'The worst bill ever'

Protected by oceans and a strong military, America has faced relatively few serious domestic threats in its still-young lifetime.

But some consider the Democrats' massive health-care "reform" effort to be one of the gravest.

Why? For some very good reasons.

For one thing, this country is already well on the way to financial insolvency. Our debt is about $12 trillion, we're adding over $1 trillion a year right now -- and future unfunded costs of Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid are in the neighborhood of $100 trillion.

We're broke. And yet, the Democratic Congress is barreling toward another $1 trillion health-care entitlement we can't afford.

Even the Chinese, perhaps our best creditors, are balking at our out-of-control spending. And we seem to be on the road toward currency failure and hyperinflation, a path taken by the Weimar Republic and others in history.

Yet, the threat to our financial system, as mammoth as it is, is dwarfed by the threat to our freedoms. One economist has estimated the federal government is now in control of 30 percent of the U.S. economy. Adding health care would increase its control to about 48 percent.

That's not the America you grew up in.

As deliberation of the nearly 2,000-page Nancy Pelosi health-care bill nears late this week, Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., called on Americans to show up at the Capitol on Thursday for a massive "House Call," as a show of unity to oppose what The Wall Street Journal flat-out called "the worst bill ever."

Thousands of Tea Party activists converged on the Capitol, unleashing shouts of "Kill the bill!" and "You work for us!"

That sentiment also is being reflected among independent voters, who The Washington Post said "are wary of (President) Obama's far-reaching proposals and mounting spending, as well as the growing federal debt."

Remember, these same independents helped elect Obama last year. And now they realize in a moment of clarity that health care as pushed by the Democrats would financially break this country, and give its people a flawed program that a majority clearly doesn't want.

"In two months, (Democrats have) forgotten the message that the American people sent loud and clear in August," Bachmann said.

We're not so sure.

We don't think they listened to begin with.

The result: The House speaker has put her weight behind a bill that the House Republican Conference claims creates 111 new federal bureaucracies.

"This is so important," Bachmann told HumanEvents.com, "because this health care vote represents the crown jewel of socialism -- socialized medicine is the crown jewel of socialism."

The Wall Street Journal worries the Pelosi bill or some other incarnation of reform will create "a new and probably unrepealable middle-class entitlement that is designed to expand over time. Taxes will need to rise precipitously, even as ObamaCare so dramatically expands government control of health care that eventually all medicine will be rationed via politics.

"Mr. Obama rode into office on a wave of 'change,' " the Journal concludes, "but we doubt most voters realized that the change Democrats had in mind was making health care even more expensive and rigid than the status quo. Critics will say we are exaggerating, but we believe it is no stretch to say that Mrs. Pelosi's handiwork ranks with the Smoot-Hawley tariff and FDR's National Industrial Recovery Act as among the worst bills Congress has ever seriously contemplated."

Sounds like a pretty serious threat to us.

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/06/09 - 02:51 am
We're broke. And yet, the

We're broke. And yet, the Augusta commission is barreling toward another multi-million dollar white elephant we can't afford.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/06/09 - 04:48 am
They area against Healthcare

They area against Healthcare reform because it is 'welfare', we 'don't need it', and it is 'too expensive' yet they support building the TEE which is 'corporate welfare' that we 'don't need' and is 'too expensive!' Hypocrites!

MyChronicleUserAccount
MyChronicleUserAccount 11/06/09 - 06:05 am
Brad, no wonder Hali Tiki

Brad, no wonder Hali Tiki went out of business......you are for the free health care cause you want everyone else to pay your bills. The TEE center might bring intelligent people here from elsewhere, that will spend money, create jobs and they might even move their businesses here if they like what they see. Got to get productive people here, not people asking for handouts.

jebko
jebko 11/06/09 - 06:06 am
FairTax NOW!

FairTax NOW!

justus4
justus4 11/06/09 - 06:17 am
Blah, Blah, Blah, with the

Blah, Blah, Blah, with the say anything croud. The "worst" bill ever demonstrates a poor grasp of the historical facts. Gen. William T. Sherman issued Field Order No. 15 in January of 1865 setting aside forty (40) acres and a mule, exclusively for Black settlements along the James River. This Order was deemed the worst bill ever by U know who, and they took extreme measures, including murders and violence, to avoid it being enacted. It seems today that some people will say almost anything.

jaschild
jaschild 11/06/09 - 06:32 am
i completely agree, justus4:

i completely agree, justus4: field order no. 15 was the worst non-legislated directive ever conceived. thank goodness pres. johnson revoked it rather than allowing one group of people to steal from another group as a form of punishment. as for health care reform, it'll never happen.

carcraft
carcraft 11/06/09 - 06:41 am
I really do believe Pelosi

I really do believe Pelosi suffers from B*TCHS (biotox injection treatment cranial hyperego syndrome) to much biotox has affected her thinking...

