Westobou: Film highlights ongoing civil rights struggle

Dare Not Walk Alone , an award-winning documentary on the civil rights struggle in St. Augustine, Fla., will be screened at 7 tonight at the Imperial Theatre, 745 Broad St.

The film from director and producer Jeremy Dean deals with protests against segregation in 1964 that often led to violent confrontations in the city. Events there helped lead to passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The 83-minute documentary includes archival footage and contemporary interviews with participants, including former Atlanta mayor and U.N. ambassador Andrew Young.

The film will be shown in conjunction with the Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers. Admission costs $5, or $3 for military personnel and students. Tickets are available at the box office only. Learn more at imperialtheatre.com.

For more on the documentary, see darenotwalk alone.com.

TODAY AT WESTOBOU

10TH DISTRICT CHOIR OF THE GENERAL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CONVENTION OF GEORGIA: 7:30 p.m., Gilbert-Lambuth Memorial Chapel, Paine College

ORGAN SERIES FEATURING DR. LEON W. COUCH III: 11 a.m., St. John United Methodist Church, 736 Greene St.; free; (706) 495-4855

TRIO AUGUSTA PLAYS MENDELSSOHN AND JOHN WILLIAMS: Noon, Grover C. Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre, Augusta State University, 2500 Walton Way; $5; ASU students, faculty and staff free with JagCard; (706) 667-4100

SITKA TRIO: 7:30 p.m., Grover C. Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre, Augusta State University, also featuring members of ASU Conservatory Faculty; $5; ASU students, faculty and staff free with JagCard; maxwelltheatre.aug.edu

DARE NOT WALK ALONE: Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers, 7 p.m., Imperial Theatre, 745 Broad St.; $5; $3 military and students, available at box office only; imperialtheatre.com

SAVANNAH RIVER WINDS: 7:30 p.m., First Baptist Church of North Augusta, 625 Georgia Ave.; overtures, marches, ballads and Broadway show tunes; naartscouncil.org

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/09 - 06:45 am
Hey southernguy08,

ColCo
ColCo 09/21/09 - 06:49 am
"Do Not Walk Alone," sounds

"Do Not Walk Alone," sounds like the current mantra for downtown Atlanta.

Crazy Irish
Crazy Irish 09/21/09 - 08:32 am
How is this Artistic?

How is this Artistic?

KingJames
KingJames 09/21/09 - 08:58 am
Crazy Irish, it's a

Crazy Irish, it's a documentary. It's history. It's an independent film made from archival footage of the civil rights struggle in St. Augustine. Any depiction of a remarkable event (whether paintings, photographs, motion pictures, or literature) is artistic. It's called enlightenment.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/09 - 09:03 am
jackfruitpaper, only if you

jackfruitpaper, only if you aren't going to be there. I think this is wonderful. I just wish that it was some place else beside downtown Broad St. late in the evening.

Irish
Irish 09/21/09 - 09:36 am
Jackfruit your ignorance is

Jackfruit your ignorance is showing, As a college student during that time I was part of the movement. I believe all men are created equal...I also believe all men should behave equally and take responsibility for themselves. I never dreamed we were creating a welfare society....I also went to viet nam during the time that rioting was going on in my home town...My mother was more afraid to go shopping than I was to walk through a village. Grow up and quit blaming others for your failures.....

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/09 - 11:00 am
Irish WHAT... I just ask were

Irish WHAT... I just ask were you attending that's all.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/09 - 11:03 am
ICL suppose if they have it

ICL suppose if they have it in the DAY TIME (snickers) you would attend? So many people like you living in fear.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/09 - 11:16 am
jackfruit....it isn't a

jackfruit....it isn't a matter of living in fear, which you have the idea that everything is. It's a matter of being cautious and aware of my surroundings. You wouldn't want me to get hurt now would you....that wouldn't be very Christian like of you. I don't think it is a good idea for a female to be walking to her car on Broad St in the evening by herself is all. You try to insinuate that it's more than that, which doesn't surprise me. You are pathetic.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/09 - 11:49 am
ICL if this was downtown

