Stop homosexual discrimination now

Gil Ward's letter ("Homosexuality is far too pervasive," Nov. 5) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am disgusted with my fellow human beings that shallowly preach their God and their Bible's message of "love" and "morals," while hypocritically turning their backs on the rights of fellow Americans.

The assertion that homosexuality is a choice is obnoxious. Maybe if Gil actually perused scientific literature instead of thumping his Bible he would see the strong contribution genetics and environment have in determining sexual orientation. Studies of identical twins, which share the same set of genes, show a definite genetic component to homosexuality, even though the specific gene (if there is even just one) has not been identified.

However, even if homosexuality was a choice, the fact would be irrelevant because this is a free country, and we as citizens have the luxury of making choices. Gil is mistaken to think that "all our civil laws ... come from the Bible." This great nation has a separation of church and state, meaning that religious views are protected. However, religious views also cannot be forced upon another citizen. Our Founding Fathers would be shocked that the Bible could be used as legal justification for preventing homosexual marriage.

Despite recent disappointments with the performance of our government, I am still strongly patriotic, and I believe in a democracy of the people, by the people and for the people. This does not mean that the majority rules. One of the most important roles of the government is to protect minority groups from the whims of the majority. Not so long ago, Gil Ward might have been writing a similar letter complaining about miscegenation being too pervasive.

To hateful bigots in the Augusta community, get off your high horses and let homosexuals live their lives. In a country that proclaims equality as a core value, oppressing the minority of homosexuals with hateful speech and bans on marriage is unpatriotic and immoral.

The homosexual lifestyle is a private matter that does not harm or even affect anyone outside homosexual relationships. For God's sake, our country must stop this ridiculous discrimination against fellow Americans.

J.R. Barrett, Martinez

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 11/15/09 - 10:16 pm
I'm not aware of any clear

I'm not aware of any clear scientific proof for a gay gene. Such a gene was proposed several years back, but this research was later debunked. If a person chooses a homosexual lifestyle, that's their business. No one has the right to insist that they change anything. Conversely, homosexuals have no right to express such vitriol when someone simply states that the both Old and New Testaments clearly define homosexuality as a sin. That's just the truth, and cannot be denied. If a Christian chooses to stand by their religious beliefs, then that is their right as an American, just as a homosexual has the right to reject Christian teaching. It's a free country. In contrast to Mr Barrett's notion about the Founding Fathers, I think the FF's would be astounded at the notion that the nation they forged would even consider "redefining" the institution of marriage as anything other than one man and one woman, just as it's been for thousands of years. We do live in a democracy, and thus far every state that has voted on gay marriage has rejected it. Again, sorry, but that's just the way it is. The American people have spoken.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 11/15/09 - 10:26 pm
You know, thinking about it,

You know, thinking about it, Mr. Barrett is dead wrong about one thing. Homosexual marriage could indeed harm America -- if homosexual marriage became rampant, eventually we'd see a drop in population because a homosexual couple can't have kids. You can complain all you want, but you can't change the laws of nature. Doesn't that tell us something about the "nature" of homosexuality? It not only stands against the Bible, but also violates the principles of Darwinian evolution -- it's an evolutionary dead end as well. If you can't pass on your DNA to offspring, then evolutionary theory says that's a bad thing. So, whether you look at from a biblical or a strictly scientific perspective, homosexuality does not stack up very favorably. Please note that these comments are not meant to be hateful at all (Mr Barrett can live any way he wants), but are just stating the simple truth of the matter. Of course, these days, truth is often the greatest offender of them all.

soldout
soldout 11/15/09 - 10:45 pm
All sin is a choice. God

All sin is a choice. God wouldn't make something a sin and then make you unable to avoid it. He called it a sin because it destroys His creation. All sex is a choice. Our choice of sin doesn't make us special or give us special rights. Homosexually cost society plenty of money through sickness just like alcohol and smoking. Sin will take you further than you intended to go and cost you more than you intended to pay. We are to hate all sin and love all people if we follow God's teachings. The Bible says in the end times they will call wrong right. There is no sin more exciting or better than a personal relationship with the creator of the universe who will place His spirit in you and that spirit knows all things. As a bonus you get peace, joy and a eternal life living with Him. What a deal! You can't get a deal like that from the devil.

