And the Nobel for Good Intentions goes to...

We understand and appreciate what the Nobel Peace Prize committee members are trying to do. They're trying to encourage peace.

We just disagree wholly with how they're trying to go about it.

In the process, they have rendered the prize meaningless.

Nothing at all against President Obama. Fact is, we support his outreach efforts to the Muslim world.

But the Nobel committee is holding an apple festival before the tree is old enough to have borne fruit. Does the plaque say, "In grateful acknowledgement of all Barack Hussein Obama hopes to accomplish"?

"The prize seems to be more for Obama's promise than for his performance," correctly notes the Associated Press's Jennifer Loven.

Mr. Obama was in office a scant 12 days before the nomination deadline for the Nobel Peace Prize. He has been in office some nine months. In contrast, some worthy recipients such as Mother Teresa expended a lifetime of good works.

There is no earthly idea yet whether his policies will bear fruit. As Muslim radicals still kill and still target America and the West, there is no tangible evidence he has made a scintilla of difference with all his entreaties and criticisms of his country. His worthiness for such a prestigious-sounding award exists, as some subatomic particles, in theory alone.

Is the committee, then, rewarding Mr. Obama's good intentions? If so, are there not millions and millions of other deserving souls on the planet who qualify for this honor under the same logic?

BUT THE PROBLEMS with this ill-thought-out award -- often bestowed on dubious characters such as terrorist Yasser Arafat -- go far beyond one man. This decision reveals an institutional and fatal flaw in the Nobel network: Quite often, it really doesn't reward acts that result in real, just and lasting peace.

Perhaps our well-intentioned friends in Oslo mistake peace for the absence of open hostilities. The two are quite different -- and sometimes are the opposite.

Consider: True peace cannot exist without justice. Moreover, appeasement -- an unwillingness to use force to defend oneself or create security and peace -- can result in the opposite of peace. Appeasement in the 20th century brought about history's largest conflagration. And you can talk peace with the Iranian regime until you're blue in the face, but if that fails to prevent it from obtaining nuclear weapons and one is allowed to go off in the Mideast or elsewhere, how does that promote peace? Haven't you done just the opposite?

The maddening paradox of peace is that sometimes you must fight to get it.

WILL BARACK OBAMA be willing to do that -- especially after receiving a "peace" prize? Will he be able to bring himself to send more troops to Afghanistan -- to win that war and secure a lasting peace? Will he now have the gumption to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities if need be to protect and preserve the Mideast's only democracy (other than Iraq, which war helped create)?

Or is the prize timed and designed to discourage any acts of violence by the U.S. president, even those needed to bring about peace?

If the president is in any way impeded from doing what he must to protect and defend the interests of the United States, he should politely decline the award.

Likewise, if the Nobel committee is rewarding a president that it sees as promoting a chastened, weakened America -- and thinks that that is good for peace -- it had better be careful what it wishes for. If the folks at Nobel truly want peace, they should want the strong America that saved Western Europe in World War II and helped free Eastern Europe in the Cold War and still today throws its blanket of protection over most of the world's free peoples.

Obviously, the people at Nobel would find it counterintuitive to recognize any act of war as being good or promoting peace. But World War II did in a few years what a continent would have otherwise spent decades doing: overthrowing tyranny and fighting for freedom.

We therefore believe the Nobel Peace Prize committee has a misguided notion of what peace truly is and what is necessary to bring it about.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/10/09 - 07:00 pm
I never get any of my

I never get any of my questions answered? Boo hoo hoo. Then why do you have so many questions?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/09 - 07:04 pm
Real mature. Where were all

Real mature. Where were all your little comments when you were called out? You run like a coward when faced with facts. I have never commented on your ignorance but since you opened the door, you got it. And for you to do that out of nowhere I am guessing you must also be gaspring. another coward move.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:10 pm
Funny how the ignorant reveal

Funny how the ignorant reveal themselves.

Cordie
Cordie 10/10/09 - 07:13 pm
tigger the tiger. if you

tigger the tiger. if you have not seen the difference in the mood of the PEOPLE (Other than the people that have not been successful and they envy the ones that have) I do not have the time nor wish to waste my time trying to explain to some one that works for a Company that has survived for years on GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS. Do the Savannah River employees not need, A SECURITY CLEARANC ?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:18 pm
Does anyone know what the

Does anyone know what the heck Cordie is talking about? I asked for some examples of the "great work" that she cited and all I get in return is gibberish? It almost looks as if it is an attempt to avoid answering a simple question (which she simply CAN'T answer) by making a personal attack.....but it became incomprehensible instead. And just what is a security "clearanc" anyway?

