Forgive and forget with Michael Vick

I want first of all to let the readers know who I am and why I am writing about Michael Vick's story.

I am a retired, disabled veteran of both Korea and Vietnam; served in the Army from 1950 to 1971; and retired after serving 21 years honorably. I served my country, and I am proud of it; I loved my country when it did not love me back, so I ask those who will read this letter do so with an open mind.

Michael Vick did a terrible, cruel thing to those helpless animals, and there is no denying that. However, I recall some crimes much more cruel that were done against black Americans.

Take the case of Emmitt Till, beaten perhaps near death by white men and was thrown into a reservoir with a cotton gin fan around his neck, and perhaps he was alive when this was done to him.

Or the young black man in Jasper County, Texas, dragged behind a truck alive until his body was torn apart. Or the young people who were simply trying to register blacks to vote, most likely buried in a dam area in Mississippi. People who did all this are alive and well today.

My point in telling these stories is that very rarely has a white person been put to death for killing a black person.

I don't condone what Vick did; however, at least our laws have seen to it that Vick was tried and convicted in a court of law for what he did. So to those including The Augusta Chronicle I ask: Do you have another agenda on why you can't forgive Michael Vick? Is it because he is young, gifted and black and demands big bucks for his services? Remember, God forgave Moses even though he murdered an Egyptian soldier.

So I want to say to all my black and white brothers and sisters: Let's try to forgive and forget. It took a long time for me but God blessed me to forget the difference on what I fought for and what I received when I came home from Korea and Vietnam. God bless America!

Joseph Diggs Sr.

Augusta

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 08/25/09 - 02:28 am
Very well said, They need to

Very well said, They need to pray and ask God to teach them how to forgive. I know its hard when its been inbedded in you for so long and you can not ever say what the real reason is, because one part of your brain tells you that your thoughts are wrong, and another tells you to remember who you are, and what you are suppose to believe and say. God bless you, and if you cannot forgive, how do you expect God to forgive you.

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/25/09 - 04:17 am
Gee, Joe, so all this

Gee, Joe, so all this happened to Vick because of his race? Okay, I guess Brian Nichols is totally innocent of killing those 4 people. After all, he's black too. I agree that crimes against blacks were committed, but whites have been the victim of black crimes also, and I don't see you whining about that. You'll next be claiming that whites are responsible for black teenage pregnancies and drug use. I thought Obama's election was all about "change," and bringing people together.

opiner
opiner 08/25/09 - 05:55 am
This country is mostly white

This country is mostly white and is currently being tortured by a Black Marxist for the foolish mistake of giving him power. The torture will continue to take place until the mostly white country takes steps to overcome its mistake. Vick has been punished WAY beyond his crime and he will continue to be abused until he takes steps to overcome his mistake. At this point, he's doing just fine. Whether his torture ends or not is up to him. This country will forgive if he preforms well on and off the field.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/25/09 - 06:21 am
The mostly WHITE country LOL

The mostly WHITE country LOL *FAINTS* did he say mostly WHITE COUNTRY sounds like we have a white nationalist here. I wonder why when they counter protest at marches they have their faces covered?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 08/25/09 - 06:28 am
I don't understand this LTE.

I don't understand this LTE. I can't forgive MV. He did not kill my dog, and did nothing to my family. It's not up to me to forgive at all. No crime was committed against me, and I don't sit in judgment of MV. Forget? Well, the media makes sure no one can forget. The only unforgivable issue in all this is that people are so up in arms about MV killing dogs (as heinous as that is), but most say relatively little about all the innocent, defenseless HUMANS that are murdered each year in abortions. Does Mr. Diggs care that a disproportionate number of black babies are aborted compared to white babies? I would think that the racism inherent in the abortion industry would mean a lot more to Mr. Diggs than how many months a dog killer got in jail. What a sad commentary on the misplaced values of modern culture!