jedex6
jedex6 11/15/09 - 11:08 pm
It makes no difference what a

It makes no difference what a bunch of myths written in the pre-scientific age say. Do Christians shun science and read the bible when their children get sick with cancer? Of course not. But they never admit the hypocrisy they are guilty of. Should we look to the bible for an answer to the riddle of homosexuality? No, and for the same reason that we look to modern medicine, and not a book of myths and fairy tales, to treat sickness. Gil Ward is well known for his insanity and homophobia. J.R. Barrett, hopefully, will get wise and not waste time considering the baseless opinions of the ignorant and hopelessly out of touch Mr. Ward. He is to be ignored by all those who live in the reality based world. The religiously deluded are free to wallow in the vile hatred he spews. Many posts that follow wll be illustrative of my point.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 11/15/09 - 11:21 pm
Jed, I didn't see any hateful

Jed, I didn't see any hateful spewing here -- just reasonable comments. Me thinks thou dost protest far too much. Strike a little too close to home, maybe? You compare apples and oranges in your diatribe against Christians. Cancer and homosexuality are not both diseases are they, as you seem to suggest? No reasonable person would look for a medical cure for cancer in the Bible, which never claims to be a science textbook. However, the Bible does indeed claim to be a moral compass -- but, of course, you have the freedom to reject it. Point is, the Bible calls homosexuality a moral matter, and it deals with the moral implications. Fair enough. Lastly, what in the world is a "homophobe"? I've never ever met anyone who is afraid of homosexuality. What is there to fear about a gay person (unless they have a gun or AIDS)? This term is something concocted by people with an agenda of trying to put down those who oppose the homosexual lifestyle. This is a failed attempt. From your comments, it is clear that anyone who disagrees with your democratically-verified minority viewpoint is "insane". That's sad and very narrow-minded on your part, don't you think?

disssman
disssman 11/15/09 - 11:22 pm
Well J.R it sure as he!!

Well J.R it sure as he!! bothers soldiers who have to take a shower in a field environment. And given the high rate of HIV infection, I am not so sure a soldier wants to be saddled with tending a bloody wounded comrade on the battlefield. Other than that, I don't really have a proble with homosexuals or lesbians. Further, I agree with them marrying and living a peaceful and rewarding life as they want. Personally, I have never met a homosexual that was anything but a gentleman with strong family values.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/16/09 - 12:10 am
I find numerous errors in the

I find numerous errors in the rambling LTE. (first) The radically theoretical homo-gene is fringe science. (second) Every person that isn't raped decides what kind of sex they will have each time they have sex. That's choice. Some choose hetero, some homo, some both and the more adventurous throw in some bestiality. (third) Democracy IS majority rule. (fourth) Yes, religious views can be forced on others. Thou shall not kill is a good example. (fifth) All of the laws that apply to heteros apply to [filtered word]. Example: neither sexual choice can marry someone of the same sex. (sixth) If the homosexual choice were a private and personal matter, no one would know about it but those involved. Almost always, when controversy arises because of the homo choice, it's because the homo wishes to flaunt his choice, but doesn't want the hetero to express an opinion of it.

jorjadude
jorjadude 11/16/09 - 12:37 am
@disssman--HIV does not only

@disssman--HIV does not only infect homosexuals. That is just silly to think that a soldier would not want to tend to a person's injuries because they "may be gay" therefore they "may have HIV". Women now account for 43% of all HIV infected people over the age of 15. Should we not allow females in the military?

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" and other bigoted ideas force these "gentlemen" further in the closet.

People why do you care??? How does someone's love for another concern or affect you? Live your life and allow others to live theirs.