ICL if this was downtown Aiken would you be as SCARED NO, if this was downtown Columbia SC, NO. You are scared because of whatever image you have of broad street in your mind. You are a praying woman (I suppose) then before you go ask God to cover you with the blood of Jesus and hedge you in and let no hurt, harm, or danger come upon you in Jesus name. Or take someone with you if you are that scared of broad street. And you got the nerve to call me pathetic LOL OMG scary woman get your sorry husband to go with you, wait he may be as scared.

mgroothand
mgroothand 09/21/09 - 12:04 pm
This one scab I wish they'd

This one scab I wish they'd leave alone. This documentary will no doubt show the injustices then inflicted on blacks. I say then and things have undoubtedly improved greatly for minorities. Today there is a minority of blacks that when reminded of how bad things were then they once again become incensed and rally others to those days of injustice. Although we need to remember the past to learn about the future, this type of remembrance serves no purpose as it will not ever happen again and is therefore shown only as shock value.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/09 - 12:15 pm
jackfruit, I have no idea if

jackfruit, I have no idea if I would be as concerned about downtown Aiken or Columbia, SC. Just because I'm a praying women, I do believe the God expects me to use my head and not place myself in situations where it is not safe. If it was something that I HAD to do, then I would pray for a hedge of protection but seeing how seeing this show isn't a "must see" event, then it is wiser for me not to attend. As for getting my husband to go with me, I would if it wasn't for the fact that he works and believe me he is not scared. You seem to have a problem with the definition of being scared and being cautious...calling you pathetic was right on the mark, doesn't take any nerve at all...I call it how I see it and you sir are definitely pathetic.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/09 - 12:20 pm
Jackfruit...would you send

Jackfruit...would you send your daughter (or wife) down to Broad St. at night by herself? If so, this doesn't say much for your character. Even two women alone at night in this area is not safe. It is not an imagine in my mind that downtown Broad St. isn't safe....it's a fact.

KingJames
KingJames 09/21/09 - 12:26 pm
Mgroot, the reason this will

Mgroot, the reason this will never happen again is partly because of documentaries. What some feel as an unnecessary spotlight on bad times may actually help prevent those atrocities from happening again. Blacks who are reminded of those times don't always incite riots. Afterall, that was the way the times WERE. Fighting and rioting about it now changes nothing. However, looking at the past from fresh, modern eyes may give us all a better understanding of each other. What you are saying is almost as bad as denying the holocaust ever happened. It was horrific, but until put directly before your conscience, you won't begin to have even the slightest glimpse of what others have endured merely so they can survive.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/09 - 12:36 pm
Yes I would and have they are

Yes I would and have they are not SCARED to go downtown like you ICL... you are a scary fragile white woman affraid of the environment around you, you are typical. I guess you LOCK your car doors the minute you see a black man walking towards your car (wait I do that to), nevertheless don't be so scared didn't God say he has not given us the spirit of fear?

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/09 - 01:05 pm
What you seem to not

What you seem to not comprehend, God say he has not given us a spirit of fear, true, but he also did not give us a mind of stupidity either. You trying to make this into a racial issue shows just how ignorant you are. I never mentioned why I was concerned about walking downtown at night....it has nothing to do with race, there are evil individuals of all walks of life but you ASSUMING, or indicating that it's because of a certain race just goes to show how racist you really are. By the way, it's not whether your daughter or wife are SCARED to be downtown late at night, it's a matter of being wise to put themselves at risk. And just so you know....No I don't lock my doors the minute I see a black man...I lock my doors any time I get into the car.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/09 - 02:14 pm
Shush ICL you lying devil.

Shush ICL you lying devil.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/21/09 - 06:43 pm
"Hey southernguy08,

"Hey southernguy08, convertedsoutherner, ICL, Mable8, jack, CBBP, Hillguy, overburden_taxpayer, baroness, SusieQ, Irish and I will list more later, will you guys be attending this screening tonight?
Posted by jackfruitpaper833 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 AM" No, jackfruit, I just read about it five minutes ago.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/09 - 06:58 pm
baroness, jackfruitpaper

baroness, jackfruitpaper really doesn't want to know. He just wanted to start some nonsense.

corgimom
corgimom 09/21/09 - 08:09 pm
You can't change history.

You can't change history. Hiding things doesn't change them. If what the film says was true, then why would anyone have problems with what a film says? And downtown Columbia is just like any big city, you need to watch your surroundings at all times and it's not very safe at night.

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.