News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Broun lights health care 'grass fire'

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun wants to ignite a "grass fire" of opposition to health care reform legislation pending in Congress, and two overflow crowds in Columbia County helped him fan those flames Monday night.

Back | Next
<p>"This crowd right here has influence in every state in the country." </p> <p><b>-- Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga.,  </b>urging those attending Monday's town hall meeting in Evans to contact friends and relatives in other states -- especially those in districts represented by conservative Democrats -- to pressure their congressmen to oppose the health care plan.</p>  Special
Special

"This crowd right here has influence in every state in the country."

-- Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga., urging those attending Monday's town hall meeting in Evans to contact friends and relatives in other states -- especially those in districts represented by conservative Democrats -- to pressure their congressmen to oppose the health care plan.

Dr. Broun, R-Ga., called the pending Democratic legislation an "abomination" and "a stinking rotten fish" and said Democratic efforts are the "steamroll of socialism." He did offer up his own idea for reform, including a Medicare health savings account that would follow the beneficiaries, allowing them to spend what Medicare would have spent on them in their own way.

The crowds at the Columbia County Board of Education building -- organizers had to add a second event to accommodate the hundreds of people initially turned away -- egged him on.

"America is mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore," said Joyce Jamison of Evans.

The crowd was not uniformly opposed. Sameera Thurmond of Augusta joked that she might be the only Democrat in the room as she held a sign that said 83 percent support the public option insurance program envisioned in the legislation.

"I just think that it is equitable that everyone should have access to health care," she said.

Dr. Broun said that public option is the first stop toward "socialized medicine" once employers begin dropping coverage and forcing employees into it.

Many in the crowd, including Jim Pritchard of Harlem, asked how they could do more to help defeat the legislation.

"The common man should be able to do more," Mr. Pritchard said.

Dr. Broun assured him that public opposition to the plan had already prevented its passage before the August congressional recess.

"Y'all stopped it, and I congratulate y'all," he said.

But he urged the crowd to contact friends and family in other states -- particularly in districts with conservative Democrats who might be on the fence -- to voice their opposition.

"This crowd right here has influence in every state in the country," Dr. Broun said.

Reach Tom Corwin at (706) 823-3213 or tom.corwin@augustachronicle.com.

FAIR TAX Now
FAIR TAX Now 08/11/09 - 03:24 am
What Congressman Broun said

What Congressman Broun said at the end of this article is so important, we must encourage people in other representatives districts to oppose the bill. Such as Congressman Barrow's district constituents need to let him know they expect him to keep opposing it or he will face consequences.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/11/09 - 04:28 am
I used to think he was a

I used to think he was a little off the beam, but the more I see of him and listen to him, the more I like and respect him! He is 100% right on this issue and is going to get my support and enthusiastic vote in 2010

g-dog express
g-dog express 08/11/09 - 05:18 am
I'm puzzled, where are all

I'm puzzled, where are all the swastikas?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/11/09 - 06:27 am
In the White House Closet!

In the White House Closet!

colcamp1
colcamp1 08/11/09 - 06:27 am
All he did was to tally the

All he did was to tally the same group that has opposed President Obama from day one. I am more than willing to bet that the majority made up the majority of the " [filtered word]s". Nothing new to report here.

Lobosolo
Lobosolo 08/11/09 - 06:29 am
Angry, white Republicans were

Angry, white Republicans were the only people present at this rally, the same ones that go to the tea parties. The Chronicle, as usual, refuses to point this out. Instead, our venerable rag will tell you that this group represents all of America, which just isn't true. Ryan and cohorts would have you believe that the plan is even less popular than the Republicans are in congress (a fact the Chronicle won't dare mention). Sorry, editorial board, but Americans are just plain smarter than that and just don't buy into it. Paul Broun has no ideas, except those that appeal to the variety residing in such hamlets as Columbia County. You know, the fair tax crowd that never met a minority that they wouldn't want to exploit. There needs to be SERIOUS debate on this issue, not the variety seen in recent days by the knee-jerk reactionaries that dwell on the AC editorial board and have been hijacking attempts at being heard by groups throughout the land. Did you see the crowd at the rallies in Evans? Did the make-up of the crowd surprise you? America is far more diverse. Get used to it , AC. No matter how much you distort the truth, the Repubs are the ones with the LOWEST approval ratings.

HotFoot
HotFoot 08/11/09 - 06:30 am
The man is a lunatic and an

The man is a lunatic and an obstructionist with no viable ideas of his own. I would have been there, outnumbered, if I didn't have a very sick dog at home. Have you looked at his voting record? He votes "No" for everything, and I mean every piece of legislation that comes up for a vote. He truly represents the wacko fringe...or what would be considered the wacko fringe outside the South. Here, lunacy appears to be mainstream.

