Eighth victim dies; 911 caller charged

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - The grim death toll in Saturday's vicious massacre at a Glynn County mobile home park reached eight, leaving only one survivor - the youngest of those brutally attacked.

Back | Next
An officer with the state Emergency Management Agency searches for evidence along a Glynn County road. Police are offering a $25,000 reward for information.  Associated Press
Associated Press

Michael Toler, 19, died about noon Sunday, said Capt. Marissa Tindale, head of the detectives division with the Glynn County Police Department.

Shortly after his death was made public Sunday, Police Chief Matt Doering announced a $25,000 reward "for the arrest of the person or persons responsible for one or more of these deaths."

Asked what the reward means in terms of the investigation, he said, "What does the $25,000 mean? It means we need help.''

Doering again said that police have no specific suspect and that officers would resume searching for evidence Monday.

"We are not confining our search to Glynn County. We'll go where we need to go and do what we need to do,'' he said.

"Someone without a doubt walked into that house and killed them. Yes, it could be more than one suspect,'' Doering said.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Savannah crime lab has completed autopsies on four of the bodies, and Doering said he was unsure when all will be completed.

Earlier today Doering wouldn't say whether Guy Heinze Jr., a son of one of the victims, is tied to the deaths. Mr. Heinze was charged earlier today with tampering with evidence and obstructing police in their probe.

"I would not call Mr. Heinze a suspect, but I won't rule him out either," Doering said.

Later he said: "I'm 100 percent certain what happened, and I'm 100 percent certain I know how it happened. What remains is who and the motive."

District Attorney Stephen Kelley went to the crime scene in the single-wide mobile home today. Kelley said law enforcement faces numerous hurdles in solving the case.

"I've seen a lot of crime scenes in my 24 years, and this is the most puzzling," Kelley said. "What makes it so difficult is the fact of the sheer number of victims in one location."

Heinze, 22, is the son of slaying victim Guy Heinze Sr., said the elder Heinze's brother-in-law.

Guy Heinze Jr. is also charged with possession of a controlled substance (Darvacet) and possession of marijuana. He called 911 about 8 a.m. Saturday to report that someone had killed his family at the rural mobile home park 10 miles north of Brunswick.

McIntosh County Chief Deputy William Jennings said the sheriff's office had an open file on a complaint Heinze made against the owner of the park.

Because Heinze was behind on his rent payments for his lot, the owner apparently took possession of the mobile home and sold it to someone else, Jennings said.

Heinze found himself locked out of his own property and called the sheriff's office, which investigated, Jennings said.

Doering said earlier that investigators believe that none of those found inside the trailer were involved in the attack, but they all lived there.

On Saturday, Doering described the crime scene as "horrific" and labeled the deaths the area's worst carnage ever.

Heinze reported finding the victims about 8 a.m. in the mobile home park 10 miles north of Brunswick. County Coroner Jimmy Durden said the victims appeared to have been killed overnight. Their bodies were discovered on the floor and beds inside the mobile home.

Because of the severity of the injuries, their identities and manner in which they were slain could not be readily determined.

Doering said about one-third of his staff of 114, including 20 detectives, are working the case. Federal agencies have offered help.

"There has not been such a number of victims, that I know of, in the history of this county,'' he said.

Hours later, he added: "It's sad anytime this happens in any community. I want our local folks to know that we're taking it as serious as we can take it."

justus4
justus4 08/31/09 - 05:19 am
The cops from that county are

The cops from that county are not prepared for this one. Too many mistakes being made in the first hours and to say, ol' Guy is not a "suspect" defies logic. Isn't "person of interest" the catch-all phrase used by those big city police? And going on to say, "I'm 100% certain what happened" and "I am 100% certain I know how it happened" are questionable statements. Eight dead bodies, looks like they were shot with guns, so everyone agrees with those facts 100 percent. And some enhanced interrogation methods applied to ol' Guy might be a productive course of action.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/31/09 - 05:37 am
WOW! That is crazy. I smell

WOW! That is crazy. I smell Meth in all this.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/31/09 - 06:31 am
What is the " White

What is the " White Community" going to do about these type crimes" Almost 99% of these crimes are committed by Whites. They were probably all Meth Heads.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/31/09 - 06:32 am
What kind of name is " Guy"?

