A rotten role model

There have been a plethora of great thinkers in the history of Western civilization. Plato. Voltaire. Adam Smith. John Locke. Benjamin Franklin. Thomas Jefferson. Emerson. Kant. Great Eastern thinkers have included Confucius, Buddha and Laozi. The list is endless.

The point is, there are more influential and inspiring writers, thinkers and leaders in human history than you can fit into one newspaper article. Books have been written about them. And, of course, there's the list of the "Harvard Classics" -- the essential volumes of Western literature and thought that Harvard President Charles W. Eliot conceived as a nearly complete liberal education on a "five-foot shelf."

Given all this, you have to wonder how it is that White House Communications Director Anita Dunn says "two of my favorite political philosophers" are Mother Teresa -- and Mao Zedong (formerly Tse-tung).

Dunn now claims her remarkable statement made to a high school audience was in jest. We've seen the video, and we don't buy that.

Regardless, for the White House communications director to be extolling the virtues of Mao, either humorously or not, shows a tremendous lack of judgment and calls into question the foundation of her thinking.

Again, there are plenty of non-murderers in history she could have cited for the kids.

We don't know if Dunn is truly sympathetic to Mao's political philosophies. In a vacuum, you'd be tempted to give her the benefit of the doubt. Yet, against the backdrop of other Obama associates' radicalism -- Van Jones, William Ayers, Mark Lloyd (the new FCC "chief diversity officer" who wants an end to private media ownership and calls Hugo Chavez's dictatorship in Venezuela "an incredible revolution, a democratic revolution") you have to wonder.

According to the book Mao: The Unknown Story -- which, not surprisingly, is banned in China -- Mao Zedong was responsible for as many as 70 million deaths in peacetime China, was bent on world domination and had an intimate relationship with that other paragon of political virtue, mass murderer Josef Stalin.

It's amazing one can utter Mao's name in the same sentence with Mother Teresa to begin with, and doubly amazing that you can do it without being struck by lightning.

In another remarkable statement, Dunn has said the Obama campaign, in an effort to control what the media reported last year, offered the press a number of in-house videos "because it was a way for us to get our message out without having to actually talk to reporters."

If Sarah Palin or John McCain had said that, the left-wing media would go ballistic. So far, few have even noticed Dunn's utterings, even those that are about them being manipulated by the Obama campaign.

But if the left-wing media finds it a bore that a Mao-loving Obama official would talk about controlling the media's reporting, at least Beijing would be proud.

Comments (189)

TososMelakias
TososMelakias 10/20/09 - 12:21 am

The real tragedy of the poor

The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations.
-- Adam Smith

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/20/09 - 03:54 am

I heard Anita Dunn's comments

I heard Anita Dunn's comments and she marveled at how Mao led the defeat of our allies, The Nationalists and Chiang Kai-shek. Her comments were fawning and nefarious. What's next? Cabinet officials wearing Che T-shirts? The neoMaos must be recognized in this administration and its followers. Nothing but worship for the leader is tolerated. Question the policies of the leader and you will be publicly humiliated. Fox News is the latest target for the administration. When they turned loose the Red Guards of MSNBC on them, you had to know more was coming. It has...now the White House, via guess who? Anita Dunn directly criticizes the network.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/20/09 - 03:55 am

Has anyone seen the Obama/Mao

Has anyone seen the Obama/Mao T-shirts that are the rage in China? It combines Obama and Mao in a likeness wearing a Red Army cap.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/20/09 - 05:27 am

This editorial must be racist

This editorial must be racist because it criticizes another of the endless parade of hard left appointments of our current president. Pointing out that another appointee is enamored with a communist leaders perspective isn't difficult with this administration. Just pick one and write the truth.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/20/09 - 05:29 am

Anita Dunn's comment was all

Anita Dunn's comment was all smoke and mirror. Mother Teresa was the smoke and Mao was the mirror.

justus4
justus4 10/20/09 - 05:42 am

The article doesn't mention a

The article doesn't mention a single person of color who inspired, were great thinkers, or changed the course of history. What complete arrogance! And foolishness! W.E. Burghardt Du Bois was a brilliant man, who excelled

in a racist country when his People were in bondage. They were not allowed, by law, to have books or reading material. This man excelled in that environment of atrocities, and people who are paid to write foolish opinion articles demonstrate their ignorance again & again. Oh, and about Mao, well, why does the U.S. owe China over one trillion dollars in backed treasury notes, if Mao was so terrible. Why do the U.S. have a trade deficit with China? The point: If the Mao regime committed atrocities worse than U.S. slavery, then why do ANY business or have ANY contact or take ANY money from Cummunists? P.S.: Reproducing G. Beck's sentences is not an honest effort...

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/20/09 - 05:49 am

justus4, maybe zoloft is the

justus4, maybe zoloft is the answer you're looking for.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/20/09 - 05:57 am

The U.S.owes china because

The U.S.owes china because hussein thinks it's a good idea.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/20/09 - 06:12 am

I am slightly younger than

I am slightly younger than annita dunn yet i remember theses people on the streets with pictures of mao and demanding a revolution to a socialist govt. dunn aires etc these are all the same they hate america and captilism as does obama. and they are going out of there way by destroying us from within now that they have power. and justus4 slavery was wrong we paid a terrible price to resolve it. but you cannot compare that to the 34 million that mao regime killed or the other communist icon stalin who is credited with 62 million deaths. that is true regime repression and theses abuses are not possible to reform in a communist country.

nofrills
nofrills 10/20/09 - 06:20 am

I will stand on my property

I will stand on my property line armed to the teeth before I give in to these socialist leaders and their socialist ways. I am an American Christian whose is fed up. I have worked my whole life and paid all my taxes quietly. Obama, Biden, Dunn can all go straight to -well you know what I mean- I have watched many Americans die for these rights. Mrs. Dunn Please shut up before you insult more americans!

