Teacher accused of sex with student

AIKEN --- An Aiken County schoolteacher was arrested Tuesday on accusations that she engaged in sexual activity with a former student.

Tammy Joy Key, 38, of Cottage Street, was charged with four counts of lewd act and four counts of criminal sexual conduct with a minor, Aiken County sheriff's Sgt. Dave Myers said in a news release. She remains in the Aiken County Detention Center.

Investigators think Ms. Key had sex with a 14-year-old boy between August 2005 and March 2006 at her Graniteville home. She also is accused of committing lewd acts on the victim between August and September 2005 at Leavelle McCampbell Middle School, where she teaches math.

The sheriff's office alerted the Aiken County school district of Ms. Key's arrest Tuesday morning, Sgt. Myers said. The sheriff's office has not been told of any other victims, he said.

The alleged victim was an Aiken County student but is not enrolled at Leavelle McCampbell, said Cecelia Davidson, the associate superintendent for administration.

Ms. Key formerly taught at Langley Bath Clearwater Middle School, said Joyce Stanley, the human resources director.

She was placed on administrative leave with pay after her arrest Tuesday.

"The board of education is the only one that can suspend a teacher's pay," Ms. Stanley said.

The board will meet Tuesday.

Staff writer Julia Sellers contributed to this report.

Reach Stephanie Toone at (803) 648-1395 ext. 110, or stephanie.toone@augustachronicle.com.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/21/09 - 02:22 am
That kid was desperate!

That kid was desperate!

NEone
NEone 10/21/09 - 05:31 am
LOL Brad!

LOL Brad!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 10/21/09 - 05:48 am
I have to agree with Brad.

I have to agree with Brad. That boy must have been pretty hard up.

MandJ
MandJ 10/21/09 - 05:55 am
Raging hormones or not, I

Raging hormones or not, I wouldn't have even THOUGHT about messing with her at 14. Blech.

D-man
D-man 10/21/09 - 07:09 am
"hard up" ...haha, nice pun

"hard up" ...haha, nice pun

shivas
shivas 10/21/09 - 07:10 am
They should arrest the teen

They should arrest the teen for bad taste.

1313 10/21/09 - 07:38 am
Definitely a two bagger- one

Definitely a two bagger- one for her & one for me.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 10/21/09 - 08:19 am
Apparently, none of you

Apparently, none of you actually paid attention as you read and are responding as if you were teenage males. "... arrested Tuesday on ACCUSATIONS...", "...Investigators THINK...", and "... The ALLEGED victim..." This wouldn't be the first time a kid got back at teacher for bad grades or some other perceived slight. There's already one case making recent headlines where this was proven to have happened, ruining the teacher's life in the process. Give the investigators time to prove that she is guilty before you pass judgment on her and mock her in public. She may very well be innocent.

gofigure
gofigure 10/21/09 - 08:30 am
If this happened in 2005 and

If this happened in 2005 and 2006 why now the accusations? What has this kid been doing since then? Sounds fishy to me?

RestoreDowntown
RestoreDowntown 10/21/09 - 08:32 am
I think you mean smells fishy

I think you mean smells fishy to you. :o)

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/21/09 - 08:51 am
I find it rude the comments

I find it rude the comments some are making towards Ms. Key. The statement "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" is true and although she may not appear to be what society considers beautiful on the outside, she may well be a wonderful and beautiful person on the inside. I agree with Casting Fool, until this teacher is proven guilty, she should be treated with respect.

6Actual
6Actual 10/21/09 - 08:52 am
go to aiken standard.com for

go to aiken standard.com for a much better article. The AC got most of this wrong. She currently teaches at LBC middle and this has been an ongoing thing since 2005-2006.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/21/09 - 08:54 am
This is a most peculiar case.

This is a most peculiar case. One wouldn't think the sheriff's dept. would have a p.c. spasm, but a 4 year old student / teacher sex case is a strange thing to pursue, especially this one. Something major is missing from this story.

TrueVoice
TrueVoice 10/21/09 - 09:10 am
There was a similar case in

There was a similar case in Alabama. A teen slept with his teacher. The twist - he was home schooled!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 10/21/09 - 09:35 am
From the looks of things(pun

From the looks of things(pun intended),maybe the kid was just getting "some" experience.

Haloweenieboy
Haloweenieboy 10/21/09 - 09:36 am
LOL!!! TrueVoice - You just

LOL!!! TrueVoice - You just got my "Post of The Day" nomination. Thanks!

AWyld1
AWyld1 10/21/09 - 09:38 am
I thought you had more class

I thought you had more class than that Brad.....obviously not. What a moron. The rest of you too. Why is it not humorous when it's a male teacher and a female student? You people are sick minded. She allegedly committed a sexual crime on a child and you are making jokes about it?

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 09:39 am
TrueVoice: That Alabama

TrueVoice: That Alabama teacher was acquitted of all charges. Seems the DNA test proved 75% of the state guilty.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 09:45 am
ICL: "Beauty is in the eye of

ICL: "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder." Billy Carter

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 10/21/09 - 09:49 am
Obviously this kid was

Obviously this kid was getting "in" to her "inner" beauty!

55 F-100
55 F-100 10/21/09 - 09:50 am
Take a look at the

Take a look at the picture....do the math......'nuff said. This situation addressed a long division problem...Divide 38 by 14. How many times will 14 go into 38?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/21/09 - 09:55 am
I guess Casting Fool and

I guess Casting Fool and InChristLove covered what I was going to write well enough. I agree with you and I hope she's innocent. I can also see AWYld1's point. I hate to see a quite possibly innocent and excellent teacher's name getting dragged through the mud. Let the law run its course without jumping to conclusions before the facts are in.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/21/09 - 09:55 am
awyld1, ... allegedly.

awyld1, ... allegedly.

michelle84
michelle84 10/21/09 - 10:11 am
Two words: self control!

Two words: self control! Practice it! Geez!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 10/21/09 - 10:21 am
55 F-100: I suppose you are

55 F-100: I suppose you are talking about "long" division?

change display name
change display name 10/21/09 - 10:56 am
Y'all are nasty. Funny, but

Y'all are nasty. Funny, but nasty. I could not imagine looking at a 14-year-old child and thinking, "Hey, I'd like to hit that." Eeewww.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 11:20 am
Thank you, Connie Chunk.

Thank you, Connie Chunk. (it's plumBhappy unless you're a fruit)

Haloweenieboy
Haloweenieboy 10/21/09 - 11:27 am
For anyone else who is

For anyone else who is astounded by Connie's amazing reasearch and old news tipping skills, you can find the text of the father's statement at: http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/65105622.html . What would we do without her? "RCR, you have mail!"

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/21/09 - 12:17 pm
All you fanatics with no

All you fanatics with no sense of humor need to relax. awyld1, I hope you were not calling me a moron for posting what everyone thinks. You would not happen to be a bit 'big boned' yourself would ya?

AWyld1
AWyld1 10/21/09 - 12:40 pm
No, I am not "big boned" and

No, I am not "big boned" and yes I called you what you are...a moron. What if it was your child that was sexually abused? I have a great sense of humor but there is no humor in the exploitation of a child..that's why you are a moron.

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.