What kind of name is " Guy"?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/31/09 - 06:43 am
LaTwon is this change we can

LaTwon is this change we can count on?

Bored in GA
Bored in GA 08/31/09 - 07:07 am
ispy4u..Guy in some times has

ispy4u..Guy in some times has been a respectful name ..wake up you are out here!! That is really no bearing on this case and what kind of name is ispy!!

Pu239
Pu239 08/31/09 - 07:12 am
Somewhere there is a bridge

Somewhere there is a bridge looking for it's TROLL

dashiel
dashiel 08/31/09 - 07:19 am
...and somewhere an English

...and somewhere an English teacher is holding a gun to her head...

augsaltwater
augsaltwater 08/31/09 - 07:51 am
Not saying this is happening

Not saying this is happening but if it were me I would use the media as a tool. Make this "person of interest" feel a little more comfortable as a non suspect. Make everyone involved feel at ease, like the police have no idea who they are, all the while the police are just gathering evidence waiting to make sure this person(s) go away for a long long time. I mean would someone seriously lie to the media? No way, really? If you know who the suspect(s) are, and you release that info to people like the AC who wont get the story straight anyway, what do you think the suspect(s) are going to do, hang out in town and order a pizza or run like hell? I do agree that this all sounds like a meth head owed someone some serious cash.

andywarhol
andywarhol 08/31/09 - 07:58 am
What is the white community

What is the white community going to do about this? Nothing! I'm not worried about this guy or his family when I'm at walmart at night or if I'm at the ATM. Out of a dozen killings and other violent crimes each week committed by young black men, I'm not too concerned about one crazy white guy.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/31/09 - 08:05 am
Ispy4u, the black community

Ispy4u, the black community just chooses to peck a few off each day, not really any mass killing but at the end of the year United States wide, blacks killing other blacks still adds up to more numbers than these mass killings. The comment you made was really ridiculous. Any killing is sad and uncalled for regardless of race.

LolaJean
LolaJean 08/31/09 - 08:14 am
I hope they find this POS

I hope they find this [filtered word]whatever color he or she is. And ispy4u, you dont want to get into a stastical black vs. white killing contest do you?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/31/09 - 08:21 am
ispy4u....what kind of name

ispy4u....what kind of name is "Guy? I'll tell you, it's a name that invokes loving thoughts, it is a name dearly loved by my family that has been passed down through generations. Both my father, my son, and my great nephew have the name "Guy" as their middle names and my great nephew is called by it instead of his first name. Most of your comments on here are lame and today you just proved how much of a jerk you are.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/31/09 - 08:46 am
Heck ispy4u, 8 wouldn't even

Heck ispy4u, 8 wouldn't even be an unusual night in Atl. as far as blacks killing blacks.

donnymack
donnymack 08/31/09 - 09:10 am
Is it possible that the

Is it possible that the Police have Guy in protective custody because he does know what went down? It is a tactic that works pretty darn good and makes the killers get loose lips.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 08/31/09 - 09:45 am
Hopefully the GBI is handling

Hopefully the GBI is handling the crime scene.

cparker
cparker 08/31/09 - 09:48 am
This is a very sad situation,

This is a very sad situation, but as I have said forever on this site.... Immorality has no race, no gender, and no address. We are foolish to believe race supercedes violence. Murder is a violent act that hurts everyone in the community regardless of their race.

slmpaquin
slmpaquin 08/31/09 - 10:09 am
All of you Augusta people

All of you Augusta people need to keep your comments to yourself. I live in South Georgia and things like this do not happen down here that frequently!!! You need to look at the amount of crime that happens there and take care of your own. That is why I left 5 years ago!!!

