Schools to review Obama speech before showing

President Obama's back-to-school address Tuesday won't be seen live by pupils in Columbia County schools, and possibly not in Richmond County, either.

Columbia County schools Superintendent Charles Nagle said teachers will not have enough time to incorporate the president's speech into their lesson plans, particularly because school is out Monday for Labor Day. Louis Svehla, spokesman for Richmond County schools, said the system won't require teachers to show the noon speech, which will be broadcast on the Internet at www.whitehouse.gov/live and on C-SPAN.

"It would be very difficult for us to set that up on such short notice," Mr. Nagle said.

In the speech, Mr. Obama "will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning," according to a statement released by Secretary of Education Arne Duncan's office.

The education secretary is also providing schools with a menu of classroom activities to accompany Mr. Obama's speech.

Mr. Nagle still is worried about the potential political nature of the speech and said he has received numerous comments from parents in the heavily Republican county opposed to letting their children hear Mr. Obama's comments.

"We've been inundated (with comments)," Mr. Nagle said. "We're getting a lot of mixed calls; mostly that this is an opportunity to politicize."

The superintendent said he also is bothered that he was not advised of the president's plans sooner or received more details on Mr. Obama's speech.

"I don't even know what age group this is directed at," he said. "I don't want kindergartners sitting there waiting to see the president. A lot of kindergartners still think I'm the president."

In Richmond County, teachers may show the speech if they are able to incorporate it into their lesson plans, but no one is required to do so, Mr. Svehla said.

"We're not altering our schedule," he said.

Typically, federal education plans are passed on to local school systems via the state Department of Education, Mr. Nagle said.

State schools officials didn't immediately respond Thursday to an e-mail inquiry regarding Mr. Obama's speech.

In his comments to parents, Mr. Nagle is encouraging them to record the speech and discuss it with their children at home.

Also, he is not against teachers discussing the speech with their pupils, but only after it is viewed by administrators.

"I sent an e-mail encouraging principals to review the Web cast if they like," he said.

"If they find merit with the speech and the lesson plan activities, and it works with our curriculum, then they should feel comfortable including it in school with certain groups."

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115, or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 09/04/09 - 01:35 am
This "speach" sounds much

This "speach" sounds much more like a political add thus far vs. and educational opportunity for our youth. He is the President so I guess I would have to say that the schools should show the students what he has to say but as far as the informational phamplets, etc. that the DOE approved to send our are absolutely ridiculous....tell us what you can do to help the President? Sorry, but no matter who the President is, approximately 50% will disagree with him so why not ask the youth of today what they can do to help their country. With the policies this administration is implementing and adopting, we are teaching our youth there really is no need to get an education, try your best, or to get ahead. If you do well, the government will take much more from you to give to those who do nothing or not so well. The government will give you free housing, food, transportation, money (tax credits to those who don't pay taxes) and health care. Why work? Why try to get ahead? Why study hard to become a Doctor because in 10 years, the government will set your salary? Our youth don't need to see a propoganda video from this administration.

justus4
justus4 09/04/09 - 03:50 am
This is ignorance and racist

This is ignorance and racist combined and on display for all the children to see. Don't use "your" ignorance to deny the children, especially minority kids, the opportunity to hear the Commander. After serving this country in uniform on foreign soil, one finds a unique respect for high office and tradition associated with the past. An example is the U.S. Flag being flown from Iraq to Andrews AFB specificly delivered to a fallen comrade's family. (an entire flight, the aircraft, the fuel, the cost, for a piece of cloth??) Thats what Americans do...its the Office, not the man--until now. And ol' Nagle has the authority to deny the children this opportunity from our leader, but his actions demonstarte the actions of a small man whose justifications of "short notice" demonstrate his poor management skills. That poor excuse will make even pre-schoolers laugh. "We" know what this is. "We" have seen it before. Being dishonest and disrespect for the Office of President is not a positive development, especially for those inspired by this one.

southside
southside 09/04/09 - 04:38 am
I want to encourage Richmond

I want to encourage Richmond and Columbia County Schools to move beyond the rhetoric and allow the students to view the message from the President of the United States of America. The last time I checked President Obama was everyone's President regardless of political party, race, social status, etc. We have lost our moral compass in America and fail to rally together as One Nation under God, Indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for All.

The idea that it can't be incorporated into the lesson plan on such short notice is a farce at best. I remember as a student stopping all work in order to see the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion as it happend during US History at Hephzibah High School years ago.

Allow the students to hear from their President.

catfish201
catfish201 09/04/09 - 05:08 am
Parents can tape the message,

Parents can tape the message, show it and discuss it with their children after school.

