There must be a better care alternative

I'm proud to be an American -- and I want to stay that way!

After hearing some aspects of the new health-care bill, I am angry, disappointed, shocked, hurt, worried and afraid. To think that our own people who work for us -- the same people that we have elected to represent us -- may turn around, fine us, deem us as criminals and put us in jail for not having health insurance.

What is the reason for this situation? Could it be fraudulent claims? Could it be non-U.S. citizens getting free care? There has got to be a more logical fix! If someone had told me this was possible in my lifetime, I would not have believed them.

It is not by choice that I don't carry health insurance. I believe I am one of the many people who choose to pay their bills on time, live within their means and can't mathematically afford to have this high cost in their budgets. Do lawmakers actually believe that people would not rather have peace of mind knowing they are covered if they become ill? When I lay down at night and can't sleep, I would definitely rather not have to worry about this issue, but I do.

In my case, while managing a car dealership, health insurance was part of my salary. When I was no longer employed, I kept my insurance and paid for it out of my pocket. After the monthly premium went from $220 to $330 and my savings were depleted, being unemployed, I had no choice but to drop it. In my case, thank God, I never filed a claim.

Please, people, if you feel this way, tell someone! I am a nobody, but I have a voice!

Tammy Moore, Lincolnton

soldout
soldout 10/11/09 - 03:50 am
A cheap alternative is to

A cheap alternative is to learn about alternative care. Learn about NAET, EFT, oil pulling, alkaline lifestye, the power of sunshine and vit D, reflexology and the list could go on and on. Don't depend on others to figure it out. For example: Since 1980 the skin cancer rate for women has gone up 50% at the same time sun screens have become very popular. It isn't rocket science to see maybe a connection but the word you get if you ask why the increase, is to use more sun screens and blockers. Remember if it goes on your skin; it goes in your body. Most things can be fixed by taking something away instead of using a new product or drug. God never intended for being healthy to be complex or expensive and He loves you and wants you well. He said it and I beleive it. Do a real simple test; write down how you feel now and for the next 30 days eliminate 90% of your sugar intake, get out in the sun without sunscreen and don't eat out anywhere. See how you feel in 30 days.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/11/09 - 06:54 am
"Capital is reckless of the

"Capital is reckless of the health and length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society." Karl Marx .... "Democracy is the road to socialism." Karl Marx .... "Medicine heals doubts as well as disease". Karl Marx. Our current president, a devout Marxist, knows he'll have total control of this country if he's able to pass Obamacare with the government option. America will suffer a blow it may never recover from.

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/11/09 - 06:54 am
Tammy our federal

Tammy our federal government's sorry history of program management like Social Security, Medicare, and the FDIC, all of which are going broke, is proof that government run anything is not the answer. Of course, the "public option" being voted down in a senate controlled by Obama's own party shows that this lobotomized notion is crap.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 10/11/09 - 10:32 am
"I know there can be other

"I know there can be other options besides fines and imprisonment for those who cannot afford health insurance." huh?

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 10:48 am
Deer, yeah, I saw that too.

Deer, yeah, I saw that too. Wonder how many people are in jail because they don't have health insurance. *snort*

TechLover
TechLover 10/11/09 - 10:51 am
Pleny of people have been to

Pleny of people have been to bankruptcy court because they didn't have health insurance.

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 10/11/09 - 10:58 am
The health insurance pattern

The health insurance pattern is following the same pattern as the car insurance pattern. Make it mandatory whether it can be afforded or not. Load up the courts with people charged with not having it. Collect a lot of money for the state coffers from those that can least afford it. Agree that the the insurance companies will pay more tax due to more customers. More money for the state coffers. Load up the system with lobbyist. Every year tighten up and add laws for any reckless behavior and increase the costs of every penalty. All done in the name of safety but increasing the insurance company bottom line by collecting more money in premiums and paying out less in claims Capitalism? It's coersion and big money manipulatng government.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/11/09 - 11:19 am
I will love the day when,

I will love the day when, after passing the so called health care reform, the Gov't starts penalizing people for their poor health choices. How ya like ya reform now, fatties?

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 10/11/09 - 11:22 am
CEITPro, it will happen. The

CEITPro, it will happen. The premiums will get jacked up until the fatties can't pay and will be dropped from coverage.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/11/09 - 11:22 am
How to provide healthcare to

How to provide healthcare to all without taxing only the richest: Soda Tax $2 a bottle/can. Snack tax: 100% of purchase price. Fast Food Tax: 100% of purchase price. and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo.

grouse
grouse 10/11/09 - 11:29 am
The letter writer illustrates

The letter writer illustrates why we need a public option and universal health care. If she gets sick, she will head to the ER. If she has a serious illness, she will be very deeply in debt. If she's unable to pay, the rest of us will pay. It's also a shame that people don't know how to use "lay" and "lie."

