Cafeteria 's condition was shocking

I just wanted to share something that happened recently.

My son goes to Evans High School. He was absent, and I went to the school to pick up his make-up work. What I saw when I got there really upset me. I arrived just after lunch and the custodians were putting up the tables and chairs. The cafeteria looked like a zoo! I mean, you could hardly see the floor because there was so much trash on it!

I asked a school employee who was assisting me if they had just had a party. She said no -- just lunch. My son told me that the administrators monitor the lunchroom. He also told me that kids constantly throw food and push their trays on the floor when they are finished eating. Why are our children allowed to act like this?

It is my understanding that the administrators in the lunchroom are looking for students holding hands with their boyfriends or girlfriends, or texting on their cell phones. I agree that these behaviors need monitoring, but since when is throwing food or pushing lunch trays on the floor acceptable?

I don't know about other parents, but I would like to think basic respect is still modeled and expected in school. I was very disappointed in what I observed at EHS.

Kevin Coleman, Evans

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 10/05/09 - 01:10 am
I'm sure your son is going to

I'm sure your son is going to appreciate the "feedback" he gets from this letter. Some things are better handled in private directly with the school administrators.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/05/09 - 02:16 am
swirly (sp?)

swirly (sp?)

shamrock
shamrock 10/05/09 - 06:24 am
I agree with AhsanMinnik.

I agree with AhsanMinnik.

dashiel
dashiel 10/05/09 - 06:36 am
goodness & mercy?

goodness & mercy?

xanadu
xanadu 10/05/09 - 06:38 am
kids today are coddled and

kids today are coddled and pampered and spoiled. the administration probably thinks it will warp their budding, fledgling creative instincts if they make them follow orders or act civilized while in the cafeteria. making them pick up food from the floor or put their trays in a bin??? unthinkable!!! this would traumatize them so much, the school would go broke providing the psychiatric counselling needed to get them through such a daily tragedy.

specialist
specialist 10/05/09 - 06:46 am
How about getting that

How about getting that "OVERPAID" School Superintendent off his lazy duff and make him randomly visit (unannounced) the Col. County schools during lunch time. Bet that would get some principles attention.

belle
belle 10/05/09 - 07:07 am
perhaps Kevin should

perhaps Kevin should volunteer to help monitor the lunchroom behaviour one day. I volunteered many times at the middle school level and can tell you that you are so busy looking for drugs and violent and sexual behaviour (not holding hands, you wouldn't believe what these kids will do in public) you don't have time to look under the tables. They are PACKED in there. And they don't just stand u- and raise their fists prior to a fight. They dive right over the table and are likely armed. You are watching for that, not napkins on the floor. I would suggest that the parents teach their children how to act in public and to respect the custodians enough not to trash the building for them to clean up.

HotFoot
HotFoot 10/05/09 - 07:11 am
At Davidson, the students

At Davidson, the students take turns wiping down the tables after each lunch period. Sounds like Evans doesn't have much discipline. So much for Columbia County's superiority.

WAG
WAG 10/05/09 - 07:22 am
This is because we have

This is because we have raised a bunch of snotty nosed little brats...Don't dare get on to my child....That is how most parents think while is obvious they don't get on to them either..Make the little brats clean the lunch room.

deros
deros 10/05/09 - 07:38 am
It wasn't like that when I

It wasn't like that when I went to EHS (early 80's). It starts at home, but the school definitely needs to address this if it is a problem beyond the "normal" mess created by students having lunch.

disssman
disssman 10/05/09 - 08:00 am
Now all Kevin needs to do is

Now all Kevin needs to do is make a suggestion, about what to do, that will not upset the students. I am sure the students have learned in the past couple of days that authority figures will be dealt a severe blow if they attempt to do anything about the real punks in school. Further, I am sure the authority figures also realize they are out in left field when problems arise. So now we learn to live with it and just act like it isn't happening.

clyde1
clyde1 10/05/09 - 08:13 am
I'm a teacher as well and our

I'm a teacher as well and our commons is amazing clean after lunch. All it needs is to have the teachers who are on duty walk around and make sure the floor is clutter-free and the tables are cleaned off. I don't find it difficult to ask the students to pick the trash up off the floor. If it starts with the first lunch period and the attendants are consistent, this problem will be kept to a minimum.

snickers123
snickers123 10/05/09 - 08:20 am
I agree with Ahsanminnik. But

I agree with Ahsanminnik. But working in a school cafeteria you do have to watch for other things.When your there day after day after day and see things go on you just don't think about the trash. But also the students DO need to be more respectful for the workers.It is not easy working in a school cafeteria.

getalife
getalife 10/05/09 - 08:26 am
Kevin, I think basic respect

Kevin, I think basic respect left a long time ago

belle
belle 10/05/09 - 08:55 am
FYI.....Evans has @ 2000

FYI.....Evans has @ 2000 students....a little harder to control than the few at Davidson.

dawgfan123
dawgfan123 10/05/09 - 09:09 am
I think belle needs to get a

I think belle needs to get a grip on reality. It's because of people like this we are dealing with these situations in our schools. I agree I think respect starts at home but remember kids will get away with what you let them.