1bone
1bone 09/04/09 - 05:09 am
i want to encourage Richmond

i want to encourage Richmond and Columbia County schools to move beyond the rhetoric and err on the side of caution: view ANY message prior to broadcasting it to children. we have lost our intellectual compass and often rally together under the auspices of One Nation under God, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All without questioning the reasons. children should not be treated like sheep and herded into a stall for political grazing: just because a politician - black, white, red, green, whatever - has a captive audience doesn't give him or her the right to demand they hear a speech before the educational authority in a community has properly reviewed it.

avidreader
avidreader 09/04/09 - 05:15 am
I watch C-Span from

I watch C-Span from time-to-time, and I know that the network often replays segments. The kids can watch the program on their own time, at home. Teachers are under a lot of pressure to maintain state-mandated GPS, and a pep talk from the president doesn't seem appropriate for the classroom, especially with so much negativity looming on capitol hill. I would welcome Bill Cosby into my classroom; he has no political agenda other than to challenge politicians to behave and encourage children to think. At this point, Mr. Obama is an extremely controversial, Orwellian presence on the political scene, and I feel strongly that I am not a neutral presence. I will not apologize for my distrust for the current administration, and I do NOT want my drooping face to be on display in my classroom.

workingmom
workingmom 09/04/09 - 05:45 am
I completely agree with

I completely agree with catfish20. If parents want their children to watch the President's speech, they should tape it and then watch it along with them after school. This will allow parents to discuss the speech face to face with their children. What a wonderful way for parents to be involved in encouraging our young people to take responsibility and set goals.

fred1217
fred1217 09/04/09 - 05:49 am
It's a good thing that

It's a good thing that Columbia County will not allow the President's message to get to the kids. In the speech, Mr. Obama "will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning," Who ever heard of such radical ideas! As usual the Augusta Chronicle was right to pick up on this. I'm Mad, really, really Mad. Can't wait until the next Town Hall Meeting!!! Save the Country!!!

aah-nm
aah-nm 09/04/09 - 06:10 am
Georgia, one of the worst 2

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/04/09 - 06:25 am
What is the big issue,

What is the big issue, Haven't we ban God from schools.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/04/09 - 06:33 am
Just goes to show how much

Just goes to show how much President Obama has divided the nation. He has a lot of work to do if he intends to keep his promise of bring the country together.

carolinafrog
carolinafrog 09/04/09 - 07:03 am
justus4 & southside, I am not

justus4 & southside, I am not a hate-monger by any means. I fear God first, and my Dad second. Gov't is taking over too much, and now they are stepping on the toes of our children by having the President show up in their classroom. If I want my child to see it, she can watch it from home on their website. She will NOT be attending the "indoctrination" speech. Others can view it from their homes too or from their public libraries if they do not have a home computer. But he does not belong "glorifying" himself by asking the kids to read books about other Pres including himself. Those are heated far-left radical books and my child has no interest in partaking, as well, I WILL RIGHTFULLY BY LAW MAKE THAT DECISION FOR HER AS I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR HER AS SHE IS A MINOR. SHE WILL NOT HEAR THIS "SPEECH". First this, next what? His buddy Bill Ayres addressing the schools? After all he is a teacher himself, right?

specialist
specialist 09/04/09 - 07:16 am
Hey Folks.....How do you

Hey Folks.....How do you spell B R A I N W A S H ?
How about Hitlers Youth?
How about Obamas Youth?
Buy em all brown shirts !

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/04/09 - 07:18 am
I agree with catfish20, let

I agree with catfish20, let the parents tape this and view it with their children at home. You can then sit down and discuss what the President says with your child. I think it's wonderful that he wants to promote studying hard, setting goals, and staying in school but it's the other 95% of what his speach might contain that concerns me. Southside you mentioned watching the explosion of the Space Challenger Shuttle in school. This is totally different than having to watch a speach from the president for political gain.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/04/09 - 07:20 am
Maybe it would be a good idea

Maybe it would be a good idea to let him speak or see the video. He may just tell them how they pay for his health plan. I sure can't

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/04/09 - 07:25 am
George, not tell them how,

George, not tell them how, just let them know that they better prepare, because they will pay...deeply.

Fish Out of Water
Fish Out of Water 09/04/09 - 07:40 am
That's the way to raise

That's the way to raise thoughtful, intelligent pupils. Filter the information, so they only hear one side of things. I expect more out of our schools, but I'm beginning to wonder why.

joekm46
joekm46 09/04/09 - 07:41 am
justus4, Go spred your

justus4, Go spred your propaganda somewhere else. Thats the great thing about this country. No matter who's in office we don't have to buy their ideals or support them. You watch him if you want. Myself I won't be watching him as I hope my friends and family will keep their children home from school that day. Thats the great thing about television and radio there is an off button and also controls to change the channels, oh yeah mute button works great.

teharper428
teharper428 09/04/09 - 07:55 am
Where was the outrage when

Where was the outrage when Bush 41 did his speech to school children? While president, George H.W. Bush gave a speech to schoolchildren intended "to motivate America's students to strive for excellence; to increase students' as well as parents' responsibility/accountability; and to promote students' and parents' awareness of the educational challenge we face." According to The Washington Post, the "White House sent letters to schools across the nation to encourage teachers and principals to allow students to tune in the speech, which was also carried live by the Mutual Broadcasting and NBC Radio Network. The live television and radio coverage was arranged at the request of the Education Department." [Washington Post, 10/2/91]

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/04/09 - 07:58 am
You shouldn't have to worry

You shouldn't have to worry about filtering the information kids hear in school. If they'd keep politics out of the classroom and concentrate on teaching our students to read, write and how to do basic math, then maybe our kids would be more intelligent than they are now when they get out of school. It's not the schools job to see that my child is thoughtful..that's to be taught at home by his/her parents.

