Get on board for better health care

Heads up, "tea party" fans -- you may be on the wrong boat.

Administrative costs for Medicaid and Medicare run about 4 percent, vs. 12 percent to 20 percent for private plans. The arguments against universal health care are fueled by greed. Look at who's funding the anti-health-care ads. Those who skimp on health-care services to make bonuses are the ones we should not be sailing with.

I am in favor of a public option for universal health care coverage. For the past 28 years I have worked as a health-care provider. Currently I practice in two states. If I get ill or have an accident outside my primary state, I will have a huge co-pay for services. With a public option, I still would pay for insurance, but could use it anywhere in the United States without penalty.

Many of my relatives and friends work full-time without benefits. Their incomes prohibit the purchase of affordable health-care policies. They are productive citizens, yet they still operate in the pre-1960s world in which you use the emergency room for primary care, and you go to the hospital for emergency surgery or death.

The argument that we currently are free to "choose our own doctors," and that health-care decisions are made "between us and our doctors," is bogus. Insurance companies maintain lists of approved providers, and providers must be pre-approved to be paid for. I do not fear public care. I receive it, and it is good.

As a Christian, I believe that I am my brother's keeper. All of us deserve health care. Preventive and primary care for all will improve the health of our families and communities, and decrease the need for high-cost tertiary care.

Universal primary care with a public option is the boat I'm on. So let's stop smoking, walk daily, examine our consciences and get on board for better health.

Mary K. Sykes

Augusta

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/16/09 - 01:52 am
There is little that the

There is little that the government can do better than the private sector and President Obama said so himself in comparint the Post Office to FedEx or UPS. The post office fails miserably every year as does the VA and many other government services in detectring fraud and provinding good service without going bak to the taxpayers every year for more money. President Obama himself says he sees 500 Billion in Medicare fraud and waste that he would like to spend on Health Care instead - wouldn't we all. However to believe this will become a realiyt under the govrnment no matter which party is in charge is a falacy. As a Christian, I also believe I am my brothers keeper and I as do many others donate well to charity, help others and pay our fair share of taxes, etc. However, Jesus NEVER endorsed giving money to the government to take care of others, many of who are able bodied Americans that choose to spend their money foolishly vs. saving for health care. It is a matter of priorities such as cell phones, alcohol, etc. vs. health care and the more the government gives them using working citizens tax dollars, the more they are enabled not to have to take personal responsibility.

KingoftheUSA
KingoftheUSA 09/16/09 - 03:39 am
Mary, if you are a Christian

Mary, if you are a Christian then you know the only thing we all deserve is HELL. It is only by grace through faith in Jesus Christ that we can avoid what we all deserve. Being your brother's keeper is a good thing, just list your address and I'll send everyone I know that doesn't have health care coverage to you so you can buy it for them. You pay for it with your money, not mine. I provide for my family and help others when I'm led to do so. Being forced to take care of others by the government is not what I would call a Biblical teaching.

carcraft
carcraft 09/16/09 - 05:37 am
Mary nothing is stoping you

Mary nothing is stoping you from helping your brother. Under our constitution the governmnet has narrow responsibilities and powers and providing universal health care is NOT one of them. Start your own hospital to aid those in need of care. That is what people of good will have done Shriners, St. Judes, Seventh Day Adventis, Catholic etc. All good hospitals filling needs!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/16/09 - 05:46 am
Where are all the seperation

Where are all the seperation of church and state people when you need them....someone please get the ACLU involved...

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 09/16/09 - 06:38 am
Excellent letter Mary,

Excellent letter Mary, hopefully some will listen.

confederate american
confederate american 09/16/09 - 06:47 am
only government fools will

only government fools will listen to that dribble

carcraft
carcraft 09/16/09 - 06:48 am
Liberals are all for spending

Liberals are all for spending other peoples money ...look at the record of giving for say Obama, Biden, etc it is abysmal!

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/16/09 - 06:54 am
I wonder how many other

I wonder how many other "guvmint" programs Mary is on. In the immortal words of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, "The problem with Socialism is you eventually run out of other peoples' money."

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/16/09 - 07:06 am
Confederate American, I

Confederate American, I assume that you mean "drivel," not "dribble."

