Sanford's car pulled for speeding, not ticketed

State patrol dash cam footage of a highway safety officer pulling over a car Gov. Mark Sanford was riding in.

COLUMBIA --- A Highway Patrol trooper stopped South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's car for speeding but let his protective detail driver go without a ticket, an official said Wednesday.

State Department of Public Safety Director Mark Keel said he had reviewed a recording of the stop and that the State Law Enforcement Division agent will be cited. He did not say how fast Mr. Sanford's car was going Tuesday on Interstate 385, a heavily traveled route between Columbia and Greenville, but the recording shows the speed at 85 mph. The limit through that area is 65 mph, a public safety spokesman said.

Mr. Keel said Lance Cpl. R.S. Salter clocked a speeding sedan and pulled it over two miles from Interstate 26. Mr. Keel said the driver identified himself as a SLED agent. "Asked why he was speeding, the agent said he was transporting the governor," Mr. Keel said.

In 2006, Mr. Sanford's office was highly critical of the lieutenant governor when the Highway Patrol twice stopped him for speeding but didn't issue tickets.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division Chief Reggie Lloyd, whose agent was driving Mr. Sanford, said the ticket is appropriate.

"He did something that I thought was totally inappropriate, from the standpoint of the trooper as well as the governor," Chief Lloyd said. "I think we as an agency owe Trooper Salter, as well as the governor, an apology."

He said his agency would investigate to see whether the agent would be punished. He would not name the agent but said he is still on duty and is regularly assigned as part of the governor's detail.

Sanford spokesman Ben Fox referred questions about the stop to Mr. Keel's agency.

The governor's schedule included an economic development announcement in Gaffney in the morning and a speech in Easley at a Rotary Club lunch in the afternoon. Mr. Sanford left Easley just after wrapping up an interview with a reporter at 2 p.m. He had meetings scheduled in Columbia in the afternoon, but no public events, his office said.

1941
1941 10/08/09 - 04:58 am
Now, if that is not ''above''

Now, if that is not ''above'' the law, I don't know what is !!!!

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 10/08/09 - 05:10 am
Ever see a police car drive

Ever see a police car drive down the road? Ever see one going the speed limit? Did you ever see an unmarked car delivering a prisoner to the next county? The AP loves a Sanford story.

robaroo
robaroo 10/08/09 - 05:50 am
Gee, that's not news.

Gee, that's not news. Traffic cops don't give tickets to other cops. A badge is a "get out of jail free" card.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/08/09 - 06:28 am
Stop hating! If you want all

Stop hating! If you want all of the wonderful perks of being a cop, go and be one. Getting away from a couple speeding tickets is pretty small, just like their salary. Also, a respectful person is more likely to get away without a ticket, even your average Joe.

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 10/08/09 - 06:28 am
I agree with Andywarhol (for

I agree with Andywarhol (for the 2nd time in a week). This happens all the time with fellow officers, the family and friends of officers and popular people in the community. I also agree that this isn't news...just a dig at Sanford. Enough already, the man deserves a small break don't you think?

WAG
WAG 10/08/09 - 06:33 am
Maybe he was heading to the

Maybe he was heading to the airport to go to his "soul mate"

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 10/08/09 - 06:34 am
Okay, I confess. I'm guilty.

Okay, I confess. I'm guilty. I've a bit of a lead foot and have been stopped twice. Once in Georgia and once in S.C. Admittedly I deserved a ticket both times but was spared with a verbal warning from Ga. and written one from S.C. I am neither "connected", flirtatious, nor turning on the water works, merely contrite and a bit embarrassed. Doubly so as my adult son was in the passenger seat saying, "I told you so". I would like those officers to know they did get my attention and I use my cruise control when possible and I appreciate their discretion as to ticket or not ticket.

bettyboop
bettyboop 10/08/09 - 06:38 am
yawnnnnnn

yawnnnnnn

terry67
terry67 10/08/09 - 06:51 am
Only doing 85???? I'm

Only doing 85???? I'm suprised he didn't get run over! I was on 385 this past weekend and NO ONE was doing 65! And on a even more important note, WHY IS THIS NEWS?

leoswife
leoswife 10/08/09 - 06:59 am
A badge is not a "get out of

A badge is not a "get out of jail free" card. robaroo, why don't you ride with a deputy or officer for a day--especially in Augusta. These men and women are spit on, kicked, yelled at, called obscene names--and that's not just from men, but women and children too! You would be surprised at what they put up with so, if they get out of a ticket every now and then it's not a big deal. Brenda G--good for you! I too have been pulled over and not received a ticket and now use my cruise control on the highway.