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 09/04/09 - 08:00 am
some of you people make me

some of you people make me laugh....if your kids won't listen to you about working hard in school and setting life goals then what makes you think anything a president could say would make any difference......until parents get involved with their kids and put their foots down, our youth will just continue on the path they have set....besides, at this point in their lives most of them don't care who the president is and don't really understand what a president is supposed to do....their heros are the sports stars, gangbangers, and music stars who make millions a year.......what do they care about someone who doesn't even make half that......so just makes me question what his real intention is......what is he trying to steer our future generations into doing......working hard and doing good in school, i don't buy it......and i see the point of others who compare this to hitler reaching out to the german youth.....if anyone has something to say to my child then they can say it through me or while I am with my child.....so i am in agreement with the schools saying they will review before airing to students and I think parents should tune in to the white house web site and watch first.

JustMe
JustMe 09/04/09 - 08:10 am
It should have been shown on

It should have been shown on the internet first so parents could make an informed decision. What are they hiding???

miles
miles 09/04/09 - 08:13 am
"Georgia, one of the worst 2

"Georgia, one of the worst 2 school systems in the USA. Boy, You republicans are nuts.Dumd, Dumb, Dumb." ... yeah, i'm going to go ahead and nod my head yes to this statement. ;o)

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/04/09 - 08:24 am
Ah, I don't think it kids of

Ah, I don't think it kids of republicans that make GA the second dumbest school system.

pah4r
pah4r 09/04/09 - 08:31 am
This president, nor any other

This president, nor any other should be given special consideration to talk directly to school children bypassing their parents to promote his thoughts upon impressionable young minds. If this speech is of such significance let it air on our tv and radio stations where it can be viewed by parents and their childre together. Sounds like more of the magician's attempts to make himself look good.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 09/04/09 - 08:36 am
Oh for Pete's sake. Put away

Oh for Pete's sake. Put away the Hitler card. Yeesh! I'm tired of seeing people whip that out whenever they're displeased. Try to find something more original, will ya? As for the speech, it's hard enough for teachers to cram everything they need to teach into their lesson plans for the year. You want them to scrap them to fit this in at the last minute? I say this fits in well with a social studies class but don't take away time from Language Arts, hard Science, or Math. Also, if you really want your kids to see it, then tape it and show it to them at home. What's the big deal WHERE they see it, so long AS they see it?

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/04/09 - 08:43 am
dear emergencyfan, please

dear emergencyfan, please quit trying to inject common sense into the argument. It will kill momentum. Thanks.

toppergem
toppergem 09/04/09 - 08:51 am
Charles Nagle needs to be

Charles Nagle needs to be ashamed. He is so afraid of what the Republicans in Columbia County have to say that he is bending to their will. Mr. Nagle , could your decision not to air the President's message be based on the fact that you are an elected official too...and you will have to be re-elected yourself?

Local Interests
Local Interests 09/04/09 - 08:54 am
This is an absolutely low

This is an absolutely low point for Columbia County schools. We already rank below every other county in the state with similar demographics. We think we are great only because we're next to Richmond county and of course we good good compared to them. We skip over highly qualified candidates to promote from within and end up with a Superindendent that doesn't even have his doctorate. Now he allows the school system to be run by the Republican party. Don't buy for a minute this excuse about not having time to rearrange the schedule. I've had 2 kids graduate from here and they told me that schedule changes occur all the time - no big deal. This is pure politics and has NOTHING to do with education. These sorts of decisions are a big reason why Georgia is 49 out of 50. Again we depend on South Carolina to help us feel better about ourselves.
Republicans already trashed our economy and our position as a world leader. Their implementation of No Child Left Behind is trashing our education system. They fight science being taught in our schools. They want specific interpretations of the Bible taught in our schools (think Taliban). Now they continue to deprive our children of knowledge.

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 09/04/09 - 09:00 am
fish.....if you think schools

fish.....if you think schools aren't filtering information now, think again......our children often don't get the other side of things......jeez many schools won't allow the idea of god and creation to be taught or discussed, they only teach the big bang and we decended from apes and darwin's evolution......maybe some of those teachers' ancestors swung from trees but mine sure didn't......today we put too much on the schools to teach outside what is needed such as morality, political beliefs, sex education etc.....but who decides what is right or wrong with those subjects or talks to me before they start teaching it.....i don't expect schools to teach my child those things, as a responsible parent that is my job....i will teach them proper respect and who deserves it.....i expect the school to teach my child how our political system is set up and how it is intended to work, but my child should develop their own political beliefs based on their life experiences and expectations as they grow, not have it fed to them when they are to young to know any better.........and we can all see what a wonderful job the schools are doing at sex education with the rise in STDs and teen pregnancy

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen