Parents, students get peek at Grovetown High

Grovetown High School students got their first glimpse of the new school during an open house Tuesday.

Back | Next
Freshman Hannah Hecker, 14, looks at her new math book after opening her locker for the first time during an open house held Tuesday. School starts Monday in Columbia County.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

Hundreds of students and their parents roamed the hallways of the school on Chamblin Road, checking out classrooms and obtaining their course schedules.

"I'm excited about coming here," said Kassie Tenaro, a former Harlem High student who will be a sophomore at Grovetown High. "The staff have been so open and nice. They've all been coming up to me and asking me if I'm ready for school and welcoming me."

The 15-year-old also liked the "openness" of her new school.

At 250,000 square feet, Grovetown High easily surpasses the county's next largest school, 190,000-square-foot Greenbrier High.

Camisha Burton, a 17-year-old senior, had the option to remain at her former school, Harlem High. Instead, she chose to become a member of the first graduating class at the new school.

"It's not something everyone gets to do," she said.

Camisha said she expects to see many of her former Harlem classmates at the new school.

Because of rezonings approved in 2008, Harlem High lost about 600 students to the new $40 million school. About 400 former Greenbrier students were rezoned for Grovetown, and 100 others were rezoned for Harlem. Evans High lost 200 to 300 students, with about half rezoned for Grovetown High and the other half rezoned for Lakeside.

When classes start Monday, school officials are expecting 1,000 to 1,200 students to cross the threshold at Grovetown.

Before Tuesday's open house, a dedication ceremony was held in a packed gymnasium.

One particularly proud audience member was former Grovetown Mayor Dennis Trudeau, who said he has pushed school officials to build a Grovetown high school for about 20 years.

"I'm walking on air," Mr. Trudeau said after the ceremony. "It's a great thing for the kids of Grovetown to have a place that they can call their own.

"This is something that makes us all very proud."

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115, or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/05/09 - 02:17 am
KUDOS to the CCBOE Chair

KUDOS to the CCBOE Chair Regina Buccafusco, her board colleagues, Mr. Nagle and former Grovetown Mayor Dennis Trudeau for the magnificent physical plant and grounds at GTHS!

ColCo
ColCo 08/05/09 - 06:13 am
Why was a shcool so far from

Why was a shcool so far from Grovetown named Grovetown High?

bone
bone 08/05/09 - 06:41 am
the school is in grovetown

the school is in grovetown zip code, colco. there is a significant stretch of land north of I-20 that isn't part of the grovetown city limits but is in the zip. beautiful school, too.

ColCo
ColCo 08/05/09 - 07:05 am
Bone, I realize that, there

Bone, I realize that, there is a large number of people who think the school has been misnamed. I agree that the facility is first class.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 08/05/09 - 08:06 am
Once again, CCBOE rubs it in

Once again, CCBOE rubs it in Harlem's face; oldest schools, oldest furniture, weakest faculties, and of course, the worst test scores, oh yeah, one more, plummeting property values due to poor schools while the city of Harlem fiddles.

Townie
Townie 08/05/09 - 08:20 am
Makes me wish I were in high

Makes me wish I were in high school again. Nothing like the smell of new textbooks and the excitement of a new school year! Congrats Grovetown! Well done. I am proud to say I live in Grovetown!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/09 - 08:36 am
ColCo, oh I know why, but I

ColCo, oh I know why, but I ain't saying.

bone
bone 08/05/09 - 10:12 am
a large number of people

a large number of people complained that naming a school Grovetown High would appear to reference the trailer park history of the area. fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and the powers-that-be - for whatever sinister reason alluded to by riverman1 - gave some credibility to the growing population of middle class homeowners in the 30813 zip code. i was approached by someone who wanted me to sign a petition to change the name; humorously enough, both the requester and I live in the same grovetown neighborhood. her contention was that grovetown high would be synonymous with low-class; i asked her if she felt that she or i were low class and, if not, then we should be part of a positive change to the negative image attached to grovetown. sorry to be so long-winded, but this has been a minor irritant to me for some time.

klsm
klsm 08/05/09 - 10:30 am
look for yourself ... no more

look for yourself ... no more trailer park mentality ... http://www.city-data.com/zips/30813.html

scoobynews
scoobynews 08/05/09 - 11:36 am
Grovetown happens to be one

Grovetown happens to be one of the top choices amoung our military personnel for buying or renting a home. Does this mean our military families are "low class"??? I think it is about time the children of Grovetown had a high school of their own to be proud of.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/05/09 - 11:59 am
Hey Bone...no sinister

Hey Bone...no sinister motive. I just happen to know who acted as the "historical" consultant who suggested a few names. Ditto with Stallings Island. Yeah, we all joked a lot about Grovetown, but it beats Philadelphia...if you happen to know about that name in the area.