Much work has yet to be accomplished

I thank all persons graciously who responded to my letter "Black community has problems to solve (July 11). I received several notes, e-mails, telephone calls, checks and some visitors. Three individuals sent checks requesting that I contribute the money to some agencies of my choice that assist young people.

It was disclosed to me that many people are participating in programs and projects to assist, tutor and mentor young people and families. And many more want to get involved. Somehow, we need a clearinghouse or a central agency where volunteers could be approved and trained, in order to reach out on a bigger scale so that more children and families could be helped. In other words, a lot is being done, but much more is needed.

We need to get our national organizations such as the NAACP, SCLC, PUSH and the National Action Network more involved and make programs for young people a priority.

On another issue, health care reform: I am dismayed at some of my

fellow Americans at a few town hall meetings, displaying distractions and disturbances. I consider this un-American.

A foreigner who was visiting our country recently told me that some of the things he liked about United States were the civility of Americans, who are able to agree to disagree on issues and vote their convictions; and our peaceful presidential inaugurations.

On another note on health care, it has become a class issue, although, we don't want to admit it - just as some of us don't want certain people living in our neighborhoods or going to school with them.

We don't want to go to doctors or hospitals where people on Medicaid go. Although many people will disagree with me, this is an underground issue, and it is very real.

Tracy E. Williams Jr., Augusta

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/17/09 - 01:04 am
Tracy - keep up the good work

Tracy - keep up the good work trying to help and educate youth, even if it is just geared towards helping one specific race instead of helping all youth. Helping people, especially children is a good thing and all of us should be involved to the best of our ability, even the government should help to some extent. Enabling citiznes through government programs however is not helping in any way, shape or form. We are creating a class of non-productive non-caring citiznes who have been enabled for so long that they now think they are entitled. Our constitution does not entitle any of us to free housing, food, transportation, checks, or even health care from the government and each of these social programs which cost a fortune are are greatly abused by members of all races and sexes are long overdue for closure. Many of these section 8 dwellers who take money from the government always seem to have money for their cell phone bills, alcohol and drugs and often venture into a life of crime thanks to those who were just trying to help them. Enough is enough - We don't need government health care and I can't afford for more money to be TAKEN from my check which I earn weekly.

justus4
justus4 08/17/09 - 05:44 am
Of course the Black community

Of course the Black community has many problems. How can an entire race have over two hundred years of atrocities exacted on it with all the emotional damage, the violence & murders, (some killers still walk free) and the government NEVER have taken fully responsibility for their behavior, well what can one expect? Until the US government take full responsibility for its policies regarding African-Americans and the legacy of slavery, piece meal attempts will not really solve the minority community's issues. However, it is a good attempt to try, but the real solutions are rooted in historicial Truths and Atonement for sins. This country has serious problems with those traits, especially in matters of race resulting in a cancer that can't or won't be healed.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/09 - 05:50 am
Money & Distribution of

Money & Distribution of Wealth has never been from the beginning a plan to stimulate our ecomony. It was to take away the money from the hard working citizens, God fearing people and belivers of the constitution to be given to the non-productive and low lifes (of all races). Anybody with more than one brain cell and Common Sense can see what is happening to this great United States of America. It is unbelivable to know that a group of people of this country are willing to put in jail and fine 2 human being in Flordia for saying grace at a meal. I know that from this point on, I will be branded as a racist and for sure will be placed on the WH hit list. I will still be an individual who will fright for the freedom of this USA.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/09 - 05:54 am
justus4..You are the true

justus4..You are the true racist.

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 08/17/09 - 06:06 am
^^^see above^^^ There sums up

^^^see above^^^ There sums up the crime issue, just stop Section 8 and that will do it... FALSE! The majority of people on sect 8 are law abiding people not criminals... You can check the Residency Characteristics Report and read for yourself. 51% of S8 residents are white, 45% are black/african american, 45% are one person households, 34% earn between $5-$10k..There are some bad apples who abuse social programs, but the need for them far out weighs the need to totally abolish them. I think there should be stricter monitoring and perhaps limits on enrollment in social programs; however, I don't think abolishing social programs will end the problem, you will end up making the situation worse...Lastly, programs like S8 don't just benefit the residents, they benefit the homeowner, who gets guaranteed rent payment from Uncle Sam. They may or may not be rich, but they are investors with an investment, real estate. Their biggest worry is getting a good tenant who won't damage the home...Lumping all social programs together is wrong, some like S8 work for both ends of the economic spectrum.

jboy
jboy 08/17/09 - 06:07 am
justus is a whiner, the only

justus is a whiner, the only thing that keeps him and others like him whining is their victim mentality. Get over it!!!!

