Mom of boy mauled by dogs gets $15,000 bond

The mother of a toddler mauled by dogs last month was granted a $15,000 bond Tuesday.

Jessica L. Chavous, 24, had been held without bond since her arrest nearly a month ago on a charge of second-degree cruelty to children.

Her 2-year-old son, Damien, was bitten more than 100 times July 10. He was seriously injured but has recovered and is living with a foster family, defense attorney Maureen Floyd said.

Damien was attacked by four dogs who were living in the fenced backyard next to Ms. Chavous' grandparents' home. Ms. Chavous and her three children were living with her grandparents on Belair Road.

Damien was left alone on the back porch when he either climbed the neighbor's fence or was pulled under it by the dogs, Assistant District Attorney Hank Syms said.

Citing Ms. Chavous' lack of any criminal history, Mr. Syms said he would not oppose her release on bond.

Ms. Floyd said the Department of Family and Children Services has opened a case on the Chavous family. Damien and his siblings, who are 8 years and 8 months old, are in foster care. The plan is to reunite the family, Ms. Floyd said.

Senior Judge Albert M. Pickett set bond for Ms. Chavous in Richmond County Superior Court. Following the DFCS plan is a condition of her release on bond.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

mrsdoright
mrsdoright 08/12/09 - 10:09 am
Unless there's something not

Unless there's something not stated in the article, this sounds like a horrible accident. Not a reason to arrest a mother and send all children to foster care. Poor Damien, had to go from being attacked, to hospital, and now living with strangers. The incident should have been reported and the family observed but jail and foster care? There's not enough room in our jail system now for true criminals. I guess they have to be let out early to make room for these criminal moms. What mother out there hasn't had a 2 yr. old get into trouble in a blink of an eye, expecially when your caring for another small child. My prayers are with this family.

poolmom
poolmom 08/12/09 - 11:10 am
The woman was NOT watching

The woman was NOT watching her child closely. Especially knowing there were vicious dogs next door. She had also been warned 2 weeks before when her son was out in the road. Yes I am sure the mother suffered knowing her baby was hurt and without her. maybe it will make her watch her children better next time. I pray the boy heals properly and the woman takes some kind of parenting classes and gets the family back if she is capable. I bet the foster family is taking good care of those children!

NrthAugustaSam
NrthAugustaSam 08/12/09 - 11:41 am
Let's trust DFCS on this one.

Let's trust DFCS on this one. With the two publicly visible incidents, and an internal investigation of the environment, a decision was made. Your emotions and sympathy for the mother do not pray a safe environment into reality. Be sad for the mother but happy the kids remain safe.

weatheringheights
weatheringheights 08/12/09 - 11:59 am
Mrsdoright, what rock have

Mrsdoright, what rock have you been hiding under? Read some of the previous articles. This woman stuck her two year old child out on a back porch by himself at night totally unsupervised. This even though she admitted she knew the child had climbed over the gate in the past. All of this occurring two weeks after this same child was found wandering on the side of Belair Road. The same road where hundreds, if not thousands of cars speed down every day. If that wasn't a wake up call to her, then she really doesn't need to have kids. Having been a foster parent myself, I am totally sick of DFACS goal of reuniting children with neglectful and/or abusive parents. DNA does not make a good parent. Just because you give birth or spread around your DNA does not make you entitled to raise a child. When are the 'authorities' going to wake up and realize this? Children are not personal property and should not be treated as such. It flabbergast me that if someone has their pet taken away, they aren't allowed to get it back, but abuse or neglect a child and the system will bend over backwards to 'reunite' the family. It's a sad comment on our society, pets have more protection than kids.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/12/09 - 12:00 pm
It's about dang time. This

It's about dang time. This poor, pitiful woman should never have been held without bond. What did they think she was going to do if she was released? It's not like she was an active threat to anyone, especially with her kids in foster care. Keeping her jailed was nothing but a nice little bit of vengefulness by the DA's office and the court. And when were we notified that this mom KNEW the dogs next door were vicious? By all reports, they were not thought to be dangerous before this attack, although no dog is to be completely trusted, especially around young children.

weatheringheights
weatheringheights 08/12/09 - 12:08 pm
Fiat, you are missing the

Fiat, you are missing the point. The woman had no clue where her child was. The dogs next door are irrelevant. He could have easily walked out into traffic, again! She was not taking care of her child. That is why she was in jail, not because of the dogs. Please, everyone stop overlooking the cupalbility of the woman. Even if nothing bad had happened, a parent still has the responsibility to know where there child is. She failed miserably, twice. I guess after DFACs reunites the family, she'll get her shot at the old adage, third times a charm.

chey
chey 08/12/09 - 12:40 pm
where is this childs father?

where is this childs father?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/12/09 - 03:51 pm
Not overlooking the

Not overlooking the culpability of this sad woman. She NEGLECTED her children, obviously. BUT, taking away her children did away with the danger to them, making it nothing more that vindictivness to deny her bail. She did not intentionally hurt her child and has no record of doing anything else illegal. Use your head for a moment and think about the kind of thugs given bail and released who do perfectly awful stuff while wondering around free awaiting trial. This woman doesn't fall into that category at all. It's the age and vulnerability of the victim, not the crime that caused her to be stuck in jail all this time. And it didn't serve any purpose but to placate the anger of outraged DAs and uninvolved citizens.

goeagles
goeagles 08/13/09 - 09:59 pm
What happened to the dogs?

What happened to the dogs?

fish2
fish2 08/14/09 - 07:35 am
goeagles---A guy named Vick

goeagles---A guy named Vick picked them up.

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 08/23/09 - 09:40 am
My dogs were killed more than

My dogs were killed more than a week ago because they felt I had to pay for it....by loading me up with threats of citations....saying I had not delt with animals at large 2 years ago when I have already paid for that..throwing that up to the media and to the Aiken Court system made me look irresponsible and careless....of which I am neither.I paid for the one in the front yard...who was totally guiltless and I paid for part of the kennel fees of the ones in the back who they threatened me if I did not surrender them. The money was paid by a friend....fighting a custody battle and my sons cancer for 2 years has left me broke...the monies I used to care for the animals was money given to my rescue charity..which was separate. Expired rabies shots by only 2 months for 2 dogs does not make a cruelty case...if it does....then many,many people could face the same fate as mine.

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 08/23/09 - 09:46 am
Don't you think DFACS owes

Don't you think DFACS owes the public and me an update on the child....I know he is in foster care now as are his siblings,but all we have seen is a picture of a baby when he was just born. I would like to offer this to Jessica....and her family my heart felt condolences for the childs injuries whether it was mine or theirs....and that Jessica will be reunited with her children...but I know since I was a CASA a few years ago...it could take from 6 mo at least to a year....or more.....so let's all pray she gets them back before Christmas.
Shirley Barnes

justus4
justus4 08/23/09 - 05:48 pm
Dogs are great arn't they?

Dogs are great arn't they? What about those great dogs? Where are the foolish dog lovers (probably lovin' dogs a little too much) who think they equal humans? Where are the charges for these vicious dog owners? This woman was just being a busy parent, but those dogs behaved like they were trained killers. Who trained them? Where did the viciousness come? A sad case, but had there been no dogs, the kid would have been just fine.

Authorities to target impaired drivers during holiday

Authorities in Georgia and South Carolina are teaming up this weekend to target impaired drivers and protect the 1.2 million motorists in the two states who plan to travel in what AAA projects ...