HotFoot
HotFoot 08/11/09 - 06:34 am
btw, if anyone gives a damn,

btw, if anyone gives a damn, you can sign up to be informed of your representatives' votes at http://www.congress.org/congressorg/megavote/. I get an email every week or so that details everythng Broun has voted against. Also those worthies, Chambliss and Isakson.

opiner
opiner 08/11/09 - 06:46 am
Again, if a representative or

Again, if a representative or senator doesn't begin a town hall meeting by saying, " We're doing all we can for you people, but we have to move as fast as we can and don't have time to read these bills..." then they don't get shouted down. It's when those that represent us act as though we're idiots (that will follow them because they're in congress) that starts the yelling. Notice that it's only the Dems who support the socialist proposals that get yelled at? I'll bet the national news won't cover the Broun meetings.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/11/09 - 06:52 am
He's lying about the bill OMG

He's lying about the bill OMG these white folks are just going crazy. LOL OMG this funny just look at them.

ramble
ramble 08/11/09 - 06:55 am
I hate to even partially

I hate to even partially agree with people on here who are usually divisive and often downright hateful, BUT I was at the meeting last night and I have to admit that most of the people who got the microphone to ask a "question" did nothing more than state an opinion (always the same, Obama is horrible, Pelosi is a threat to national security, euthanasia is on the way, etc.)... It was over the top and Congressman Broun didn't counter those opinions with realistic discussion, he fed into them. I guess he was just playing ot the crowd. I was hoping for some more substantive discussion though.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/11/09 - 06:58 am
It would have been more fun

It would have been more fun if a Democrat supporting the bill would have been the speaker. We could have had some fun. Since it was anti-bill, Paul Broun, I was kind of hoping some Demcratic union thug types would have shown up. We would have had the biggest one-sided contest in the county since Evans beat Laney 66-0 in a baseball game. But I know the Sheriff wouldn't have let any trouble start. He would have had the union thugs marching around the rock quarry off Columbia Rd. to keep the peace.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 08/11/09 - 07:03 am
For anyone who believes

For anyone who believes government should be in healthcare, you need to visit a VA hospital. It will change your mind real quick.

stewartist
stewartist 08/11/09 - 07:17 am
The Dems remind me of

The Dems remind me of "Oliver"..."Please sir, can I have some more?" It will never stop as long as there are opportunistic freeloaders in our country.

jack234
jack234 08/11/09 - 07:24 am
I guess guess President Obama

I guess guess President Obama had two choices in regards to his health care proposal. He could have just stayed in D.C. , held no town hall, be stubborn about the whole thing and pass the reform anyway. The other choice was to go on the road and try to explain that it not what the snake oil people say it is. He chose the latter. I was trying to recall were there any issues that came up during the Bush administration that were the subject of town hall meetings where the public could be better informed.
Paul Broun is, of course, preaching to the choir - those who put him in office. I agree it is probably the same crowd that has opposed President Obama from day one and is still bitter This allows them to let off a little built up steam. Who knows, maybe this will help deter domestic violence and mass murders. I'm sure there were many comments from the audience about the reform that were probably not true and Broun chose to ignore or not correct. (that's why they are called politicians, and not truth seekers) They are a special breed of people. HELLO! HELLO!

obamtheflimflamman
obamtheflimflamman 08/11/09 - 07:30 am
if you aren't CONCERNED you

if you aren't CONCERNED you are not paying ATTENTION!

bentman
bentman 08/11/09 - 07:33 am
People get their hands and a

People get their hands and a copy of the bill and read what's actually written in the bill. They decide they don't like it and protest. Yeah, Nancy, that's un-American.

concernednative
concernednative 08/11/09 - 07:37 am
What lobosolo and jack234

What lobosolo and jack234 said is correct. Broun had a [filtered word] crowd that he just through red meat to. These people don't get it. Events like this do nothing to deter Obama and other about hc reform. Like the lady said one dem in the whole room and no substantive discussion. Way to go. Broun votes no on everything because he says he doesn't believe govt can solve problems but he wants his govt job, paycheck, health insurance, staff, and all the perks. Hypocrisy at the highest form if you ask me. Why would you fight tooth and nail to be a part of something you don't believe in. Oh, he gets his money and power but doesn't have to do anything to help the public.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/11/09 - 07:44 am
All working people should

All working people should have access to healthcare, and I hope that eventually their will be a plan that will make that possible, I think what the majority of any Americans who have any sense feels is that we are tired of all the free handouts to people who don't work and never intend to work, who raise their children on the welfare system so they never intend to work, they just keep having babies living off the working mans back. Put money into education so that people can get off wefare and work, be productive rather than burdens on society, yet the democrats want to keep giving to the ones who are not working and helping to keep this country going.

