Health care isn't a fundamental right

A letter to the editor from Larry Jarrett of Warrenville, S.C. ("Health care is a fundamental right," Sept. 4), stated, "The public option will require higher taxes for all and will provide health care as a fundamental right for all Americans."

If health care or health-care insurance is a right, is it also a right to have healthy food to eat? Do we need a government program that assures all people have healthy food to eat? Then do we also need a government program that requires all people eat only healthy food?

Is it a right to eat unhealthy food? Is it a right to choose to consume products I know are not healthy -- for example, alcohol and tobacco products? Or eat until I'm so far past overweight that I'm obese? Not that any Americans would ever do such a thing.

And even if I choose to consume unhealthy products, or get obese -- which I know can potentially cause my health to deteriorate to the point of requiring medical attention -- is it still my right to have health care or health-care insurance that is paid for by all citizens? Do I have the right to do whatever dangerous, careless or foolish activities I want, knowing such activities could potentially harm me, and do so without a care, because I know all the other citizens are as a group paying for my health care insurance and my coverage can't be canceled?

And if I do try to take care of my health, am I required to pay taxes to subsidize the poor health habit choices of others?

So I'm asking: Why does anyone believe health care or health-care insurance is a right that government must provide, and therefore we must pay taxes to provide that right?

Steve Smith

Grovetown

carcraft
carcraft 10/21/09 - 02:17 am
Of course Steve, all those

Of course Steve, all those rights are there, we now have no responsibilty! You are now baby Steve (insert Social Security #) and a ward of the state HMMM, HMMM, HMMM!!!

ericasoriano
ericasoriano 10/21/09 - 02:34 am
You can get instant quality

You can get instant quality full coverage medical insurance for entire family at the best price from http://bit.ly/39pFJx

soldout
soldout 10/21/09 - 04:27 am
Great letter Steve. Getting

Great letter Steve. Getting health care is no different than buying a TV, a box of ceral or having your car repaired. The main right I don't have is asking the government to steal more of your money and give it to me. It is an old saying but meaning more every day; "a government big enough to give you all you need is big enough to take all you have" . When we have a health problem I think the best first action is to consult the designer of the body.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/21/09 - 04:37 am
Healthcare may be a

Healthcare may be a right.........FREE healthcare is NOT a right.......I challenge anyone to find that in the constitution.

Roeschen
Roeschen 10/21/09 - 04:47 am
Everyybody should have the

Everyybody should have the right to seek and get healthcare. I will not argue that point. What they do not have is the right to free, government paid (meaning taxpayer paid) healthcare. Everybody has the duty to pay for their own healthcare. Our leaders in government want to turn this country into a third world socialist nanny state. It is time to get rid of the government leaders, and start anew with certain limits on them.

soldout
soldout 10/21/09 - 04:48 am
Haloweenieboy
Haloweenieboy 10/21/09 - 04:58 am
What happened to Dr "Cue

What happened to Dr "Cue Ball" Mercola's hair? If this is what his "healthy living advice" does, no thanks!

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/21/09 - 05:06 am
You also have the right to

You also have the right to NOT purchase healthcare, but the Baucus bill will take that right away. It requires you to purchase healthcare or face a fine...if you don't face the fine, you are put in jail. How's that for a public option............just jail the very people who you said this was all about, because they couldn't afford insurance. There's some change you can believe in.

carcraft
carcraft 10/21/09 - 05:51 am
Tigger_The_Tiger on Wed Oct

Tigger_The_Tiger on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:06 AM America is doomed. People who don't buy health care go to jail for exercising thier freedom. People who come into America illegally, violate drug laws, cheat on taxes (see Charles Rangle and Geithner) get a pass! Very strange world! The IRS is going to collect the fines and assure compliance, ain't that a joke!

justus4
justus4 10/21/09 - 06:08 am
A stupid article. Health care

A stupid article. Health care should be a right but that's not the issue. The issue is: What party is pushing this issue? The same party that pushed the establishment of the SSA Act, the GI Bill, The Civil Rights Bill, and the Voting Rights Act. The same kinda people who said the same kinda things then, are saying the same kinda things now. Ol' Steve talking about healty foods and foolish arguments heard on the non-minority airwaves which avoids a serious evaluation of our health care system. Why did G. Bush and his (R) Congress not address in 8 yrs? Too difficult? Yep, that's it. Now, republicans are saying, "the gov't will tell U what U can eat next" well, if U weight 400lbs someone needs to step in, but the passage of the reform will sink the republican party. Their best defense against reform is what ol' Steve and other radio talkers have resorted to, making things up to produce fear. Americans are smarter. They passed all those other progressive laws and Americans will pass health reform. The party of NO is going the way of the Whigs because they fail to recognize that health care is "a fundemental right." What side of history are U on?

way2goAUG
way2goAUG 10/21/09 - 07:03 am
People get a grip, maybe if

People get a grip, maybe if you lose your job or get a medical condition that your insurance company will not cover you will have a change of heart. Oh no, what am I thinking, this is good ole conservative land. People are more concerned about giving the poor too much. PEOPLE with an unemployment rate at or near 11% you probably know someone who could benefit from READY "Obama Care" as my right wing buddies eloquently put it. Heaven help us all if the government did away with social security and medicare. That shouldn't be a problem for my right wingers I'm sure you would just let your parents live off you.

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 10/21/09 - 07:05 am
Just for clarification, can

Just for clarification, can the racist justazz define which stations/channels are considered the AWM and which are not?

