Richmond County tests Honda motorcycles

Honda or Harley-Davidson?

Back | Next
Richmond County sheriff's deputies ride down Reynolds Street on the new Honda model (left) and the office's current Harley-Davidson. Deputies want to determine which is cheaper to use.  John Curry/Staff
John Curry/Staff

Richmond County sheriff's deputies are testing two Honda ST 1300 motorcycles to see whether they are cheaper to operate and repair than the current fleet of road bikes, which are Harley-Davidsons.

Their 10 Harley-Davidsons are air-cooled. At slow speeds or while idling they can overheat and cause maintenance problems. The water-cooled Hondas might be cheaper in the long run, Lt. Scott Gay said.

"When we are at a funeral or a parade where they are driving at slow speeds there's not a lot of air circulating to cool the motorcycles off," he said. "With the water-cooled there's a constant flow of water that cools it off."

Lt. Gay said the sheriff's office will evaluate the performance of the new motorcycles at three-month and six-month intervals. If they work out, he said, the bikes could eventually replace the Harleys.

"Traditionally, everyone has always bought the Harley-Davidsons," he said. "It's an economic decision."

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 08/22/09 - 02:52 am
From what I have seen they go

From what I have seen they go pretty darn fast during the funerals, racing from one light to the other. I know this same article was done a few weeks ago. I guess they are hurtin for news. There goes another American company to the Japs.

opiner
opiner 08/22/09 - 05:38 am
While the Hondas are liquid

While the Hondas are liquid cooled, I don't believe the coolant is water. They are also shaft driven which lessens the vibration of the chain drive system and lessens the damage to the bike. Competition is always good.

MLB1701
MLB1701 08/22/09 - 06:47 am
just buy richmond county a

just buy richmond county a few pickup trucks. then the officers and thier harleys can go for a ride!

andywarhol
andywarhol 08/22/09 - 07:14 am
The current HDs are not a

The current HDs are not a chain drive. Also, water cooled is the common term for bikes that are cooled with anti-freeze coolant. Good by HD. Although I ride one, I know Honda will test much cheaper than the current fleet.

Lumbarsupport
Lumbarsupport 08/22/09 - 07:39 am
Another innovation to the

Another innovation to the police by Lt. Gay, when are his talents going to be recognized?

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 08/22/09 - 08:10 am
Be American, buy American.

Be American, buy American.

Citizen_B
Citizen_B 08/22/09 - 08:12 am
Buy American.

Buy American.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 08/22/09 - 08:16 am
I have a buddy that is a RC

I have a buddy that is a RC motorcycle cop. I talked to him and a few other riders at a funeral. They love the Hondas. I think they will replace the Harleys in the next few years.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 08/22/09 - 08:31 am
Ahh, I love the smell of

Ahh, I love the smell of protectionism in the morning. If the Hondas suit their needs better, buy them. If enough depts do this, Harley will make a change to compete. It's the AMERICAN way.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 08/22/09 - 08:43 am
Honda out performs American

Honda out performs American brands. They build better products.

Mike_Futrell
Mike_Futrell 08/22/09 - 08:46 am
Doesn't the HD cost more than

Doesn't the HD cost more than the Honda?

westaugustashopper
westaugustashopper 08/22/09 - 08:53 am
This is "un AMERICAN"

This is "un AMERICAN"

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 08/22/09 - 09:11 am
What is un American?

What is un American? Admitting the truth, that honda makes a better product?

egan01
egan01 08/22/09 - 09:13 am
Hondas are mzde in the US

Hondas are mzde in the US

stadry
stadry 08/22/09 - 10:16 am
those motorcycles're made in

those motorcycles're made in ohio & exported to the world.

imdstuf
imdstuf 08/22/09 - 11:07 am
If the motorcycle cops handle

If the motorcycle cops handle their bikes the same way the other officers handle their cars it will not matter the brand. They will rag them out carelessly regardless.

disssman
disssman 08/22/09 - 12:03 pm
These are very nice bikes. I

These are very nice bikes. I would have liked to see what we (taxpayers) paid for them compared to HD? The only problem from a funding stand point is, with a mixture of parts to stock we loose money. If they want Honda then but Honda, but be forewarned the ST1300PA is already under recall and HD probably has recalls also. If we were worried about road work and its cost, we would be buying hybrids to save some real money. I still don't see why we need a top of the line Ford or GMC for a radar unit when a volkswagon would be a far cheaper option.