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/31/09 - 10:16 am
LOL....@angie....stupis is as

LOL....@angie....stupis is as stupid does (says)

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/31/09 - 11:53 am
Actually, "Guy" is French, as

Actually, "Guy" is French, as in Guy de Maupassant, the French author. The French pronouce it "gee", with a hard "g". It sounds like the Indian name for clarified butter, "ghee". In Italian, the name "Guy" is "Guido". Any more typically stupid, irrelevant questions, ISPY?

mable8
mable8 08/31/09 - 11:56 am
No matter who commits the

No matter who commits the crime, murder is one of the most heinous that is committed on a daily basis. Who cares whether the victims are black or white--they are human beings. And who cares if the perpetrator is black or white--they have taken the role of judge, jury, and executioner in their quest for blood-letting and deserve the punishment meted out at the end of the trial. There is no excuse for committing criminal acts anymore than there is an excuse towards showing contempt towards others based on "color."

tyrianna
tyrianna 08/31/09 - 12:23 pm
8 people is dead! Why do

8 people is dead! Why do every topic generates some type of racial response. In your everyday conversations do you just sit around and say,"that's black people for you. or that white people for you." I can't imagine how much grief the familes are feeling right now. Think on that.

irish62009
irish62009 08/31/09 - 02:35 pm
Excuse me, simpaguin,but is

Excuse me, simpaguin,but is Brunswick not in southwest Gerogia,if not it certainly is not Augusta.Did you forget to take your medication this morning?When you take out large numbers of human beings it really does matter where you are,it happens everywhere.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/31/09 - 02:45 pm
Actually, Brunswick is in

Actually, Brunswick is in Southeast Ga.

jusanote
jusanote 08/31/09 - 03:35 pm
Although there are a lot of

Although there are a lot of good comments on different issues in this forum, sometimes I find the ignorance of some of them almost impossible to believe! I would like to remind everyone who made a comment regarding race or spelling errors in response to this story of one thing: EIGHT PEOPLE WERE SLAUGHTERED IN THEIR OWN RESIDENCE! Who cares about what color they were or whether the name Guy is acceptable. I think that it is very sad that people can actually be so de-sensitized to this type of violence that the comments are so trivial! Please consider that this could have happened to your family and show some respect for the loss of eight lives!

pommom38
pommom38 08/31/09 - 04:02 pm
It just keeps getting better

It just keeps getting better and better. What's on tap for tomorrow's crime spree? About 15 killed at once? It's an every single day thing now and don't see it ending anytime soon.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/31/09 - 04:08 pm
I am amazed how anytime

I am amazed how anytime ASITIS, APEX and everyone else bring up the " Black Community", their comments are never deleted. I put that comment out there on purpose to prove that point. Thank you Chronicle for not disappointing me.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/31/09 - 04:14 pm
Fiat, my comment was made and

Fiat, my comment was made and directed at idiots like you that come on here day after day making comments about people name or what the " Black Community" is going to do about this or that. The same hypocrites that complained about the word " African American", yet you have no problem with separating crime by race. So look in the mirror when you direct your comments to me. All I did was place " White Community" where you all normally put " Black Community". Hello to all you " POTS" out there.

The Big O
The Big O 08/31/09 - 04:25 pm
ispy4u - why should the term

ispy4u - why should the term "black community" be deleted?

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/31/09 - 04:38 pm
My comment that was deleted

My comment that was deleted reversed the typical daily comments by posters like ASITIS that always make reference to what the " Black Community" was going to do about crime. Any time the suspect was Black, posters like him would ask that question. Today, I reversed it and asked " What was the White Community" going to do about this crime. I will be the first to say that it was very tasteless but I did so to prove a point. None of the posters that made their little snide comments towards me has ever made them with the situation was reversed. All you have to do is wait and see when the next article come.