The bottom line

"There is no (H1N1 flu) vaccine in Guantanamo and there's no vaccine on the way to Guantanamo," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said this week.

Is there a vaccine for talking out of both sides of your mouth? Gibbs technically told the truth, but not the whole truth: The Pentagon admits terror suspects at Gitmo will, indeed, receive the vaccinations after other Department of Defense employees.

And, quite likely, before many deserving and vulnerable American schoolchildren.

That's just wrong on every level.

Local doctors are struggling to get H1N1 vaccines by the end of the month -- too late for at least one local youth, 10-year-old Summer Rockefeller of Harlem, who died of the disease Oct. 10.

Note to White House: Tell the terror detainees to get in line behind our kids!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/05/09 - 05:59 am
Honestly, I doubt any Gitmo

Honestly, I doubt any Gitmo terrorists will take the flu vaccine given by us.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 11/05/09 - 06:38 am
This editorial is so lame on

This editorial is so lame on so many levels.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 11/05/09 - 07:18 am
Wow! Riverman1, WhippingPost

Wow! Riverman1, WhippingPost (Patricia Thomas?), and I are all on the same page!

treerock
treerock 11/05/09 - 07:19 am
go ahead and give the alleged

go ahead and give the alleged terrorists the vaccine, it will do more harm than good. they would do better just by sitting in the sun for about 20 minutes per day or a little longer if their skin is darker.

Roeschen
Roeschen 11/05/09 - 10:26 am
I am not sure what this

I am not sure what this editorial is all about. It seems to be pure conjecture. Is this an attempt to scare some people? I seriously doubt if any of the GITMO detainees will take the vaccine even if offered. I doubt if any vaccines will be taken from American school children.

slippery 25
slippery 25 11/05/09 - 11:15 am
I hope they get the shots

I hope they get the shots since they might be moving to the US!

grouse
grouse 11/05/09 - 11:30 am
If Bush hadn't put them

If Bush hadn't put them there, this wouldn't be a problem...

jack
jack 11/05/09 - 12:39 pm
Grouse, I guess it would have

Grouse, I guess it would have been better to have just shot them, then there definitley would not be a problem at GITMO.

lowellbrown
lowellbrown 11/05/09 - 03:59 pm
They're America's prisoners,

They're America's prisoners, so we're responsible for the 220 or so left at Guantanamo. Like others said, the vaccination is voluntary, and many of the prisoners will likely refuse it. The really sad thing is that some Americans are afraid to get the vaccination or have their children vaccinated because of some really dumb misinformation floating around.

corgimom
corgimom 11/05/09 - 07:51 pm
I guess the AC disregards the

I guess the AC disregards the law when it suits them. The only people in America that are guaranteed health care are prisoners. The unique conditions of prisoners- a whole lot of people packed in to abnormally dense conditions, without options to go elsewhere or to make choices- makes epidemics far more serious than in the normal populations. I would also like to point out to the AC that, according to their own stories, Summer Rockefeller contracted the virus before the vaccine was even available. How inappropriate to use her as an example. Andersonville was a prime example of what happens to prisoners without medical care.

Harmonielehre
Harmonielehre 11/05/09 - 07:53 pm
did Grouse really just blame

did Grouse really just blame Bush for having terrorists in US custody?

30cal
30cal 11/05/09 - 08:11 pm
young healthy man on wall

young healthy man on wall street get shots w/o standing inline but the children elderly and weak go with out NICE CHANGE O.B. just a quick look of what we ill see with your new health plan