Obama speech isn't indoctrination

Your editorial "Leave our kids alone" was beyond rational belief. You have the audacity to suggest that our president of the United States, elected by a large majority of Americans, by talking to schoolchildren, is doing what "smacks of indoctrination." Indoctrination of what?

The fact that he is offering our children a chance to hear and talk to our president "smacks of indoctrination right out of the socialist's handbook"? What a very frightening opinion. What makes this different than President George W. Bush being seen on television sitting with schoolchildren in school when he learns of the 9-11 airplane crashes? Or his father pictured talking to schoolchildren -- or Ronald Reagan doing the same?

How do you have the right to accuse our president of doing what is so truly American, and such a privilege for our children, of indoctrination? Where is the American pride in our system of government and our duly elected president and the balance of power guaranteed by our Constitution?

What is so frightening to me is your arrogant attempt at indoctrination of your readers with such vicious opinions of our sitting president. Your editorial smacks of a vicious attempt at provoking mass hysteria in your readers. God help us all with un-American bigots such as your editorial writers and you for publishing such a shameful illustration of blatant, false beliefs.

If our democracy is in jeopardy, it is not from our president but from attempts at vilifying him in editorials such as yours.

Alan Roberts

Augusta

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 09/09/09 - 04:23 am
Did anyone listen to this

Did anyone listen to this speech?

55 F-100
55 F-100 09/09/09 - 04:48 am
Prezbhojangles' credibility

Prezbhojangles' credibility is reflected in his choice of czars, i.e., their leanings towards Marxism, Communism, Socialism, and Muslim beliefs. Barack Hussein Obama's policies thus far has been nothing short of a slick talking snake-oil salesman, and the goals are to guide this nation into socialism, and the American people waking up and standing up against his ideals.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 05:06 am
I say let Odumba reach out to

I say let Odumba reach out to the kids. With his approval ratings sinking lower and lower each day, he needs somebody to support him.

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/09/09 - 05:39 am
Once again, the conservative

Once again, the conservative posts are full of name-calling and bad English. The President did say to study hard in school, did he not? Did you follow his advice when you were in school?

opiner
opiner 09/09/09 - 06:18 am
Uninformed retarded army, the

Uninformed retarded army, the congress held hearings to prosecute Bush Sr when he gave his speech. Uninformed Rhetor, when the president's intention to speak to our children was announced, a brain washing study plan was released as a "suggestion" to how government teachers would handle the speech. After Americans objected to the approach, the "suggestion" was removed and the speech was changed. The innocuous (look it up) speech given by Obama (almost exactly the same as Bush Sr) was not what was objected to. CNN or NPR has lied to you again.

teharper428
teharper428 09/09/09 - 07:02 am
Quite the "brainwashing," for

Quite the "brainwashing," for teachers of K-6, read books about past presidents and Pres. Obama. And for 7-12, have students write their goals. The speech was changed? In reading the Dept of Education site before the "outrage" it broadly outlined Pres. Obama's speech and it was exactly as presented.

getalife
getalife 09/09/09 - 07:13 am
Much of the planned Obama

Much of the planned Obama speech was changed in the last days before the speech. The original speech plan suggested that the students read books about Obama and learn about his life and suggest ways to help him. It should scare all Americans that in those books Obama wrote that Rev. Wright and Frank Marshall Davis were two of his mentors. I would not want my children or grandchildren reading them.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/09/09 - 07:18 am
RA, you don't read much do

RA, you don't read much do you?

teharper428
teharper428 09/09/09 - 07:31 am
getalife, get real, the Dept.

getalife, get real, the Dept. of Education guide would be suggesting age appropriate books about past presidents and President Obama. It was in no way suggesting Pres. Obama's bestselling books about his life. Your hysteria is showing. By the way, if you have children old enough to have given you grandchildren, I don't think you have much control over what they read.

mommie2
mommie2 09/09/09 - 08:12 am
Getalife...was that in a

Getalife...was that in a forwarded email? OR was it talk radio? any corraborating evidence???

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 09/09/09 - 09:01 am
It's amazing that no one

It's amazing that no one seems to have a problem with drug using, womanizing pro athletes talking to their kids, they don't have a problem with the military coming to the schools indoctrinate and recruit, they don't have a problem with the music their kids listen to... Commentors like F-100, southernguy, and opinor are merely echo chambers for what they have heard from extreme rightwing bloggers. Not enough intelligence between them all to speak or think for themselves but just enough intelligence to make up silly little names for the president and to think themselves so clever for doing so.

getalife
getalife 09/09/09 - 09:03 am
Mommie2, I don't believe any

Mommie2, I don't believe any of the email being passed around and I don't listen to talk radio. This was on TV news, saw it several times. Obama even had material that was to be passed out to the kids, with a basic outline of what the teachers should do. This was all withdrawn after so much public criticism. I realize I don't have much control over what my grandchildren read, but I don't want anyone trying to indoctrinate them. Too many communist and radical influences on Obama's life??

teharper428
teharper428 09/09/09 - 09:13 am
3 guesses and the first two

3 guesses and the first two don't count....you heard it on Faux news.

