Don't cave in to hysterical rhetoric

I have considered writing to the editor on numerous occasions but have either calmed down or been too lazy to follow through. The rhetoric of the past few days has overcome that inertia.

I am saddened and embarrassed that parents would object to the president of the United States speaking to their children about the importance of education. Who suggested that he would speak about health-care reform?

It is time to stop shouting and for people of differing opinions to talk to each other so that we can learn how to resolve problems. The economy has cast a pall of fear, but we must not succumb to partisan hysteria fueled by malicious Internet postings. As adults, we must be leaders, not stampeders.

Janice Nelson

Martinez

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 05:08 am
That's funny, Janice. When

That's funny, Janice. When Bush was in office, there was more venom thrown at him due to "partisan hysteria," and not a word from libs like you. I guess the rules changed with administrations.

dashiel
dashiel 09/09/09 - 05:33 am
I happened to catch part of

I happened to catch part of the Anthony Esposito Show (1230 AM) yesterday because a Republican in the cab of the same truck insisted. "Now here's a real speech," he said insisting that I listen to Ronald Reagan's speech to schoolchildren. It was a good speech, a little like a commencement address, but no great shakes. When Mr. Eposito finished reading it, he confessed that it was not a speech by President Reagan but the very speech President Obama delivered to school children yesterday. I forgave the trickery, especially as it came as a surprise and provoked laughter all around. I agree with Ms. Nelson's letter. It's a shame that it takes an "April Fool's" joke to trick us into listening to one another, but hey, it let in some light and laughter--and that's a refreshing change.

opiner
opiner 09/09/09 - 06:25 am
The speech given by Obama was

The speech given by Obama was almost identical to the one given by Bush Sr. I wonder what the one he INTENDED to give sounded like. I'm glad Americans objected before he could embarrass himself again. I wonder if the Dem congress will hold hearings on the speech by a black president like they did on the one by the white president.

Steve Wylie
Steve Wylie 09/09/09 - 06:57 am
I think that having seen how

I think that having seen how hysterical people can become with the amplification of the internet and the misinformation it can promote, we should all take notice. Bush II was the first president of the social networking era of the information age, and he will never get his chance back. However, seeing this absurd public behavior spill over into the next presidency, we should all be able to realize that the extremism promoted by too much communication has to be dealt with. Two wrongs do not make a right, and Americans should become responsible not just for the truthiness of the information they put out, but the truthiness of the information they allow themselves to believe.

HotFoot
HotFoot 09/09/09 - 07:55 am
Forgive me if I am in error,

Forgive me if I am in error, but I believe you are misusing Stephen Colbert's word "truthiness", Mr. Wylie. You'd be better served by "truth" (we'd ALL be better served by truth)...

Steve Wylie
Steve Wylie 09/09/09 - 08:28 am
I agree we would be better

I agree we would be better served by the truth, hotfoot, but sadly all the media wish to provide is truthiness. So we have to be a little extra shrewd these days.

belle
belle 09/09/09 - 09:00 am
I don't see what the problem

I don't see what the problem is with parents reviewing the speech BEFORE their children listen to it. If it were anyone else they would have the right to request that. I also don't recall ever sitting down in class to listen to the president give a speech. Nor does my 20 something child. So, of course this was somewhat unnerving. It was "outside of the box" and, after reviewing the speech, it was actually quite nice.

mad_max
mad_max 09/09/09 - 09:38 am
It is very natural for the

It is very natural for the half of the country who no longer trusts Obama to be reluctant to let this Communist address their children. Yes, the speech was pretty harmless, but the broo-hah-hah shows that many do not like his policies and distrust his motives. For some reason, no one was ever afraid that Reagan or Bush was going to tell the kids to go home and tell your parents you want tax cuts....but a lot of pepole thought Obama might tell the kids to go home and tell your parents you want healthcare reform. We no longer trust Obama, his policies, or his motives. Sorry, but he has lost the trust of half of the country.

justright
justright 09/09/09 - 10:13 am
He would be more trusted if

He would be more trusted if he had a track record of telling the truth. Trust must be earned. Thus far in his presidency he has a poor track record of honesty. The people with whom he associates is also cause for distrust. Surrounding oneselft with anti-americans associates, and then asking for the complete trust of americans is absurd. If he wants to speak to my child, let him do it like the previous presidents (during my primetime line-up), so I'll be there to ferret out his propoganda. Even if there was none in this particular speech, there HAS been enough in his earlier speeches to warrant distrust.

misterme
misterme 09/09/09 - 10:27 am
Ronlad Regan's speech was

Ronlad Regan's speech was laced with a lot of his ideas on TAXES, where was the outcry aftewards?? For all of you haters, look into the mirror when you talk about socialists/communists. Spewing hate because a person does not have a like mind as you, wanting to censure them is communistic; medicare/medicade, state supported/controlled schools (to include colleges) has a socialistic tint to me.......

corgimom
corgimom 09/09/09 - 01:11 pm
How many of you require your

How many of you require your childrens' teachers to submit all their remarks to you before they say them? People in this country are going absolutely crazy. It's absurd.

cara1985
cara1985 09/09/09 - 01:18 pm
i think the most important

i think the most important part of this LTE is the part where she says she was too lazy to do something.... very typical

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 02:52 pm
CARA, that pretty well

CARA, that pretty well describes the bulk of those who want government run healthcare.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/09/09 - 05:00 pm
"He's being voted on today,

"He's being voted on today, call your Senators to vote NO NO NO. He is another dangerous wacko for this administration. 202 224-3121 Capitol Switchboard. If you can't get through look up your Senator's number on their website. A lot of the Senators do not know he's being voted on today, so please please please call."......refering to cass sustain..barrys regulatory czar a true idiot this is more important than bobo's speech tonight folks mark my words on this .

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/09/09 - 08:22 pm
OK..watched that fool stand

OK..watched that fool stand up and lie straight in the face of the American people...wake up sheeple!! The painted sow pelosi bouncing like a jack in the box behind him..it was scary! NO GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE !!!!!!!!!!!!

dashiel
dashiel 09/09/09 - 08:59 pm
What's your problem,

What's your problem, damemary? Your plan don't cover Xanax? Or is ugly a pre-existing condition?

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...