Weinberger coverage was excessive

I would like to strongly voice my opinion of the headline stories present since Sept. 5, in your paper, regarding Augusta businessman Jay Weinberger's death.

I am positive that each member of your staff also is a member of a family. I wish that each of them would ask themselves the question: How would the details of this story affect my children, wife, husband, mother, father, sister, brother, nieces, nephews, etc.? I understand that your business is to report the news. However, every last detail is not necessary and furthermore, is not necessary to repeat every single day and even twice on the front page of the Metro section Sept. 9!

Please, for the sake of the children, please stop repeating the horrible details of their father's death. I am quite sure everyone in Augusta now knows, thanks to your paper, the who, what, when, where, why and how details of this tragedy.

Please, let the Weinbergers deal with this without your paper making the situation worse!

Virginia Mattlage

Martinez

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/11/09 - 12:36 am
This was a news story that

This was a news story that involved a criminal matter.. are you saying that the paper shouldn't report it? Unbelievable! The news reposrts incidents of criminal activities involving in deaths everyday..are they supposed to stop doing that too. Sorry for your loss, but this was news and should have been reported.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/11/09 - 01:20 am
All situations such as this

All situations such as this are bad for all families but as the family even said, he was a local celebrity and with that comes more press, like it or not. People want to know what is going on and the press will cover it to the best of their ability and to sell papers. If anything, the chronicle has been very conservative in this story and ensured comments were blocked until after the funeral allowing the family time to gieve. The entire situation is bizzare and sad for anyone who knew him and especially for his family but is certainly is worthy of the coverage it received.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 09/11/09 - 01:39 am
We hate that Jay died,

We hate that Jay died, especially the way he died. Why isn't that news? Isn't Jay responsible for the stories? Many fathers die, Virginia, but not many are in the headlines.

peace4784
peace4784 09/11/09 - 04:20 am
Who appointed the letter

Who appointed the letter writer spokeperson for the family. Life and death are a fact of reality. Presdent Theodore Roosevelt said, " No man is above the law and no man is below the law ". Likewise, no death is above public opinion and no death is below public opinion.

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/11/09 - 04:39 am
While I agree that Mr.

While I agree that Mr. Weinberger's death was sad, it was an unnecessary death, committed to keep from having to pay for his crimes. His crimes are newsworthy. And the people deserve some answers about his crimes. Also, remember, just as Mr. Weinberger's death was sad for his family members, there are many other people, criminals like Mr. Weinberger, who are killed by the police or in the act of committing a crime who also have families. No one screams when their deaths are reported in the paper for everyone to read. Their families hurt, too.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 09/11/09 - 04:52 am
Virginia, You are right -

Virginia, You are right - just about every day in Augusta some prominent business man steals a trailer, runs from the police, and then shoots himself. It's old news! Why run the same old story time and time again!

justus4
justus4 09/11/09 - 05:27 am
Why not two publications, one

Why not two publications, one sensored and the other misinformation. A tradegy consist of many factors and having every lie in the book said about it is nothing new. Why does this family think their family tradegy is different? What posotions do they hold that affords them that privilege? Have they ever considered other families while reading half truths? This is an example of arrogance and demonstrates a seperate and unequal approach toward reporting which everyone can see. The facts remain unclear.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/11/09 - 05:33 am
Congrats JUSTUS, you actually

Congrats JUSTUS, you actually posted without ranting about the "non-minority media." You'll be voting Republican next.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 09/11/09 - 06:31 am
Your LTE is only adding more

Your LTE is only adding more coverage. If you want people to stop talking, then you have to be the first one.

triscuit
triscuit 09/11/09 - 06:37 am
The Chronicle has the duty to

The Chronicle has the duty to report crime no matter who is involved...poor people or people who spend lots of dollars advertising. What about the family of the poor woman in Columbia County who was beaten with a hammer by her neighbor? What about the Tankersley murder/suicide? What about ANY murder or violent crime? Every violent crime has family that are not involved but suffer the same or worse than the victims. Are the families of those victims less deserving of privacy than the Weinbergers? This whole story has been kept out of the paper and radio more than it would have been. I am truly sorry that the wife and chldren now have to face life without Jay...I can't imagine myself in their position. But the man stole from other people that worked hard to get their trailers. I personally think this goes a lot further than trailers. Who was he selling them too...?

shockproof
shockproof 09/11/09 - 06:48 am
These blogs are excessive.

