Anonymous comments were vile

After reading the story of the events surrounding the death of Augusta businessman Jay Weinberger, I felt compelled to write this letter to the editor. This is not about Mr. Weinberger, but I do want to express my condolences to his family.

This is about all of the anonymous comments that followed the news article on The Augusta Chronicle's Web site. I find it despicable that a segment of the public can make vicious and small-minded, slanderous anonymous comments about a situation they know very little about. This is a cowardly act that should not be encouraged or tolerated by The Augusta Chronicle .

My name will be affixed to this letter, and I'm sure the same cowards who post under false names will give me a hard time. If you disagree and sign your real name, I will respect your opinion. But, otherwise, go pack sand and try to find a constructive life.

David L. Duvall

Martinez

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 09/09/09 - 04:08 am
Note: Comments are not edited

Note: Comments are not edited and don't represent the views of The Augusta Chronicle. Please read our full comments policy.

r we judging
r we judging 09/09/09 - 04:32 am
Well this upsets me as well

Well this upsets me as well but what makes me even more angry is that these people posted the same comments about the deceased young man that was killed in Cherry Tree crossing while "alledgely" doing illegal activity just as Mr Weinberger did alledgely. These posts are always on here when people die. I agree with you they are wrong as his family did. Just funny how its a big deal when it happens to certain people. Wonder why?????

r we judging
r we judging 09/09/09 - 04:35 am
Well its not alledged anymore

Well its not alledged anymore per the Sherriffs dept. There had been six trailers stolen and since there was a weapon I wonder what would have happened if someone had confronted him while the trailer was being taken. Thats a scary thought. However I still agree that when someone has lost their life the comments are not right. I will pray for the family just as I did when the young man in Cherry Tree crossing was killed. IT SHOULD BE THAT WAY FOR EVERYBODY!!!!

peace4784
peace4784 09/09/09 - 05:40 am
The letter write is a self

The letter write is a self righteous hypocrite. I wonder what diabolical deeds they are doing in darkness. You are not fooling anyone but yourself. You have a dark side as well. That's the way God made all of us. Signing your name to a self righteous letter means nothing. You are still just a mere mortal with deficiencies and are in no position to lecture anyone. Chill out and take care of your own imperfections.

TechLover
TechLover 09/09/09 - 06:00 am
I only read some of the

I only read some of the comments before they were pulled. I listened to Austin yesterday and he said many were anti semitic. That doesn't surprise me since many of these posts border on racism and some are blatant. Personally, I prefer posting under a screen name since quite a few of the posters seem a bit unhinged and some seem that they could be outright dangerous. These posts are an excellent place to hold commentary, unfortunately as is so often the case, a few are going to end up screwing it up for the rest of us.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 06:03 am
PEACE, "diabolical deeds?"

PEACE, "diabolical deeds?" Watching a little too much Batman, eh? But David, I will have to say that freedom of speech is a double edged sword, and people have a right to express venom as well as praise. Enjoy the freedom while you can. It might be "curtailed" by a "Fairness Doctrine" in the future.

nofrills
nofrills 09/09/09 - 06:17 am
You dont have to like what

You dont have to like what others post and yes some are very disturbing. The bottom line here is a business man we did business with who fooled us all and has turned out ot be a crook! yes I said a crook. He may of been a good dad and a good husband but in the end he is a crook. As a customer of his store I feel betrayed! I dont understand why I feel this way but I do. For any of you that want to defend him well thats your right.

opiner
opiner 09/09/09 - 07:04 am
It's best to post anonymously

It's best to post anonymously to stop the black female web masters from blocking you.

