Across the area

Driver arrested after I-20 crash kills man

A woman has been arrested in a two-vehicle crash on Interstate 20 that killed a Thomson man Saturday.

RaSheedah Muhammad, 26, has been charged with vehicular homicide, driving under the influence, driving too closely and driving without a license, Georgia State Patrol Trooper Rich Fishel said.

The victim, 19-year-old Curtis Evans Jr., was riding in the Chevrolet S-10 truck with Ms. Muhammad near the 157-mile marker in Warren County early Saturday when a vehicle hit the truck from behind, Warren County Coroner Paul Lowe said.

The truck driver and Mr. Evans were ejected. Mr. Evans was pronounced dead at 3:57 a.m. at the scene, Mr. Lowe said.

The truck driver was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital and has been released.

Trooper Fishel said the accident is still being investigated.

Owner of unlicensed nightclub found dead

The body of an Aiken man was discovered by relatives Sunday at an unlicensed nightclub he ran in the 2900 block of Silver Bluff Road.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said Bernard Jones, 53, was found dead about 2 p.m.

He was last seen alive early Sunday morning.

Mr. Jones had several suspicious injuries, and an autopsy is scheduled this morning in Newberry, S.C. Aiken County sheriff's Sgt. Dave Myers said investigators are treating the case as a homicide.

Man on street pointed gun, motorist reports

A 41-year-old Augusta woman told police a man pointed a gun at her vehicle while she was driving with her family in the 2400 block of Old Barton Chapel Road on Saturday.

According to a Richmond County sheriff's report, a man walking down the road about 6:55 p.m. pulled out a black semiautomatic handgun and pointed it at the woman's vehicle.

The man is described as black, between 18 and 20 years old, about 6 feet tall and 150 pounds.

He was wearing a white tank top and white shorts with a red stripe.

Woman says she was kidnapped, left behind

An Augusta woman told authorities she was kidnapped from a parking lot on Doug Barnard Parkway on Saturday.

The woman said two men approached her about 4 p.m. and forced her into the back seat of her car at gunpoint, a Richmond County sheriff's report states.

The woman said one man covered her head with a black bag and bound her hands with zip ties.

She said the men drove for four to five hours before they stopped and got into another vehicle, leaving her. The woman was able to remove the ties from her hands.

She said she didn't know where she was and drove for hours before stopping at a gas station in Madison, Ga., where she contacted authorities, the report says.

The woman said the two men talked about making a "drop" and getting another vehicle, the report says.

Robbers assault man at self-storage facility

An Augusta man said he was struck in the head by two men who broke into the Ameristor self-storage facility at 2364 Tobacco Road on Sunday morning.

The man said the men came to the facility between 2:30 and 3:15 a.m. and hit him in the head several times with a gun, a Richmond County sheriff's report states.

He said the men cut the locks off six storage units and took items from them.

Traffic update

Richmond County

- A lane will close on both sides of Bobby Jones Expressway between Old Trail Road and Scott Nixon Memorial Boulevard from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today to Sunday.

- A lane will close on both sides of Interstate 20 from Warren Road to Wheeler Road from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. today through Sunday.

- A lane will close on each side of Wheeler Road between Augusta West Parkway and Agerton Lane from 9 a.m. to

4 p.m. today until Sunday.

- Marks Church Road will be closed near Jamaica Drive from

9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today until Sunday. Detours will be in place.

- Workers will be directing traffic on Perimeter Parkway between Wheeler Road and Interstate Parkway from 9 a.m. to

4 p.m. today through Sunday.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/17/09 - 04:42 am
Anyone else think that

Anyone else think that kidnapped lady is telling some sort of story? Just doesn't sound kosher.

