Don't let government run health care

Government health care will not work.

Elected officials have headed home for the summer break. This is an excellent time to contact your elected officials to act against this pending disaster. How much more do we need to know that government involvement is usually a disaster.

The cash-for-clunkers program (a government program) is running out of money. Social Security (run by the government) always is facing a deficit (always a need to cut benefits, raise the age, raise the taxes). How much does it cost the government to run Medicare/Medicaid?

Can anyone find a government program that actually cost what the government said it would cost? If you doubt it, look it up yourself. Find the bill on the Internet like I did and read through it. I assure you that it will confuse you.

And why are our elected officials not required to enroll in any government health plan? If those supporting it are so confident, let them try it first.

The government is rarely the answer. Reform of the health care system is required, but not a government-run program.

George J. Weber

Augusta

carcraft
carcraft 08/11/09 - 05:13 am
Good LTE! Social Security

Good LTE! Social Security would not be broke if the government had not increased the number of people who can collect SS. Social Security would not be broke if the Democrats had not taken the surpluse form social securtiy and put it into the general fund in the 1950's!

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/11/09 - 05:49 am
Gee, I wonder if anybody did

Gee, I wonder if anybody did any research to see that Social Security was originally designed in 1937 to be an "option." It certainly isn't an option from our government now. Are you asked if you want it taken out of your paycheck? Does this sound familiar to any of you?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/11/09 - 06:17 am
also name one govt program

also name one govt program that is not full of fraud and corruption. the govt is not the answer our politicians seem to think that the greatness of our country lies in govt this was not the intent of our founding forefathers it lies in the people. the ruling elite think they have answers and if we dont agree with their answers we are uninformed and an angry mob. govt cant run health care this is proven by the va system and medicare. those who favor a govt run health care system think they will get health care for free. everything has a price be careful what you wish.for my family and i the smaller the govt interference in my life the better.

opiner
opiner 08/11/09 - 07:13 am
Yeah, everything you said and

Yeah, everything you said and more George. STOP SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!!

disssman
disssman 08/11/09 - 07:32 am
I just wish George and the

I just wish George and the rest of the CONServatves would tell me what this "Government run health program" is that all elected officials should enroll in? I believe that what he is refering to is the health care plans offered to civil service employees of the government, which the employee pays for. If that is correct, he should know those are civilian Insurance companies that provide various levels of coverage at various rates. So again should politicians be required to sing up for Aetna, Blue Cross, Hartford, or any of the other mulritude of programs? The health care for politicians is no different than any other person working for the government, and has the same Insurance policies of coverage denial and cancellation as any other policy for non-government policy holders. So again, what in the world is he talking about?

concernednative
concernednative 08/11/09 - 07:52 am
The right has decided to be

The right has decided to be the unintellectual party for some reason. I don't know rather it is because they choose leader like Bush and Palin who are intellectually challenged or what. However, I am getting excited because I believe Romney could give Obama a good run in 2012. But, I don't think the repubs would make an intelligent Mormon their nominee. I look for them to nominate Palin or Cantor. Two people I have never seen offer a solution or do anything other than speak in republican buzz words. The is what the party has become angry older people throwing out scary words.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 08/11/09 - 08:09 am
Lets see, since government

Lets see, since government cant keep hands out of the cookie jar to begin with, including taking money from SSN to cover other things, and money from Medicare to cover other things, its no wonder both are broke! Solution--easy, Quit spendintg money from other programs to cover other things! Oh, but thats just way to easy for government to do, thus, a reform is in order! So when DO they stop spending money they dont have? Oh, yeah, they do have it, coming right out of our paychecks and then our shirts! And now they rob the kids! Wow, so now what? Are they really really interested in a solution? Heck no, they want more money to spend!