4725 08/11/09 - 07:57 am
Columbia County voted 84%

Columbia County voted 84% republican. What kind of crowd do you think would show up. And why shouldn't these TAXPAYERS at this townhall meeting have a voice.........They have a right to voice.
Look at everything the Government runs. Expensive and dreadful.
I would love to see the look on some of your faces when a Government panel tells you your 75 year old grandfather "IS TOO FAR GONE" for treatment. We will help him die, but not give him 5 more years of life......WHY.....We're over budget, Sorry !!!!!!!!!!

concernednative
concernednative 08/11/09 - 08:04 am
4725, that is a lie and you

4725, that is a lie and you know it.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 08/11/09 - 08:08 am
Those arent swastikas in the

Those arent swastikas in the white house closet, its a sickle and hammer. Let's see, the government takes over financial institutions, giants in the automotive industry, and is now inching in on healthcare.....sounds like the government is trying to take over everything. It would be nice if Mr. obama was more than just a puppet. If Obamacare is so great then he should be on it too. As well as all the congresspeople and representatives. They should also have to use social security like the rest of us, oh, you didnt know that they make those bloated government salaries and dont even pay in to Social Security? Keep eating the gubment cheese and you will get what you deserve.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/11/09 - 08:14 am
I don't know what we are

I don't know what we are arguing about. Obama plainly says on tape that he wants to move towards nationalized healthcare. He said he would have to do it one step at a time, but that's his goal. Do the libs think he was lying? I don't...for once.

Serioun
Serioun 08/11/09 - 08:18 am
ignite a "grass fire" , I

ignite a "grass fire" , I think this says it all. We are we going to do now, start burning down houses, may put up a few crosses in the yard? Only in the South!! Go ahead, we beat down this type of foolishness before. What's next you going to call the dogs out too?? Then I guess we'll just have to call in the National Guard, but know this, be sure and very sure you are ready for such a fight. Remember we were born ready...I am all for sitting down at the table discussing the issue, trying to come up with something that will be bipartison. But of course, if you want to preserve the "status quo", and define American according to your own rules, then I will and and I can fight you. I'll send in money, I'll take off work (yea, we work now), I'll gather my friends (yea, we communicate too), whatever it takes. But I am taking my ques from you, make sure you are sending the right message.

TechLover
TechLover 08/11/09 - 08:19 am
bent; The problem is all the

bent; The problem is all the lies that are being made up about the bill, then the gullible right wing folks fall for it. Good example: 4725 above: The bill says that there will be a DISCUSSION of end of life issues every 5 years, and the Dr will be reimbursed for it. The patient makes the choice, not a government panel. Another good example is all the comparison with single payer systems in Canada and the UK. This bill if for a government insurance option, NOT a single payer system. Those that read these posts know I'm pretty left wing, but I don't support a single payer system. I DO want an affordable insurance option for all Americans. I think this bill does a decent job of accomplishing that.

Unhappy with Obama
Unhappy with Obama 08/11/09 - 08:20 am
I am not in Rep Broun

I am not in Rep Broun district, but I would be proud to be as he is working for the American people and trying to stop the total take over of our health care by Pres Obama and his puppets. The American people are standing up all across this country and showing that we are totally against this health takeover and it is my hope and prayer that this crazy plan is defeated. Please pray as I do every day that God will direct those voting in Congress that care about this country to please vote against this plan and to stop Omaba totally before he ruins this country any further than he already has.

pontesisto
pontesisto 08/11/09 - 08:28 am
If you would like to help

If you would like to help pressure Congress to pass single payer health care please join our voting bloc at:

bailmeout2
bailmeout2 08/11/09 - 08:36 am
I was there last night, and I

I was there last night, and I am a repub. It was the same old rhetoric and factless statements. The worst was
"throw out all illegal aliens". These WASPs didnt know that their oranges cost 2.99 because they are picked by illegals, their lean beef costs 1.99/lb because of illegals, I-20/Bobby Jones construction, and all their McMansions built by illegals

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 08/11/09 - 08:36 am
If you think that we're not

If you think that we're not eventually headed to guv'mint prezbhocare, you're not paying attention. prezbho has stated he wants guv'mint healthcare. What don't you understand about that? All you defenders; Is he now lying or is he now telling the truth? How can those defending THIS horrible prezbhocare continue to ignore what he 'himself' has said?

bailmeout2
bailmeout2 08/11/09 - 08:39 am
n/a

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.