TCB22
TCB22 08/22/09 - 12:06 pm
Falls Church makes sarcastic

Falls Church makes sarcastic remarks about Scott Gay every chance he gets. Why is that? Either professional jealousy or he has arrested you for something. Everyone should aspire to be like Scott Gay. He's a good man and excellent LEO.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/22/09 - 01:00 pm
i like the look of the

i like the look of the harleys better

iluvcollardgreens
iluvcollardgreens 08/22/09 - 01:15 pm
Thats the Idea richmond

Thats the Idea richmond county whos needs those american made motorcycles.This will be another way to funnel tax payers money to some asian country.

rockymckee
rockymckee 08/22/09 - 01:55 pm
Honda's are no longer

Honda's are no longer produced in Ohio. They are back in Japan. I'll take my Harley anyday over Japanese garbage.

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 08/22/09 - 02:44 pm
I can see why they are

I can see why they are considering the shift due to costs and the smoother running engine for the folks on them 12 hours a day. But I'll stick to our beloved air-cooled V-twins. "Better my daughter in a whorehouse than my son on a Honda". That's about all I got to say about what I'll be riding.

strugglingcollegestudent
strugglingcollegestudent 08/22/09 - 03:03 pm
if it saves tax payer money

if it saves tax payer money in the end, then why complain? so what if it's not "American" made, HD would have went out of business anyways if it wasn't for EFI.

yankeeinevans
yankeeinevans 08/22/09 - 03:17 pm
Lets face it, Honda makes a

Lets face it, Honda makes a better product that has a better ROI than HD. Smart choice.

strugglingcollegestudent
strugglingcollegestudent 08/22/09 - 03:20 pm
I prefer my suzuki, i'll save

I prefer my suzuki, i'll save the HD for my mid-life crisis.

UrbanMeyerHater
UrbanMeyerHater 08/22/09 - 03:22 pm
Un American is building a

Un American is building a cheap axx motorcycle and expecting you to buy it due to that fact. Parts are made in Japan.

Lumbarsupport
Lumbarsupport 08/22/09 - 03:46 pm
I'm tired of people accusing

I'm tired of people accusing me of being disrespectful to anyone on the police department, much less Lt. Gay. I like most laymen are in awe of how much he does for the police. I think those that are disrespectful of him are fools. Where were they when he was working long night shifts, and on weekends and holidays? Where were they when he was putting in long hours as a sergeant on a patrol shift? Disrespectful, No sir, I am in awe of him. I wish that I could get as far in my job, as he has in his, just on sheer ability, leadership, and hard work.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 08/22/09 - 04:16 pm
Another consideration is

Another consideration is service. Augusta HD takes care of the RCSD and CCSD Harley fleets. Can they get the same service from whoever sells them the Hondas? Come to think of it, I haven't seen the CC Beemer on the road lately. Has it been removed from service? If so, I wonder why? Probably service related. Oh wait, I think it got wrecked. I bet they replaced it with a Harley.

strugglingcollegestudent
strugglingcollegestudent 08/22/09 - 05:06 pm
Rogue, how much is labor an

Rogue, how much is labor an hour at HD of Augusta? William Harley and Arthur Davidson themselves probably wouldn't get a discount. If i'm not mistaken, I believe its close to $79.00 an hour.

Pu239
Pu239 08/22/09 - 09:07 pm
Next thing ya know deputy's

Next thing ya know deputy's will have those cute little (insert sarcasm here) SMART cars for T cars. Guess the MC patrol will be on scooters. (eyeroll)

Weekly crime map, database

Violent crimes for the past week included 102 assaults, four of which was classified as aggravated assaults. The most assaults in a single day, 22, occurred on Aug. 17.