With friends like these...

Barack Obama again lamented the United States' alleged past penchant for "going it alone" in his first speech to the United Nations Wednesday.

But he may soon see the need for going it alone.

The reason was right in front of him on Wednesday.

In short, the world is a mess of despots and dictators, as well as democracies without spines -- and the U.N. bureaucracy both institutionalizes that mess and exacerbates it.

Then the world body somehow forces the United States to dirty our soil with the soles of murderers and terrorists like Moammar Gadhafi of Libya and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran.

Following Obama's speech, Gadhafi -- who recently celebrated the release of his Lockerbie-bombing, mass-murdering countryman -- read a rambling, drunken-style laundry list of attacks on just about every Western institution.

The U.N., mind you, is the same institution that recently said Israel may have been guilty of "possible war crimes and crimes against humanity" for defending itself against constant rockets fired from Gaza. Never mind that Hamas terrorists committed two war crimes in one -- by firing rockets at civilians in Israel from behind civilians in residential areas of Gaza.

Yet, President Obama is hoping the U.N. is charmed enough by him to do the United States' bidding -- that his good cop will just sound so good next to Bush's bad cop that the U.N. will suddenly transform itself into a reasonable, functional, freedom-loving bunch.

Over half a century of experience screams otherwise.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 09/24/09 - 04:23 am
Socialized democracies are

Socialized democracies are too metrosexual to have a stiff spine. Only a representative republic, like the one being assaulted in America right now, has the ability and willingness to stand straight. As the scales of fantasy and misinformation are peeled (by experience) from the eyes of Obama, he'll see more of the truth. Since he feels his presidency is all about Obama (he used "I" or "me" more than 150 times in his 15 minute speech to the U.N.), maybe, when reality becomes obvious enough for him to see, he'll stop trying to snivel his way into the socialist line and move over into the responsibility line. This country needs a leader for president, not a follower.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/09 - 05:18 am
Obama may think he is suave

Obama may think he is suave enough to be world leader or whatever he wants, but I'd like to see him try to lead the Augusta Richmond County Commission. If you think the UN is dysfunctional...ha.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/24/09 - 05:28 am
He wont get the support he

He wont get the support he needs from the UN as they know he is all ready too far in debt to give them a speech about balancing an economic problem world wide. What was that man thinking going it all alone in the first place? I have to agree with you whippingpost, the man is blind, but those scales wont be peeled off anytime soon, even the Congressional party is still trying to spend more when the economy is still broke and they say recession is coming to an end. If this is an end to such recession, where are all the jobs? Some of these UN leaders are still concerned about OUR state of affairs that our president cant seem to fix and they are not willing to keep spending their money to help us when we show nothing for fixing it to begin with.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 06:00 am
The U.S. military-industrial

The U.S. military-industrial complex & war based economy is more culpable than any other country, group of countries, or terrorist organizations for the growing chaos & misery in the world today. United States spends more on arms than the rest of the world combined. United States has no moral foothold for criticizing other nations on their human rights record. United States has no moral ground for criticizing other nations for aggressive use of military force. Barack Obama is an American Establishment politician (like Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, John McCain, Joe Lieberman & nearly every leader elected through the system) who is bought and paid for by corporate & other special interests. The UN is a parody of democracy when one Security Council member has veto power over the majority with no recourse. United States has used its veto power plenty of times on behalf of Israel. We are at an inflection point in history. United States is mired in unwinnable, neocolonial, political wars & is financially as well as morally bankrupt. Russia may feign cooperation with United States, but China is the real winner & the world's coming economic leader along with India. And now the US denouement.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 09/24/09 - 06:18 am
War based economy, Cain?

War based economy, Cain? You're a true Obamanite. America is always at fault. I guess none of your income comes from Americans because you'd never take money from the war based economy. Your meds are way off today.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 06:53 am
Whether I'm on meds or not,

Whether I'm on meds or not, WhippingPost, at least I can read which obviously you cannot. I criticized President Obama as an American Establishment politician who is in the pocket of special interests including Wall Street bankers & corporations. If you don't realize that a huge proportion on the U.S. economy is dependent on the military-industrial-governmental complex & waging endless wars then you just aren't very bright. America is going down the tubes by almost every measure. Great minds can engineer ever more powerful silicon chips & manipulate tiniest particles of matter, but we lack wisdom to engineer a sustainable economy or a world beyond the horrors of perpetual wars. The U.S. neocolonial wars in Iraq, Afghanistan & now Pakistan are political wars. Political wars NEVER end with a clear military victory. They ALWAYS end through negotiations. Trashing the UN did not work for George W. Bush & Republican war hawks. United States no longer is able to unilaterally decide the fate of other nations. United States has reached the limits of its empire. It is United States that risks isolation. I AM critical of Obama because beneath the rhetoric, he maintains Bush's hardline policy.

