Vick says he cried in prison

NEW YORK - Michael Vick says he cried in prison because of the guilt he felt about being involved in dogfighting, and was disgusted with himself for allowing it to happen.

In an interview with "60 Minutes" that aired Sunday night, Vick said the day he walked into prison he realized "the magnitude of the decisions that I made.

"And, you know, it's no way of, you know, explaining, you know, the hurt and the guilt that I felt. And that was the reason I cried so many nights. And that put it all into perspective," he said.

A three-time Pro Bowl pick during six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, Vick served 18 months in federal prison for running a dogfighting ring and was reinstated last month by the NFL after being out of action since 2006.

He signed with the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday.

"I let myself down, you know, not being out on the football field, being in a prison bed, in a prison bunk, writing letters home, you know," he said. "That wasn't my life. That wasn't the way that things was supposed to be. And all because of the so-called culture that I thought was right - that I thought it was cool. And I thought it was, you know, it was fun, and it was exciting at the time. It all led to me laying in a prison bunk by myself with no one to talk to but myself."

Vick said he blamed only himself for landing in prison and deserved to lose the $135 million contract that made him the NFL's highest paid player.

"I was disgusted, you know, because of what I let happen to those animals," he said. "I could've put a stop to it. I could've walked away from it. I could've shut the whole operation down."

Vick said he initially lied about being involved in dogfighting because he realized his career was in jeopardy.

"I felt the guilt and I knew I was guilty, and I knew what I had done," he said. "And, not knowing at the time that, you know, actually telling the truth may have been better than, you know, not being honest. And it backfired on me tremendously."

Vick also admitted that his reputation as a player that didn't work hard and relied mostly on his athletic ability was warranted.

"I was lazy. You know, I was the last guy in the building, first guy out," Vick said. "I know that. You know, I hear everything that people say. And that hurt me when I heard that, but I know it was true."

55 F-100
55 F-100 08/17/09 - 07:24 am
The only remorse Con-Vick has

The only remorse Con-Vick has is the fact that he got caught. He is still the same hood-rat thug that he has always been. The NFL should have banned the convicted felon for life.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/17/09 - 09:38 am
He may have had some kind of

He may have had some kind of epiphany and he may have changed, and good for him if he did. He still should have been banned for life from professional sports. Some actions put such a stain on a person than it doesn't just disappear because they're sorry about what they did. You may be genuinely sorry you got drunk and jumped off your roof, but your neck is still broken and you are still paralyzed. Some consequences do--and should--last the rest of a person's life.

b1
b1 08/17/09 - 10:09 am
I saw the interview last

I saw the interview last night and was hoping to see a changed man. That was not the case. 55 F-100 is right, he's only upset he was caught. He never once looked his interviewer directly in the eyes. Very dissapointing!
I feel the Atlanta Falcons are the ones that truely got burned here. The falcons should get something for this felon.

ANNOITED1
ANNOITED1 08/17/09 - 10:33 am
Why r ya'll so stuck on a dog

Why r ya'll so stuck on a dog fight he was the one that took the biggest lost I'am sure he had to pay a good price for the dogs then to have them fight and get killed that was his money goin down the drain he paid his price there are many athelets that do way more serious crimes than a dog fight and don't get this type of punishment I am glad he was reinstated cause to me dog fighting should not have ended his or no one else career

thankgodforaugusta
thankgodforaugusta 08/17/09 - 10:44 am
He is a felon playing in a

He is a felon playing in a league of felons who cares. However I will admit he is an NBA caliber felon not NFL. At least he'll be off the tax payer dollar.

Lorraine
Lorraine 08/17/09 - 12:32 pm
Vick has a life. So why don't

Vick has a life. So why don't you hypocrites get a life too!

froggy1
froggy1 08/17/09 - 01:29 pm
con-vick has a good ring to

con-vick has a good ring to it!!!!!!!!

jack234
jack234 08/17/09 - 03:34 pm
The only time players are

The only time players are banned from the game is when it involves the game itself. (i.e. Rose betting on baseball) You can abuse 11 children get weekends in jail. She is allowed to continue her career even while serving time. Vick's out, did his time, the judge didn't order remorse, only time behind bars - which he served. Now, we don't want him and his family with ebt cards so let him work. We can't have it both ways - complain about people not working to feed their family and at the same time don't allow an able bodied person to work. When are we satisfied? People have killed other people and got less time. Our system of justice says once you have paid the debt - then you are allowed to pursue the American dream. The dream has already been denied too many times to our fellow Americans. I say HELLO! HELLO!

oldenuff2nobetter
oldenuff2nobetter 08/17/09 - 03:54 pm
I bet he cried.

I bet he cried.

prissy
prissy 08/17/09 - 06:13 pm
Whats going to be interesting

Whats going to be interesting is when Vick plays that 1st angry team. Can't wait for that one.

r we judging
r we judging 08/18/09 - 12:58 am
Jack234 you are exactly

Jack234 you are exactly right. That is his JOB. Murderer get out of jail and work everyday. They are mechanics, barbers, cooks in restaurants you eat in. Please people he served the time given to him. You have to abide by the laws of the land and thats it. Its over get a life if you dont like him dont watch him. Complain about DUI land Vehicular homicide laws. People purposely drink and drive and kill people all the time and serve less time in jail than Vic. Complain about that.