Rally to amplify health care concerns

While it is far too late to derail some decisions already made by the current administration, which seems to operate sans opposition, the health care reform dubbed "Obamacare" has yet to be decided upon.

Town hall meetings -- a deceptive, revitalized phrase to ensure that the average American citizen feels his/her voice is being heard -- have been held across this once-great nation for several weeks. There is no shortage of coverage of these through national media outlets -- most of which depict angry crowds engaging in verbal fisticuffs. Neither the proponents nor the opponents are accurately informed (nor, it seems, is Congress).

It is human nature to fear the unknown, and there is much unknown about this recent reform. Adding to this fear is the recent history of edicts handed down from Washington. The economic reforms were pushed through Congress at such an expedited rate that many senators and representatives barely had a chance to read the lengthy document.

To prevent further rash decisions based on zero research, citizens are gathering for a Stop ObamaCare (SOC) Rally. Politicians, medical professionals and people who have experienced socialized health care firsthand are slated to speak and will take questions from the audience.

Citizens are encouraged to bring socks to the SOC Rally. There are plans to mail these to Washington in disapproval of the current proposed health care reform. Boxes will be purchased from the Postal Service, which is in dire need of economic stimulation.

There are rumors that said socks needn't be clean. I encourage people to attend the rally to be informed on important issues; possibly have their voices heard; and, if nothing else, stuff a box with their week-old socks.

Regardless of political views, everyone can agree that those in Washington need to be reminded who pays their salaries. I can think of no better way than to send them laundry that we can no longer afford to wash.

Chris Phillips

Augusta

(The rally will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Jessye Norman Amphitheater on Riverwalk Augusta.)

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 03:31 am
Those who support our

Those who support our government and the fact that it's doing what it was elected to do by the majority of Americans need to show up and expose the radicals for the liars that they are. We need to ask the doctors how much they earn annually, we need to question the insurance companies about how much they've spent to protect their usuious profits, and we need to question the representatives about how much in lobbyist money from these PACS they have accepted. The truth needs to be exposed.

carcraft
carcraft 09/02/09 - 04:46 am
GACopperhead on Wed Sep 2,

GACopperhead on Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:31 AM We need to ask how many hours did you work during you 12 to 15 years of school, after high school, how much debt did you accumulate while in medical school, how does it feel to have some nurses make more than you do after all your effort and education? How many of your families lifes events did you miss because you worked or studied. How many hours did you lay awake because one of your patient's did poorly? How many of you are divorced because of the long seeming unending hours of medical school? We need to ask GaCopper head why he hasn't started a health insurance company designed to make no profits and how many investors he attracts! Oh, don't want to invest your time and effort for nothing GAC?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 09/02/09 - 04:56 am
GAC...YOU are the one who

GAC...YOU are the one who needs to examine what you are saying for lies. YOU keep bringing up "death panels" and saying it is a Republican lie, yet if you actually READ HR3200, you would see that it specifically calls for "end of life counseling" in lieu of medical treatment. THIS is what is being called a death panel. IT IS IN THE BILL, even if you deny it. READ HR3200, and stop listening to what Obama wants you to hear and inform yourself. You are correct about one thing. The truth needs to be exposed, but you need to actually find out what the truth is instead of being told what the truth is. If you can prove me wrong I'll be shocked, since you clearly haven't read HR3200, or you wouldn't tell people that what they have actually read in it, is not in it. ..................sheep.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:26 am
It will be passed, in spite

It will be passed, in spite of you. Those who want to be traitors, and start an armed revolt will be staring down the barrels of those who oppose you. We endured 8 years of Republican mismanagement and unconstitutional acts by the government, and now we have take control back. It's time for us to stop you. All who support healthcare reform COME OUT AND COUNTER PROTEST! Let them see us and hear our voices! It doesn't say in lieu, and it's the same counseling that is already suggested. It's not like the Bush administration getting involved in the personal decisions like Schiavo.

carcraft
carcraft 09/02/09 - 05:33 am
It is not being a traitor to

It is not being a traitor to oppose the Government oversteping it's constitutional bounds! You protested what you felt were Bush's unconstitutional acts correct? I have a right to protest to!

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:37 am
I have just gone and reread

I have just gone and reread the section of HR3200, pages 425-430, Tigger, and your statement is patently FALSE. There as I have said is absolutely no mention of the government formulating when or if care is to be ended, no suggestion that the government will say when that care should end. There is ABSOLUTELY no mention of end of life counseling in lieu of treatment, but ther IS specific wording that states the mandate comes from the patient, not the doctors or the government. You just parrot, and interpret in the manner that you are gullibly led to.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:39 am
Do tell, carcraft, what is

Do tell, carcraft, what is unconstitutional? State your point and your proof. If you believe that wiretapping American citizens without warrant is Constitutional, then I challenge you to read The 4th and 5th Amendments to the Constitution of the United States.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:43 am
Also, bring your video

Also, bring your video cameras! Post it to Youtube. Let the world see how these idiots act! Let Georgians see that their Congress people are being paid off by big medical and insurance interests.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:48 am
carcraft, the "investors" in

carcraft, the "investors" in insurance are supposed to be those who group together to lower their medical costs, not people who are doing nothing but raising the costs for every one. I, again, remind you of the ad that shows various scenarios of people buying something, having a price quoted by the vendor, only to have another man adding to the price, pocketing the extra. Your idea of investing is pure greed and profit, has been unregulated and has performed absolutely no service.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:52 am
Bring people who have

Bring people who have positive experiences with Canadian or other healthcare systems. I bet they won't be allowed to speak, will they? My daughter-in-law has some extremely posistive things to say about Canadian healthcare. Will you let her speak at the rally?

