Rally to amplify health care concerns

While it is far too late to derail some decisions already made by the current administration, which seems to operate sans opposition, the health care reform dubbed "Obamacare" has yet to be decided upon.

Town hall meetings -- a deceptive, revitalized phrase to ensure that the average American citizen feels his/her voice is being heard -- have been held across this once-great nation for several weeks. There is no shortage of coverage of these through national media outlets -- most of which depict angry crowds engaging in verbal fisticuffs. Neither the proponents nor the opponents are accurately informed (nor, it seems, is Congress).

It is human nature to fear the unknown, and there is much unknown about this recent reform. Adding to this fear is the recent history of edicts handed down from Washington. The economic reforms were pushed through Congress at such an expedited rate that many senators and representatives barely had a chance to read the lengthy document.

To prevent further rash decisions based on zero research, citizens are gathering for a Stop ObamaCare (SOC) Rally. Politicians, medical professionals and people who have experienced socialized health care firsthand are slated to speak and will take questions from the audience.

Citizens are encouraged to bring socks to the SOC Rally. There are plans to mail these to Washington in disapproval of the current proposed health care reform. Boxes will be purchased from the Postal Service, which is in dire need of economic stimulation.

There are rumors that said socks needn't be clean. I encourage people to attend the rally to be informed on important issues; possibly have their voices heard; and, if nothing else, stuff a box with their week-old socks.

Regardless of political views, everyone can agree that those in Washington need to be reminded who pays their salaries. I can think of no better way than to send them laundry that we can no longer afford to wash.

Chris Phillips

Augusta

(The rally will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Jessye Norman Amphitheater on Riverwalk Augusta.)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/09 - 12:32 pm
Does HR3200 spell out exactly

Does HR3200 spell out exactly what is considered "Special Needs" "Certain Qualified illness" Minimum Requirements, ect , ect. Just general words.

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/09 - 12:43 pm
GACopperhead will go to

GACopperhead will go to Canada for his health care, just like his freeloader son did for his child's birth. His son is no better than the Mexicans who come across the border into the US to get free care.

KSL
KSL 09/02/09 - 12:44 pm
Wouldn't be nice if the bills

Wouldn't be nice if the bills were written by ordinary people in a way that everyone could understand?

lord griggs1947
lord griggs1947 09/02/09 - 12:48 pm
concenednative and other

concenednative and other concerned Georgians and others, we have our work cut out for us by the by"lying liars" and just plain misunderstandings. There is no such valid interpretation; that one is one people with their blinders on, dipped in the cesspool, misread thereby! People can rationally discuss this matter, and find real questions about pay outs and how might it help lower the debt. When those without insurance get insurance, then instead of waiting to the last minute at the cost to their health and- to the taxpayers [ Of whom, some themselves are.]. and have better health outcomes and save the taxpayer money.
Yes, people need to have better health habits! I do for sure, thanks to my sister-in-law, nephew-in-law and my VA physician, Dr. Singh. I follow valid advice. Would that others would, such as giving up smoking! That addiction ranks as a difficulty with getting off dope!

KSL
KSL 09/02/09 - 12:56 pm
griggs, if I want to annoy my

griggs, if I want to annoy my husband, I read a couple of lines of one of your posts. Still hung up on cesspools, I see. LOL

lord griggs1947
lord griggs1947 09/02/09 - 01:07 pm
That big Spencer -Rand [

That big Spencer -Rand [ Social Darwinism, a slur on the great scientist!] that the poor are free loaders1 Just like the middle class, they get laid off. Many have high school educations or GED's and have no more out-of -wedlock children than to others. Yes, they use their personal responsibility but societal conditions enter their lives unduly. This isn't a blame society game but just the fact of the conditions. Our covenant binds us one to the other in society such that we try to rake care of all of us.Yes, this rankles the advocates of rugged individualism, but let them bleat and weep! The Supreme Court ever ratifies the General Welfare Clause to let the federal government aid us all, and life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness find themselves empowered through the Bill of Rights, and the Ninth Amendment applies as to those rights not enumerated, which includes the right to health care! We owe our rights to our being the species with our level of consciousness. And we should support the Great Ape Project as New Zealand and Spain now do to protect better the other great apes. We apply Morgan's Canon in these matters.The humanist presumption applies.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/02/09 - 01:16 pm
What in the heck is lord

What in the heck is lord griggs trying to say??? Just got a chance to read through today's post and my word, what is GACopperhead on this morning? The problem with this new health care bill is it's too massive, the wording not clear and can be interpreted however you understand it to be which in the long run can lead to major problems down the road. Someone stated Congress wrote the bill, I do believe it was another group that wrote this bill and not Congress.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/02/09 - 01:30 pm
I think Lord Griggs got the

I think Lord Griggs got the Koran and Darwins theory confused!

KSL
KSL 09/02/09 - 01:39 pm
A little knowledge in the

A little knowledge in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/02/09 - 01:40 pm
GACOP, if you are truly

GACOP, if you are truly making the poor pay you claim but still are paying 23% in income taxes, I'd say you need to change your tax preparer. And if I'm not mistaken, Franklin Raines was the CEO of Fannie Mae about the time millions of toxic mortgages were made, the same Franklin Raines that was defended by Congresswoman Maxine Waters and is now under federal investigation for misappropriation of funds. I remember her defense of this dirtbag, calling an investigation of him a "lynching," because he is AA. And PEACE, your spelling of "buffoon" leads me to believe you were looking in a mirror when posting. The overweight, lazy, obese, unhealthy slobs, consumers of alcohol and tobacco who are burdening our healthcare system with their unhealthy lifestyles that you rant about can also be found in any public housing complex. They refer to themselves as "poor and needy."