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 08/11/09 - 08:25 am
There are two types of

There are two types of doctors in this country: HEALERS and DEALERS...The healers are the ones who actually try to cure ailments and diseases, beit by alternative or conventional medicine. The dealers dole out prescriptions given to them by the pharmaceutical reps over a free lunch. They treat, not cure, and your health is the last thing on their mind. They are just passing time between golf, and don't give a hoot if you die or fly...Just don't sue me...Anyone who doesn't believe healthcare reform is necessary just need to keep living...Live long enough to get sick. Competition between the government and big insurance is just what's needed in my humble opinion. Anytime those who have the power try to scare me with erroneous claims of death squads and forced treatments lets me know whatever they are fighting is going to help me...

pontesisto
pontesisto 08/11/09 - 08:25 am
If you would like to help

If you would like to help pressure Congress to pass single payer health care please join our voting bloc at:

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/11/09 - 08:37 am
hey concernednative how can

hey concernednative how can you accuse the right of being nonintellectual? it is the dems and the left that are passing these bills in congress with out even reading them or even knowing whats in them. no republican worth his salt has stooped to this low yet. we are told that including 40 some million people will actually reduce health care cost if we do it their way which they cant even tell us what that way is yet. obama is the most arrogrant politician i have ever seen in 54 years what are his accomplishments that merit us common folk to trust him in running anything. yes he is a socialist and does not merit our trust. in fact no politician deserves to have any control over a citizens life to the degree that obama is asking for it is not constitutional.

concernednative
concernednative 08/11/09 - 08:48 am
Bringing the 47 million will

Bringing the 47 million will reduce costs because preventive care is cheaper that emergency care. The 47 million get care because everyone in America does. Right now you just pay for them to go to the emergency room/hospital for everything. And since they don't get preventive care and medicine to control disease they spend 3 days in the hospital for diabetic attacks. Two days in the hospital because their blood pressure was too high. A expecting mom that doesn't get prenatal care is more like to have a premature birth. Premature births costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Could have been prevented in some cases with a few simple doctor visits to detect problems early.
No one ever factors in that these people already get healthcare they just get it delivered in the most expensive way possible.

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/11/09 - 09:18 am
Gee CONCERNED, if the Repubs

Gee CONCERNED, if the Repubs can't put a decent candidate up for election, why are you so concerned, as you stated in your 7:52 post? And again, I ask, how can you put so much faith in a govenment run healthcare system from a government that is trillions in debt and can't even secure it's borders? The polls show Odumba and the Dem Party losing approval everyday. Sorry, since the Dems control congress and the White House, you can't blame that on the Republicans, no matter how hard you try.

concernednative
concernednative 08/11/09 - 09:22 am
I have blamed anything on

I have blamed anything on republicans I just use common sense. If I buy a house that is in disrepair I know it will take some time to fix. I may know what I was getting so I can't blame the previous owners. But, I don't want my wife bugging me about why the house isn't fixed when the problems were so big it was going to take some time to fix.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/11/09 - 09:25 am
again the present form of the

again the present form of the health care bill has provision for paths for jogging and walking ie preventative measures that put dollars in certain congressional district quess whos? this bill also has been scored by the cbo which is controlled by the dems. quess what it cost trillion and a half over 10 years. great savings. when people percieve somthing to be free it is used more often simple logic. there is no savings it will cost a heck of a lot more. and just because you feel that health care will be cheaper which it cant and wont it will not change the bad behaviour of people we already pay for now.

mad_max
mad_max 08/11/09 - 10:36 am
Supporters of government

Supporters of government healthcare can holler all they like. What they cannot do is show you ANYWHERE in the world where the system works, provides prompt access to doctors, does not ration procedures and limit medicines, and has not financially broke the budget. It does not work, never has, never will. The whole idea that you can add 47 million people to a government paid system and then SAVE MONEY IS REDICULOUS. When has any taxpayer funded system saved money. Show me ONE. You can't. Nothing the government does ever works as planned or ever comes in anywhere near the projected cost. And then there is the fundamental problem of turning over all the decisions that will determine your health, quality of life, and you longevity from cradle to grave to the government is just a leap of faith I am not willing to make. You can jump off of that cliff if you want to but I refuse to go with you willingly. Excuse me while I kick and scream all of the way to the BLOODY end and I mean that literally.

