Other cancer battles noteworthy, too

After receiving my pink newspaper this morning, I felt the need to write this.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am in full support of those battling the horrible disease of breast cancer, but there are many of us -- including me -- battling other cancers. What does it take for others would are battling other types of cancer to get this kind of publicity?

This Saturday, Oct. 3, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at Augusta Common, will be the Light the Night Walk to find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers. This walk is a nationwide event walk to celebrate and commemorate lives touched by cancer.

- Leukemia is the number one disease killer of children younger than age 20.

- More than 890,000 Americans live with blood cancer.

- Every five minutes, someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer.

- Every 10 minutes, someone dies from a blood cancer.

All monies raised will go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. If it weren't for research, many of us wouldn't be here today.

Please give this some consideration. I've experienced the wonders of modern-day medicine and want others to be able to do likewise.

Suzanne Shapiro

Augusta

dixiedog
dixiedog 10/02/09 - 03:21 am
May God bless you and all

May God bless you and all victims of cancer, I am sure it is the scariest disease on the planet. I am curently battling 2 cancers and they have been a blessing to me in many ways. I now love people more than ever..I cherish my family and friends more than ever and my relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has never been better. Being a Viet Nam veteran with the Marine Corp, I have never taken life for granted, but since I have been diagnosed with prostate and bladder cancer, I have truly learned to live one day at a time and live it to the fullest. To God be the Glory!!! I have never enjoyed life so much or been happier.

soldout
soldout 10/02/09 - 07:00 am
dixiedog Dr.David G.

dixiedog Dr.David G. Williams; in his alternatives newsletter has a recent one focused on prostate cancer. Call 800-718-8293. He gives lots of insight you may not have been told. Also there is a theory that 100% of breast cancer is related to jaw cavitations and some other cancer too. Thermography will reveal if you have cavitations and a dentist trained in fixing them can do that in a few minutes. The research has shown that the jaw cavitation infection (which your regular dentist will not see or even check for) feeds the tumors. Once the source is stopped the tumor reduces and goes away. The tumor; instead of being the enemy is actually saving your life and storing the acidic material from the source. People trained in NAET can help and an office about an hour away has a thermography machine. Thermography can find tumors years before mammograms too with no radiation or pressure that can create it's own problems.

JacksonJo
JacksonJo 10/02/09 - 07:55 am
I totally agree---My mother

I totally agree---My mother had breast cancer ,my father had leukemia and now my daughter at 28 has lymphoma--I have hardly heard anything about the Light The Night walk this weekend----as for the pink paper--whatever it cost to make it pink could have been donated----

soldout
soldout 10/02/09 - 08:18 am
Sometimes, in any

Sometimes, in any organization or effort if it loses site of what it is supposed to be doing it can become all about promotion of self, saying the right things, funding instead of function, feel good instead of fixing, size over substance etc. Time will tell the truth about any organized effort or organization. If they are open minded to truth they tend to survive, meet goals, and do well but if closed minded and tell folks, "it is my way or the highway" they end up on a dead end road and become unteachable. It happens in business, churches and any organized effort of any kind.

treerock
treerock 10/02/09 - 09:06 am
get some vitamin d from the

get some vitamin d from the sun. and eat the inner gel of the aloe vera plant. also, ingest quality flax oil (high lignan content, should be refrigerated) mixed with organic cottage cheese daily. swish with organic sesame seed oil for 20 minutes first thing in the morning before eating. una de gato (cat's claw) extract (whole plant) is good for battling cancer as well. etc.

soldout
soldout 10/02/09 - 10:40 am
good stuff treerock; I and

good stuff treerock; I and others have used oil pulling to fix all kinds of stuff especially muscle and joint. I think from what I read that sunflower and sesame oil both work. Keep up the good posts treerock.

treerock
treerock 10/02/09 - 11:47 am
thanks, soldout. the oil

thanks, soldout. the oil pulling has taken a little to get used to, but my mouth is very refreshed afterwards. another good nutritional remedy for muscle and joint pain is chia seeds. one would be better off eating them instead of growing a 'fro on a clay likeness of the president. astaxanthin (derived from a red microalgae, it's what gives salmon that distinctive color as it is a primary food source for them) is wonderful for athletes that wish to ease muscle pain post workout as well as increase endurance. i usually take 8-16 mg daily. it took about a month of diligence, but i slowly realized i no longer was breathing heavily after hiking up and down hills. good stuff, indeed.