Cordie
Cordie 09/16/09 - 07:11 am
very good letter mary.

very good letter mary. don't you wonder sometimes what made some of these people so mean, self righteous,grouchy and so ugly. i wonder when they smiled last. so all of us try to ignore them because they will make us look like them. god forbid. hahaha

teharper428
teharper428 09/16/09 - 07:30 am
southern- you'd better

southern- you'd better improve your reading comprehension skills. The writer didn't mention any government programs she is on. Sounds like she is a productive member of society. "For the past 28 years I have worked as a health-care provider. Currently I practice in two states. If I get ill or have an accident outside my primary state, I will have a huge co-pay for services."
Keep in mind, just because someone shows compassion for others, doesn't translate to they are on gov't assistance. For all you know Mary could make you look a pauper.

justthefacts
21976
justthefacts 09/16/09 - 07:56 am
Mary, the public option is

Mary, the public option is pretty much dead meat. But, hopefully, someday, we reach a compromise that most people can embrace.

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 09/16/09 - 08:01 am
So part of the problem with

So part of the problem with crossing states is that each state has its own insurance commission and set of rules to go with it. That is why insurance companies want to charge more because they have to review a new set of rules for each state. If the medicare is doing so well then why is it running out of money? If it offers such great choices then why do so many doctors not accept it? You can't legislate that doctors will accept a government run program and take whatever payment they get. Eventually there will be no more doctors or at least there will be a shortage.

Cordie
Cordie 09/16/09 - 08:21 am
2tired2argueanymore---I agree

2tired2argueanymore---I agree when you have a negative viiew it will kill you and before you do become so tired. I don't know where you are getting your information, but THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION has endorsed President Obama's Plan. I agree about the crossing state lines-My husband and I are on Medicare and an Advantage Plan which is run by the Government (NOT MEDICAID NOW) He is 83 and I am am 77. We have the best care we have ever had. When we worked (over 55 years ) we had health acare from where we worked. I had Aetna and he had Pilot we were fully insured. You people have to realize that our young people do not have the advantages that we had. My husband is checked every month because he has a heart condition. I am required to go in every six months to be checked, even tho I don't have any real problems. I also feel that we should try to think of other people that do not have it quite as good as we do. DON"T BE SO SELFRIGHTEOUS AND JUDGEMENTAL. TO EVERYONE HAVE A NICE DAY.

justthefacts
21976
justthefacts 09/16/09 - 08:47 am
AMA endorsement means

AMA endorsement means nothing. Most doctors have left AMA.

carcraft
carcraft 09/16/09 - 08:52 am
Cordie on Wed Sep 16, 2009

Cordie on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:11 I laugh a lot, reading the liberal comments here is really fun....

soldout
soldout 09/16/09 - 08:58 am
The solution to health care

The solution to health care will be more individual responsibility through alternative care. Make it a goal to become "independently healthy" and fix problems instead of covering them with drugs. Alternative methods like NAET fix and help the body to care for itself. We can eliminate 80% of all medical and drug expense with the alternative knowledge available easily today. God wants you well and never intended for that to be complex or expensive. What ever we do, if it is expensive or complex; you can be sure it is not God's best.

deros
deros 09/16/09 - 09:11 am
WE should all ask ONE

WE should all ask ONE QUESTION...Why wouldn't congress want to be on the proposed plan?

deros
deros 09/16/09 - 09:11 am
Is congress going to be on a

Is congress going to be on a different "boat"?

dashiel
dashiel 09/16/09 - 09:16 am
Ms. Sykes' letter is

Ms. Sykes' letter is well-informed and sincere. A cowardly chorus that would deny such a still, quiet voice would probably sound very similar at a crucifixion. Light is given.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 09/16/09 - 09:34 am
prezbho won't even help his

prezbho won't even help his own brother and his family in Kenya are still waiting for some help from him. Funny how he wants everyone else to help and to pay but there is no indication that he plans to do the same. *** Many (85%) say they have excellent healthcare so prezbho wants to destroy an entire system to help 15%. I'm sure this type of thinking makes sense to libs.

slippery 25
slippery 25 09/16/09 - 09:45 am
My health care plan is

My health care plan is excellent. I choose to pass on government control.

mable8
mable8 09/16/09 - 09:50 am
Mary Sykes: Better watch out,

Mary Sykes: Better watch out, your boat is leaking because it has big gaping holes in it. The big O's healthcare plan is a disaster and everyone knows it. Do you think for a minute that he or any of his colleagues will participate in that fiasco? Of couse not; his medical care is paid for by the taxpayer. If you become seriously ill, under the big O's plan, you would be denied aggressive medical care and that is the same as a death sentence. The government is not about taking over private businesses and corporations, although that is what the big O is hoping to accomplish, which would then change the US from a free Republic to a puppet communistic regime.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/16/09 - 10:11 am
TEHARPER, please re-read, or