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 11/06/09 - 06:49 am
When a young community

When a young community organizer moved into a leadership role in the early '30s (central europe) he convinced the population that he brought a fine idea and a chance for all to work together to have prosperity for all, readily available food, medical care and housing and a path out of the recession that was blanketing the world. Two years later, the population, having realized their "pie in the sky leader" was tricking them, had to be restrained by the brownshirted followers that STILL couldn't see what was happening right before their eyes. Dang if that exact same story, different location, isn't being repeated today.

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/06/09 - 06:58 am
carcraft, I think you mean

carcraft, I think you mean Botox. Anyway, we were broke a year ago, and two years ago, and three years ago. Irresponsible Republican economic theories and policies pushed us to the brink. I"d like to remind the ever-nostalgic ACES that the "American I grew up in" didn't allow African-American students to enroll at UGA...penalized women for working by paying them less than men across the board...was engaged in a no-win military action that slaughtered many of our soldiers and left others psychologically impaired (and then didn't take CARE of them!)...assassinated our finest leaders...and on and on. I know you pine for a time when the nation was led by old white men and Mom was waiting with cookies and milk when you came home, but it was never "Leave it to Beaver", ACES.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 11/06/09 - 07:00 am
revisionist history rules!!

revisionist history rules!!

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/06/09 - 07:09 am
I'm still waiting for the

I'm still waiting for the supporters of this bill to explain to me why, if this bill has the "option" of paying into it, the president and congress felt it necessary to exempt themselves from it? It shows two things, that it will not be an option, and that it is a bad bill.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 07:15 am
hotFoot - So let me get this

hotFoot - So let me get this right, while not conceding your review of the economic situation over the past 3 years, let's assume you re correct for sake of discussion.These problems existed and Candidate Obama was well aware of them, so one of his big CHAGE vows was to reverse the process. Instead it is painfully obvious it's "more of the same" and even WORSE. Quoting what was wrong, which helped Obama get elected, is not going to fix anything. Please tell us what he is doing to resolve the problems. I know you can't, I just figured I'd put that question out there again. Typical Perfect Obama Supporter.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/06/09 - 07:16 am
MCUA, I am not advocating the

MCUA, I am not advocating the healthcare program, I am against it. I just think it is funny that the same people who oppose this because it is a socialist 'welfare' program, supports the TEE which is the EXACT same thing. No where in my post did I say this bill was good now did I? In fact if you look back on my past postigs you will see I do not support taking my money to give it to someone else to provide something they did not earn. I just love how when public monies are going to rich Republicans like Morris in the form of corporate welfare, it is GREAT and GROWTH, but in the next breath this bill is BAD because of WHO benefits. That is why I called them Hypocrites, beacuse they are. I am against TEE and this Bill FYI.

TechLover
TechLover 11/06/09 - 07:23 am
cite page and line that

cite page and line that exempts Congress please.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/06/09 - 07:26 am
if this is such a great bill

if this is such a great bill why does the bill levey fines against those who dont want to participate. and when does the constitution give the right to lawmakers to make citizens buy something they dont want or feel they dont need. and when there is a public option it will force insurance co. out because they cant compete with the printing power and borrowing power of a corrupt govt. this will only limit choice. and where is tort reform. this bill stinks and its still being amended to make it worse behind closed doors. the final version if voted on saturday will not have the promised 72 hours of review promised by pelosi and obama. get these people voted out in2010. and obama in 2012.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 11/06/09 - 07:27 am
The worst bill ever was the

The worst bill ever was the Authorization to Use Military Force given to President George W. Bush by Congress. That bill has resulted in the deaths of thousands of American soldiers, the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqis, $1 trillion in up front costs (every penny off budget going directly into the national debt), $3 trillion to $7 trillion in long term costs, and ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with ever increasing violence in Pakistan and the strong likelihood of a regional war. Necessary health care = lives saved. Unnecessary war = death, destruction, debt, division, defeat, and demise.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 07:33 am
Page 225 - Section 330 -

