Insane abuse

We were curious about spleen injuries, so we did some research. They most commonly occur in sports injuries, car wrecks and fights.

Nowhere in the literature did we find mention of spleen injuries from the judicious disciplining of toddlers.

That's because the physical disciplining of toddlers, especially the younger ones, is not only wrongheaded, it's abusive.

Take the case of a 1-year-old Augusta boy, who recently received welts and bruises and even a ruptured spleen from a belt-whipping allegedly at the hands of his father.

What can a 1-year-old learn that a belt can teach him?

One-year-olds are learning the language. They're in the early stages of learning the properties of nature, how people interact, how they themselves are to act. They have very little to go on at that age. They can, and must be, forgiven for not knowing much.

Taking a belt to them is just insane.

What did this boy's father think? That after four or five lashes he would stop crying and say, "You know, you're right and I'm wrong. I'm terribly sorry." Physical pain will only make an unknowing child cry all the more -- making the irrational parent whip him all the more. It's a toxic circle.

Actually, the sponges that we know as 1-year-olds are, indeed, learning every second. What this boy learned from an abusive adult, no child should have to know.

Thankfully, the boy should be fine, at least physically; it's amazing what treatment will do, for a ruptured spleen is potentially fatal.

We're wondering, though, what science -- perhaps the branch of parapsychology? -- can do for someone dim enough to whip a child hard enough to rupture internal organs.

Not much, we imagine.

demented dave
demented dave 08/26/09 - 12:35 am
Parapsychology?

Parapsychology? Parapsychology? Are you kidding me? Look, don't use terms if you don't know what they mean. Parapsychology.... sheeeeshh.

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/26/09 - 02:18 am
I imagine they just meant

I imagine they just meant psychology. But I do hope this "haunts" this father for life.

opiner
opiner 08/26/09 - 04:27 am
Does the ACES suggest death

Does the ACES suggest death for this father?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/26/09 - 04:40 am
I THINK the use of the word

I THINK the use of the word "parapsychology" refers to Psi meaning coming from the soul. In other words, what evil could come from his soul to make him do such a thing?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/26/09 - 05:51 am
BS, there are no words to be

BS, there are no words to be used..Kill the [filtered word]today!

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 08/26/09 - 07:27 am
Good grief, I was just

Good grief, I was just exaggerating for effect. I did have this sense that some of you wouldn't get it...

Rhetor
Rhetor 08/26/09 - 07:51 am
Indeed, this kind of child

Indeed, this kind of child abuse is an appalling crime.

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/26/09 - 10:39 am
michael.ryan.....the term

michael.ryan.....the term needed here for all the word nazis continually looking for "mistakes" made by the author is quite simple................ It's Whoosh !

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/26/09 - 10:59 am
Hahaha....everyone is getting

Hahaha....everyone is getting testy today. We need some Roschart tests and a parapsychologist's sofa for some analysis today. But I took up for Mike...I got it...I think. Heh. He still needs a proofreader some days though. That's my job. We all have to have something to do.

jack
jack 08/26/09 - 11:52 am
Let me have this [filtered word] for

Let me have this [filtered word] for awhile. I hope they take the baby and put him in a good foster home and some one decent and good adopts him.

corgimom
corgimom 08/26/09 - 04:48 pm
The AC has sunk to a new low.

The AC has sunk to a new low. Parapsychology? Does the AC think it happened by ghosts, for God's sake? The AC didn't look too far. It's not as hard as you think to accidently rupture a child's spleen. It can happen to any parent- all the child has to do is fall down on something at just the right spot and it will happen. (Although usually it's the result of being punched or kicked, it can happen by accident.) Too bad they didn't bother to call a pediatric surgeon before they made an absolute FOOL of theirself.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/26/09 - 05:17 pm
Corgimom, huh?

Corgimom, huh?

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 08/26/09 - 05:35 pm
Corgimom, you are an idiot.

Corgimom, you are an idiot. Your statement does not make sense. And...it's accidentally and themselves. There is no such word as "theirsellf".