omnomnom
omnomnom 09/24/09 - 07:04 am
I'd have to sign on with Cain

I'd have to sign on with Cain on this. America and the U.N. has no right to dictate who may and who may not have nuclear weapons. There is no end in sight to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I see no real "change" from Obama as a leader or anyone the Republican or Democratic party coming. We need another choice. The lesser of two evils... still sucks.
(dont blame me I voted for Ron Paul)

concernednative
concernednative 09/24/09 - 07:11 am
One thing Cain is correct

One thing Cain is correct about is China and India will be the new superpowers soon. They have the money and the populations to do it. Just sit back and continue to push for the status quo in America and watch them blow past us.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 09/24/09 - 07:34 am
Cain,As long as the federal

Cain,As long as the federal government tries to socialize the economy with redistribution of wealth techniques and social programs, the economy will continue to suffer. You can blame this damage on the national defense, but it's the social engineering that crumbles the society. It's happened through out history and social programs of FDR, Carter, the Bush presidents and Clinton have gone a long way toward ending capitalism and the power and inspiration of the free market. Obama is the hammer that is striking this spike into the heart of a once great country. National defense and the freedoms once enjoyed by Americans will disappear at the same time.

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/24/09 - 07:42 am
AC, are you sure that you

AC, are you sure that you listened to the President's speech? Much of what he said was traditional conservative ideology. Are you so blinded by your hatred of our President that you couldn't hear what he actually said?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/24/09 - 07:57 am
It's a bit hard to understand

It's a bit hard to understand someone who speaks out of both sides of his mouth!

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 09/24/09 - 08:02 am
Even some of the libs in the

Even some of the libs in the dim congress are questioning the speech of prezbho and wondering about his motives. Are they possibly showing concern about the direction he wants to take our once great country?

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/24/09 - 08:31 am

Thank you AC for giving Cain a reason to post a "I hate Israel" comment. It's so refreshing to see posts from a real American like Cain. I long for the day when he will move his wife and daughters to a land where they can really celebrate their freedoms. They can do things like cover their faces in public or face beatings, recieve no education, hold no job and become below second class citizens.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 09:05 am
Right, AWyld1, I "hate"

Right, AWyld1, I "hate" Israel the same way that Jimmy Carter "hates" Israel. We do not hate Israel or Jewish people, but we are critical of the human rights record & foreign policy of the Jewish state of Israel. As for your disparaging comments implicating Muslims: United States did not invade Afghanistan & then Iraq because we support women's rights. If a country wants to work to improve women's rights in the Arab & Muslim world it does that best by working at the margins through international NGOs, etc.. We do not further women's rights by invading countries and occupying them militarily. Furthermore, in Iraq under Saddam Hussein women were not required to wear the veil. Many were highly educated & worked in the public and private sectors. The U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq empowered fundamentalist, militant Muslims - many of them Shiites. Homosexuals are being murdered by fundamentalists under the U.S.-backed regime of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. In Afghanistan, opium production and corruption have thrived under the corrupt government of U.S.-backed President Hamid Karzai. The election in Afghanistan was corrupt. These are the reasons the Taliban is resurgent.

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/24/09 - 09:14 am
Gee where did I mention Iraq

Gee where did I mention Iraq in my post? Saddam's name will never be mentioned in any sentence that include "rights". HE was a douchbag that gassed his own people and tortured his own family members. Your kind of people huh?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 09/24/09 - 09:17 am
good ol cain the us is so

good ol cain the us is so rotten if i where you i would leave. i understand the dictators in africa and the middles east offer such a much betterr places to live. please take carter with you you are obvious a product of an unhappy childhood or something. i really do feel sorry for you and the depth of your unhappiness with our country. again if i hated this country and its history so much i would leave. p.s. take obama with you ... you are wrong about him he hates us too!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 09:29 am
Human rights is the bottom

Human rights is the bottom line with me. Saddam was a brutal dictator. Saddam was already known as "The Butcher of Baghdad" in 1980 when the Regan admin including Donald Rumsfeld supported him in his war with Iran. The Regan admin did not protest at the time when Saddam gassed the Kurds in 1988 (during the 8 year long Iran-Iraq war). Yes, Saddam was a war criminal, but the way to deal with him was to seek an arrest warrant through the international courts. It worked with Slobodan Milosevic in Serbia. United States invaded Iraq in order to get one man. The Iraqi people endured "shock and awe" bombing. Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have died as a result of the unjust, immoral, ill-advised, illegal U.S. invasion of Iraq. Saddam & his two sons are dead & Iraq poses no WMD threat to United States, but U.S. military forces still occupy Iraq & will for the foreseeable future despite the Status of Forces Agreement that requires all U.S. troops to be out of Iraq by 2011. That's not going to happen. Perpetual wars spelled doom for the Roman empire. Afghanistan is known as "the graveyard of empires". United States has engineered itself into a no win fiscal, political, and military quagmire.