Cordie
Cordie 10/10/09 - 07:27 pm
KSL.. I am not worried

KSL.. I am not worried about surviving in case of cuts. My husband and I planned ahead. We could survive with out Social Security and Medicare. It makes it a lot more comfortable . We have no bills and everything we have is paid for. We might not be able to go on as many trips. We made sure our children got very good education and most of the family has doctor degrees. I admire President Obama for being such an educated person. He COULD BE DOING LIKE QUITE A FEW OF YOU. SAYING WHOA IS ME,I GOT TO BLAME SOME ONE FOR MY FAILURES.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:29 pm
Cordie...what has he done?

Cordie...what has he done? List the great work that you said he is doing.....or did you just say it to sound good?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:31 pm
Now for a personal attack in

Now for a personal attack in lieu of answering the question. It's so easy to expose people who refuse to think.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 10/10/09 - 07:31 pm
Cordie are you USSCOM wife?

Cordie are you USSCOM wife?

Cordie
Cordie 10/10/09 - 07:31 pm
tigger the tiger i rest my

tigger the tiger i rest my case? you just answered it. when you cross the street be sure and look both ways

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:35 pm
Again.....personal attacks in

Again.....personal attacks in lieu of answering questions......typical sheep mentality....why not just answer the question? If you would just answer it you might make ME look ignorant instead of yourself. You say I answered the question....So you DID just say it because it sounded good? That's it? That's truly sad.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 10/10/09 - 07:38 pm
Rose where is Rose? I think

Rose where is Rose? I think she has been jousted by the AC.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/10/09 - 07:41 pm
Nobody will answer our

Nobody will answer our questions about Obama and everything else. Who would want to anyway? But we must have answers so we can rebut and thus feel good about ourselves. Otherwise our lives will have no meaning. I say figure it out yourselves, we are too busy running the country and making it a heck of a lot better than it was in 2000-2008.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/09 - 07:42 pm
It's becuase you can't.

It's becuase you can't. Running the country? What office position do you hold? Secretary doesn't count.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/10/09 - 07:43 pm
We cannot get answers to the

We cannot get answers to the many questions about why we are left out in the desert while others are in power. We feel so helpless and we need our questions answered. Stay in the desert, wingnuts!

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:44 pm
These people are quite

These people are quite pathetic.....if I supported someone, and was asked to give a reason why....I would give one. That way they won't think you are a mindless sheep. I guess if you actually ARE a mindless sheep, you wouldn't though.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/10/09 - 07:45 pm
It us because we really do

It us because we really do not have to do that for your benefit. God helps those that help themselves.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/09 - 07:46 pm
We do not need our questions

We do not need our questions answered. We just like proving you guys are full of #$&*.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/10/09 - 07:47 pm
Sheep are the ones with the

Sheep are the ones with the questions. We've got the answers but we don't help Republicants.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:48 pm
Truly pathetic. Always

Truly pathetic. Always rationalizing.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 10/10/09 - 07:49 pm
Niko you are one strange

Niko you are one strange women! The ACES called you out by NAME and you folded, just like Obama. Nevermind, I understand you are just PRESENT.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 07:51 pm
I already have a good idea

I already have a good idea why my questions go unanswered...Cordie already stated that she just said that Obama was doing great work, because it sounded good. TakeAstand is 100% correct. I don't NEED your answer....it's just fun to expose you for want you are.....a blind follower who will support a man and you won't even admit or state why.

Cordie
Cordie 10/10/09 - 07:54 pm
NIKO MAHS WELL SAID.

NIKO MAHS WELL SAID. I guess they are still trying to get some one to TELL THEM WHAT HAPPENED IN NOVEMBER? Maybe they should start asking what happened to them all their lives. Thats right it was Walt Disneys Fault.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/10/09 - 08:04 pm
The President said himself

The President said himself that he does not deserve this award. I give him his first points for that.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/10/09 - 08:04 pm
BTW: Great editorial.

BTW: Great editorial.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 08:08 pm
I too applaud him for saying

I too applaud him for saying he doesn't deserve it. I would applaud him more if he declined to accept it so it could go to someone who DOES deserve it, but I doubt narcissism will allow that.

R2
R2 10/10/09 - 08:08 pm
Ttt has a screw loose. Who

Ttt has a screw loose. Who else would be soooo obsessed and then get furious because no one pays attention? Sounds like an obsessive/compulsive disorder to me.

R2
R2 10/10/09 - 08:10 pm
He was being humble. What a

He was being humble. What a guy!!

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 08:12 pm
Who says I'm furious? I'm

Who says I'm furious? I'm quite happy. I just find it funny and entertaining to expose morons.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 10/10/09 - 08:13 pm
It seems the last bastion of

It seems the last bastion of the weak minded sheep is to attack those who expose them.