School board member wants ban on saggy pants

Sagging pants by some Richmond County students at sporting events have prompted the Board of Education's vice president to propose a belt-tightening measure.

Alex Howard says officials have received complaints lately that some students are attending football games with their pants sagging so low their underwear shows.

Mr. Howard says he will take up the issue at a committee meeting today, asking board attorney Pete Fletcher to research the legalities of a policy requiring students to pull their pants up while attending a sporting event or other school function.

"I'm tired of seeing it," Mr. Howard said. He said he noticed several cases of sagging pants at an Academy of Richmond County football game.

"I want to see if there's anything we can do about it because it's embarrassing," he said.

Mr. Howard said he doesn't feel such a policy should require shirts be tucked in, as is the case in some schools, but he said students should at least have their pants pulled up enough to cover their underwear.

"You dress the part, you play the part," he said of the saggy pants trend.

He said a policy could force those who don't pull their pants up to leave the event and not get their money back.

Mr. Howard said saggy pants that expose underwear already are not allowed in Richmond County schools during classes. He said it's up to principals as to whether students must tuck their shirts in during class hours.

Mr. Howard said that if the attorney deems the idea legal, he plans to propose the policy.

"I'm just sad we have to do this," he said.

Speaking through his paralegal, Mr. Fletcher said Monday that he preferred to hear Mr. Howard's proposal at today's committee meeting before commenting.

Today's committee meeting will take place at 4 p.m. at the board office at 864 Broad St.

na_bboy
na_bboy 10/13/09 - 11:49 am
Come on mytake everyone that

Come on mytake everyone that wheres baggy pants doesn't have them hanging off their butt. Using words like dumb to describe people who wear baggy pants, is ineffective, vocabulary people!!

ripjones
ripjones 10/13/09 - 12:18 pm
M.C. Hammer wore baggy pants,

M.C. Hammer wore baggy pants, but you never saw his underwear.

helpicantfindthespacebar
helpicantfindthespacebar 10/13/09 - 12:54 pm
The ban on saggy pants at

The ban on saggy pants at these events should be for EVERYONE, not just the students attending. Kind of like posting a sign that says 'no shoes, no shirt, no service'. They need to post a sign that says 'if we can see your drawers, you won't be seeing the game'.

latosha_5
latosha_5 10/13/09 - 01:51 pm
HHMMMM sounds like low rise

HHMMMM sounds like low rise jeans need to be banned as well, cant stand when a girl sits down or bends over and her butt and/or underwear shows!!! also low cut shirts, dont want to see cleavage either. i agree that sagging is an awful trend, but there are other out there too that could be focused on as well. but seriously, how long has this "debate" on sagging pants been going on? too long if you ask me, just do something about it already! that's what being a leader is about, making a decision for the betterment of the group.

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 10/13/09 - 04:12 pm
I hate the saggy pants big

I hate the saggy pants big time. But latosha makes a valid point.
Even tho' the folks wearing the saggy pants look like idiots, they are not nearly as suggestive as what I see some of the girls wearing..

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 10/13/09 - 04:20 pm
Also, is it just me, or do

Also, is it just me, or do some folks look like they are wearing their shoes too tight..you know, the expensive basketball shoes and the such. It appears their foot is scrunched in the shoe, or the toe comes right up to the tip of the shoe. Maybe it's the style of shoe or something..

corgimom
corgimom 10/13/09 - 05:45 pm
My parents didn't care if I

My parents didn't care if I bought my clothes with my own money or not. They had certain standards, and I had to be dressed modestly and appropriately. No discussion. No argument. And my mother checked what I wore every single day that I lived in that house. If she didn't like it, I had to change my clothes. End of story. Why don't parents have backbone any more?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/13/09 - 06:27 pm
I think I would like your

I think I would like your mom. :-)

anotherlook
anotherlook 10/13/09 - 10:12 pm
Corgimom, I think that many

Corgimom, I think that many parents may feel that they need to be less authoritarian in their approach to parenting in order to foster a closer relationship with their children. They have been sold a bill of goods by self-appointed neo-parenting gurus. Traditional parenting techniques produced the "Greatest Generation," men and women who put their lives at risk during the civil rights era protests, and young people who joined the Peace Corps to serve their fellow man in places far across the globe. There were moral absolutes and little moral relativity. The current approach to parenting has produced the "Jerry Springer" generation, escalating school violence, and an increase in the number of abortions that could rival the number of genocides in some foreign countries. Doesn't seem like we made a good trade does it? Parenting is a very difficult job as any one knows. But it is a parent's job; not the job of the state or the community. I tend to agree with the person who said: "It doesn't take a village to raise a child...it takes a parent. The only thing the village raises is an idiot." I pray that we haven't gotten too far down the road that we can't turn it all around.

disssman
disssman 10/14/09 - 12:03 am
well corgimom apparently you

well corgimom apparently you and my wife were like two peas in a pod. When my sons were teens they knew what was expected. My wife cleaned their rooms daily and that meant going through everything. One time one of them complained and the wife simply told him "this is my house, When you are old enough to get your own house you can make the rules period" one other rule we had was no locked bedroom doors at any time, which met with a little resistance until I removed the doors for a couple of days and then they understood. Now it may seem my wife and I was harsh but folks that is how they are raising their own kids today and we are a very close knit and loving family believe it or not. Some times kids need a little push to get started and that push may last them their entire life.

disssman
disssman 10/14/09 - 12:08 am
I almost forgot to say, I

I almost forgot to say, I believe that I could take a kid with saggy pants and convert him in a couple of weeks to a different person. I believe that regardless of their color or religion, all kids are basically good until they break the law. I also go out of my way to listen when a kid has something to say that they feel is important. When they are not acting like they are growing up, I also tell them what I think in a reasonable way.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...