Stamen Medical faces Medicare fraud probe

In an affidavit for a search warrant unsealed Wednesday, a federal agent laid out why a Martinez businessman is suspected of Medicare fraud and other crimes.

Agents raided Stamen Medical Systems on Aug. 19, removing records and copies of the content on the business' computers.

According to the search warrant's affidavit, Joseph Testino is suspected of fraud in billing Medicare nearly $3 million between 2007 and 2009 for vacuum erection devices, a treatment for erectile dysfunction.

Special Agent David J. Graupner of the Department of Health and Human Services wrote that Stamen Medical has been the focus of a criminal investigation since November, when another federal agent allegedly could not get a straight answer about who owned Stamen Medical.

After Mr. Testino filed for divorce, investigators contacted Tanya Testino, who told them that she was listed as the company's owner in name only and that Mr. Testino was the real owner.

As a convicted felon, Mr. Testino would be barred from the federal medical care programs for 10 years after his last conviction, which was in 2003, according to Richmond County Superior Court records.

Agent Graupner's affidavit also alleges Mr. Testino violated Medicare rules by soliciting nonclients.

A former telephone salesman told agents he was instructed to tell potential customers that they could get a replacement device for the one they obtained from Augusta Medical Systems.

Augusta Medical, which had employed Mr. Testino and his partner James R. White, filed a Columbia County Superior Court lawsuit against Mr. Testino and his company. It accused him of taking a list of Augusta Medical clients when he left.

According to the affidavit, a complaint made by a physician to the Department of Health and Human Services also accuses Mr. Testino of requesting the doctor's authorizations for vacuum erection devices for patients who were not being treated for erectile dysfunction.

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/27/09 - 04:03 am
LMAO....is this for real?

LMAO....is this for real?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/27/09 - 05:58 am
I like the name of the

I like the name of the company.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 08/27/09 - 06:32 am
vacuum pumps for erectile

vacuum pumps for erectile dysfunction devices!!!!.. that's gross!!!.. these old hags get down like that!!!.. what a disturbing thought!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/27/09 - 06:46 am
LadyCisback, I know why you

LadyCisback, I know why you and your parter don't like it. You're supposed to take it off before you have sex.

AUGgolf
AUGgolf 08/27/09 - 09:20 am
You people are crazy if you

You people are crazy if you believe this article. The only reason Augusta Medical is mad is because Stamen Medical is doing excellent, and the 2 owners there use to work for Augusta Medical. I have a family member that works for Stamen, and they are doing fine. The truth will come out

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/27/09 - 09:51 am
stamen..testino...........lol

stamen..testino...........lol

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/27/09 - 09:59 am
"erectile dysfunction"

"erectile dysfunction" whenever else would I be able to say something like this and not be banned for it here? LMAO dma-I hear ya....so many things came to mind-none of which I could post......lol

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/27/09 - 02:10 pm
It's a prickly subject for

It's a prickly subject for Mr. Testino.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/27/09 - 03:15 pm
Maybe he did this because he

Maybe he did this because he was hard-up?

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 08/27/09 - 03:34 pm
Sounds like Stamen was

Sounds like Stamen was sucking profits from Augusta Medical.

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/27/09 - 03:40 pm
ROFL-ya'll...........KILL....

ROFL-ya'll...........KILL.................me!

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 08/27/09 - 03:42 pm
We don't know all the facts

We don't know all the facts yet, and when you don't have all the facts it can cause premature speculation.

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/27/09 - 03:43 pm
again.......

again.......

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 08/27/09 - 03:52 pm
I am so glad that didn't get

I am so glad that didn't get removed...when these stories present themselves it's easy to get performance posting anxiety

geddyman
geddyman 08/27/09 - 04:20 pm
The allegations are completly

The allegations are completly false and mr. testino is a great man who knows how to run a great company. Augusta med is mad b/c they don't know how to compete with the business mind of JOE TESTINO!!!! Stamen medical will not go anywhere but up, and those who know what's good should jump on and join the winning team!

