In bad times, trust that God is wiser

Our daughter Abbey, 4 months old, is almost completely reliant on a feeding tube and pump. Pediatric specialists have filled our bedroom with medical equipment that will ensure her growth, so that they can perform open chest surgery this fall to remove part of her lung and a mass therein.

The Rev. Jeff Miller and his daughter Abbey  Special
Special
The Rev. Jeff Miller and his daughter Abbey

This has been anything but the idyllic experience of having a daughter, for which I waited many years.

There have been times in my life, and in all of our lives, when we are forced to live with a question that has no answer. Why, God? Why did this happen to me? It's like a question mark gets stamped on your soul, and you have to walk around with it. It's horribly uncomfortable.

There are times that we sow bad seed that reaps injurious consequences. Sometimes, though, things happen to us whether we ask for them or not.

The Scripture is replete with men and women who dealt with this. John the Baptist rots in a dungeon wondering whether he has wasted his life. Hannah was so broken that she could not eat because God had closed her womb. Job is famous for living with an unanswered question; the conclusion of his story teaches us that pain is not always explained or alleviated.

Many of us face similar trials: Prolonged and unexpected illness. What seemed like the perfect job opportunity falls through. The tragic loss of a child or loved one. The pain of a broken relationship that seemed destined for anything but fracture. We could each, I am sure, add to the list.

As I see it, there are two basic responses in such a situation: bitter anger or blind trust.

I can live for days, months, years in accusation of God and men for handing me an unfair deal. Sadly, many of us live our whole lives either medicating ourselves to ease the pain or pretending it's not there.

The harder road is blind trust. I am often confused, quiet and weepy. I stumble around with a question mark in my life, unanswered, prodding at me like a thorn in my side. It just stays there, and it hurts, but if I choose to accept it all at once along with God's goodness, over time my heart becomes sweet and soft.

In The Pilgrim's Progress , a young boy named Matthew is faced with a question: "What do you do when you meet with such places therein that you do not understand?" His reply: "I think God is wiser than I." Truly in our lives, the bitter must come before the sweet, but it makes the sweet the sweeter. Think about it.

THE REV. JEFF MILLER IS THE PASTOR OF Vineyard Community Church in Augusta.

soldout
soldout 09/19/09 - 08:07 am
I pray that Abbey is blessed

I pray that Abbey is blessed with a full recovery. There may also be help at www.ajourneytohealth.com. They are very advanced and do a lot of work with babies and children. Won't hurt to check with them.

Dan White 09/19/09 - 09:22 am
Pastor Miller, thanks for

Pastor Miller, thanks for pouring out your heart to us. I prayed for Abbey this morning and for your dear family. I read this in Streams in the Desert for Sept 19. "We should never forget that redemption, the world's greatest blessing, is the fruit of the world's greatest sorrow. There are many blessings we will never receive until we are ready to pay the price of pin, for th epath of suffering is the only way to reach them." Praying for complete healing of your precious daughter.

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 09/20/09 - 09:36 am
What a wonderful testimony

What a wonderful testimony Pastor Miller. The insight that you have can only be given to those who have walked through these bitter experiences. You are correct, we are either consumed with bitter anger or blind trust. We wrestle with the Lord for a clearer understanding as to the reason for these trials placed upon us. Pastor, I'd like to recommend a little book that has helped me tremendously after the death of my wife. The book is called "The fire of delayed answers" by Bob Sorge. The crucibal, cave or wilderness experience is expounded upon in this book and is devoid of the trite religous language that chuch folk regurgitate when they have no idea of the depth of the hurt, dispair or disappointment you feel. A very honest and refreshing examination of the fires of affliction, we who call ourselves Christian, will ultimately face. I will remember your little one and your family in my prayers.

codyisfree
codyisfree 09/20/09 - 06:35 pm
Dear Rev Miller,I know just

Dear Rev Miller,I know just what you are going through.17 years ago i Had a baby boy.My first was 12 at the time,It was my second marriage only did i know that i was fixing to go through along journey but the man i was married to left me and my two sons very abusive to my first son and always abuse to me.well on april of 1997 i took my baby to the doctor he was crying alot throwing fits with his stomach.So i was all alone And Dr Charles Howell knew did a sonagraw.and that day rev.My whole world changed.neuroblastoma stage iv,He told me straight up your baby has cancer.I liked to fell out there i was all by my self.And at the time i was not deicated or saved 6months old my baby He said Lisa oyur baby i give him 45% CHANCE.I called my mothernlaw and she was there for me my own family was not there for me.But to make a long story short;We went through hosiptal stays chemo clinic visits and alot of Hell i will say because.Listen he went into remission and March 24 1995 i lost my first son.24 days before his 14th birthday.I really didn't think there was a god.but faith brought me through oct 30 is cody's 17th birthday praise the lord.God has a plain.Ill be Praying.Love you LisaM

nofrills
nofrills 09/21/09 - 06:04 am
Rev Miller- Your words not

Rev Miller- Your words not only brought tears to my heart and prayer to my lips for sweet Abbey but it brought a wonderful message to all. I pray for you and your family.

mercyme
mercyme 09/21/09 - 07:35 am
May God Bless you!!!!!

May God Bless you!!!!!

anotherlook
anotherlook 09/21/09 - 08:03 am
As a member of the household

As a member of the household of faith, I will be in prayer for your family, Rev. Miller. I cannot know what you are feeling. But as one who has held the hand of more than one person who walked through the valley of death, my only advice would be to choose to live with gratitude and hope and not fear. Everyday is precious! The "Why" doesn't matter...only the NOW. May God's grace and mercy be with you all.

areyouserious
areyouserious 09/21/09 - 09:43 am
Thank you for your letter. I

Thank you for your letter. I was feeling down today, and this letter made me open my eyes. I will now choose blind trust. I've been hanging on to bitter anger, and it isn't working. Thanks again for sharing your story.

sugar babe 74
sugar babe 74 09/21/09 - 10:05 am
i have a son who was born

i have a son who was born with a kidney defect,he had to go on dialysis when he was 24,hes now 35 so i can see the question mark.i dont understand why these things happen,but god knows all things, i will pray for your daughter and hope things turn for the best,god's grace will see you through.

sugar babe 74
sugar babe 74 09/21/09 - 10:14 am
I should have put this in my

I should have put this in my first post,but preacher Miller,you remember in the Bible when Paul prayed to God to remove his thorn in the flesh,remember what God told him?"My grace is sufficent for thee"

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 09/21/09 - 11:03 am
If we believe, all things are

If we believe, all things are possible. Rev. Miller, I will be praying for a successful surgery and full recovery for your daughter, so that in future years you will be able to give a testimony of God's healing power.

a christian man 7
a christian man 7 09/22/09 - 07:55 am
I pray this very moment that

I pray this very moment that God will send the Holy Spirit down and heal your child.I pray that your written testimony will touch the lives of other people and they will relealize just how blessed they are and at the same time they will all pray that your child is healed and lives a long healthy prosperous life.God is a wonderful God and if we turn our lives over to him He will take care of us,but that is a very hard thing for man to do.Again I ask Jesus to heal your child.Miracles have never stopped happening and will never stop happening as long as we have faith.I lost a child a long time ago but God sent me another son to raise and enjoy.Am I blessed always sometimes I just do not realize it.May God bless you and your family in all things .Amen