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/17/09 - 06:52 am
justus must be referring to

justus must be referring to O.J. oops. nevermind, he's locked up now.

opiner
opiner 08/17/09 - 07:31 am
Yeah Tracey, if only ACORN

Yeah Tracey, if only ACORN were running the show, everything would be so much better. I suggest you approach the ACLU and see if they can put you in touch with the organizer in chief. After all, government created this problem, they should be able to fix it.

mable8
mable8 08/17/09 - 07:57 am
Get over it justus4, slavery

Get over it justus4, slavery is NOT solely a historical fact in the US; other countries since the beginning of man practiced slavery. Or did you miss that in your biblical text? Why don't you acknowledge the fact that some black plantation owners had more slaves than their white counterparts and that indentured white servants were owned by black slaves? Seems to me you like to pick and choose historical events and biblical texts. The only slavery in the US today is that enslavement of the mind which refuses to grow beyond the past--which fits you to a tee.

disssman
disssman 08/17/09 - 08:55 am
With all your perceived

With all your perceived biases Tracy, how do you expect to be a role model for children? I would be concerned that some of your unfounded fears would be imprinted in a young mind. Maybe you could expand on the last two paragraphs of your letter and enlighten the rest of us as to why people feel the ways you outlined. I would be especially interested in your views as to why we don't want certain people in our neighborhood and why we don't want to go to Medicaid facilities or doctors.

Roeschen
Roeschen 08/17/09 - 09:00 am
Justus - your ancestors were

Justus - your ancestors were slaves. So what. They were sold into slavery by blacks in Africa. Maybe you should be asking for atonement from the Africans who sold your ancestors in the first place or from the African governments. Good luck there. It is quite possible that your ancestors may have been buffalo soldiers and therefore were responsible for the massacre of my ancestors. Do I hold you responsible?

mad_max
mad_max 08/17/09 - 10:53 am
justus4 never seems to be

justus4 never seems to be able to explain why there are descendants of victims of slavery all over the world but only in this country do we have such a large percentage of them that are still not capable of supporting themselves and moving on. Maybe his answer would be because of continued racism. Maybe there is continued racism because we continually get the sins of our forefathers thrown in our face daily and we are tired of that. Sorry, I didn't do it and I ain't taking the punishment for it. Maybe that percentage of the descendants of slavery are not cutting it because the Democrats wrote them off and created a welfare system to feed and house them. And now they want to live like they were working and affluent without actually having to get a job. They are like that commercial on TV where the kid asks for M-O-O-O-R-E. The bottom line for me is that I know too many black people who have taken the opportunities available in this country, educated themselves, gotten jobs, dealt with or survived racism when they ran into it, and are good, productive citizens. I acknowledge there is still racism but I refuse to accept that racism or being a descendant of a slave is a valid excuse.

jsherrill
jsherrill 08/17/09 - 10:58 am
The American Indians had the

The American Indians had the greatest atrocities placed on them in the name of Manifest Destiny. The US Government broke treaty after treaty with the Indian Nations and never once looked back. The Trail of Tears which moved thousands from their homes in the Carolinas to Oklahoma and numerous other things. The Native Americans were placed on reservations, prohibited to speak their own language and to practice their own culture. Pleaase Justice quit your crying.

The Ode
The Ode 08/17/09 - 11:22 am
So if slavery 150 years ago

So if slavery 150 years ago and discrimination 50 years ago has been the cause for the problems of the black community, then what is the problem with the lack of advancement of sub-Saharan Africa where the white man hasn't been enslaving the people?

The Ode
The Ode 08/17/09 - 11:24 am
Tracy - good luck with

Tracy - good luck with getting the NAACP involved in any type of positive program or initiative.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/17/09 - 11:36 am
The NAACP is doing their job.

The NAACP is doing their job. They are insuring the 2 principls in Flordia are sent to jail and pay a big fine for saying Grace at a meal.

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/09 - 12:03 pm
mad max, you rock!

mad max, you rock!

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 08/17/09 - 02:18 pm
It's never my fault! Thats

It's never my fault! Thats all I hear anymore...I was abused, it was racism, I wasn't given the same choices as other students I was in school with, we were poor etc etc etc. Stand up and be responsible. Nobody has a perfect life or upbringing. I bet there is always someone that had it worse than you that did become productive and doesn't whine about how hard it is. Life is hard, that's a fact. You make what you have to out of your oppourtunities. Someone doesn't knock on your door and hand it to you.

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.