mad_max
mad_max 09/09/09 - 09:24 am
Hey, we gave him a shot. We

Hey, we gave him a shot. We ignored all of his radical background and radical friends and we all said "let's give the black guy a chance". We have now seen his policies, his direction, and his choice of czars. Now we don't like him, we dont trust him, we don't like his policies, and we don't trust his judgement, particularly in who he hires. Along with no longer trusting him, we were very suspicious of his motives for speaking to the school kids, espicially after examining the FIRST "lesson plan" his staff developed. Sure, the speach turned out okay and the "revised" lesson plan was better. But the fact is, that after seeing him in action for 9 months, WE DO NOT TRUST HIM and are now suspicious of everything he says or does......like pandering to the unions and still being determined to have a government takeover of healthcare. We don't like him, we don't trust him, and the sooner he and his cronies go away the better.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 09:25 am
3M3T1B, you don't read well,

3M3T1B, you don't read well, do you? If you had read my 6:06 post, you'd have seen that I defended Odumba's speech to the kids at school. If you can't read, please get someone to read for you. As for echo chambers, you seem to be one for the mindless liberal army that has JUSTUS, NIKO, TEHARPER, and RETIREDARMY as their mouthpieces.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/09/09 - 09:46 am
The speech was radically

The speech was radically changed because of the uproar...keep it up folks we stopped him again....never give up the fight.. as long as we keep the pressure on he will not be able to put his socialist agenda in action.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/09/09 - 09:47 am
I can't wait for the next

I can't wait for the next republican/conservative talking point LOL... What will Drugbaugh, KKKanity, Beck and company spew next, the very minute they say something EVERY conservative is going to start with it LOL... OMG Nutcases.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/09/09 - 09:53 am
fruity..fruity..fruity.....is

fruity..fruity..fruity.....is it getting lonely in the trenches?

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 09/09/09 - 10:10 am
Southernguy - you defended

Southernguy - you defended nothing. Your "defense" was simply a segue to your comment on falling poll numbers.

damemarystuart - the speech itself was not changed from the original. pay attention.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 09/09/09 - 10:18 am
Has anyone been able to see a

Has anyone been able to see a film of the speech of prezbho? I heard questions were asked after the speech and one question was obviously a set-up. I haven't been able to verify this so won't post the question and response.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 10:47 am
Gee 3M, did I strike a nerve

Gee 3M, did I strike a nerve there? Odumba's latest approval ratings, Rasmussen 47%, Zogby 42%. His performance is causing this, not my posts. Sorry the truth offends you so.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/09/09 - 11:01 am
Lord these angry white people

Lord these angry white people LOL... help em.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/09/09 - 11:16 am
They need to do a poll and

They need to do a poll and ask these questions: 1. Before President Obama was selected as the Democratic presidential Nominee and sworn in, were you angry at the shape the US was in? Second question: Are you a recent fearmonger or just become one since Obama's been in office? Third question: Would you prefer a white president instead of Obama? I guarantee you that poll would be at 99.9% question 1: No I wasn't, question 2. Yes, 3. question I would prefer a white persident LOL... OMG

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 09/09/09 - 11:21 am
southernguy - so you concur

southernguy - so you concur that your "defense" was in fact simply a segue to your comment on falling polls number? And that's fine, but to concede to allow an action to occur after the fact is a little gutless, wouldn't you agree? I am not offended by the poll results however, I do find an educated person, which I will assume you are, attempting to be witty and cute by using terms such as "Odumba" to be quite sophomoric.

corgimom
corgimom 09/09/09 - 12:02 pm
It is inconceivable to me

It is inconceivable to me that anyone would have problems with his speech- stay in school, your education is your responsibility, you aren't going to drop out of school and drop into a good job, you probably won't be a rapper, basketball player, or reality TV star. It was a great speech, and yes, I watched it.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 12:38 pm
3M, pull your head out of

3M, pull your head out of your butt. I did defend Odumba's right to speak to the kids. Maybe you didn't like my reason for defending it, but I couldn't give a dead rat's [filtered word] about that. And look at the posts describing former president Bush as "duh...bya" before you condemn my name for your man. Odumba is the nicest thing I can call him. At least it excuses his incompetence.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 12:48 pm
Hey JACKFRUIT, I like your

Hey JACKFRUIT, I like your reasoning at 12:16. Okay, I'll play. Here's a poll they need to ask. 1. Before Obama became president, doubled our national debt, apologized to the world for American "arrogance," bowed to foreign kings, and tried to force this healthcare bill down our throats that he hasn't even read, were you okay with him? 2. Are you a recent opponent to O's policies or did you just become one when you saw what was happening to America? 3. Would you prefer a president that acts responsibly, not believing the government can take care of all your needs? According to the most recent polls, here are the answers. 1. Yes! 2. Yes! 3. Hell Yes!!

concernednative
concernednative 09/09/09 - 12:57 pm
jackfruit 12:16 post is sad

jackfruit 12:16 post is sad but so true.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/09/09 - 01:10 pm
lol....................

lol....................

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 09/09/09 - 01:17 pm
Southernguy08 - Actually, if

Southernguy08 - Actually, if I had my head up my butt it might be easier to see things your way. As to your dead rat - your increasingly aggressive responses show you care enough to become even more immature in your comments. I don't recall ever posting a comment referring to former president Bush as "duh..bya" or anything else derogatory, but I will say that those that did are as childish as you in their attempts at amusing insults.