UncleBill
UncleBill 10/21/09 - 07:11 am
No, health care is not a

No, health care is not a right. At a basic level it is a matter of compassion for one's fellow man, at the next level it is a practical matter to see that health care is available so that people don't get inordinately ill and disabled. Example; it is a lot cheaper to do a mammogram and a PAP smear every year than it is to treat cancer once it occurs. It is cheaper to treat hypertension and diabetes early on with pills than to wait until kidney failure or heart failure occurs then treat the end stage of the diseases. It is cheaper to see a patient in a local clinic once a month for many months than to pay for one visit to the ER.

conphlikted
conphlikted 10/21/09 - 07:16 am
actually, it should be a

actually, it should be a right. and valiant effort at the "eating unhealthy food=undeserving of healthcare". Once again, Glenn Beckians proving their utter lack of brain power. If you actually looked into this healthcare scenario, there are provisions that would lower what a person pays based on how healthy they keep themselves. Hence, an incentive to stay healthy and now be a burden on the system.
SAVING THE WORLD!!! well, maybe not, but it's a good thing.

corgimom
corgimom 10/21/09 - 07:49 am
Soonerorlater, that would be

Soonerorlater, that would be anything except Ebony, Jet, BET, and the Augusta Focus.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/21/09 - 07:52 am
waytogo, you're right wing

waytogo, you're right wing buddies would point out to you that SS and medicare are not "rights". You pay for them. It's your money being returned to you......if you live long enough.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 08:00 am
Mr Smith: Bravo. Your logic

Mr Smith: Bravo. Your logic is irrefutible, so the left will resort to name calling and deflection tactics. As for those who wish for me to sacrifice Social Security and Medicare? You can have all mine, I don't need them.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/21/09 - 08:37 am
CEITPro LOL you will probably

CEITPro LOL you will probably sing another tune if you were gravely ill LOL and or needed SSI to survive. You are talking out of the side of your neck. Do anyone if your family get Medicare or SSI? LOL... omg nutcases

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/21/09 - 08:44 am
yes fruitpa, your posts are

yes fruitpa, your posts are consistently thoughtless. Thanks for not disappointing.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 08:46 am
I have planned and provided

I have planned and provided for my retirement needs, including catastrophic insurance policies. I am 45 and retired from my first career 7 yrs ago. No one in my close OR extended family receives anything from Medicare or SSI. My parents donated their Social Security income to charity because they needed it not and I intend to do the same.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/21/09 - 08:47 am
*Adjust mirror* slides and

*Adjust mirror* slides and points it toward whippingpost, there. LOL.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/21/09 - 08:51 am
Then good for you and your

Then good for you and your parents they did something worthy, and you retired at 45 wow, you must have been military. And are you sure no one in your family receives anything? what's your family last name let me look them up to verify. Oh and what makes you think I live in DC? LOL.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/21/09 - 08:52 am
And see also CEITPro =

And see also CEITPro = Sadism: deriving pleasure from pain inflicted upon others. LOL.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 09:02 am
There are many other

There are many other opportunities in America for a 20 yr career that aren't military.

jeffreyd
jeffreyd 10/21/09 - 09:12 am
why can't we use the 'fair

why can't we use the 'fair tax' idea to fund a basic level of health care we all have access to. Anyone who wants more can buy into a plan they like. We need a system that makes 'all' americans pay into the health care system. A federal sales tax can go a long way to help get the lowest income to participate, with no rebates that the fair tax option suggests. No more free ride, we could even 'tax' only certain items that we know the lowest income buy. We need ideas people, the status quo is not working for any of us.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 09:13 am
Datleline Nov 19, 2079

Datleline Nov 19, 2079 (AP)... The World Order Government today released Barack Hussien Obama's college records which were sealed upon his election to the office of President of The United States. (The United States is the former name of the Western Region of the World Order Government.) These records show Mr. 0bama fraudulently acquired a Harvard education by applying as a foreign national. Subsequent investigation has revealed a copy of his original birth certificate from Kenya was also included in the application. Under the former United States law, every action of Mr. 0bama's would be invalid, negating the authority used to establish the World Order Government, the authority used to institute the World Order Health Program which limits humans to age 65 and the authority used to force sterilization of millions of people formerly referred to as "Republicans". World Order Czar Demond Marquis 0bama, the direct descendent of Barack, said "This has been known since before November 2008 and was dismissed as a non-issue."

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/21/09 - 09:15 am
Czar 0bama continued, "I want

Czar 0bama continued, "I want to assure the citizens of the world that free healthcare, free personal aircraft, and enforcement of the required diet will continue without changes."

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/21/09 - 09:15 am
LOL @ scour the US Prison OMG

LOL @ scour the US Prison OMG LOL... so your mind-set is, somebody in my family *BRACES* is in jail Typical WHITE person logic LOL. And LOL @ gov-min check LOL again typical WHITE person logic everybody black is getting a handout. It's funny as I also retired after 22 years and am working another high paying job LOL... Is it just you CEITPro, or do most white people think they only can achieve LOL... I guess you will be saying Janitor in your next post. Oh CEITPro because it's white don't mean it's right. And how many screen names do you have? Your post seem all to familiar LOL.

carcraft
carcraft 10/21/09 - 09:16 am
UncleBill on Wed Oct 21, 2009

UncleBill on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 AM That is a fallacy. One of Obumbler's talking points. It actually costs more to screen for illness than to treat an illness.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 10/21/09 - 09:17 am
CEITPro you are living in

CEITPro you are living in FEAR LOL... the end of the world is going to take place TONIGHT... RUN, RUN to the Hills.