TEHARPER, please re-read, or get someone to read my post for you. I said I WONDER what government programs Ms. Sykes is on. She didn't say in what capacity she worked as a health-care provider. She didn't sign her letter as Mary Sykes, M.D., RN, FNP, or any other identification that would tell us what she does. And for all you know, she could be on every program available. And even if she is on none, it doesn't change the fact that history shows that GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS DON'T WORK AND COST US THROUGH THE NOSE!! If you think this one will work TEHARPER, please tell me why the president and congress saw it fitting to exempt themselves from this wonderful program, especially since it is already supposed to be an "option?"

orgpsych
orgpsych 09/16/09 - 10:40 am
I guess it all kinda depends

I guess it all kinda depends on how you view the world. Obviously there is a component of society (conservatives) that believes the worst about everyone. Therefore, if someone gets or needs assistance, it MUST be because they engage in self-destructive habits. Otherwise they would have money to spend on basic needs such as food amnd medical care. I wonder if these conservatives have ever tried to live off of $8.50 an hour. That's more than government-mandated Minimum Wage. It equates to about $17.600 a year. Not much money to spend, especially after taxes, when food and fuel costs are on the rise because of capitalist greed. I know you work hard for what you have and I believe that you deserve to reap the benefits of those efforts. You didn't do it alone, though. Others contributed and many of those make $8.50 an hour or less. Without them you would not be where you are, despite your protests and assertions to the contrary. It's time to take care of the other people on whom we depend, even if just a little bit. Good letter Mary.

mad_max
mad_max 09/16/09 - 10:45 am
Yeh Mary, they may have a

Yeh Mary, they may have a lower administrative cost. That proabably explains why more and more doctors refuse to take Medicare because it takes SO LONG to get paid. NOW, go check the cost due to fraud in private vs. Medicare and you will find that Medicare has a much higher loss due to fraud. That is also probably due to it's lower administrative cost because they do not have enough people to watch the hen house. There is a REASON Medicare has lower administrative costs. Because it is not run well and is rampant with fraud.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/16/09 - 10:49 am
ORG, I lived off minimum wage

ORG, I lived off minimum wage working full time and going to school. This is when it was far below what it is now. It inspired me to get the education and training I needed to get a better paying job with benefits. Helping people help themselves...priceless. Putting your faith in a government trillions in debt that can't even secure it's borders...stupid!

FaceTheMusic
FaceTheMusic 09/16/09 - 10:50 am
deros, you obviously don't

deros, you obviously don't undestand the proposed plan, or you have not been listening, or you have listened to Faux News too much. Anyone who HAS insurance and is happy with it, can keep it. Congress has an insurance plan that it is happy with, just as I do. Congress will keep its plan, just as I will keep mine. The proposed public option is for people who don't have insurance or for employees of small businesses which can't afford the exorbitant rates charged by insurance companies for a small pool of workers.

orgpsych
orgpsych 09/16/09 - 11:01 am
Southernguy, I understand

Southernguy, I understand what you say and many points bandied about here (border security, for example) are good points. But many of those issues are not confined to one party or another. American borders didn't get porous in the last few months. Administrations of both parties contributed to this situation. What concerns me is that the wrangling over health care reform is more about party politics. "Debate" of reform (and other issues) is more focused at tearing down rather than providing options and alternative suggestions. I see more energy being put into gaining and maintaining power at any cost rather than working to serve the needs of the American people. Not only are suggestions not being offered that "the other side" could use, those suggestions are not even brought out when "our side" is in power. The status quo is maintained and the losers are the American people. We have serious problems that need to be addressed without regard to who is in power or who gets the credit.

justthefacts
21976
justthefacts 09/16/09 - 11:03 am
I realize that what I am

I realize that what I am going to say is racist and I am only saying it because President Obama is black. However, I cannot understand how people like Mary refuse to look at the simple fact that we cannot afford another gov't program such as the public option. Right now, as we speak, we have over $53 TRILLION dollars in unfunded debt with medicare, medicaid, and social security. This is growing at an ever increasing rate and will continue that trend as the baby boomers come of age. Someone, anyone, tell me how are we going to pay that? You cannot raise taxes enough or print enough bogus money. I seriously believe that many people think that we can tax those making $250K and above and all will be well. Better think again.