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:57 am
''Advance Care Planning

''Advance Care Planning Consultation
21 ''(hhh)(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), the
22 term 'advance care planning consultation' means a con23
sultation between the individual and a practitioner de24
scribed in paragraph (2) regarding advance care planning,
25 if, subject to paragraph (3), the individual involved has

1 not had such a consultation within the last 5 years. Such
2 consultation shall include the following:
3 ''(A) An explanation by the practitioner of ad4
vance care planning, including key questions and
5 considerations, important steps, and suggested peo6
ple to talk to.
7 ''(B) An explanation by the practitioner of ad8
vance directives, including living wills and durable
9 powers of attorney, and their uses.
10 ''(C) An explanation by the practitioner of the
11 role and responsibilities of a health care proxy.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 05:59 am
12 ''(D) The provision by the

12 ''(D) The provision by the practitioner of a list
13 of national and State-specific resources to assist con14
sumers and their families with advance care plan15
ning, including the national toll-free hotline, the ad16
vance care planning clearinghouses, and State legal
17 service organizations (including those funded
18 through the Older Americans Act of 1965).
19 ''(E) An explanation by the practitioner of the
20 continuum of end-of-life services and supports avail21
able, including palliative care and hospice, and bene22
fits for such services and supports that are available
23 under this title.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:00 am
Let's let everyone read what

Let's let everyone read what the bill says....

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/02/09 - 06:03 am
I read it and informed my

I read it and informed my congressional representatives that if they vote for it I'll personally start recall petitions for them! There is my support Copperhead.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:07 am
There is nothing in the bill

There is nothing in the bill that mandates ending of treatments, except in the patient's living will. You have lied. I can continue to print the facts. Prove your lies.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:08 am
Your congressional

Your congressional representatives, at least the ones who have been bought off by the insurance lobbies SHOULD be recalled.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:17 am
I find it amusing that now, I

I find it amusing that now, I am not permitted to print the actual text from HR3200. If you can't beat them, silence them.......

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:19 am
I challenge any one to print

I challenge any one to print the actual wording of the bill that pertains to your so-called death panels or says that the govenment can mandate your death. Prove what you say.

confederate american
confederate american 09/02/09 - 06:20 am
gacopperhea-just another dead

gacopperhea-just another dead head liberal,i will walk over your carcass

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 09/02/09 - 06:26 am
copperhead you need to get a

copperhead you need to get a job you have to much free time and i for one refuse to pay your insurance bill when it is obvouis
you dont need my help. why is it you all who hated bush and protested him every step of the way are so intolerant of opposing views. you are NOT a keeper of the truth you are the lier and a puppet of the self annointed one. and you can threaten me by stating to put me on youtube all you want and while you are at it contact the white house on their snitch line and rat on me. if this is your idea of a free republic under obama then you just have supported all our fears of this administration by your threating actions.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:27 am
How does it feel, as I have

How does it feel, as I have had an ICU nurse friend of mine relate to me on multiple occasions, to have doctors override a patient's wishes in order to increase costs, or to just play God? How does it feel, in my specific case, to go to an emergency room, be seen for less than 5 minutes by a nurse, and for 3 minutes by a doctor, get misdiagnosed, and then charged $500.00?
I had viral meningitis, and was told I had a flu and to go home. How does it feel to NOT be able to get insurance, as is my case, because of pre-existing conditions? How does it feel to be diagnosed with breast cancer only to have insurance canceled because it was not revealed that a woman had ACNE treatment as a teen? "The commerce-committee investigation released the first public data on the practice, finding that the three companies, WellPoint, UnitedHealth, and Assurant, rescinded nearly 20,000 policies from 2003 to 2007, saving $300 million. The committee found that at WellPoint, employees were rewarded for rescinding policies based on how much money they saved the company."

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:30 am
As I asked yesterday, and,

As I asked yesterday, and, typically, no one answered, I pay 23% income tax, not including SSI and Medicare, so, if I BUY government option, how are YOU paying for my health care, nofan? Provide specific wording from the bill that justifies your arguments against this bill.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:32 am
confederate, I promise you,

confederate, I promise you, you'll be staring down the barrel of my weapons, if you decide to act out your treasonous rants.....

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:34 am
If you had a lick of proof

If you had a lick of proof that backs your arguments, it would be an opposing view. Without basis, it's only lies and propaganda. PRINT EXACT WORDING FROM THE BILL THAT PROVES YOU POINT.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:35 am
Many requests, and no

Many requests, and no proof.....

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:36 am
Nofan, I've been printing the

Nofan, I've been printing the exact wording of the bill, how am I a liar? Statements that are proven lies have been made by Republicans.

confederate american
confederate american 09/02/09 - 06:41 am
gacopperhead-were do come up

gacopperhead-were do come up with treason and i really don't think that you want to compare weapons in any shape are form

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:42 am
What threats have I

What threats have I issued...to have everyone see the misinformation being proffered by Republicans? To vow to protect my government against TREASON? Whiners, one and all. You're terrified, the country has rejected you and your ilk, and you are spoiled children, throwing your temper tantrums. If Holder had a real set, he would investigate and prosecute the previous administration for their decisions to torture.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:43 am
You have advocated armed

You have advocated armed rebellion. That is treason.

GACopperhead 09/02/09 - 06:43 am
Still, no proof of Republican

Still, no proof of Republican arguments.