justus4
justus4 10/08/09 - 07:05 am
Is there STILL anyone out

Is there STILL anyone out there that believe that equal justice is the norm in this country. This example again proves what "we" suspect happens all the live long day, thus when the horrible accident happens, the background check will appear as though there have never been any violations, which the media will comment on over & over & over. The officer should be fired, but he won't, the supervisor should be reprimanded, but he/she won't, and the governor should be impeached, but again it won't happen until January 2010. Example after example of the lawbreakers getting away with it, while the poor guy pays thousands & thousands of hard-earned dollars (that he don't have in the first place) to corrupted justice system that everybody knows is just that...Wow! Nothing new here, just individuals operating above the law.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/08/09 - 07:10 am
Do I hear violins????

Do I hear violins????

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 10/08/09 - 07:45 am
He thought he was headed to

He thought he was headed to Argentina for a quickie!

a christian man 7
a christian man 7 10/08/09 - 08:09 am
I wonder if the person who

I wonder if the person who wrote this has ever been given a warning ticket or just let go with a verbal warning.I think law enforcement in general do a pretty good job on our nations highways.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 10/08/09 - 08:10 am
Looks like the Gov's. vehicle

Looks like the Gov's. vehicle actually had it's blue lights on. Dumb move for the trooper. Stopping one of your own. But that's what I would expect from a hillbilly cop. He seems much more important now in his own mind. Just like when Barney Fife ticketed the Gov's. car for improper parking. This trooper will actually be the laughing stock of his fellow officers and hated. I guess he pulls over speeding ambulances when going to an emergency to ask why they are speeding too.

cparker
cparker 10/08/09 - 08:15 am
I wouldn't write the Governor

I wouldn't write the Governor a ticket. I would have done the same thing. I wonder why he ever told anyone he pulled the Governor's car for speeding knowing this would happen?

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/08/09 - 08:40 am
Gov. Corzine of NJ was almost

Gov. Corzine of NJ was almost killed in a wreck a few years back because his driver was speeding to an event, and he was not wearing a seat belt. This is a crime and the driver should have been ticketed or at least given a written warning.

disssman
disssman 10/08/09 - 09:46 am
We don't have that problem

We don't have that problem here is Richmond County because of the little blue relfectors on the spouses car tag.

DMac_357
DMac_357 10/08/09 - 09:56 am
This is a professional

This is a professional courtesy. Cops don't give tickets to cops or family members of cops. That's just the facts. I wonder if the trooper pulled his weapon when the driver started getting out of the car? Now that's a no-no!

sell71
sell71 10/08/09 - 10:32 am
Who gives a rat's behind

Who gives a rat's behind about this, really?

SnowBallCity
SnowBallCity 10/08/09 - 10:48 am
Wait ! Listen ! I think you

Wait ! Listen ! I think you did hear violins.

R2
R2 10/08/09 - 11:08 am
I give a rats behind about it

I give a rats behind about it because Sanford should get what's coming to him. He thinks he does not have to obey the law. If you speed, you should be ticketed.

corgimom
corgimom 10/08/09 - 11:33 am
Sanford wasn't driving. He

Sanford wasn't driving. He didn't break any laws.

R2
R2 10/08/09 - 11:37 am
Well the driver should have

Well the driver should have been ticketed.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/08/09 - 11:50 am
R2 remember that statement if

R2 remember that statement if you should ever be stopped. No grace, no mercy.

ChiggerHillMan
ChiggerHillMan 10/08/09 - 12:40 pm
R2, remember your post if you

R2, remember your post if you are ever stopped and for whatever the reason the officer decides not to give you a ticket. I know you will tell the officer, "I was speeding. I want a damn ticket and I want it now!!"

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/08/09 - 01:37 pm
What a do nothing story!

What a do nothing story! Even the Sanford haters are having trouble working up a convincing head of steam over it.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 10/08/09 - 02:14 pm
If the officer had written a

If the officer had written a ticket, professional courtesy would have come into play, and the ticket would have been taken care of.

oh man
oh man 10/08/09 - 02:26 pm
everyone has gotten away with

everyone has gotten away with a speeding before - no news.

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/08/09 - 02:32 pm
I see law enforcement

I see law enforcement speeding all the time so this isn't a big deal to me. I feel like if law enforcement is speeding they should have their lights flasing, if not then it must not be an emergency and they should be obeying the law the same way they expect the rest of us to do and on Fort Gordon, I have actually seen MP's put their flashing lights on just to get through a red light then turn them back off again. They make their own rules........

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen