You want honesty on race? All right

I keep hearing that we need to have "an honest discussion about race." When I hear that statement, my immediate thought is: Haven't we been discussing it a little too much for too long? And where has the discussion brought us?

But hey, if you want an honest discussion about race, here it is: I am white. You are black. If you think I'm prejudiced toward you, there's nothing I can say to make you think otherwise, so why should I talk to you? And the truth is, I don't much care what you think of me.

Furthermore, if you are worrying about whether I'm prejudiced against you, then you care too much about what others think of you. You need to stop worrying about me and take care of your own business.

Robert John Roushar Jr.

North Augusta, S.C.

justus4
justus4 11/13/09 - 04:26 am
Ol' Rob have a bad memory and

Ol' Rob have a bad memory and can't be trusted to offer an intelligent opinion on matters of race, however, he can speak his mind regardless of the size of it. Now, if this guy is a supervisor, he is harboring prejudice and will exercise that prejudice by give the minority worker a poor performance evaluation, which ruins that minority's opportunity to advance. (secret: that's a common tactic in federal jobs & gov't jobs to keep only 1 or 2 minorities in top mgmt) Now, on regular jobs this guy just openly operate with discrimination and the poor minority just gotta take it - nothing different than the 60s. But ol' Rob fails to properly address one important fact: The history! Using his logic, we all started out equal. There is evidence that that theroy is wrong, in fact, there is a debt. Of course ol' Rob probably don't like paying debts, but an "honest" debate demands the truth - not how one FEELS - but the facts. Theres nothing wrong with being prejudice, but don't work for the federal government, city, or law enforcement because THEN U are in violation of federal policy...because of your history. Yep, the discussion must have FACTS, and THAT is why it's avoided like the plague.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/13/09 - 04:41 am
I did NOT see one FACT in

I did NOT see one FACT in your post,just a lot of racist remarks.Post some of the FACTS that you so often request others to post.NO opinion-JUST FACTS. Go ahead,give it a try.

xanadu
xanadu 11/13/09 - 05:32 am
y'all need to ignore justus,

y'all need to ignore justus, he's confused and apparently not ready to relinquish his hate and paranoia about the rest of the human race yet. give him time. eventually the moisture behind his ears will dry and he will wake up just like those kittens in that joke some guy wrote in yesterday. in the meantime, let him rant in his posts but do like i do and don't bother reading them anymore.

belle
belle 11/13/09 - 07:52 am
sorry xanadu, gotta do

sorry xanadu, gotta do it....justus...If you believe no black person should ever have a government job we are all in a world of hurt because if the current administration has their way there will be nothing but government jobs in our future. The administration is doing every thing they can to destroy small business. They want to control it all. Want proof? Read Obama's televised speech on Health Care.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/13/09 - 07:57 am
See Cloward-Piven/obama

See Cloward-Piven/obama

soldout
soldout 11/13/09 - 10:02 am
good letter; lots of truth.

good letter; lots of truth. We aren't here to make people like us; we are to love and bless our fellow man. Christ was perfect but wasn't liked by a lot of folks so you and I being imperfect won't do better. Saved and un-saved is the dividing line; not color. Never seen two Christians of any color that couldn't have a good relationship because they both knew they answer to God about what they do and say in their relationship. Sin is always the problem; Christ is always the answer. That is as complex as it gets and history shows ALL other approaches fail.

TechLover
TechLover 11/13/09 - 10:09 am
"You need to stop worrying

"You need to stop worrying about me and take care of your own business.You need to focus on your career, your family and your own spiritual life. If you are busy doing that, you won't have time to worry about what others think. Stop waiting for the whole world to like you. It won't happen."
I can see Mr Roushar telling this to Jesus.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 11/13/09 - 10:18 am
Techlover- Read the bible.

Techlover- Read the bible. Jesus is not prejudiced.

john
john 11/13/09 - 10:20 am
Tech, I think what the author

Tech, I think what the author was trying to say, is that if you take advantage of all the great opportunities this wonderful country has to offer instead of being a victim, you will find happyness. At least thats what I got from it.

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/13/09 - 10:25 am
I wonder who are the ones

I wonder who are the ones playing " Victim"? All I hear whining on this forum are people who claim to be White. I am very content with my life, as are a lot of other people that I know.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 11/13/09 - 10:26 am
Most whites are prejudiced

Most whites are prejudiced against other whites. Ask the old "white boss" to give a white boy a chance, and if he does, the white boy will only rise as far as the "white boss" wants him to go. If the white boy starts to get in a position where he is a threat to "white boss", he will be conveniently transferred or terminated. And this is the truth what I am telling you with my right hand raised while my left does the typing.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/13/09 - 10:30 am
Whatever happened to "content

Whatever happened to "content of a man's character not the color of his skin". It's so sad that so many people (white and black) continue to focus on this issue when we have SO many other things to worry about right now.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 11/13/09 - 10:38 am
Yeah, like when America gets

Yeah, like when America gets renamed the Obamanation?

soldout
soldout 11/13/09 - 10:40 am
the problem is "character"

the problem is "character" and not "color" so what King wanted has happened. It was always character whether white or black. Laws can't fix character.

deekster
deekster 11/13/09 - 11:02 am
It is all about "culture".