These blogs are excessive. People talk (write) too much.

reesiecup
reesiecup 09/11/09 - 07:04 am
Virginia, I agree. The

Virginia, I agree. The reporting was excessive, just as it has been in many other tragic cases. I realize it is news but it has to stop somewhere. This should serve as an example and possibly keep another family from experiencing the negativity during such a difficult times in their lives.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/11/09 - 07:13 am
resiecup - if you stop

resiecup - if you stop reporting the news to keep a family from "experiencing the negativity" then there will be no news. News only happens because of people's actions so every crime reported in the paper would have that effect on someone's family.Take today for instance with the breaking news of "Suspect sought in fatal shooting". There are TWO families involved, that of the victim and that of the suspect whoever that may end up being.

shivas
shivas 09/11/09 - 07:24 am
I'm more interested in Mark

I'm more interested in Mark Sanford's love life.

happythoughts
happythoughts 09/11/09 - 08:35 am
If AC operated to all of your

If AC operated to all of your whims then they might go out of business. This criminal who shoots hisself so he doesn't have to face the consequences has caused embarassment for his whole family and it is something that they will have to go through. News sells because people want to know the truth and likely learn from it. Go do something productive.

Chris 232
Chris 232 09/11/09 - 09:30 am
Move along folks, there's

Move along folks, there's nothing more to see here; just keep moving. Go back to whatever it was you were doing . . .

What an amazing cover-up! Somebody needs to call the GBI and get these redneck good'ol boys off the case. I think the AC is more concerned about its advertising dollars from the Weinbergers than it is for their sensitivities. I still can believe that "Roscoe P. Coltrane" sheriff saying that the case should be wrapped up in a couple of weeks. Give me a break!

deekster
deekster 09/11/09 - 09:35 am
It is sad when anyone dies.

It is sad when anyone dies. He may have thought he would spare his family shame. Is suicide honorable or moral? His dilusion went beyond criminal activities, the scope of which we will not be told. It was also sad that the "family reply" offered more "concern" about continues loyal business customers.

MyTake
MyTake 09/11/09 - 10:30 am
I am afraid the letter writer

I am afraid the letter writer is going to have to put up with the public interest in such a lurid and unexpected event. I for one want to know even more, and all we have so far are sketchy reports from the two Sheriffs.

SPIDEYPOW
SPIDEYPOW 09/11/09 - 10:41 am
i agree with ms mattlage.

i agree with ms mattlage. my brother's children were harmed so much a few years ago by the augusta chronicle. most of their reporting was proven to be false but that never made the paper. their reporters very seldom write an article with proper grammar much less the facts of what really happened.

mad_max
mad_max 09/11/09 - 11:22 am
The Weinberger story and it's

The Weinberger story and it's continuing replays are just as valid as any other crime story, maybe even more so. I think that simple curiosity will keep this story alive until someone offers a valid explanation of why a relatively well off businessman such as Mr. Weinberger would suddenly develop a fetish for stealing these fairly inexpensive trailers. It is always troubling that the family suffers in an incident like this but that happens to the families of the rich and the poor. None are exempt. This story is more bizzare than most because no one understands WHY and many believe that someone else, maybe someone at the business, had to know something. The story continues, and rightfully so, unless the AC thinks it will lose advertising revenue.