CHSDARKHORSE
CHSDARKHORSE 09/09/09 - 07:31 am
Austin; maybe today you will

Austin; maybe today you will take some phone calls on this tragedy instead of trying to tell the paper how to handle it's business!

justus4
justus4 09/09/09 - 07:31 am
As soon as "it" hit home the

As soon as "it" hit home the cowards are everywhere. Ha! If names were posted along with comments, the FIRST thing the all-white media (awm) would do is use their work station equipment and run someones name, then check the national data base, then run a local check, then use whatever info gained to smear the comment writer. How stupid can one individual be? There are people that do nothing else. If violations of privacy & jail time for those in the (awm) who illegally obtain infor was the law, then lets put names. But to sit and say how terrible a comment is, knowing the advantage U have is silly. And besides, unless there is a grain of truth to the comment, Americans are free to say what they want-U don't have to like it.

okletssee
okletssee 09/09/09 - 07:41 am
In the end we all have to be

In the end we all have to be examined-how many of us pass the test perfectly!!! None of us!! Jay was a wonderful man who made a mistake. We have all made mistakes but some of us just don't get caught. Leave this family alone and reflect on your own life! I doubt any of you sit in a position to judge!!!

xanadu
xanadu 09/09/09 - 07:49 am
D'you suppose ole Dave would

D'you suppose ole Dave would have been this indignant and full of self-righteous fury if this story would have involved some poor schmuck from the projects? As Dontressa stated above, the same sort of things were said about the Cherry Tree crossing shooting -- where was Dave then? Did he fume and pout over folks posting anonymous comments in that instance?
Methinks he doth protest too mucheth -- maybe he's related to the family? Or a family friend? Go get a life, dude, and quit worrying about what people think about others or what they write on the stupid internet. Oh, yeah, by the way, AC does post a disclaimer to any comments made by readers, and as far as I know, we still have SOME of our constitutional rights left, like freedom of speech/press (more or less) so come down from that pedestal you put yourself on, Davie.

xanadu
xanadu 09/09/09 - 07:56 am
Oh, and by the way, DAVE, you

Oh, and by the way, DAVE, you wouldn't have gotten your letter in the paper today if you wouldn't have signed your name, address, and phone number, so how does that make you brave and noble, bud?

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/09/09 - 08:11 am
justus4, are you feeling a

justus4, are you feeling a bit paranoid this morning????

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 08:13 am
Congrats JUSTUS, you got your

Congrats JUSTUS, you got your idiotic "all white media" rant in twice in the last post. But, I will agree with your last sentence. Americans are free to state their opinion...for now.

peace4784
peace4784 09/09/09 - 08:49 am
The writer says writers who

The writer says writers who use display names are cowards. If the real names were used so what. He is not going to do anything about the comments anyway. He is just a little man trying to be somebody. He talks like he has never uttered a harsh word in his life. Hey southernguy08 your pastor uses the word diabolical to describe Satan. Does he also watch too much Batman. The bottom line here is that we are all hypocrites. Some are more hypocritical than others. I just have the courage to admit it. I don't hide behind censorship or self righteous rhetoric. Austin Rhodes is a perfect example and represents the Augusta mindset.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/09/09 - 09:31 am
Well David, you were right.

Well David, you were right. Scumbags like Fourpenny dark and peace 4784 attacked you. They are typical of some of the classless people that post on this site on a daily basis. They have no life and spend their time attacking people hidden behind a moniker. They are cowards and are to be pitted.

disssman
disssman 09/09/09 - 09:36 am
I wonder what magical great

I wonder what magical great words Mr. Duval can come up with for an armed felon? A dog can be called anything and a cat can be called anything, but in the end they are just animals. Now again what golden words would be appropriate for an armed thief?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/09/09 - 09:53 am
dissman, let me try to

dissman, let me try to explain it so that you can understand. There are no golden words . This is not about Mr. Weinberger. This is about his wife and two children. They have suffered a mountain of hurt. The classless comments that were made following the first article only heaped more hurt on innocent people. These comments were made before the facts were known and served no purpose but to hurt his family more. Is that what you would want if such a tragedy took place in your family? I think not so try to gain a little compassion if you are capable of it.

dani
dani 09/09/09 - 10:15 am
yeah scooby!

yeah scooby!

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/09/09 - 10:18 am
Gee PEACE, I didn't realize

Gee PEACE, I didn't realize you knew me, or my pastor. Maybe you have your mindreading pants on. You can judge what you don't know all you like. It only makes you look stupid, like your 8:49 posting of a question, ending it with a period instead of a question mark. Sorry, was that hypocritical of me?