HotFoot
HotFoot 10/05/09 - 09:37 am
True, Davidson has about 700

True, Davidson has about 700 kids, but that shouldn't matter if the administration and teachers set the tone and make their expectations clear. I know not every kid in that school has a great home situation with appropriate discipline, yet it's expected of them at school and they live up to the standard.

sdfsdf
sdfsdf 10/05/09 - 10:02 am
Attitude reflects leadership.

Attitude reflects leadership. Those disrespectful kids have passive parents with very low standards. Just take a look at the article about the Lakeside punk who pulled up a girl's skirt chest high and kept it there. Most parents dismissed that extremely disrespectful behavior as "just a prank" and "kids will be kids" and all of this other passive crap. It's no shock things are the way they are when many parents condone the disrespectful behavior by doing little to nothing about it, not to mention they can't identify disrespect if it pulled up their skirt. Disrespect is at the bottom of every failed relationship (and dirty lunchroom).

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/05/09 - 10:29 am
Basically the remaining

Basically the remaining respect and morality in our society died the day that a president said, "I did not have sex with that women". The American public said OK.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/05/09 - 10:33 am
The next logical step

The next logical step following the "Trophy Generation" is the generation of sociopaths. Make all of them clean the lunchroom and the whole school before they can leave for the day or go to sports practice and the change will be sudden and dramatic.

change display name
change display name 10/05/09 - 10:35 am
Oh good Lord. If trash on

Oh good Lord. If trash on the floor after 2000 kids eat lunch is the only problem you encounter at EHS, you are doing great. Oh-- and the skirt thing was at Lakeside, not Greenbrier.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 10/05/09 - 10:38 am
What has happened to EHS? It

What has happened to EHS? It wasn't like that in the early 90's.

mad_max
mad_max 10/05/09 - 10:42 am
No power to punish = no

No power to punish = no punishment = more bad behavior. Most parents today would be filing law suits if the administrator took names during lunch and tried to keep the offenders after school to scrub the cafeteria. There is no respect without a certain amount of fear. Besides, it's easier to ignore bad behavior and just hire more employees to do the cleanup. Discipline would actually require administrators and teachers to do their job. Since it is almost impossible to discipline a student nowadays the administrators should be able to just expel them and let the parents find a private school.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/05/09 - 10:49 am
Since it is almost impossible

Since it is almost impossible to discipline a student nowadays the administrators should be able to just expel them and let the parents find a private school. "mad max. I agree. BUT just think of the outcome or actions that would happen when the expel rate was uneven.

5555 10/05/09 - 10:56 am
When I read this editorial, I

When I read this editorial, I did not interpret it as a criticism to the administration. I think this father is just concerned that this disrespectful behavior is taking place... and he has a right to ask why. These administrators have many, many responsibilities... we all know that. What we all need to realize though, is that when we fail to enforce basic rules, we are just asking for trouble. One thing leads to another.

IDClaire
IDClaire 10/05/09 - 11:51 am
Hmm wonder if the

Hmm wonder if the administrator monitors her own children at home?

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 10/05/09 - 11:56 am
Just curious, are there

Just curious, are there cameras in the lunch rooms today?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/05/09 - 12:10 pm
This is how children

This is how children (especially high school kids) act when their parents don't teach them respect. Most are just shipped off to school every day for babysitting then their little brats act up all day long. When I went to Evans it wasn't bad then- no telling what it's like now. Parents have stopped teaching their children manners and common decency.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/05/09 - 12:25 pm
I wonder just how many

I wonder just how many parents actually go to their children's school during the 12 or + years they attend. I feel a lot of them have the attitude of "out of site, out of mind". It should be mandatory that they visit at least 4 times a year. I know I did for my 5 sons. You would see a lot more Kevin letter being posted.

mycomments
mycomments 10/05/09 - 01:04 pm
It's not only the cafeteria.

It's not only the cafeteria. The kids have no respect for the teachers either. The teachers don't demand respect, so they don't get it and they let the kids run the school. It's easier than disciplining them. I moved to Columbia County supposedly because of the "great" schools. Don't worry, Richmond County, it's just a BIG myth. There is absolutely no leadership at Evans. What I teach at home goes out the window as soon as they get to school. They don't discipline at all. I actually had one bring a test home because he didn't "finish it"(he did 2 items of a two page test). I called the teacher to hopefully have an ally and to punish the child and give him a zero and I was told, "It's ok, he can turn it in when he gets through with it." I couldn't believe it. When we asked that one child be given 0's when he doesn't turn in his work, we were told by a teacher with a PhD, that they are directed not to fail the students because that will cause them to feel bad about themselves. I agree, make the students clean the room after lunch. Set up a group of 10-15 and rotate them weekly. They won't respect the adults but you better believe they won't make a mess for their fellow friends.