anotherlook
anotherlook 10/02/09 - 11:50 am
In response to Ms. Shapiro,

In response to Ms. Shapiro, this type of awareness promotion did not happen by chance. Many extremely committed individuals had a vision that there would be education for the public, treatment opportunities regardless of income or ability ot pay or health care coverage, and research to develop a cure. This didn't happen overnight. There was a time when resources for treatment of Prostate cancer far out-funded many other types of cancers. I guess it began about the time when Arnold Palmer was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. Over an number of years those fighting breast cancer have developed many creative ways of reaching potential donors and those who could bring awareness to the public about early detection and types of treatment. Eventually having combined the efforts of private industry, government health initiatives, and the efforts of many talented, notable, skilled supportive loved ones and determined survivors, it brought the vision of so many into reality. I commend the efforts of everyone who seeks to promote healthy living in our communities. Keep up the good work! One day we will overcome cancer in all of its forms.

treerock
treerock 10/02/09 - 11:51 am
the inner gel of the aloe

the inner gel of the aloe vera plant (i grow my own at home) really has a horrible taste, but blended with an avocado along with a banana, blueberries (fresh picked a few weeks ago in the shining rock wilderness of north carolina!), almond milk, hemp seed and some local raw honey really takes the bitterness away.

foracure
foracure 10/02/09 - 12:39 pm
More often than not, a

More often than not, a non-profit organization is paying for that type of publicity... which is probably the case here.

I have heard about the Light the Night Walk on local radio and tv shows-- Austin Rhodes, Harley Drew, etc. So it is being covered... just by other media outlets.

corgimom
corgimom 10/02/09 - 01:55 pm
Soldout, you've been taking

Soldout, you've been taking too many NAES treatments and you have totally lost it. Jaw cavitations. Wow.

soldout
soldout 10/02/09 - 04:13 pm
corgimom I have seen the

corgimom I have seen the patients, I have seen the thermography, I have seen the patient after oral surgery and I have seen the results. One lady had her hearing totally restored in an ear in the middle of the cavitation surgery. They had to stop because she didn't know what the noises were. I need more NAET treatments if life is going to be this exciting. Everyone else would be excited if they saw what I have seen. I am having fun and helping a few folks fine hope when they had very little.

lymphomasurvivor
lymphomasurvivor 10/02/09 - 05:00 pm
Ms. Shapiro. Thanks for

Ms. Shapiro. Thanks for saying what I've felt for a long time. I, too, fully support any cancer patient's struggle with this horrible disease, but lately it seems that some cancers are more popular than others. It would be nice if the Chronicle would die an issue purple for us.

Ken
Ken 10/02/09 - 06:59 pm
As families deal with this

As families deal with this horrible disease, we need more people like you to bring awareness and raise funds to help with a cure. If more people cared as you do we would get to a cure sooner. Keep up the great work and don't let anything stop your resolve.

corgimom
corgimom 10/02/09 - 10:20 pm
Soldout, inner ear problems

Soldout, inner ear problems and breast cancer have nothing to do with each other. And hey, why did the woman have to have oral surgery, I thought NAES cured everything. And why do you have to use oil on your joints if you have NAES?

mable8
mable8 10/05/09 - 12:50 am
I agree that there are other

I agree that there are other cancers just as deadly; focusing all the publicity on just one type is unfair to those suffering from other forms of the disease. I don't "think pink" unless I am considering painting a room for a little girl...The money wasted for this type of publicity should have gone to further the research on all cancers. A major focus for the breast cancer researchers would to improve the mammogram, which does NOT adequately find breast cancer. It misses the mark far too frequently and until they can come up with an improvement, the mammogram should be shelved.

ramble
ramble 10/05/09 - 09:57 am
Along the same lines- don't

Along the same lines- don't forget about heart disease, which is the number 1 killer, by far, of men and women. Women in the US are 12x more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than breast cancer... long story short- be educated and aware of your risks, for cancer and other diseases.

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 10/05/09 - 10:07 am
Mable all those THINK PINK

Mable all those THINK PINK things do help research especially if you purchase thru the right people. If you want a specific type of cancer to be out there more then do something about it. The whole think pink was done by people that were diagnosed with Breast Cancer and they worked hard to get it out there. I am not insensitive to other cancers my heart goes out to anyone that is affected by this disease, but instead of asking WHY go out and start your own walk during a specific month contact the ACS to find out what is going on. I have purchased numerous things already and over half of the price was donated to research.

Judy
Judy 10/05/09 - 12:17 pm
I am a one year breast cancer

I am a one year breast cancer survivor. (My grandmother and mother were both breast cancer patients and are no longer with us.) I certainly can understand the feelings of others that suffer other forms of cancer. But, I just have to say I am very thankful for the pink newspaper and every function that is held in October. God bless all cancer survivors and those who did not win the battle with cancer.

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.