justus4
justus4 08/25/09 - 06:30 am
"Forgive and forget" is

"Forgive and forget" is suggested by the LTE, but the reality is thats impossible. The country was built with the blood of slaves who died working from sunup to sundown. Rape and murder was a constant occurrence, including being sold or lynched. These acts are considered atrocities and are example of inhumame treatment of humans. Vick was tried and convicted for animals abuses, but thousands of murder cases where African-Americans were killed are still today "unsolved." Emmit Till is the most well-known example. Vick imprisioned for animals while murderers of humans walk free among us. Wow! Just like those dogs deserved justice, Well those dead teens and men who were murdered deserve justice, but those responsible think they've gotten away with murder. Vick suffered man's flawed laws, but those known killers, who killed based on race ,will have a different judgement and it probably will be a bit longer. Forgive & forget? HA!

opiner
opiner 08/25/09 - 06:39 am
fruitpa, this country's

fruitpa, this country's population is only about 13% black. That means 87% aren't. Is your laugh and faint of embarrassment still fitting now that you understand?

GaJarrod
GaJarrod 08/25/09 - 07:31 am
What Michael Vick has nothing

What Michael Vick has nothing to do with the color of his skin, and everything to do with sadism and evil. I cannot believe that someone wants to bring up horrible things that happened to blacks in the past, to compare the two, and think that this is a legitimate argument in regard to the heinous disgusting, reprehensible things this man did for his ENTERTAINMENT.

No forgiving here, ever. I will never forget that he hung, drowned, fought, starved, electrocuted and beat dogs to death for his fun, for over SEVEN YEARS. Anyone that sick and disturbed is not going to change just because he spent less than two years in prison, it just won't happen.

I don't forgive those who drug the man behind the truck, nor anyone who ever tortured anyone because of their color, and I don't forgive MV for killing dogs for his pleasure. However, he's not dead is he? He should be, but he isn't. He does not belong in the NFL,

Just because you were in the military, Mr Diggs, it doesn't make your opinion any more valid than anyone else's. And just because Michael Vick is black, it doesn't excuse him from the horrific acts he committed for his entertainment.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 08/25/09 - 08:04 am
Justus, I agree with you.

Justus, I agree with you. But, you're walking a very thin line of hypocrisy. You demand justice for murders of AA's. I totally agree. Yet, you appear to simply look the other way when hundreds, HUNDREDS, of AA's are murdered each year in the abortion industry. How can you muster such righteous judgment over the murder of a relative few, while you totally ignore the disproportionate mass murder of AA children in abortion clinics? Where's your outrage there? Are you in the least upset because a liberal Supreme Court justice (Ginsburg) has openly stated that she thought Roe vs. Wade was a means to keep the population of "undesirables" (i.e., mostly poor AA's) down? I don't disagree with your position for justice, but am very confused by your selected ranting over a comparatively minor issue. The big picture, which deserves your real attention, is being neglected by your emphasis on the few.

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/25/09 - 08:20 am
Hey JACKFRUIT, maybe the same

Hey JACKFRUIT, maybe the same reason Black Panthers wear those dark glasses...makes them feel special. You picked up any white friends yet? You know they'll be there for you. And JUSTUS, with all due respect, it took a Hell of a lot more than slaves to build this country. Yes, African-Americans have been through Hell. My question is, when are you going to stop using that as an excuse for the self destructive behavior many in the African-American community are guilty of now? Bill Cosby told it like it is, and has gotten he butt handed to him by black leaders. Whitey can't be the reason for all your problems. We don't cause your teenage girls to get pregnant, or boys to steal, deal drugs, or vandalize. You keep whining about history, Justus. See just how many problems for your race that solves.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/25/09 - 09:03 am
Thanks for speaking for "

Thanks for speaking for " Black leaders", however I missed the part where Bill Cosby had his " Butt handed" to him. Bill Cosby like everyone else is entitled to his opinions. His opinions carries no more weight than your or mine, at least in the personal arena. If I wanted advice about acting, then okay.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/25/09 - 09:03 am
Forgive, yes. Forget, hell

Forgive, yes. Forget, hell no. He's a convicted felon who's done his time. Now let him live like other convicted felons live. He doesn't deserve a special second chance, even if he is a "valuable commodity" to professional football.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/25/09 - 09:06 am
" Blacky" cannot be the

" Blacky" cannot be the reason for all of your problems. I hope you know that the things you mentioned like teenage pregnancy, stealing, dealing drugs, vandalizing, rape and murders, are not exclusive to one particular race?