Newsreader
Newsreader 09/09/09 - 10:27 am
If you want to express

If you want to express condolences to the family, then use the online guest book provide by the Augusta Chronicle. However, do not expect the comments on the news stories to be condolences, as the story is very unusual and has prompted many questions that go unanswered. Mr. Jay Weinberger was committing crimes when he took his own life. Sorry that the family must endure this public scrutiny, but it is his actions that provide the fodder for these post. The truth is out there, and if you follow the money you will find it. PS: I have compassion, and if tradegy befall my family, I would not be reading or worrying about post to the newspaper.

Seashells
Seashells 09/09/09 - 10:39 am
The guy in CherryTree had a

The guy in CherryTree had a record, meaning he was already a criminal. Sorry he passed away though.

Mr. Weinberger may have had mental problems brought on by the stress of running from town to town taking care of business.
Stress can trigger several illnesses.

VK
VK 09/09/09 - 11:14 am
Amen David...Let it go he has

Amen David...Let it go he has passed away cant everyone let the family mourn without all of these nasty hateful comments. May your soul rest in peace Jay.

r we judging
r we judging 09/09/09 - 11:46 am
So becasue he had been caught

So becasue he had been caught already and had a record it made a difference?????? so basically Both of them were criminals dear BOTH he had a stolen trailer on the back. Also There had been a stolen trailer recovered from his property before this incident so he had a record to!???? SOME RECORDS ARENT PUBLICIZED SEE IT DEPENDS ON "WHO " YOU ARE!!!!!

peace4784
peace4784 09/09/09 - 12:06 pm
Southernguy08 we are all

Southernguy08 we are all typical humans. There is nothing special about us. We are born, we live, and we die. Just like the billions before us. We all lie to ourselves thinking we are different. We are good and we are evil. We tell the truth and we lie. Our feces stink. When we die we rot and stink. The point is no one deserves to be worshipped, glorified or idolized. Wearing fancy clothes and having nobel titles makes no difference. WE are just dust in the wind. There are no chosen people. Only those who chose to steal all the money and enslave the rest of us to serve them. Trust me we are not all hoodwinked. We do understand the signs and symbols.

fd1962
fd1962 09/09/09 - 12:09 pm
Duvall & Scooby are both

Duvall & Scooby are both right. Since none of this will make any difference a hundred years from now, I choose to recall the good that Weinberger, and his extended family, have created during lifetimes in this community. Nothing can offset those accomplishments. Few lifetimes are perfect. Has yours been? What's important is the balance.

r we judging
r we judging 09/09/09 - 12:18 pm
stress wow is all i will

stress wow is all i will say??? the weinbergers or a person born into poverty???!!!! right im sure he was under stress to???!! Also i dont care what a person did during his lifetime if i catch him stealing my trailer off my property with a 9 mm people he is just like the young man from Cherry Tree Crossing, or worse did they find guns on that young man???? any old escuse huh??? If they would have did something when the 1st trailer was found instead of of it being brushed aside becasue of who he was maybe this wouldnt have happened!!! If they would ran him down like they did the boy in Cherry Tree crossing. It is what it is plenty of people have done good deeds and when they got busted they got crucified by the media period. Lets talk about balance, so if i do good deeds in the community I can be a bank robber?????

The Big O
The Big O 09/09/09 - 12:27 pm
I am appalled by people who

I am appalled by people who have no tolerance or desire for fellow Americans to be afforded freedoms and liberties such as the freedom of speech. This forum belongs to the AC and if they want to shut off all comments to all articles or specific articles then that is their right. Otherwise get a grip and realize that everybody doesn't share the same beliefs that you do. This reminds me of the tactics that the oppressive hypocritical Christians partake in their daily lives.

crrawells
crrawells 09/09/09 - 12:34 pm
David you are spot on about

David you are spot on about your comment. Some people love to gloat about other folks sins and failures but cannot see their own..