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/20/09 - 06:40 am

nofrills;I am sorry to inform

nofrills;I am sorry to inform you that a rifle and shotgun will NOT deter a TANK.Hope you have a better plan.

concernednative
concernednative 10/20/09 - 06:48 am

nofrills, you paid them

nofrills, you paid them quietly until Obama became prez? What has changed for you?

concernednative
concernednative 10/20/09 - 06:50 am

wizzard, you are right we

wizzard, you are right we didn't owe China one red cent before Jan 20, 2009. Again folks don't let hate think for you when you post. Post from your brain.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/20/09 - 06:55 am

JOKE: In WWII, an allied

JOKE: In WWII, an allied force was low on weapons and ammo.The generals decide to wage psychological-warfare on the enemy.They send out a top general to distribute sticks to the soldiers and convince them that they don't need guns and ammo to defeat this enemy-use psychological-warfare.So,they issue the sticks with instructions:When an encounter with enemy,point stick,yell BANG BANG BANG.One of the soldiers armed with a stick encountered 25-30 of the enemy,pointed his stick,yelled BANG BANG BANG and to his surprise the enemy fell right and left.So, he kept on until there was only one remaining,a LARGE soldier just kept coming until he ran right over the soldier with the stick.The stick-armed soldier stumbled to his feet just in time to hear the LARGE soldier going over the next hill yelling TANK TANK TANK

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/20/09 - 06:55 am

What we have with Obama is a

What we have with Obama is a cultural revolution.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/20/09 - 07:04 am

I paid my taxes quietly

I paid my taxes quietly because I was under the impression that I was paying for a continued democracy,not a communist regime.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/20/09 - 07:06 am

You're right, Riverman. The

You're right, Riverman. The current question is, will our culture survive 4 years of this man's influence? Get out and vote in 2010, save the country.

KSL
KSL 10/20/09 - 07:11 am

concernednative, we griped

concernednative, we griped about owing the Chinese then as well. We just didn't complain to you because y'all were negative enough already about the Bush administration.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/20/09 - 07:21 am

If we protected this counrty

If we protected this counrty with the same zeal that we protect other countries,NOBODY could smuggle ANYTHING in or out of this country.

nofrills
nofrills 10/20/09 - 07:23 am

Mr. wizzardx1, The difference

Mr. wizzardx1, The difference between you and me is that I am a true American. I never said I would win nor did I say I would live. I am willing to die for the rights and liberties that I have enjoyed my whole life. I as an American will protect the freedoms of my family and friends with my life. Until such time I will continue to lobby against a socialist government and try to get All Americans to get out and vote so the madness can end peacefully.

concernednative
concernednative 10/20/09 - 07:28 am

Yeah, KSL I will go back and

Yeah, KSL I will go back and check all your posts bashing the Bush admin borrowing from China. Oh, by the way I am not holding my breath.

concernednative
concernednative 10/20/09 - 07:35 am

KSL, scanned some old posts

KSL, scanned some old posts from 07-08, some Hillary bashing back when she was the front runner. A little Romney defending. But, I gotta tell you I am shocked not a word about Bush and the money owed to China.

nofrills
nofrills 10/20/09 - 07:37 am

Go figure!

Go figure!

carcraft
20670
carcraft 10/20/09 - 07:48 am

justus4 on Tue Oct 20, 2009

justus4 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:42 AM I think you are correct. There were and are great black thinkers our nation owes a debt to who demonstrated courage and moral greatness with towering intellects. That being said, to take a despot and mass murderer as a role model indicates some wierd psychic out look! You never would have known much about Van Jones, Anita Dunn or many others with out the excellent news reporting by Fox. This is why Fox New is Number one.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 10/20/09 - 07:53 am

cn can't defend prezbho and

cn can't defend prezbho and his crooked admin so he attacks the messengers that tell the truth about 'the ego-driven and incompetent one'. Typical libs. We have the highest unemployment in 25yrs that continues, wants to add to our debt and unemployment with a horrible $2 TRILLION (as Reid says) healthcare plan, and the highest debt of ALL previous admins together, ALL the blind and gullible fawning followers can complain about is Bush. Hypocrisy at its best. If you're not concerned - You're not paying attention...

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/20/09 - 07:54 am

cn, Bush wasn't running for

cn, Bush wasn't running for reelection last time. In fact, he'll probably never run again. Now, that IS Bush's fault.

teharper428
teharper428 10/20/09 - 07:55 am

Editorial by Karl Rove, in

Editorial by Karl Rove, in this sentence he is referring to Pres. Bush: "We recommended volumes to each other (for example, he encouraged me to read a Mao biography; I suggested a book on Reconstruction's unhappy end)" http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123025595706634689.html
So is bush going to be accused of extolling the virtues of Mao?

pah4r
pah4r 10/20/09 - 08:01 am

"We controlled the media; fed

"We controlled the media; fed them what we wanted published". Where and how many times in the history of the world has the same been done with disastrous results; great human suffering?? Never mind sheeple; we know that you will find any and all illogical means to twist history to continue to sing the praises of this mad man and his cronies as he drags our country into ruination.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/20/09 - 08:03 am

teharper, are you going to

teharper, are you going to post anything that's not taken out of context?

carcraft
20670
carcraft 10/20/09 - 08:11 am

teharper428 on Tue Oct 20,

teharper428 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:55 AM reading a book about some one and extolling the virtues of thier philosphies are two differant things. I have read books about Nazi Germany, Stalin, Hill side strangler but in no way would I recommend any of thier philosophies or ways of getting things done!