Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Fort Gordon undergoing $133 million in projects

The construction and renovation of Fort Gordon's aging barracks continue as the post enters its fourth year since surviving a nationwide round of military base reductions and closures.

A total of 35 projects costing $133 million are ongoing -- with the largest being work to renovate the 1960s-era "rolling-pin" style barracks and several administrative buildings.

Phil Pain, a resident engineer for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, said work on a 300-bed barracks will start early next year.

"After the holidays we will start to see some construction happening," he said.

Fort Gordon has also received about $15 million from the federal stimulus act, which will be used for improving roads, parking lots, bridges, roofing and other structures, according to retired Army Col. Thom Tuckey, a former garrison commander at the fort and the executive director of the CSRA Alliance for Fort Gordon. An additional $19 million in stimulus funds are providing for repairs and renovations at Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center.

"You won't go anywhere out there without seeing construction," Mr. Tuckey said.

Work has begun on three new child care centers and an expansion of Freedom Park Elementary School, which will soon go up to the eighth grade. The school work is being funded by the special purpose local option sales tax.

New construction and investment by the government bodes well for the post should another round of base closures occur.

However, "military value" should be the top consideration when making recommendations for base realignment and closure, according to Defense Department documents. This means changes in the Army's mission could rank higher than the fort's funding and community support.

Still, officials said they are happy with the growth taking place.

The 67th Signal Battalion was recently brought to full strength, adding more than 100 military personnel. Also, more people are coming to Fort Gordon as part of the new 7th Signal Command. The command, which was announced last year and will be under the command of Brig. Gen. Jennifer Napper, is expected to be based at Fort Gordon by 2010. About 200 additional civilian employees for the command will be arriving in the next few months.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/05/09 - 06:01 am
Now this is a use of Stimulus

Now this is a use of Stimulus money that I agree with....national defense.

robbie1
robbie1 11/05/09 - 06:08 am
Badly needed and long

Badly needed and long overdue. I was a private in those barracks in 91 and they needed it then. I was last there in 08 and they still needed it.

haganr
haganr 11/05/09 - 09:20 am
Phil Pain, really? I can't

Phil Pain, really? I can't stop laughing, the irony is killing me.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/05/09 - 10:58 am
I am always glad to see my

I am always glad to see my tax $$ go to the troops. I lived in ancient WWII barracks at Ft. Gordon in 1967-68!

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 11/05/09 - 11:35 am
Haganr, is making a joke

Haganr, is making a joke about someone's name the most intelligent thing you can comment about? Shame on you!

jack
jack 11/05/09 - 12:29 pm
Glad to see my $$ go for the

Glad to see my $$ go for the troops. Wonder where they will get all that union labor around here required by BimbObama's porkulus package?

disssman
disssman 11/05/09 - 06:21 pm
Jack you may be interested in

Jack you may be interested in knowing that the military construction is covered by the Davis Bacon Act which requires all subcontractors to pay union scale wages. If it wasn't for the act, you can bet the contractors would be paying minimum wages for all construction and charging the same contract price. I am still trying to figure out who you mean by the cute little terminology BimObama. Is that a southern thing like Jim-Bob or Bubba Joe or something similar? And the word porkulus, i guess is like the contractors hired by "W' and Cheney in Iraq with no competition.

imdstuf
imdstuf 11/05/09 - 07:26 pm
What? Government spending?

What? Government spending? Communism! HAHA!

Soldier
Soldier 02/25/10 - 05:03 pm
I am glad that the trainees

I am glad that the trainees get renovated barrracks. However, I must say I'm very disappointed that the junior enlisted permanent party barracks are not receiving the same treatment. The army has announced the goal to design rooms with private bedrooms and shared living spaces to increase morale yet I am still sharing a tiny room. This will be my home for the next 3 years and I expected just a little privacy atleast.