All God's creatures need to be given loving care

"All creatures of our God and King, lift up your voice and with us sing."

Back | Next
Rev. Dan White  Special
Special
Rev. Dan White

-- St. Francis of Assisi, 1225

The faraway look in her eyes spoke of loneliness and a hunger for love. My wife and I previewed all of the pictures on the Web site. We kept coming back to her. Her forlorn look tugged at our heartstrings. She was the one.

We filled out the application, went through the screening process, and on Sept. 5, we made the trip to Woodstock, Ga., to bring her home.

Joyce Flowers, the director of Peach State Sheltie Rescue, told us the pitiful creature's story.

The little Shetland sheepdog was rescued in July from a puppy mill. They also rescued one of her puppies, who is still too sickly to adopt and is being tenderly cared for in a foster home.

Mrs. Flowers explained that truckers play a vital role in transporting rescued dogs at no charge. That was how she got our dog to Woodstock. God bless these truckers.

Our new pet was a female breeder. She had been nothing more than a money-making machine, bred again and again, as soon as her puppies were weaned. A money machine isn't named, but a creature loved and cared for merits naming. We call her "Lady."

This little dog had spent all five of her years in a cage. Dirty water, minimum rations and nasty conditions from excrement accumulations were her lot in life. After a breeder's days of reproducing are over, she is shot.

Lady's left hind paw has been gnawed off by another dog that was caged with her. This causes her to limp. Her nails curled around and had grown into her paws. The vet that works with the rescue operation gently trimmed her nails so that she could walk without pain. Her coat was brittle like straw.

My wife tenderly held the trembling dog as I drove home. Lady bucked like a wild stallion trying to burst through the windshield while I drove through the traffic on Interstate 285 around Atlanta. Panic controlled her. She settled down and went to sleep in my wife's arms after we cleared Atlanta.

Trauma had taken its toll on Lady. Two weeks passed before she could bark. On that magical day, she also sort of wagged her tail, which had been tucked under her from years of maltreatment.

Lady now receives hand-outs from the table and does the "Sheltie-circle" from excitement and wags her tail. She is acting more and more like a dog should. She entertains us with her "wow" reaction of eating new and exciting scraps from our meals. She has even taken up residence in our bed, in my spot of all places, and gives me a dirty look when I come to bed as if to say, "This is my new momma and my spot. Go sleep on the couch!"

Lady is returning our love many times over.

How can anyone be so cruel and unfeeling toward such a kind, gentle creature given by the grace of God for companionship and blessings?

It is sinful. Author and poet Will Judy wrote, "He who kicks a dog kicks his own soul towards hell."

In St. John's apocalyptic visions, he hears the worship of all creatures towards their Creator: "Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!" (Revelation 5:13, New International Version).

Lady can now join all the creatures in singing praises to the redeeming Lamb, for she is bathed in love flowing from the love of Christ in us for the abused and forgotten.

May God bless all of those who care for the weak, abused and neglected, whether they be human or animal.

The Rev. Dan White is the pastor of North Columbia Church in Appling.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 11/07/09 - 03:32 am
Bravo to the White family, to

Bravo to the White family, to the Peach State rescue people, the truckers, and to Lady herself for all she has endured. Bless and keep all of you ever in His gentle care.

smbga
smbga 11/07/09 - 07:52 am
if only I had the means to

if only I had the means to take in dogs like this. they are so wonderful to have. it thrills me to hear of stories such as this one.

the_source
the_source 11/07/09 - 03:59 pm
Looks delicious! Yummm!

Looks delicious! Yummm!

elliemae
elliemae 11/07/09 - 08:26 pm
This is absolutely the most

This is absolutely the most inspirational story I've read in a long long time. Thank God for all the people involved in saving these helpless animals. Your blessings now with the love you receive from Lady are immense, your blessings in Heaven are unimaginable. Thank you for sharing your story.

tinytuna
tinytuna 11/07/09 - 11:25 pm
What a wonderful and

What a wonderful and inspiring story. It touched my heart. We are responsible for the care of the creatures that God sends into our lives. He sends them to comfort us. They give so much to us with their unconditional love, just like our Father in Heaven. The story of Noah's Ark is in the Bible for a reason. I do believe there will be all sorts of creatures in Heaven.

sassylassie
sassylassie 11/07/09 - 11:41 pm
What a beautiful story!

What a beautiful story! Perhaps you have inspired others to adopt one of God's creatures today. Dogs such as this have much love to share and will bond with their owners who return that love. I have a feeling that Lady will be a blessing to many. God bless the selfless individuals who rescued her, cared for her, transported her and took her in!!!! I especially appreciate the truckers who donate their road miles and time to transport these animals to homes of love. Keep up the good work, Sheltie Rescue, and may your other "orphans" find such wonderful homes as Lady's! My rescued shelter pets and I wish each of the individuals credited with Lady's rescue God's blessings!!!!!!

happychimer
happychimer 11/07/09 - 11:43 pm
This is a beautiful story. It

This is a beautiful story. It warms my heart. I don't see how anyone can be cruel to animals. Thanks to everyone involved in saving this loving pet.

mmgram
mmgram 11/08/09 - 09:40 am
There is a special place in

There is a special place in hell for people who abuse poor defenseless dogs...

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/08/09 - 11:33 am
I"d like to put in a word

I"d like to put in a word here for rescue transports, which I drive pretty much every weekend. It's not just truckers--there's a huge network of rescue organizations and transport drivers who pull dogs from kill shelters and get them to a variety of rescues--breed rescues are only only kind. Most volunteers don't care what kind of dog it is, we just want to save a life. If you're interested, contact a local rescue organization and they will put you in touch.

WW1949
WW1949 11/08/09 - 01:31 pm
Mine and my wife's love for

Mine and my wife's love for animals of any kind is great. Tears are running down my cheek in joy for this lovely pet and for the others that are not so fortunate to find a loving family. We sat on our porch with our three in front of the fireplace this morning enjoying them and they us. We enjoy dipping our fingers in the coffee cup and letting them have a taste, giving them a piece of bacon and looking at the love they have in their eyes and tails for us. It makes life better.

mable8
mable8 11/08/09 - 05:36 pm
What a wonderful story; it is

What a wonderful story; it is great to read something that is positive about the human race. I am grateful for those who work with the neglected and abused animals, giving them a voice to be heard.