Remember those days of yesteryear?

A few really good things about the good old days -- I'm so old I can remember when:

- flying was fun.

- a federal offense was something really big;

- the best drivers on the road drove big rigs;

- people did not lock their doors at night;

- people were responsible for taking care of themselves;

- patient care was between a patient and a doctor;

- Sunday was treated as the Sabbath;

- voting was a privilege, not a right;

- music was melodic;

- university teachers were objective;

- girls were "sugar and spice and everything nice;"

- and the American Bar Association and the public thought it unethical for lawyers to advertise over the airways.

Mal McKibben

North Augusta, S.C.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 09/06/09 - 11:26 am
No one seems to trust O

No one seems to trust O anymore. The parents have stood up and kept his voice out of the schools. The tide has Finlay turned on O.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 09/06/09 - 11:36 am
Retired Army you must of had

Retired Army you must of had one tough life. I am glad I don't wake up every morning and start blaming and hating on people.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/06/09 - 11:43 am
Yes.. veterans have given

Yes.. veterans have given life and limb to defend our "rights"... this does not make them "priveleges".. which can arbitrarily be taken away. A drivers license is a privelege.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/09 - 11:50 am
Hillguy....if you are a

Hillguy....if you are a convicted felon, that PRIVILEGE to vote is taken away.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/09 - 11:52 am
escape goats!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

escape goats!!!! ROTFLMAO!!! I had a book about them on my "chester drawers"!

disssman
disssman 09/06/09 - 11:56 am
Funny but I thought we

Funny but I thought we americans always had the right to vote. I guess down south here they limited somehow the rights to vote to only special people. BTW Roeschen I have seen the way reservation people live and nothing surprises me. In arizona we built houses for the people and they moved out into tents in the front yard, we gave them cars after cars after cars and they are still in the front and back yards. No not all indians are like that but given their past records I wonder if they really listen to doctors without feathers.

disssman
disssman 09/06/09 - 11:59 am
Retired army you forgot. All

Retired army you forgot. All male citizens had a equal chance to show their patriotism by signing up for the DRAFT. That way everyone got a chance to support our nice little wars. Unless you were Dick Cheney of course.

dashiel
dashiel 09/06/09 - 12:00 pm
Thankjs, Retired Army, for

Thankjs, Retired Army, for reminding me of something my father used to say, only it was worded another way: "They don't make them like they used to--and they never did!"

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/06/09 - 12:06 pm
well lets see.. if you are a

well lets see.. if you are a convicted felon.. your rights are taken away, period.. still doesn't make voting a priviledge. And in cases of capital murder, there's execution.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/09 - 12:11 pm
Ahhhh..but you said rights

Ahhhh..but you said rights couldn't be taken away....I just gave you an example of when they can. That is my point.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/06/09 - 12:18 pm
If you break the law.. still

If you break the law.. still does not make the basic rights of a citizen a priviledge. Driving is a priviledge, voting and freedom, freedom of religion, and freedom of speech are not.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/06/09 - 12:21 pm
Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/06/09 - 12:22 pm
And the right to keep and

And the right to keep and bear arms...don't forget that one!

dani
dani 09/06/09 - 12:24 pm
Have you forgotten until

Have you forgotten until that before 1920 (?) women were not allowed to vote. So dissman..........No, Americans did not have the right to vote, but they fought for the privilege and finally, Y E S ! It happened.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/06/09 - 12:32 pm
wrong again... the right

wrong again... the right always existed.. just took time to have it actually realized.. Please for the love of God, read the writings of Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine and educate yourselves on the differences between rights and priviledges.

dani
dani 09/06/09 - 01:00 pm
privileges............

privileges............

Seashells
Seashells 09/06/09 - 01:37 pm
There is more than one kind

There is more than one kind of racism......I saw it in church first hand. I also thought it was only in the South until I saw Rev.Wright in the news.

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/06/09 - 01:42 pm
Retired Army - You remember

Retired Army - You remember slavery? You remember women and blacks not being able to vote? Gee, you are sure old. American Indians were first granted U.S. citizenship and the right to vote in 1924. By comparison, African American men formally received these rights in 1870, and non-Indian women won their fight to vote in 1920. So shut up with the racist crap.

jg41160
jg41160 09/06/09 - 02:18 pm
where is patricia thomas?

where is patricia thomas?

kiseta50
kiseta50 09/06/09 - 02:19 pm
If you can read all this

If you can read all this "stuff" thank your teachers, and if it is all in English, thank the soldiers. There was times when you did not have to push 1 for English on the phone.

disssman
disssman 09/06/09 - 02:34 pm
DANI you are absolutely

DANI you are absolutely right, except the writer didn't qualify his question nor direct his comments to only women. But don't forget the amendment to allow women to vote was passed with Georgia. South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, Virginia and Delaware not ratifying the amendment. In other words this little old state didn't see a reason for women to vote. Now I am wondering where the fight was for them to be able to vote. To me, fighting isn't having a march downtown, rather it is physical, but then I am retired military.

mable8
mable8 09/06/09 - 03:47 pm
dissman: you do not speak the

dissman: you do not speak the truth about reservation life and NO ONE ever "gave" the Native American cars and well built homes. The houses they have, they built themselves and they live in them, not in tents. If they do have tents (which is not the proper word for the dwelling; each Tribe has a particular word for them), it is for ceremonial purposes. Any vehicle they have, they purchased themselves. As for medical care, you obviously do not recognize the importance of the Shaman and his/her role in the health care of the Tribal members. If you are so educated about Native Americans, you would know that specific areas of the public health hospitals are designated to those healing practices. By combining Tribal medicine with Western Medicine, the recovery rate for illnesses has vastly improved for these people. By the way, every Tribal name translates to "The People." Quite frankly, the Native American has received the least amount of government assistance than any other group in the US. And, yes, I have lived among The People.

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/06/09 - 05:57 pm
Retired - I am sure there was

Retired - I am sure there was slavery - that is not the question I asked you. I asked if you remember slavery. Mal McKibben wrote "I am so old I remember ---". Now, tell me again, do you remember slavery. Did you go to private schools? I didn't, I went to reservation schools. Whatever school you went to, you must have failed spelling. "priveledge is spelled Privilege; Batchelors is spelled Bachelor - I also pointed out that black males received the right to vote in 1870 and non-Indian women the right to vote in 1920. Native Americans did not receive the right to vote until 1924 - when they became citizens of this country. You must have also flunked history as well as reading comprehension. Were you infantry? figures, can't expect much of anything from a liberal.

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/06/09 - 06:11 pm
Disssman - I am not sure what

Disssman - I am not sure what tribes you are talking about in Arizona - The Navajo lived in hogans - houses. The Apaches lived in Wickiups - brush houses. Most of the Arizona tribes lived in houses to begin with. Also, the government built houses on the reservations - most had no indoor plumbing, heat, or insulation - but they were houses nonetheless. It would be interesting to know what tribes you were talking about. Also, consider, the Native Americans do not trust Americans - either white or blacks - long history there. They also do not want something they have not worked for so if you "gave" them something, it is quite possible they did refuse to use it. They only want their freedom to live their lives.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...