have Eisenhower on your list. Are you aware that Eisenhower was a military man that grew to be something of a pacifist? One of his quotes is a great - Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 03:50 pm
And Nixon was a Quaker. Your

And Nixon was a Quaker. Your point?

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 04:08 pm
Cain, you lambasted Bush and

Cain, you lambasted Bush and still do. You hardly ever mention Obama. Your partisanship shows. I personally did not agree when Bush turned his attention to Iraq. And yes, when told by the powers that be that Iraq needed to be attacked for the reasons stated, AND both parties were supporting it, I did support it. Not unlike the lefties who are supporting bills that would totally revamp health care in America, take over a chunk of the economy, all to provide insurance for a 37 million. It's totally asinine.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/21/09 - 04:09 pm
Gen. George Casey displayed a

Gen. George Casey displayed a wisdom devoid in the letter writer, Mr. Langley. Fort Hood was a human tragedy and it would be sad if men of wisdom stood silent by and let the bigots whip up hysteria and hatred for Muslims.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 04:14 pm
"Human tragedy" hmmm.

"Human tragedy" hmmm. Brainwashed by the current administration, are you?

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 11/21/09 - 04:24 pm
No, John, you are simply

No, John, you are simply another deluded, juvenile pacifist who hates america. Plain and simple. You crawl out from under the protection afforded you by our military, utter your liberal anti-american garbage, and then wail about how we have trampled the rights of everyone in the world. Your comment, "This country is in decline because of warmongering, greed & corruption by flag-waving "patriots", just about says it all. You want greed and corruption, just look at the porkulus bill, and the wall street bailout, perpetuated by BHO and company. I put my life on the line, in defense of your right to hate america, but I will tell you that your pacifist mentality, and feeble arguments about american wars of aggression are laughable. Wake up sir, and realize that your very ability to cry injustice was forged in the blood and sacrifice of these flag-waving patriots that you despise so much. So..how about you move to one of those countries that you think are such paragons of liberty and christian charity...PLEASE! You sir, are simply a deluded fool, who deserves neither our protection or liberties. Flights leaving hourly sir for foreign destinations. Leave..please.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 04:27 pm
TheFed, you just wasted a lot

TheFed, you just wasted a lot of time. Brick Wall.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 11/21/09 - 04:33 pm
Undoubtedly, but still, I

Undoubtedly, but still, I feel better for the effort. Besides, I am anxiously awaiting his lame response so I can get my daily chuckle.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 04:52 pm
You are funny.

You are funny.

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 04:55 pm
Actually JRHC is a good guy.

Actually JRHC is a good guy. Misguided, in my opinion, but a really good guy. You just can't tell it from his posts.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/21/09 - 05:10 pm
TheFederalis - Among other

TheFederalis - Among other things you said American wars of aggression are laughable. That's a shame but I'll not go down that foolish path. But you made another claim that I'd like to dispute. To wit: " Wake up sir, and realize that your very ability to cry injustice was forged in the blood and sacrifice of these flag-waving patriots that you despise so much." Yes this country was born in a revolution but it need not to have been. Other countries enjoy freedoms similar to America's but they didn't fight a revolution to earn their rights. The countries of Canada and Australia left British control without any revolution and they have freedoms similar to Americans. But I understand how it is, Americans just like to boast about our heroic fights!

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 05:36 pm
Your spring is tainted,

Your spring is tainted, water. Canada and Australia gained freedoms slowly from the mother country, only after the mother country did not really want them or could afford to have them. On the other hand, the loss of the "Colonies" was huge to Britain, at a time when they really needed them to balance their economy. Had they not abused the Colonies, the Rev. War may not have happened. Really check out your history closely before you spout off what you think you know. (Hub of KSL)

KSL
KSL 11/21/09 - 05:38 pm
Do not engage my husband on

Do not engage my husband on history, particularly of that era. You will lose.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 11/21/09 - 06:05 pm
apex24 did I say I defend

apex24 did I say I defend that killer? Show me where I said that.All I did was make a statement. KSL no I did not get it from the White House website. I read cnn and msnbc, abc, cbs, and it had to have been on one of those sites. I remember I sent the link to a few people.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 11/21/09 - 06:06 pm
It might have been on

It might have been on Anderson Cooper.

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...