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/25/09 - 09:07 am
I did not realize that Vick

I did not realize that Vick asked for a " special second chance"? I must be watching the wrong channel.

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/25/09 - 09:39 am
Well, ISPY, check the NAACP

Well, ISPY, check the NAACP conference in which Mr. Cosby was invited. When he started telling them facts they didn't like hearing, then director Kweisi Mfume informed him that problems in Black America weren't a "self-inflicted wound." I don't speak for black leaders, ISPY, but I sure heard the crap Bill Cosby took when he did nothing but speak the truth. And yes, I agree, crime is in all races. The difference is, I don't see white criminals claiming it's all the fault of blacks. You can blame white people all you like, but it won't solve the problems of Black America. Sorry the truth offends you.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/25/09 - 09:49 am
For Joe and ISPY, since

For Joe and ISPY, since you're citing both horrific specifics and generalizations about crime, you should know that the number of violent black on white crimes is exponentially greater (as in 15 TIMES GREATER) than violent white on black crime. [see link to Dept of Justice statistics: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus9902.pdf, tables 62, 46, 48.] That means for every 3 black people attacked by whites, 45 white people were attacked by blacks. When it comes to rape, the black on white occurence is 100 times higher than white on black; for robbery, black on white is 139 times higher than white on black. What happened to Emmet Till and so many other black people in years gone by is a horrible stain on our nation's history and legacy, but what about what's happening now? Everything is set up to make excuses and justify everything about black culture and social behavior, with only a few brave souls, like Bill Cosby, ever calling for black self reliance and social responsibility. People like Vick ultimately are given a pass and allowed to continue with their lives as if no crime had ever happened. Please, explain to me how that is good for anyone in society, black or white.

The Time is Now
The Time is Now 08/25/09 - 09:51 am
The parents that had their

The parents that had their kids in the woods using the bathroom outside going hungry, not washing, or eating, were teaching them it was okay. They did not realize the way they were living was wrong until they were taken out of that environment and shown another way. The children of the polygamist colony that were living that lifestyle saw nothing wrong with it because again that's the way they were raised. I say that to say this, nobody's perfect&#0133but once you're taught better I expect a change. If you see him in the news killing dogs this week then be [filtered word], but give the man a chance to learn from his mistakes. These same self righteous judgers cheat on their taxes, their wives or husbands, park in handicapped parking, abuse, molest, or neglect their children, and/or steal from their jobs, but those are just 'little' sins right?!

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/25/09 - 09:51 am
It's not the truth and it

It's not the truth and it does not offend me. What offend me is that some like yourself think that by putting crimes in categories based on race, some how makes a difference. It does not. Crime is a national problem that affects all races. If you really think that the race of the suspects makes a difference to the victims, then I pity you. I could careless if this race or that race commits more of this crime or that crime. Until we come to an understanding that crime crosses all boundaries, we will never put a dent in it. Also, since I am not a member of the NAACP they do not speak for me. Sorry to disappoint you. I guess who a criminal blames him/her crimes on matters to you since you are quoting them?

The Time is Now
The Time is Now 08/25/09 - 09:54 am
Dog fighting and rooster

Dog fighting and rooster fighting are thought to be acceptable in some communities. That doesn't make it right but if that is what you grow up around, you do not know better until you are taught better. Deer and duck hunting are both sports that are as deplorable as dog fighting yet they are acceptable because they have a season. I can understand in the past people would kill these animals for food, but I challenge you to take a poll, how many take it home to eat versus taking it home to mount.

The Time is Now
The Time is Now 08/25/09 - 09:54 am
If the man was never going to

If the man was never going to be given a chance why put him in jail. If everyone is going to continue to judge, you could have simply taken his job away and let him survive by his own means with the money he had. He had to give almost one million dollars to the care of these dogs, really. It's other worthwhile charities he could have contributed to that would've helped more than the dogs (or the people that are taking care the dogs).