Mydoggie
Mydoggie 08/17/09 - 07:51 am
After several readings and

After several readings and re-readings, I still can't make sense of the I-20 wreck story. Who was driving the S-10 pickup? What happened to the driver of the vehicle that rear-ended the pickup? Can anybody figure this one out? Maybe it's Monday morning and my brain aint in gear yet.....

andywarhol
andywarhol 08/17/09 - 08:11 am
I read it three time and

I read it three time and still cannot understand it.

momof2
momof2 08/17/09 - 08:15 am
Last night the "breaking

Last night the "breaking news", or whatever it was labeled as, did not say that Ms. Muhammad was in the S-10 with Mr. Evans. But if Ms. Muhammad was charged with driving too closely, then doesn't it make sense that SHE was the one that hit someone (Mr. Evans??) from behind?

gosh
gosh 08/17/09 - 08:16 am
Mydoggie I was wondering the

Mydoggie I was wondering the same thing about myself. But now I see I'm not the only one and I'm not going crazy.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/17/09 - 08:38 am
The story about the wreck on

The story about the wreck on I-20 is very poorly written. The Chronicle had plenty of time to get the story right before press time. I guess the Sunday staffing is dwindling. Anybody want a job as an editor?

mad_max
mad_max 08/17/09 - 08:50 am
I read the I-20 wreck

I read the I-20 wreck "breaking news" yesterday several times and the article today serveral times and I still cannot tell what happened. I don't know if the AC reporters are incompetent at getting the facts or incompetent at explaining the facts...or both. Hey AC, can we get a RE-DO on this story? Does anyone down there read this crap before you publish it.

missaugusta07
missaugusta07 08/17/09 - 09:48 am
I think that the kady that

I think that the kady that was kidnapped is off her rocker just a little bit,why did they take her in the first beginning ,was there a ransom note for money?people ,people leave the drugs alone,Is LSD still around?

aninsider
aninsider 08/17/09 - 09:51 am
Here is the correct story

Here is the correct story about the I-20 accident. There was a big party at "the club" and when everyone left and got on I-20 to head back to Thomson at 2:30 in the morning, Ms. Muhammad, who reportedly had argued with one of the men in the pickup truck while at the club, rammed the back of the pickup truck while it was traveling down I-20. We responded to an accident with a fatality, but it really turned out to be a murder scene. The two youhg men in the pickup truck were ejected from the vehicle. The passenger died. The driver lived.

disssman
disssman 08/17/09 - 09:59 am
I wonder if the Ameristor

I wonder if the Ameristor will now invest is a 100 dollar video system?

disssman
disssman 08/17/09 - 10:05 am
I am amazed that a muslim was

I am amazed that a muslim was accused of drunken driving. I also believe the poor thing didn't have a license because she couldn't spell her name for a license.

disssman
disssman 08/17/09 - 10:08 am
Finally the poor woman who

Finally the poor woman who was "Kidnapped". Didn't anyone in your family or friends notice you not comming home and reporting it to the police? I believe I would look for a different family or friends. But she did the right thing in this situation, drove around for hours sightseeing before calling the police.

2 B JUST ME
2 B JUST ME 08/17/09 - 11:47 am
Glad it was not just me

Glad it was not just me reading the story about I-20 wreck. I see others didn't understand it either.

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/09 - 12:50 pm
I swear, the CSRA is just a

I swear, the CSRA is just a hotbed of kidnapping women out of parking lots.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 08/17/09 - 02:35 pm
Where in the story did it say

Where in the story did it say she was a muslim? I must have missed that part. I'm not buying the kidnapped story. Sounds fishy to me.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/17/09 - 04:33 pm
If the so-called "little

If the so-called "little things" are ignored and not enforced, like code violations, noise ordinances, BB and pellet gun vandalism, eggings, misdemeanor thefts, brazen drug use, spitting at people, blocking traffic by refusing to move out of the neighborhood streets and the use of obscene, vulgar and racist language in front of women and minors unable to enjoy their own homes and property because of that type of verbal noise pollution, eventually worse begins to happen. Can't say I didn't warn you, I've been begging for help for my neighborhoods since 1999.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/17/09 - 06:36 pm
Amen, Baroness.

Amen, Baroness.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...