zzzzzzt
zzzzzzt 08/11/09 - 10:37 am
Stop smoking, eat decent

Stop smoking, eat decent food, exersize, and don't get fat. There, I just saved 100 trillion dollars in medical care over the next 30 years, and it didn't cost anything. No matter how much money you throw at preventative care, the truth of the matter is that people will abuse their bodies and expect the medical system to fix it. Most will keep doing what they are doing no matter how many people tell them to change. For prenatal care and pediatric care, there are currently programs in place so that everybody, including illegal aliens, has access to medical care regardless of their ability to pay. There are volunteer clinics in our area that provide free medical care. The health department provides preventative care and provides information on the resourses available in our area. The resources are there, many choose not to take advantage of them.

sjgraci
sjgraci 08/11/09 - 10:54 am
While you all are rallying

While you all are rallying against government run healthcare, let's do away with the true socialist healthcare systems in this country, the Military and the VA.

jack
jack 08/11/09 - 11:57 am
While you all are rallying

Posted by sjgraci on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 AM....I see you are at your usual low level of brilliance.

SusieQ
SusieQ 08/11/09 - 12:14 pm
sjgraci- My husband doesn't

sjgraci- My husband doesn't use Military or V.A. healthcare. There are guys that have served our country to keep your a** free and now it seems you want one more benefit that was promised them took away. Servicemen didn't get big paychecks, they had a few benefits that helped out. Now people like you want these taken away. People like you disgust me. Pray for our men and women in uniform!

Serioun
Serioun 08/11/09 - 12:44 pm
OK, I am going to try a

OK, I am going to try a little edumucation (as my mother would call it). People who work for the Govt. to include Federal workers, Senators, Congressmen, military, ect...are already in a govt. run health care program. It is pretty good and extremely competitive with rates. But, and please listen...in this program are millions of people. Which keeps cost extremely low. Now who do you think gets the better benefit and less cost passed on to them, it is the people in the million people program. While you folks who are in a program with 50, 500, 5,000...ect...get taken to the cleaners. So it would seem to me, I would want to be with the people who are part of the million or 250,000 people program for the best care and cheapest cost. It is called cost and demand, the more who want it or are involved the cheaper it is. Good example, it is cheaper to go to a big grocery store than to a little country grocery store, because of the inventory and the demand for the product.

Serioun
Serioun 08/11/09 - 12:53 pm
southernguy08, I blame

southernguy08, I blame nothing on the Repubthugs, because I consider them a non issue. They have no leader and no platform. I blame the Democrats and Independents so let this be a RALLYING CALL!! Democrats, Independents and all those who are like minded like us (see we don't have a perfect model you must fit In just come as you are and we can agree to disagree)..STAND UP!!...GO to your Senators and Congressman's Office, leave letters, call them, blog....Let DO THIS...Flex the muscle we already have!!! Blot out the foolshiness like we did in November and get the JOB DONE, HEALTH CARE REFORM...YES WE CAN!!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/11/09 - 01:08 pm
serioun lets debate the issue

serioun lets debate the issue of health care reform page by page. if it is such a wonderful idea surely your side would be glad to enlightens us commoners on all the postives in the bill. but you cant because the devil is in the details and it will not only tax us more but will greatly infringe on our freedoms of choice. you may have won in november but there is a lot of buyers remorse out here in the fly over country. those who voted against the radicals werent fooled then or are we fooled now. once a socialist always a socialist. but seriously all you big govt supporters lets debate it and also read it b/4 you try to sell it..

bdittle
bdittle 08/11/09 - 01:22 pm
The only thing I want

The only thing I want standing between me and my doctor is stock holder profits!!!!