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/25/09 - 09:55 am
Justus, what is it that you

Justus, what is it that you really want? Would it satisfy you if every white person came and apologized to you and gave you everything they own in reparation for what some dead people did or may have done to some black people a very long time ago? Do you just want to kill us all because we are white and some white people were bad? Do you even understand what racial hatred is? What about all the evil black people, the ones like you who hate whites and think of them as tagets for rape, murder and robbery? You really and truly need help because you are sick.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/25/09 - 09:56 am
If you call spending time in

If you call spending time in jail and forfeiting 10s of millions of dollars a pass, I hate to see what an unfair sentence in your mind would be. I have never known one single person to be murdered, raped, robbed or molested by a statistic. I know you will like this, just like guns do not kill people, neither does statistics.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/25/09 - 10:00 am
Do some of you really believe

Do some of you really believe that the majority of any particular race targeted their victims based of the race of the victim? I am sure that some do but those same stats will show you that most are a crime of opportunity and not a group of racists getting together to target each other. Man!!!!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/25/09 - 10:04 am
Prison is punishment, Time,

Prison is punishment, Time, not a chance to change. If he changes his life, good for him, but a crime changes things forever. Sometimes the change is big, sometimes not so big. If a priest commits sexual abuse, it is considered light years worse than if an ordinary heathen does it. Same for anyone given the public spotlight, like Vick. He shouldn't get to go back to the same comfortable life he had before any more than a priest should be re-instated after he's done his time. Some crimes, especially done by a full-grown adult, so and should cost you for a lifetime in some way or other. Be sorry doesn't make it just disappear.

PAW
PAW 08/25/09 - 10:06 am
It was just a STUPID

It was just a STUPID dog....not a human. STOP shooting DEER

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/25/09 - 10:10 am
Actually, ISPY, since you

Actually, ISPY, since you apparently don't know how to interpret statistics like this, I will tell you that only 45% of violent crimes commited by blacks were against whites. The majority, according to the report I cited, were commited against other blacks. It's just that whites are far more likely to be attacked, raped or robbed by a black person than a black person is to suffer the same crime commited by a white. In other words, the point of the statistics is that blacks have a lot less to fear from whites than the reverse. S0, perhaps all the paranoia and hatred from blacks is misplaced and not justified.

The Time is Now
The Time is Now 08/25/09 - 10:20 am
People love to say, the

People love to say, the horrible things that happened to AAs are in the past and people should let it go, but I believe the past is the foundation the future is built on. Wealth is passed down from generation to generation, and the mindset of people is also passed down from generation to generation. Why do you think Willie Lynch's teachings included killing the biggest and baddest slave at the time by tying the limbs to 4 horses and pulling him apart?! It was so mothers would teach their children to be obedient and do as the masters asked to prevent this same fate. AAs that showed the strength to endure, the ability to learn, and the leadership to take a stand were killed by a fearful people afraid of an uprising. Afraid that if AAs gained knowledge, than the whites would have to live off what they worked for by their own hands. Once freedom was given to slaves, they still were disregarded as humans, cheated out of pay and made to live sub-human standards. When some AAs overcame the odds and started their own community, they were wiped out by jealous whites (aka Black Wallstreet) .

The Time is Now
The Time is Now 08/25/09 - 10:20 am
Drugs, pregnancy, and

Drugs, pregnancy, and violence are not exclusive to AA culture however, reporting of these as well as reprimanding for seem to be so.

jewel
jewel 08/25/09 - 10:26 am
Mr. Diggs, Vick will be fine.

Mr. Diggs, Vick will be fine. The rest of the world won't.

Jade26
Jade26 08/25/09 - 10:44 am
I don't even like dogs. This

I don't even like dogs. This man cannot be in the presence of a dog for the rest of his life without someone having something to say. If he walks past 2 dogs and they start barking he may as well report to federal prison. If a dog runs in front of his car and he hits it he will get a Murder Charge. They were just dogs. It wasn't like he was fighting toddlers in UFC cages!!!!!!