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/24/09 - 09:34 am
Yet in that whole rambling

Yet in that whole rambling paragraph you failed one time to vilify Obama the way you called Bush a war criminal in every post. You are a legend in your own mind. A household name in your own house.

55 F-100
55 F-100 09/24/09 - 09:46 am
Gadhafi called Obama his

Gadhafi called Obama his son....................does that tell you anything America? Przbhojangles is having a blast making guest appearances on many T.V. shows, but all he is doing is destroying the little credibility that he had. 2010 is judgement day for the traitors who follow Prezbhojangles, and 2012 is when the American voters remove him from Washington, D.C., and send him back to his Chicago mafia "boys".

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 10:16 am
Investigate and prosecute

Investigate and prosecute Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld for their war crimes. When those cases are disposed of I'm open to investigating Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/24/09 - 10:20 am
I just bet you are. Yet, you

I just bet you are. Yet, you still haven't called out Obama like you swore you would. You are so transparent.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 10:32 am
Go back & read my posts. I'm

Go back & read my posts. I'm on Obama's case as an American Establishment politician in the pockets of the elite & dedicated to the preservation of the status quo. His rhetoric is smoother than Bush's, but his bottom line is maintaining Bush's wars & threatening Iran with "severe consequences" if they do not comply with his & the "international community's" wishes. I am damn hard on Obama, but he did inherit these wars. Bush started them. The war in Iraq was totally uncalled for & unnecessary. Obama's decision to escalate U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan will be a tragic mistake. His continuation & escalation of missile attacks in Pakistan is not only thoroughly counterproductive but highly illegal. Obama has failed to close Guantanamo & end the war in Iraq. Obama is a liar & a war criminal. He must fail because United States must fail in its illegal wars before it can set itself right again. Obama has spent too much time on health care & not enough time on ending these wars. He & the American people deserve to fail for abandoning our core principles. I expect Obama to escalate the war in Afghanistan & continue the CIA's air war in Pakistan. This is a tragedy & a crime.

AWyld1
AWyld1 09/24/09 - 10:41 am
Gee it only took you about 4

Gee it only took you about 4 and a half hours to finally admit it...where's your daily rantings about Obama? Like I said...transparent. If it weren't for me challenging you to keep your word you never would have posted it. I can skip past all your future posts cause they are no different except for your failure to keep your word. Have a nice life trying to get your head out of your anal cavity.

MyTake
MyTake 09/24/09 - 11:07 am
Mr. Obama well presented our

Mr. Obama well presented our case for going it alone if all else fails. His words were quite direct and he spelled out the situations of concern to all that that justify action. In the discreet diplomatic world it doesn't get any stronger than that.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 09/24/09 - 01:13 pm
If Kaddafy and Palin keep

If Kaddafy and Palin keep giving those long-winded diatribe speeches, then they may land a job at Faux Noise.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/09 - 01:17 pm
JohnRandolphHardisonCain,

JohnRandolphHardisonCain, Today you have voiced strong words about how the world is in the state of "quagmire" as you put it. All the reasons, government and people involved, actions past and present ect, ect,. If you were the president of this country, What would you do to correct this quagmire government situation. You have voiced your point, now voice your corrective actions.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 09/24/09 - 01:54 pm
If I were President I would

If I were President I would immediately normalize relations with Cuba & end the trade embargo. If I were President I would follow Zbigniew Brzezinski's 4 point peace plan for Iraq. Look it up. If I were President I would order immediate, open negotiations with the Taliban in Afghanistan. If I were President I would order the immediate cessation of all Predator drone missile strikes in Pakistan. If I were President I would offer Iran a non-aggression treaty in exchange for allowing IAEA inspectors to track their nuclear program. I would help Iran develop trade with the west. If I were President I would immediately recognize the state of Palestine. None of the above measures threaten Israel, weaken United States, or leave us open to attack. I would continue to press for terrorists to be brought to trial for their crimes by relying on international cooperation & by using multilateral institutions such as Interpol and the World Court. If I were President I would continue to work to secure loose nukes and press forward with nuclear non-proliferation and nuclear arms reduction efforts. As C in C I would defend United States' right to self-defense but would eschew military aggression.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 09/24/09 - 01:59 pm
niky you may not like it but

niky you may not like it but looks like people really appreciate what Sara has to say. After listening to prezbho give his incompetent speeches every day, anything is better than that. I know you'll have some derrogatory comment about Sara but that's exactly what we've come to expect from you.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 09/24/09 - 02:07 pm
sarah has more common sense

sarah has more common sense in her little pinky than obama has in his whole administration.

concernednative
concernednative 09/24/09 - 02:19 pm
I can't help but laugh out

I can't help but laugh out loud everytime I see a post about how smart Sarah Palin is. It just shows you that 20% of the nation will go for anything. Sarah Palin "sits on the TV and watches the sofa" as I heard someone on TV say the other day.