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 08/27/09 - 04:29 pm
I am not sure I want to hitch

I am not sure I want to hitch my wagon to the business mind last convicted in 2003. But geddyman is trying to pump up some support.

corgimom
corgimom 08/27/09 - 04:31 pm
THETRUTH, when the Feds come

THETRUTH, when the Feds come after you for Medicare fraud, it's not because another company is mad at you. Remember Healthmaster? You need to tell your family member that they need to be prepared, this probably won't turn out well.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 08/27/09 - 05:55 pm
premature ejaculation..

premature ejaculation..

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 08/27/09 - 07:43 pm
Let me get this

Let me get this straight...... Stamen Medical, who specializes in appliances for erectile dysfunction is getting probed???? I can't breathe!!! I'm laughing too hard!!!!!

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/27/09 - 07:50 pm
why are my tax dollars paying

why are my tax dollars paying for "erector sets"?

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 08/27/09 - 07:58 pm
Atctaylorb, not only are our

Atctaylorb, not only are our tax dollars paying for the 'erector sets', but we are paying for the' probe' as well.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 08/27/09 - 10:08 pm
this is too disturbing!!

this is too disturbing!!

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 08/27/09 - 10:08 pm
this is too disturbing!!

this is too disturbing!!

AUGgolf
AUGgolf 08/28/09 - 12:47 pm
CORGIMOM....I do not need to

CORGIMOM....I do not need to be prepared for anything. First of all the FBI did some things that they will not regret, but it will all come back on Augusta Medical and those sorry selfish people over there. Why get mad at a person that has turn his life around to help others, and now has a very successful business. AMS should push hard and advertise or do whatever it takes to get there business back up and jumping! Stamen will be fine

corgimom
corgimom 08/28/09 - 05:13 pm
THETRUTH, I don't think you

THETRUTH, I don't think you understand the difference between a civil lawsuit and a FEDERAL INVESTIGATION and search warrant. It's like comparing a goldfish to an elephant. This has nothing to do with Augusta Medical. You just don't get it. Medicare fraud has nothing to do with whether or not Augusta Medical is "mad" or "happy". I am telling you, these Federal investigations never turn out well, the Testinos are in the middle of a terrible divorce and the exwife is willing to testify against her exhusband, and your family member needs to be extremely concerned about their future, because the Feds don't play. I don't know what else to tell you.

nativeofaugusta
nativeofaugusta 08/28/09 - 08:08 pm
It appears that we just need

It appears that we just need to sit back and let the FBI do their jobs. They will soon uncover anything necessary to reveal the truth about Robert White and Joe Testino.
If there is evidence to be found, I trust that the FBI~ with the level of intelligence they hire~ will locate information to lead to correct discipline of these business men.
It is interesting how the focus of these comments are directed to another company. Let's focus on the problem at hand. Obviously, there are concerns with illegal operations of a specific business, namely ~ Stamen Medical. The FBI does not raid businesses without proper research and documentation supporting their allegations.

Irish
Irish 08/29/09 - 09:32 am
Nammy, they'll probably get

Nammy, they'll probably get off....the evidence won't stand up in court.....

corgimom
corgimom 08/29/09 - 11:03 am
Medicare fraud is easy to

Medicare fraud is easy to prove. And the Federal Justice Department can be very vindictive. If they are investigating Medicare fraud, they usually win.

gcap
gcap 08/29/09 - 11:29 am
If convicted, I'll bet the

If convicted, I'll bet the perpetrators will get a stiff sentence, do some hard time.

KSL
KSL 08/29/09 - 12:43 pm
Thanks, Irish.

Thanks, Irish.

Man reports McCormick attack

A South Carolina man told police three men attempted to sexually assault him and then shot at him while he was bicycling in McCormick County late Saturday.