6Actual
6Actual 09/11/09 - 12:39 pm
Shivas, the Luvguv's love

Shivas, the Luvguv's love life is probably a very lonely and solitary pursuit.

For just cause
For just cause 09/11/09 - 01:15 pm
I won't be shopping at

I won't be shopping at Weinbergers any longer.

jack
jack 09/11/09 - 01:56 pm
This was a news story that

Posted by HillGuy on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:36 AM....Two or three days in a row is excessive "reporting". Why not wait until the details are fully known and run ONE article on it?

jack
jack 09/11/09 - 02:00 pm
I'm more interested in Mark

I'm more interested in Mark Sanford's love life.
Posted by shivas on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 AM....Yeah, Shivass, pay attention and you might learn a few things.

soldout
soldout 09/11/09 - 07:30 pm
As sin is exposed it should

As sin is exposed it should cause all of us to examine our own lives and clean them up so we can sleep good at night. Be sure your sins will find you out is a truth we can't get around. Also sowing and reaping is a law that hasn't been appealed no matter how much we would like for that not to be the case.

april09
april09 09/11/09 - 09:30 pm
I dont see anything wrong

I dont see anything wrong with what was put in the paper. It's news and we should have a right to know about it.Just because he was known as a popular businessman doesnt exclude him from the rest of us He's no differnt! He commited the crimes and therefore it should be reported.And i dont think that he acted alone they need to continue the investgation.hell the whole family was probaly involved and yet nothing will be done.And now his children and family are left to deal with the embarrasment of what he did.

GladToBeGone
GladToBeGone 09/11/09 - 09:51 pm
deekster, I felt the same way

deekster, I felt the same way about the family statement! It was very sad that they did not say one positive thing about their own dead family member from the way I read it. I could have read it wrong or misread it and just missed that...... I mean, of course they had the right to speak whatever they wanted but I sure as heck would have been more focused on the dead person and what good he had been rather than on what seemed to me an attempt to distance themselves and the business from him. If he was a good person, which I am sure he had good qualities, then I would have thought they might have said more things about him as a person....... I read it as more of a thank you for OTHERS saying good things about him. You cannot steal and then get rid of trailers by yourself I would not think. I wish someone who may know about this and have close personal knowledge would make even an anonymous call to law enforcement.

GladToBeGone
GladToBeGone 09/11/09 - 11:14 pm
You cannot choose to be in

You cannot choose to be in the limelight when things are good and then hope to fall below the radar when things are not so good. People like recognition sometimes but think that when maybe the light shines too bright that they should be shielded. I hope that money does not shade the light if necessary.

Newsreader
Newsreader 09/11/09 - 11:14 pm
While I have been critized

While I have been critized for my opinion of the family's statement, I will post again. Condolences to the family. Sorry that your member has lost his life. I pray that the family find comfort, only God will heal this wound. I wish that you had offered some words to the victims of the thefts. I wish that you had not chosen to defend the business, but maybe offered remberences of Jay's good deeds and love. However, I will not apologize for wanting to know the truth of this matter. I will not apologize for demanding more from the family and law enforcement. I will not apologize for my opinion that the family business will suffer unless the truth is told. I will, however, apologize if anyone thinks I am accusing the family of being involved in the thefts. I do not think Jay acted alone, but I do not suppect anyone as his accomplice.

sdfsdf
sdfsdf 09/12/09 - 09:48 am
Did you write a letter to the

Did you write a letter to the editor when Michael Jackson died? -- That crap was excessive. And what did you expect when the case is on-going? Would you have preferred one story in the beginning, followed by no development, and then one story in the end after Rosco P Coltrane wraps it all up in two weeks? Have you any other whims to discuss, such as maybe the large font size was excessive, or maybe it should not have been in bold, or maybe the word count per article was too high? The AC even took an unprecedented step of banning all comments for the article on the day of burial. Where's your letter to the editor asking them to do the same for the other families grieving for their loved ones who didn't get that same luxury?

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...