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/02/09 - 02:01 pm
Not only that, southernguy08

Not only that, southernguy08 - it is the same "poor and needy" who are doing drugs, shooting at other people, robbing, knifing, cutting, stealing, committing home invasions, etc, etc, etc. Maybe Peace should be attempting to get rid of these people, the real burdens on society.

LaTwon
LaTwon 09/02/09 - 02:08 pm
i wonder if crybaby reports

i wonder if crybaby reports his free rent as income?

OBX
OBX 09/02/09 - 02:22 pm
Concernednative...In regards

Concernednative...In regards to your posts about "special needs" and GACopper being right both of you are off base. Page 354 and "special needs" refers to those whose enrollment in the Government plan may be resticted due to "special needs" i.e. pre-existing conditions etc. Again it is not clear as to the true meaning. What you and GAC are referring to is found on the following pages:Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled;Page 167: Any individual who doesn't have acceptable healthcare (according to the government) will be taxed 2.5% of income. Or Page 265: Government mandates and controls productivity for private healthcare industries. Now, AGAIN I have posted direct reponses from HR 3200 and why I am opposed to it as it is written. So GACopper care to debate?

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/02/09 - 02:40 pm
Did I misunderstand JHS, but

Did I misunderstand JHS, but according to what you posted, if my employer offers a private health care plan which I am currently a member and choose to continue paying for, and it does not meet the governments criteria (or is deemed acceptable healthcare), I can be taxed 2.5% of my income?

corgimom
corgimom 09/02/09 - 02:43 pm
Yes, it'll be like that to

Yes, it'll be like that to stop people from setting up sham insurance companies to avoid the tax.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/02/09 - 03:02 pm
I have heard several local

I have heard several local business owners say that if this passes they will lay off all permanent employees and only hire contractors. They will not be taking deductions out of their pay and will give them a 1099 at the end of the year.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/02/09 - 03:08 pm
I'm still waiting for the

I'm still waiting for the supporters of universal healthcare to tell me why the president and congress exempted themselves from this bill if it is truly an option. An option means you have the choice, and an exemption isn't needed...right?

OBX
OBX 09/02/09 - 03:09 pm
InChristLove, Yes that is the

InChristLove, Yes that is the way it reads. I don't know of any other way it can be interpreted. Also on Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. This does not however mean you "have" to participate but that you must be enrolled THEN decline...It doesn't make sense. This is interesting to business owners such as myself;Page 149: Any employer with a payroll of $400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays an 8% tax on payroll. Page 150: Any employer with a payroll of $250K-400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays a 2 to 6%
tax on payroll. The way I understand this; Is that I either offer the "public plan" and pay for private insurance as well or don't and still "pay"...Again it is not clear and the cost are mearly passed on to either myself, my employees or other tax paying citizens.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/02/09 - 03:10 pm
That is the $64 question!!

That is the $64 question!!

OBX
OBX 09/02/09 - 03:19 pm
ColdBeer; I have talked with

ColdBeer; I have talked with others in the same boat as I am in and yes we have kicked around that option.....BUT on Page 126: Employers MUST pay healthcare bills for part-time employees AND their families. Now it doesn't give clarification as to what "part-time" is...Does it mean sub-contractors? 1099? Or employees working less than 35 hours per week? So on page 126...The way it reads, do I have to register any and all people who do work for my company? I don't think it gives a clear and concise answer.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/02/09 - 03:19 pm
Tony Powers is reading the

Tony Powers is reading the comments from this article.. funny stuff.. laughing at GACopperhead

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 09/02/09 - 03:20 pm
yyyaaawwwnnn

yyyaaawwwnnn

LaTwon
LaTwon 09/02/09 - 03:22 pm
tis the tyranny of the

tis the tyranny of the incompetent govt officials that have never done anything in their lives but live off of tax payers. this will destroy small biz and send many jobs over seas. get the hell ou tof my life. be gone parasite............

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/02/09 - 03:24 pm
I found this on the internet.

I found this on the internet. Although it's by a professor at Duke University, it's several questions and explanations that are written in layman terms so you can understand it. I thought it was very interesting. http://www.classicalideals.com/HR3200.htm

OBX
OBX 09/02/09 - 03:26 pm
You might want to wake up

You might want to wake up RCR...

LaTwon
LaTwon 09/02/09 - 03:26 pm
not surprised you just got up

not surprised you just got up rcr.......... they bring your check yet? : )

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 09/02/09 - 03:30 pm
Latwon, I'll bet I make three

Latwon, I'll bet I make three times folks like you.You're talking and you probably get some form of government check yourself. Oh I'm very awake and know what your real motives are.I hope the tea party give you your temporary fix before Healthcare Reform pass.

HillGuy
HillGuy 09/02/09 - 03:32 pm
RCR=Sprintman=countyman

RCR=Sprintman=countyman

LaTwon
LaTwon 09/02/09 - 03:36 pm
you dooze? i would take that

you dooze? i would take that bet and i hope u dont teach english nor mentor those young folks on verb conjugation.
so how much would you like to bet? put your money where your mouth is. $50,000?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 09/02/09 - 03:43 pm
Latwon, the english teacher,

Latwon, the english teacher, are you still crying about the government? Do you still think they are going to take away your shotgun?The way you're talkin, you might would like to go back to the olds. Just let me know if y'all need any teabags. I'm just trying to help out.