Strive harder to help the unborn

Recent letters to the editor have been written by Jewell Pullen ("Show some compassion for the born," Sept. 30) and Niki Waller ("Banning abortion won't change much," Oct. 2), charging that pro-life advocates had no concern for the "born" and what will become of them if they live.

I readily admit to being one of the many "pro-life extremists" who stand in front of abortion clinics holding crosses or signs. We do this in the hope that mothers and fathers coming to abort will change their minds before making the mistake of a lifetime -- both for the baby and themselves.

One thing everyone should know is that the Holy Spirit that causes people to help others of any age is the same Holy Spirit that causes individuals to stand up for the unborn. Each of these "unborns" is every bit as much a person -- with a soul -- as any one of us. They each deserve protection and the right to life.

Even though I'm aware of, and confess to, not doing as much as I could or should for all life, there's great hope.

Standing in my back yard, I can see homes of neighbors where adoption has been the choice: three siblings in one, four in another, six siblings in another, one in another, two separately and five separately.

Also on the next street lives a career adoption counselor, and between his home and ours is a family who have been foster parents to more than 50 babies and even adopted a special-needs child.

Not all of the 70-plus children were in top shape when they arrived, but each was loved and got better.

I still repent for the years wasted when I didn't know or care to know the truth; but surrounded by so many caring and giving pro-life families makes me want to try harder.

Gary Garner, Augusta

soldout
soldout 10/11/09 - 03:22 am
Without abortion there would

Without abortion there would be a bigger tax base in this country and SS and medicare would be in better shape. Without abortion the breast cancer rate would be lower. Without abortion the sowing and reaping in this country would be better which is the most important. When we pick a view to have on a subject it just seems better to pick a view that agrees with God's.

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 10/11/09 - 10:17 am
We should all do more to stem

We should all do more to stem the tide of population explosion. There are currently about 6.8 billion on the people with a projection of 9 billion in 2050. If you think that we have problems now with increased energy consumption and pollution from China and India, you haven't seen anything yet. Increased popuation with be accompanied by serious food, waste and resource problems. This country is not isolated from the rest of the world. We will be impacted.

HotFoot
HotFoot 10/11/09 - 10:24 am
soldout, cite reputable

soldout, cite reputable medical sources for your second claim--that the breast cancer rate would be lower (the implication being that having an abortion increases a woman's risk of breast cancer). Your first claim is ludicrous, btw, because 1) many of the women who choose abortion would actually wind up draining the public coffers were they to have the child (in terms of healthcare and continued subsidies) and 2) most women who have abortions go on to have a child later, and that subsequent child might not have been born had they continued the first pregnancy. As to your view that God agrees with you, pretty presumptuous, don't you think? Pretty arrogant.

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 10/11/09 - 10:40 am
I commend the Alleluia

I commend the Alleluia commumity for adopting so many unwanted children and trying to make a better life for them. There is an estimate 500,000 children in foster care in the U.S. with 120,000 of them available for adoption.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/11/09 - 12:22 pm
Two relevant quotes: "It is a

Two relevant quotes: "It is a great poverty that a child must die that you may live as you wish." --Mother Teresa. And from John Paul II, "A nation that kills its own chldren is a nation without hope." There's nothing that any of us care about and worry about for the future that these two people didn't care about more and devote more love and prayer toward bringing about relief and resolution. Consequently, their conclusions deserve serious consideration, if for no higher reason than simply intellectual honesty.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/11/09 - 12:39 pm
To Grouse: Probably no one

To Grouse: Probably no one would argue that you have a soul, so the fact that you believe the Holy Spirit to be simply an invention kind of fits with your (current) cosmology. Live long and prosper, comrade.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 03:06 pm
Did you notice that Gary

Did you notice that Gary Garner doesn't say one word about the foster children he personally supports, which is none? Do you notice he doesn't have time to adopt, he's too busy picketing? Who cares what his neighbors have done, why doesn't HE adopt children? Oh, right, he doesn't have any money, it all goes to the Alleluia cult.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/11/09 - 06:02 pm
Corgimom, You would count

Corgimom, You would count yourself unbelievably fortunate to be able to cut Gary Garner's grass if you had any idea what kind of man he actually is, and what kind of personal sacrifices he and his family have made for the sake of other people. You're just so quick with the easy, cheap shots, without having any personal investment or even any personal knowlege, which basically makes you seem like a whiner rationalizing your own stinginess and lack of concern for the defenceless and vulnerable. You really ought to be ashamed, but you probably are so blinded by your own uninformed opinion that you would never even see why.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/11/09 - 06:13 pm
As to your question, Grouse,