People preach against gay marriage because of the fear that it will diminish the sanctity of marriage. Yet these same people will divorce without a word of discouragement from their "christian" friends. If we are basing civil (government) marriage on the bible then should people not be allowed to divorce.

Malachi 2:16: 'I hate divorce, says the LORD God of Israel.' According to the Bible, marriage is a lifetime commitment. 'So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate' (Matthew 19:6).

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/16/09 - 12:49 am
jedex, strange post. The only

jedex, strange post. The only two I saw that mention hate are you and J.R. Your post seems to be somewhat heterophobic.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 11/16/09 - 01:35 am
I could care less what

I could care less what homosexuals do. That's their perogative. But a marriage is between a man and a woman, always has been. I have no problem with civil unions. Can have the same rules, but don't call it marriage, you have yours, let us have ours. If you do not want heterosexuals infringing on your rights, don't infringe on ours and try to change the meaning of something as special to heteros as marriage. Its like taking a pinto stationwagon and putting horse emblems on it, its not a mustang, don't call it one. You give it a new name if you wish to create something different. It will still have 4 wheels, a motor, lights, horse emblems etc.... but its not a mustang, so don't call it one. May not be the best example, but thats my opinion.

RoadKing
RoadKing 11/16/09 - 02:59 am
I found it interesting that

I found it interesting that he used the words .... "leaves a bad taste in my mouth".

justus4
justus4 11/16/09 - 04:06 am
This subject is a difficult

This subject is a difficult one, but to be honest, men & women being together must be something bad. It can't be something that's normal because there never was a geographical area found where there were only homosexuals, so comparing their condition to being a person of color is insulting and ignorant. (Most African-Americans were brought from West Africa to America) So, there has never been an area where only homosexuals lived, which means discrimination against them is different than people of color. Then, U have the obvious difference which is: When a person of color walks into a room, everyone knows his distinction, but a homosexual individual is not obvious to the eye - again, a huge difference. So, should they be allowed to marry? No! They should be allowed to have Civil Unions to permit legal processes to occur, but not call it a marriage - call it a Union. So, thats where we are going with this issue, but please stop making a comparison to minority citizens. It does not help ya win favor and it gives the appearance of a weak intellectual argument.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 11/16/09 - 04:36 am
"Most African-Americans were

"Most African-Americans were brought from West Africa to America" Justus, as always, living in the past. Name one AA who lives today that was brought to America against his/her will. Get over it and help create a better world for all of us----for today and tommorrow---despite the past----and because of the past!!!

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/16/09 - 06:06 am
EVERYTHING should be

EVERYTHING should be allowed.That way,NOBODY could complain.We really don't need ANY guidelines about anything.Everyone should be able to do as they please,no matter what or who it affects.We already tolerate muslims raping and killing women,how much more "tolerant"can we be?We tolerate murder-"he just snapped".We tolerate child molesters-"he/she is just sick".

jamesj
jamesj 11/16/09 - 06:32 am
I'll bet thats not the only

I'll bet thats not the only thing that leaves a bad taste in your mouth...

TechLover
TechLover 11/16/09 - 06:48 am
Dang RK and james, you beat

Dang RK and james, you beat me to the bad pun. Strange, in the copies of the Bible I have, the Old Testament seems to indicate marriage was between a man and LOTS of women and, in some cases, throw in a few concubines for good measure.

jamesj
jamesj 11/16/09 - 06:54 am
We cannot allow gay marriage

We cannot allow gay marriage in Georgia,You cannot pass a law that breaks another law. Gay sex is illegal.

mercyme
mercyme 11/16/09 - 07:14 am
Mr. Barret, homosexuals do

Mr. Barret, homosexuals do hurt people when they marry someone of the opposite sex pretending to be someone they are not. They have children pretending to be straight, then all of a sudden decide they can not continue to live the lie ,whose life is ruined then? Answer that!!! If that is not wrong, I don't know what is!!! If you want to live the homo lifestyle you need to do it and keep it in your own community of other homosexual people. And by the way, it is wrong. The Bible is the word of God and He says it is!!!!! I go with that" You can make fun of the Bible thumping people but it will be you that is enlightened in the end!!!!