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 10/11/09 - 11:32 am
I like the so on and so...

I like the so on and so... Maybe Quaker Oatmeal and other low fat, low sugar companies can mandate that people buy their products...or give low-carb credits to trade.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/11/09 - 11:36 am
NPF: Crap and Trade?

NPF: Crap and Trade?

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 10/11/09 - 11:41 am
LOL, CEITPro. That sounds

LOL, CEITPro. That sounds about right.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/11/09 - 12:18 pm
15 small business owners have

15 small business owners have said if the dims pass this health care bill all of thier employees will become unemployed. The will take on subcontractors to replace the employees. In doing so they won't have to provide insurance. They will give them their full pay and let them worry about taxes, insurance and so forth. There's more than one way to outsmart an Obama!!

justus4
justus4 10/11/09 - 01:46 pm
This writer is completely

This writer is completely over-the-top with the "I worked hard and want to keep mine" song & dance. Health care reform will pass. This writer will survive. America will remain a super power. The President will get credit for CHANGE. Now to listen to this writer, the insurance cost is clearly too high. She lost her coverage because of job loss, then paid out-of-pocket, but seems to not realize that the insurance industry is a ponzi scheme. What happened to the dollars she had paid? If she had filed a claim, would she have a different story? Yes! She would have found out that she THOUGHT she had insurance and the fines & jail threat is not even a remote possibility. It won't happen. This writer was a victim and don't even know it-which is exactly how the insurance CEOs want to keep it. CHANGE!

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 04:21 pm
I guess when Daddy went off,

I guess when Daddy went off, his insurance went off too.

carcraft
carcraft 10/11/09 - 04:44 pm
There are provisions on one

There are provisions on one health care bill to force people under penality of jail time and fines to buy health insurance. If you can not afford health insurance the gubement will provide you with a policy. If you don't apply for the gubment option you can be fined and sent to jail! What insurance entity has the largest rejection of medical proceedures? Medicare? And these are the folks that the left wants to trust with thier health care!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/11/09 - 05:01 pm
I keep asking where the

I keep asking where the government, in the constitution, gets the power to force you to buy health insurance? Don't bring up the government forcing you to buy car insurance, driving a car is a priviledge regulated by the state. Being a citizen of the U.S. gives you rights and what the federal government can mandate is spelled out in the constitution and being forced purchase of health insurance is not in there!

jack
jack 10/11/09 - 05:11 pm
soldout, your snake oil is

soldout, your snake oil is about as good as BimbObama's.

jack
jack 10/11/09 - 05:15 pm
Deer, yeah, I saw that too.

Posted by corgimom on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:48 AM....Ask that question AFTER the Baucus bill is passed "snort". BTW, if illegals ain't covered as BimbObama claims, I guess law enforcement will be free to lock all of them up for not having health insurance, right? (yeah, right).

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 05:18 pm
TechLover, you probably don't

TechLover, you probably don't know this, but more people that wind up in BK court HAVE health insurance. The copays, deductibles, and not-covered expenses is what gets them. The people that end up in BK court are the healthy workers that have jobs, who also have assets. The poor ones, that don't have assets and don't have health insurance, don't go to BK court- they have nothing to lose. They are also the ones that qualify for health care assistance.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 05:19 pm
Illegal aliens get free

Illegal aliens get free health care already, why would they be stupid enough to buy it?

KSL
KSL 10/11/09 - 07:12 pm
If you are rewarded for not

If you are rewarded for not taking care of your needs, are you going to take on the extra expense of taking care of your needs?

KSL
KSL 10/11/09 - 07:20 pm
Corgi, why are we stupid

Corgi, why are we stupid enough to keep agreeing to pay for it? That is what I want to know.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 07:26 pm
Because of liberals who still

Because of liberals who still think the streets of America are paved with gold. They aren't poor, they have these noble ideals and we are the ones stuck paying for it.

Harmonielehre
Harmonielehre 10/11/09 - 07:29 pm
I tend to think that what

I tend to think that what will happen when this passes is we will end up with the same kind of system that we currently have with the US postal service. I don't know about everyone else, but I rarely, if ever use the post office anymore, simply because it is inconvenient for the price and you never know if what you send off will arrive at its location. If I need to send things, I almost always use UPS or FedEx. This is what I see happening in the future with healthcare. The poor people will live on US health care, while anyone who can afford not to use sub-par service will keep their own plans which, while being more expensive, are definitely of higher quality.

Pu239
Pu239 10/11/09 - 10:06 pm
I like chesse...government

I like chesse...government cheese....and PNB too!

carcraft
carcraft 10/12/09 - 05:31 am
Harmonielehre on Sun Oct 11,

Harmonielehre on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:29 PM The cost of private plans, depending on what the governmnet passes, maybe 2 to 3 times the cost for the government plan for employers eventually doing away with all private plans!!