As to your question, Grouse, it is a silly one, an exercise in pedantry. Why don't you show me the location of a feeling, or of a thought? You, in your usual reductionism, would claim those are simply nerve impulses along neural pathways, but electrons are not thoughts. Or locate "hope" for me, or "time", or "intent". You're a sophist, and I consider it a waste of time discoursing with you because we do not share enough common ground. And, with apologies for my harshness here, you seem so stunted in your understanding of life's important issues that I'm just not interested in what you think about anything.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/09 - 06:20 pm
Actually, I'm pretty sure I

Actually, I'm pretty sure I do know him, and I do have personal knowledge. He's the one that I told, "If you don't get out of my way, I'll have you arrested." And the friend that was with him? "Touch me again and I'll have you arrested for battery." And what was I doing? Walking on the sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood. I wouldn't give that man the time of day, let alone cut his grass. I guess he thinks that only fetuses have Constitutional rights, and not ordinary people that are walking down a city sidewalk.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/11/09 - 06:46 pm
Corgi, I wouldn't be

Corgi, I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of the "escorts" helping women walk into the abortuary those last few moments before their babies were ripped apart and flushed down a drain. What kind of jerk threatens someone trying to save the life of an innocent? You give me a chill. And what were you doing touching anyone out there protesting? It really is battery, even more so than having someone simply standing in your way. As for giving him the time of day, he would never ask you because you clearly haven't a clue about what time it is. And don't presume you know Gary or anything about him just because you had an occasion to be rude and hateful to him.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/11/09 - 06:53 pm
Corgi: I still find it hard

Corgi: I still find it hard to accept that people (apparently including you) actually exist who would kill a developing human baby intentionally, and not be completely devastated by it. That is beyond just sick, all the way to demonically evil. What choice do we have, we who believe that, but to protest the killing? Ask yourself what you think about Germans, and all the other people who suspected or knew about it, allowing the extermination of Europe's Jews. There was a big cost for fighting that as well, but people were willing to do it anyway. Would you have bothered? I have my doubts, because even the lives of American children appear so disposable, by what you say. I wonder if it matters that, by far, the ratio of black babies who die this way leaves whites in the dust. It almost looks like genocide, but even black leaders don't care about that. Go figure. I guess, really, it is all about the money.

HotFoot
HotFoot 10/11/09 - 07:25 pm
Fiat--male, I take it?

Fiat--male, I take it? Non-Jewish, too. So, we who support keeping abortion a legal option for women are "demonically evil". But, how do you REALLY feel???? IN what way is it about money?

helpicantfindthespacebar
helpicantfindthespacebar 10/12/09 - 12:22 am
Fiat, your reference to

Fiat, your reference to genocide is ridiculous. Are you suggesting that black women are FORCED to have abortions? Tricked? Paid for doing such? What is 'all about the money'?? Do enlighten us, and please, please, be sure to keep your dictionary handy while doing so..... your incessant use of one does little to display the intelligence you apparently wish to convey. It just makes you look like a silly blowhard.

dani
dani 10/12/09 - 01:31 am

Thank you Fiat for saying what more of us would like to say. The abortionists can't say that a fetus is baby, then they might have to use other means of birth-control,such as abstinence.

corgimom
corgimom 10/12/09 - 03:53 am
I have never been an escort,

I have never been an escort, and I didn't touch a protester, she touched me. However, if I want to escort someone in there, I will do so. And, if I choose to believe in abortion, that's my right also. All I was doing is walking down the sidewalk. The protesters swarmed around me, blocking my way. Do I do that to people? No, I do not. I am fine with peaceful protest, but I also have the right to walk down the sidewalk. I most certainly do have the right to be rude to anyone that is blocking me from peacefully walking down the sidewalk. What they were doing was breaking the law, not me. I find it interesting that you twisted it around and thought that I was threatening them.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/12/09 - 10:09 am
Gary Garner - You describe

Gary Garner - You describe yourself as being a "pro-life extremist." May I comment and say that your opinion would carry more weight if you were a female.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/12/09 - 02:25 pm
I stand corrected in my

I stand corrected in my interpretation of your action, Corgi. It just seemed that you had touched one of them after you threatened Gary, based on what you wrote. Knowing most of those people personally, the ones who protest in front of Planned Abortion on Broad and 13th Street, I find it difficult to believe you interpreted their intent correctly either. I'm more inclined to believe that you decided the only piece of sidewalk that suited you was the one where they happened to be standing together, praying. If you think that is being "swarmed", well, you might try moving over a little. They won't follow you, I promise.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs