Rape, kidnapping suspect was paroled in December

An IHOP employee accused of raping, kidnapping and threatening to kill an Augusta woman Sunday was on parole and had recently been released after 14 years in prison.

Cuyler  Special
Special
Cuyler

According to the Georgia Department of Corrections Web site, Willie Lee Cuyler, 41, was convicted in Burke County in 1994 of aggravated assault. He was released in December.

Authorities now believe that a homicide might have been averted when the 30-year-old victim -- nude except for a bloody sheet and comforter wrapped around her body -- leaped from the suspect's gold Cheverolet Impala at the intersection of Peach Orchard and Windsor Spring roads.

"All indications were that he was going to kill her," sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said.

The incident, according to a sheriff's report, happened like this:

The victim told police that she was walking on Ninth Street at about 5:50 a.m. when a man asked if she would like a ride home. Once inside the car, he wouldn't let her leave and drove her to where he lived at 2107 Reedale Ave.

After forcing the woman to have sex with him, the man began strangling her with a wire hanger, telling the victim: "I am going to kill you: you're going to die." The victim struggled free, and the attacker tried to smother her with a pillow. He left the room after she fought him off and returned with a broken wooden plunger handle and began beating her on her back. He bound the woman's hands, possibly with a telephone cord, then wrapped her in a green sheet and comforter covered with her blood.

He then "placed her in the back seat of his vehicle and told her he was going to throw her in the river." But she was able to get free and jump from the moving car. A witness helped her out of the road.

Maj. Autry said his department is searching for Mr. Cuyler and is checking to see if he might be tied to other crimes in the area.

Investigators later determined that Mr. Cuyler was a manager at the IHOP restaurant at 3125 Peach Orchard Road, and the incident occurred at a home that is rented to the restaurant's employees, the report said.

He is described as black, 5 feet 8 inches tall and 152 pounds. He was driving a late-model, gold Chevrolet Impala. Anyone with information can call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3338 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/09/09 - 03:45 am
ok, gotta ask, is there any

ok, gotta ask, is there any screening process at all to become a manager at ihop? is a criminal background a requirement or just preferred?

opiner
opiner 09/09/09 - 05:42 am
If this attack was on a

If this attack was on a stranger, it won't be the last.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/09/09 - 05:48 am
Ok you only have to pass the

Ok you only have to pass the Aunt Jemima test!

andywarhol
andywarhol 09/09/09 - 05:49 am
No wonder service in this

No wonder service in this area sucks! He was a manager at IHOP? I think I'll be writing IHOP a letter today to ask them if this is their standard. They hire guys fresh from a 14 year stint in the pen?

harrisjr
harrisjr 09/09/09 - 06:20 am
A brave soul to be out

A brave soul to be out walking the streets at 5:50 A.M.

acdailyreader
acdailyreader 09/09/09 - 06:46 am
I think it is great that IHOP

I think it is great that IHOP gives people a second chance. It's not IHOP's fault that they do not take full advantage of it. Nor can IHOP control what their employees do outside of work. I eat there every week and will continue to do so.

AAQueen
AAQueen 09/09/09 - 08:22 am
Released in December and

Released in December and manager in September. And OK coldbeer, I'll bite. What is the Aunt Jemima test?

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 09/09/09 - 08:53 am
It's obvious that prison does

It's obvious that prison does not rehabilitate. Obviously IHOP doesn't do background checks.

jusanote
jusanote 09/09/09 - 09:38 am
This man is obviously

This man is obviously unstable and dangerous. Also, I'm not saying that this lady deserved what she got but she needed to do a little thinking as well. It doesn't appear that she knew this man, so why did she get in the car with a stranger in the first place? We live in dangerous times and some caution and common sense should be applied to these types of situations. She is very lucky to be alive and hopefully she has learned something because although I'm sure being raped is a terrible experience, being murdered is worse!

coolette
coolette 09/09/09 - 11:44 am
How di he get the job at

How di he get the job at ihop?

na_bboy
na_bboy 09/09/09 - 01:02 pm
Quit tripping, its just Ihop

Quit tripping, its just Ihop no degrees needed to run that restaurant, and its not there fault he's a disturbed individual. Most of us work with people who where mask on the clock, and become someone else away from the job and behind the closed doors of their home. As violent and as outrageous as some of the comments are on this site, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a couple of Jeffrey Dahmers and Adolph Hitler types blogging here!! Now, lets be real, walking anywhere at 5 in the morning, you gotta be looking for trouble.

anon y miss
anon y miss 09/09/09 - 01:30 pm
take it from someone who knew

take it from someone who knew Willie.... no one saw this comin. everyone is shocked that he flipped like that... but this article is making people look at ihop in a different manor.. the choices he made have absolutely nothing to do with IHOP, and all the references to IHOP... I feel should have been left out of the article.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 09/09/09 - 02:31 pm
I'd say this guy's just as

I'd say this guy's just as good at killing as he is at resturant managing. I ate there Monday, and the service was pitiful.

kibone66
kibone66 09/09/09 - 04:53 pm
Some of you people are so

Some of you people are so stupid sounding ! " you dont have to even have a degree to work at IHOP.... AND??? So if he did, it would've justified the crime ? Who the hell cares where he worked. He raped someone, get a grip you fool !

honeyandcrys
honeyandcrys 09/09/09 - 06:42 pm
I think that a persons crime

I think that a persons crime has NOTHING to do with where they work UNLESS the situation was work -related. I happen to know a little about this individual and I KNOW that he was professional, and quite the gentleman while conducting business at IHOP. I cannot believe that this event happened and I am not His judge!! Apparently, there is ALOT more to this story than meets the eye. I think it was a hooker/lonely man deal gone bad. Perhaps she tried to rob him. Noone really knows, but I believe that I can honestly say that this is NOT in His normal everyday character. I pray that the truth will come out. You have to remember that there are 3 sides to EVERY story. Afterall, if you were a woman of virtue, then WHY WOULD YOU WALK AFTER 5 A.M? I cannot believe the police exploited this without weighing the evidence. I think He's running because He is scared of going back. It was just a great story to take up space in the paper. Somebody gotta do it.

honeyandcrys
honeyandcrys 09/09/09 - 06:53 pm
I also know Willie C. and he

I also know Willie C. and he is a great person. I think people are so quick to pass judgement and go off what is reported in these kind of articles. Many people who know Mr. Willie love him and support him. Now, I don't know if this is true or not so I won't say this female is lying and I don't think just because she was out there at that time in the morning or that she got into a strangers car (if he was that) that she deserved this. But she subjected herself to the kind of crime that is around today. And the fact that he worked at IHOP as a manager is soooooo irrelavent. At least he had a job!!!! He deserves fairness and justice will hopefully be served in this matter. I just find it hard to believe, not that it can't be true, that after spending 14 years in prison that this man would pick a girl at random, take her to HIS house, rape her, and then let her get away. Not the Mr. Willie I know!!!! And YEAH I said MR.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 09/10/09 - 12:58 pm
I'm sure there are lots of

I'm sure there are lots of "great professional gentlemen" serving prison time for violent offenses.

Health care cost worries lock out substitutes

A decision on limiting hours of part-time Richmond County school employees to offset anticipated health care costs has been rescinded, but the mistake caused confusion and cost some substitute ...