Here's a proposal to stop socialism

I have read many letters sent in to The Chronicle, and editorials by the paper, concerning how socialism is destroying our country primarily since the liberals came upon the scene in the 1930s. I think I have a plan to correct this growing problem in our country:

First, as of today, no one can enroll in the Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid programs. People in the programs will continue, but as they pass on, the programs will decrease and be phased out.

The large socialistic projects, such as the Tennessee Valley Authority, will be sold by the government to private companies and operated on a for-profit basis.

The Department of Education will be shut down because we know what's best for educating our children. If we want to teach tobacco farming and religion in our classrooms, it should be left up to us (I hate to remind people that the way the federal people got a foot in the door in our educational system was partly because of our segregated schools).

Of course, the money from Washington stops.

Farm subsidies end (the large corporate farm operations get most of them anyhow).

The FDIC, the outfit that insures your bank deposits, will close down. If you have money in the bank, you probably ought to get it out and put it under your mattress.

The local governments -- city, county and state -- will take over the streets and roads and, because we can maintain our roads better, will get the potholes taken care of quickly.

No more bailouts for General Motors and Chrysler and the financial outfits. If you can't compete in the free enterprise system, you probably aren't building the cars people want and, in the case of banks. not handling the money as you should.

As for health care: If you work for a company that provides it, that's great. If the company you work for is too small to provide it -- tough luck, buddy. We're getting this country out of this mess.

This is not a complete plan, but I'm sure that the letter writers and editorial writers can add their ideas to make it even better. Then we'll be back to the capitalistic system that made this country great. We've learned our lesson.

Jim McGaughy

Aiken, S,C,

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 09/13/09 - 09:40 pm
Cordie I dont have insurance

Cordie I dont have insurance at this time, I'm not looking for a government hand out.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 09/13/09 - 09:41 pm
later

later

NavyVeteran
NavyVeteran 09/13/09 - 10:11 pm
i am totally astounded at the

i am totally astounded at the people of the left who claim that the right is standing in the way of progress. Wasnt it these same people who calling for the hide of former President Bush? As of today, I see very few things that President Obama has done or has orchestrated that he can stand proud about. I do see many things that he should be held accountable for, many of which are so close to what the left screamed for President Bush's hide that there is little difference. I do not condone this kind of politics but I WAS willing to give the new President a chance. After almost a year on his watch, I'm still waiting.

KSL
KSL 09/13/09 - 10:58 pm
RCR, you say I'm a racist

RCR, you say I'm a racist because I called 0 the first black president. But a number of posters have called some of us racists because we can't abide, as they stated, the first black president. You and your buddies cannot have it both ways. You and your buddies are definitely being racist claiming that certain white people are against any black president. You disappoint me greatly.

sugar babe 74
sugar babe 74 09/13/09 - 11:15 pm
mercy , bicker bicker dont

mercy , bicker bicker dont look like anyone is winning on any points

KSL
KSL 09/13/09 - 11:17 pm
ACORN needs to pay back the

ACORN needs to pay back the stimulus money NOW.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 09/13/09 - 11:35 pm
In a 2008 survey of

In a 2008 survey of physicians, the Massachusetts Medical Society found the average wait time to see an adult primary care doctor was 50 days, with some doctors reporting wait times for new patients of up to 100 days. That's compared to 2005, before the law was signed, when the average wait was 47 days and the longest was 87 days. Mass. goverment health care at work..........

mefirst
mefirst 09/14/09 - 02:17 am
When he talks he's

When he talks he's wrong....when he doesn't talk, he's wrong....Way to go TTT

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/14/09 - 04:42 am
Well...RCR and others were

Well...RCR and others were asked numerous times to point out ONE thing that one of us posted that is racist....the closest they got was when RCR pointed out that KSL mentioned the Black President, which is simply a fact.....a fact that he, himself has pointed out on numerous occasions. I for one am tired of being called a racist, when I have done nothing that is racist, which is evident by NO ONE being able to say what I have done that is racist. Good grief.

disssman
disssman 09/14/09 - 09:13 am
How many "former" drug

How many "former" drug addicts does it take to educate a CONservative? I say former because I have never known of a drug addict that really stayed off the powder.

eeyore.the.donkey
eeyore.the.donkey 09/14/09 - 05:07 pm
Ya'll are stupid. Especially

Ya'll are stupid. Especially Tigger; which of whom I believed left the forum due to "Sophomoric" instances. What's up with your return?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/14/09 - 06:41 pm
Dissman....you mean a

Dissman....you mean a "former" drug addict like President Obama?

dani
dani 09/14/09 - 06:48 pm
Tigger,, Amen, he has

Tigger,, Amen, he has educated us alright. BTW - Those on welfare and medicaid feel better if they can look down on those drawing legitimate, paid for by recipient, social security and Medicare. It has always been that way. Has to do with raising.

Paine president resigns

George C. Bradley resigned as president of the embattled Paine College on Tuesday as the institution continues efforts to maintain its accreditation after several years of financial mismanagement ...