It is all about "culture". Some whites and blacks want to retain their traditional cultures. These cultures conflict. Once we were a nation that absorbed many "cultures" into one national "American Culture". The great melting pot. Now we praise "diversity" and have become a mixed salad covered with nuts. Thus our great Socialist government has used the greatest tool for control ever invented. Divide and conquer. So called "civil rights" was the hammer. Great Britain used it in Ireland. Catholics against the Protestants. No color issues, just religion/culture. Peoples of any race can work together when they have the same goal.

dashiel
dashiel 11/13/09 - 11:04 am
You make a great point, Tech

You make a great point, Tech Lover. Jesus didn't crucify Himself.

TheCloser
TheCloser 11/13/09 - 11:06 am
When a man of no character is

When a man of no character is elected POTUS due to color, then indeed the dream of MLK hasn't been realized.

andywarhol
andywarhol 11/13/09 - 11:06 am
I love everytime that I meet

I love everytime that I meet minorities within the U.S. that migrated here and see that most of them are doing very well for themselves. It's easy to succeed when you stop playing the victim. So many people hold themselves back from progressing forward.

TheCloser
TheCloser 11/13/09 - 11:09 am
Well said Deekster (10.02) &

Well said Deekster (10.02) & Andy (10.06)

TheCloser
TheCloser 11/13/09 - 11:10 am
Andy: a perfect example of a

Andy: a perfect example of a minority immigrant who's done well for themselves : Barack Hussein Obama.

cparker
cparker 11/13/09 - 11:18 am
Good letter... Heck some

Good letter... Heck some people hate me for being successful!! Regardless, I still want some of that stimulus money to payoff my truck. If Obama is giving away all this money for free, can someone tell me where to sign up?

AWyld1
AWyld1 11/13/09 - 11:23 am
I think some blacks think

I think some blacks think whites sit around and dwell on issues with blacks. In reality? No white people I associate with even talk about it. It's not really an issue with anyone I know. I have found that there is ignorance in people no matter their color. I see it everyday in the comments sections. There are just as many racist whites as there are blacks. Makes it easier to read the comments. You can learn pretty quick which ones to skip over. Saves a lot of time.

disssman
disssman 11/13/09 - 11:42 am
The only problem I have with

The only problem I have with Robs letter is his attempt to classify my race as white. I abhore the use of that term for the Caucasian race and really prefer to be called European Caucasian because that is the source of my heritage. There is no such thing as a color white. In fact white is the absence of color and the typing background I am using is a long ways from the color of my fingers on the keyboard. So in conclusion, please respect my desires and quit using a term that really upsets me and my race.

john
john 11/13/09 - 11:59 am
I think there was an honest

I think there was an honest discusson on race in NY with a couple Columbia Univ. people in a bar.

terry67
terry67 11/13/09 - 12:08 pm
If we were all one color,

If we were all one color, lets say blue, then we would find different reasons to dislike each other. Religon, where we are from, body,(fat-skinny-tall-short) anything that is different can and will be used as ammo to be prejudiced! Unfortunatly HATE is easier for ppl than LOVE.

terry67
terry67 11/13/09 - 12:11 pm
I think there was an honest

Posted by john on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 AM

Prime example of HATE

Black College Professor Punches White Woman in the Face Following Racially-Charged Argument

TheCloser
TheCloser 11/13/09 - 12:16 pm
It far easier to discover the

It far easier to discover the differences amongst us than to actually take the time and effort needed to discover similarities. I forsee no change in the future.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 11/13/09 - 12:29 pm
My old drill sergeant once

My old drill sergeant once said, "I don't care what color you are - you are all green to me!" That was encouraging to most of us. Then he said, "You dark green ones get over there and dig that ditch!" Yikes! Old joke.

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 11/13/09 - 02:29 pm
OH. People can work together

OH. People can work together if they have the same goal??? As long as it's YOUR goal deek.

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 11/13/09 - 02:31 pm
Whats wrong with differences?

Whats wrong with differences? You all want similiarities, so everyone will think and feel and act like you do. THEN they will be accepted. You all are jokes.