Put state agency on Weinberger case

The death of Augusta businessman Jay Weinberger, whom we considered both a friend and a consummate gentleman, came as a tremendous shock.

Considering that there is now only one Putnam County sheriff's deputy who really knows what happened, will we (and the family) ever know the truth? Hopefully, the GBI will pick up the investigation and get it out of the hands of a county law enforcement agency.

Art Cabot

North Augusta, S.C.

ontheridge
ontheridge 09/09/09 - 07:46 am
So what has been reported so

So what has been reported so far is false? This was a very tragic situation, but I am not so sure anything positive will come out of a
GBI investigation. JMO

xanadu
xanadu 09/09/09 - 07:53 am
Doesn't the GBI have more

Doesn't the GBI have more serious things to worry about than a common, run-of-the-mill thief, who, as we are now being told by our omnipotent media czars, was 'acting alone'?

justright
justright 09/09/09 - 11:08 am
Mr. Cabot seems to be

Mr. Cabot seems to be insinuating that the local law enforcement agency is incapable of solving an everyday type of crime, without any clear reason for doing so. It's as if he was bored and "invented" an issue to comment on. And I agree, the GBI has much more important things to deal with.

GladToBeGone
GladToBeGone 09/09/09 - 11:17 am
I think the GBI might should

I think the GBI might should get involved. Mark Weinberger was cooperative and showed them where two more apparently stolen trailers were according to reports? My feeling is co-owners - co-responsibility if due at any level. I do believe that this needs to be investigated deeper. I definitely believe there should be monetary restitution to the victims through the business if shown to be justified. Also, I was a bit disturbed by the family statement.........

Jsynapse
Jsynapse 09/09/09 - 02:31 pm
These trailers were reported

These trailers were reported as being stolen all over the state. Columbia County reports in a story today that 18 were stolen here in the last 90 days.These things costs $7,000 a piece. The Putnam County Sheriff can link Weinberger to six of them. That is more than likely the tip of the Iceberg. (What about SC where reports are coming in of hundreds of them stolen?) Four were found at the furniture store warehouses, one repainted with the Weinberger logo. Who got tags for these trailers? Again, Titanic-like tip of the iceberg. Considering, the Weinberger's have businesses in two counties, live in Columbia County and Mark W's wife works for the Columbia County Judicial system as an investigator, it is high time for the GBI to saddle up.

corgimom
corgimom 09/09/09 - 02:42 pm
Abolutely! This stinks to

Abolutely! This stinks to high heaven.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 09/09/09 - 09:55 pm
If the family and the

If the family and the business are 'clean' they would ask for the GBI investigation. This would allow all doubt and insinuations to be eradicated and they could move on. I, personally, will not buy there anymore because they have lost my trust.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/09/09 - 11:55 pm
The GBI needs to be

The GBI needs to be investigating the Bribery Scandal in Augusta.

michaelsiewert
michaelsiewert 09/14/09 - 09:27 am
Jsynapse, I cannot hold my

Jsynapse, I cannot hold my tongue any longer. You have proven time and time again that you have some personal vendetta against the Weinbergers. How sad for you to have such bitterness against someone else. How pathetic that you sit behind your computer and do this anonymously. If your life has been such a disappointment, you have only yourself to blame. If you took all of the energy you spent hating this family and applied it to something useful, you might be a happier person.