nofrills
nofrills 11/16/09 - 07:15 am
This letter should have never

This letter should have never made it to the AC. You want to be a pole rider well that's your choice but when you sissy's bring it out in public and wave it in my face in front of my family and grandchildren, then I have a huge problem with it. I'm raising my family to believe in family values. I don't want them to ever think being gay is okay. Being gay isn't ok! You're going against nature. You think you should have the right to act like a girl in front of my kids! You think it's alright to kiss another man in front of my kids! I will promise you this. The rest of the world may be numb to all you gays but if you act like a freak in front of my family I will extend my rights as an American right up your back side as I am directing you away from me. Do I care if you're offended? No! Do I care if you get hurt? No! Now sissy go cry on that one!

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/16/09 - 07:18 am
I do not know about Gay sex

I do not know about Gay sex being illegal, however I do not feel that they should be "married".

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/16/09 - 07:18 am
James, a lot of things we

James, a lot of things we Heterosexual do, are illegal.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/16/09 - 07:20 am
Although I'm against gay

Although I'm against gay marriage and personally believe that being gay is a sin, maybe it isn't such a bad idea for them to be together especially if it is caused by a "gay gene". Eventually, if they do not procreate then the gene should die out and no one will have to worry about it in say 100 or 200 years. Gay conservatives quietly live their lives, while liberal gays demand legislated respect.

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/16/09 - 07:23 am
Nofrills, I guess you do not

Nofrills, I guess you do not have a problem when the " straight" people wave it in front of your and your family faces? I know of no cases cited where seeing a " Gay' couple expressing their affection for each other had resulted in a straight person suddenly turning Gay. I believe in family values and morals however I try ti teach my values to them and have faith that my children were listening. So far, so good.

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/16/09 - 07:25 am
So as long as they are quiet

So as long as they are quiet it is okay? I guess you just supported the fact that the Liberals fight the battles while the Conservatives enjoy the spoils of victory.

nofrills
nofrills 11/16/09 - 07:39 am
Look what they want to do

Look what they want to do behind closed doors is one thing. The problem begins with when they want to wave it in our face. It tears down the fibers of everything we stand for. I don't expect anybody to think like me but be glad there are people like me who are willing to stand up for true family values. We are slowly allowing our morals to be expanded to make it an acceptable way of life. I don't claim to be no holy roller but I do have a good sense of fair play.

TechLover
TechLover 11/16/09 - 07:52 am
Like Newt, Mark Sanford,

Like Newt, Mark Sanford, Glenn Richardson, John Ensign, Mike Duvall, Bob Allen, Larry Craig, David Vitter, Mark Foley, Ted Haggard, Jeff Miller, Don Sherwood, Ed Schrock, Henry Hyde, Mike Bowers, Ken Calvert, Jimmy Swaggart, et al.

confederate american
confederate american 11/16/09 - 07:56 am
jr-god said a man is not to

jr-god said a man is not to lay down with another man,that is good enough for me.and don't give me that crap they are born that way.if it was meant to be that way,why can't they bare children

Back to story
Back to story 11/16/09 - 07:58 am
I've seen a Gay Pride Parade.

I've seen a Gay Pride Parade. If that represents the gay culture then count me on the side of the 'Bible thumpers'!

nofrills
nofrills 11/16/09 - 08:03 am
You help make my point

You help make my point techlover. We have enough problems to deal with in the family unit. Think about if we allowed gays to marry. To allow gays too have adopted kids or go buy a kid then you add hundreds of other issues.

TechLover
TechLover 11/16/09 - 08:06 am
We evidently need to stop

We evidently need to stop heteros from marrying and having kids as well.