Page 225 - Section 330 - permits - but does not require - Members of Congress
to enroll in government-run health care

TechLover
TechLover 11/06/09 - 07:38 am
thanks snm, that's not an

thanks snm, that's not an exemption.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 07:42 am
Silly me, I've grown up all

Silly me, I've grown up all these years thinking that if I was not required to do something, then I was exempt from it. Let me go rethink my entire life while you get some coffee. Do you possess the intellectual and motor skills to make it yourself, or do you need help?

joehill
joehill 11/06/09 - 07:46 am
idiot homophobes, UNITE!!

idiot homophobes, UNITE!!

TechLover
TechLover 11/06/09 - 07:48 am
Since everyone would be

Since everyone would be permitted, but not required to purchase the governent option, everyone is exempt by that thinking. There shouldn't be a problem with it then.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/06/09 - 07:52 am
TECH, are you really that

TECH, are you really that stupid? SS was begun as voluntary in 1937. That ended, under a Dem congress I might add. Congress and the president have their own healthcare, and have exempted themselves from this "wonderful" bill. What rock have you been under?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/06/09 - 07:57 am
necessary health care=lives

necessary health care=lives saved. what does this mean?? no one by law can be turned down for health care now. when those who dont have health care learn to budget their money do away with cell phones, beer, lotto tickets or other unnecessary expenses then lets talk. priorities in life are personel resposibilities not mine. our poor are rich compared to the worlds poor. reform is needed.. but not this... b/4 you take from others please demand personel responsability first.

TechLover
TechLover 11/06/09 - 08:06 am
I have my own healthcare

I have my own healthcare through my employer, as do a couple of thousand at the hospital. OMG, we're exempted too! They're not exempt under this any more than you or I.

TechLover
TechLover 11/06/09 - 08:17 am
AC: Please keep using Michele

AC: Please keep using Michele "get your hand off of me, this is the State of the Union" Bachman as your source in editorials. 'When your captain's crazy, it's time to find a new ship,' a fellow republican talking about her trouble keeping staff members.

TechLover
TechLover 11/06/09 - 08:24 am
nofan: Yes, hospitals are

nofan: Yes, hospitals are required to treat and stabilze you if you show up at the ER. They will bill you, and if you can'y pay they add the losses to what you and I pay. They also aren't going to be giving you chemo, meds to treat your diabetes or high blood pressure, so you keep going back on an emergency basis, snowballing the hospital's unpaid treatments. We call them frequent flyers. Run out of meds, illness becomes critical and they're back again and again.

Troubled1
Troubled1 11/06/09 - 08:35 am
the level of denial coming

the level of denial coming from people like tech is amazing, the reality check will be devastating for them when it finally comes.....those of you on here thinking that there is no way that it will happen, and you can just set back and do nothing, having confidence that congress will stop it are also in denial just as deep as tech's........

zardoz35
zardoz35 11/06/09 - 08:45 am
I don't think the heath care

I don't think the heath care reform bill goes anywhere near enough. This country is already the "home of the brave and the land of the fee". I am covered by Medicare and a private insurer and still wind up paying the doctors anyway. My father (89yo), with the same situtation, has to do the same thing. I don't want to imagine how those folks with only one coverage (or none) can possibly survive medical costs!!
I can only hope those fools who rail against a public option plan are lucky enough to suffer very serious medical problems. Nobody believes it can happen to them, especially those to don't want help for anyone else. Good luck!!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/06/09 - 08:47 am
i understand this techlover

i understand this techlover but those who want this massive bill state there is NO treatment for the uninsured. im not against reform i am against stipidity in this bill. but b/4 any more is asked of taxpayers we need responasibility on behalf of those who want free care. everyone must contribute. also half of the health care is administered by the govt. the arguement they can do it cheaper is absurd.. and proven untrue by the govt current performance. the govt is full of waste and fraud. and reform needs tort reform how about tort reform where loser pays... this would cause truly needed lawsuits to goe forward while others to never see the light of day. this would save billions.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/06/09 - 08:51 am
How do I know it is the

How do I know it is the "worst bill ever". Nancy Pelosi (you know, the lady on the broom) will not let me see or read it. Stated yesterday by our lying facts news.