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/11/09 - 01:33 pm
SERIOUN, glad you don't blame

SERIOUN, glad you don't blame Republicans. Now, if you'd answer my question? Do you really think that our government, trillions of dollars in debt and not even able to secure our borders, is capable of running nationalized healthcare? History has already proven you wrong.

LolaJean
LolaJean 08/11/09 - 01:40 pm
Serioun, Those INDEPENDENTS

Serioun, Those INDEPENDENTS and even some DIMS that you speak of feel that they were lied to last November. If you dont think so, check out those low approval ratings for the SuperStar Prez. But you go ahead and rally the troops if it will make you feel good! Hey I will agree with you that there needs to be healthcare reform, but if you and the Dims think this plan that is being rammed down our throats will be welcomed by the majority of the US citizens, you are sorely mistaken. The 2010 elections are not far off. Funny how it was ok to protest any and every thing Bush did for 8 years including calling him a racist and Hitler. Now any disagreements with BHO and his policies, are met with charges of being racist, Nazis, and even being called unamerican. Cant have it both ways DIMS.

cparker
cparker 08/11/09 - 01:43 pm
I believe national healthcare

I believe national healthcare is just that... An option. France has a hybrid national health plan that includes a government option and private insurers. No citizens is required to participate, the have the option to choose. The problem in the US is that to many of forget two things. First, many employers offer health insurance that exclude pre-existing health issues or the flip is someone in the group requires long term healthcare that adversely impacts the remainder of the group financially. Even when a person leaves the group they are offered COBRA at five times the rate they left. Finally, we all suffer financial by allowing poor citizens to live without healthcare for preventable diseases only to end up on SSI, medicaid, or indigent care at taxpayer expenses. The US spent $400 million in fees to provide these benefits just last year. We cry about healthcare reform, but I make good money and struggle to pay the $1340 month for my healthcare. I want to have more options because when I get older with a health problem, all of my conditions will be considered pre-existing and Blue Cross Blue Shield will not cover any of us. What should I do?

augusta1987
augusta1987 08/11/09 - 02:25 pm
southernguy08 you are always

southernguy08 you are always commenting about how the poll numbers for president obama and the democrats are falling. have you taken a look at the poll numbers for repubs? well the poll numbers for the repubs are much lower than for the president or democrats. that should tell you something. I can't wait until the 2010 elections because the repubs will lose big again and maybe finally that will shut you and the other conservatives repubs up for good.

sjgraci
sjgraci 08/11/09 - 02:38 pm
SQ it's reactionaries like

SQ it's reactionaries like you that lack comprehension skills that disgust me. You fail to see the irony that I am actually for the VA and military forms of socialized medicine. You are the one that is against it for others as long as you and your husband have it. You also did not come to the defense of Vets when their VA healthcare was taken away under Bush and the republicans. Did you know that Democrats and President Obama have actually begun allowing more access to Vets that have been denied over the past 8 years? I bet nought and that you hardly care. BTW, what branch and unit did you serve in? Typical Chicken Hawk.

obamtheflimflamman
obamtheflimflamman 08/11/09 - 02:39 pm
Wake up people, that smell is

Wake up people, that smell is not a gut wagon, that smell is the healthcare reform, the moron is tryin to force down your throat!

SusieQ
SusieQ 08/11/09 - 02:59 pm
sjgraci--I don't know of any

sjgraci--I don't know of any benefit Bush took away from us, actually he helped us. While he was in office at least the retired service man that was 100% disabled had his retired pay reinstated. I came to their defense lots of times as President of the VFW Ladies Auxiliary, (Four years), even got President of the Year. They did not take away benefits for the Military. They was taking them on their percentage of disability, if you had no disability you had a longer wait, and if you was financially able you paid a few dollars if you was in this category of not being ill because of being in service. I probably know a little more than you do when it comes to the military.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.