Mother to stay in mental institution

An Augusta woman who was found not guilty by reason of insanity in the stabbing deaths of her two small children will remain in a mental institution for at least another year.

Jeanette Hawes: Mother who stabbed her two children told the judge Monday "I have gotten 100 percent better."  Special
Special

Chief Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet made the decision Monday at the conclusion of a Richmond County Superior Court hearing.

Two doctors who examined Jeanette Hawes, 24, said she was insane at the time she killed 3-year-old Shakayla Hawes and 1-year-old Jordan Hawes on Nov. 29, 2007.

The doctors believe Ms. Hawes suffered a psychotic breakdown that afternoon when she walked her children inside the restroom at the Lumpkin Road convenience store and repeatedly stabbed them.

In a Jan. 7 bench trial, Judge Overstreet found her not guilty by reason of insanity.

Monday's hearing, which is called a 30-day hearing, was delayed until Ms. Hawes could be returned from the mental hospital in Savannah, Ga., Assistant Public Defender Debra Neumann said.

Ms. Neumann cited the most recent mental evaluation, which indicated that Ms. Hawes' mental health needs could be handled through outpatient care.

Assistant District Attorney Philip Catalano pointed to the section of the report that stated Ms. Hawes continues to lack insight into what happened and that she experiences negative thoughts when not medicated.

A relapse is still possible, he said.

Ms. Hawes and her family of supporters believes she has recovered from the psychotic episode sufficiently to return home.

"I have gotten 100 percent better, Judge Overstreet," Ms. Hawes said. She pledged to always take medication as prescribed.

Judge Overstreet said he was still concerned about her ability to care for herself and to consistently take her medication.

He declined to end her commitment.

By law, a judge has to annually review the case of anyone committed to a mental institution after a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

SASSIJAI
SASSIJAI 08/04/09 - 03:40 pm
if there are any real jesus

if there are any real jesus followers out there let's get together and pray for all children and the parents who are and are not having hard struggles with them.i know people are angry and upset with this situation and everyone is entiled to their freedom of speech;but truly put yourself in ms.hawes shoes it have happened to you,and we don't don't know from one moment to another what we would do if faced with some serious pressures.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 03:57 pm
The staff writer needs to

The staff writer needs to correct this title, Mother to stay in mental institution. She's not a mother.
Has far as her coming in the court room with that big smile, she knows that she will get out of what she has done. She needs to be kept off of the streets and watched over if she is really mental.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/04/09 - 03:59 pm
SASSIJAI, You are so right

SASSIJAI, You are so right about the demonic forces of Satan and the spiritual battle that goes on daily. Many do not want to believe but there is no other explanation for all this evil in the world and those who have the Spirit of Christ indwelled in them need to be on their knees daily praying for the ones who do not because it is only going to get worse.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/04/09 - 04:04 pm
christie, I believe the

christie, I believe the definition of a mother is someone who has birthed a child which she did twice. She may not be a good mother or even worthy of that title, but she is a mother none the less. I guess your the expert now and know for sure this young girl is trying to fool the courts and doctors and she really doesn't have a mental issue. I agree she does not need to be released but unless you are her physician I don't think you can really say whether she's sane or not....of course I guess you can but it would only be an opinion not fact.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 04:19 pm
InCRISTLOVE, Please don't try

InCRISTLOVE, Please don't try to preach to me, I now my bible. She is no longer a mom or a mother. She killed that title herself.
Does not take a expert to see what all has been printed about her to know for a FACT..........SHE IS A MURDERER weather she be sain or not. She will burn and pay for what she has done one day.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 04:21 pm
BTW, Doesn't make a sperm

BTW, Doesn't make a sperm donor a father now does it?????

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/04/09 - 04:23 pm
Don't know why you are

Don't know why you are attacking me and believe me nothing in my 5:04pm post has anything to do with preaching to you or about the bible. The definition came from the Webster dictionary. My, you are cranky! I never denied that she is or is not a murderer. You made the statement she wasn't a mother and I simply responded with the definition. You insinuated she wasn't insane and I simplty responded that unless you are her doctor, none of us really know what her mental capacity is. Whether she burns and pays for what she did is left up to God to decide not you or I.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 04:39 pm
INGODLOVE, all you ever do is

INGODLOVE, all you ever do is try to preach to people on here. I don't feel she is insane. You think that was an attack? I only asked you to preach to someone who cares. I know that there is a God and a heaven but people like you who even have to use GOD in thier name on here go to the extreme and act like you know it all so please understand, we are all here with our opinions so we don't have to agree, I don't care what you think. May she burn in HELL! Does it make a sperm donor a father? Like I said, she killed the mother title.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/04/09 - 04:45 pm
christie, I do not preach on

christie, I do not preach on here. I might voice my opinion just like you or anyone else on here. I thought that's what this forum was for. You may know there is a God but you don't know God which is evident by your "preach to someone who cares" attitude. I don't know it all, I only have my point of view which was in response to your point of view. Like you said we don't have to agree but to personally attack someone because they have a different opinon is low. I didn't ask if you cared what I thought. A sperm donor is a biological father but doesn't make a dad...as for killing the mother title, like I said before a mother is someone who birthed a child, doesn't make her a mom. Of course this is just my opinion so keep your personal attacks to yourself please.

Tots
Tots 08/04/09 - 04:55 pm
I would say, It doesn't

I would say, It doesn't matter if she was sane or insane at the time she killed her babies.(SHE KILLED HER BABIES).

Tots
Tots 08/04/09 - 04:59 pm
She should stay locked up.In

She should stay locked up.In prison or a mental institution.

Tots
Tots 08/04/09 - 05:31 pm
I do understand how hard life

I do understand how hard life can be.To be a mother when life is so overwhelming.To love a man and feel your losing him because of your babies.

Tots
Tots 08/04/09 - 05:44 pm
I've even had thoughts of

I've even had thoughts of ending the pain.But in the end you and you alone have to make the choice.Right or wrong.But if you make the wrong choice you should have to pay.

Tots
Tots 08/04/09 - 05:57 pm
I chose my babies.It's been

I chose my babies.It's been hard sometimes very hard.But one just turned twenty the other one sixteen.To hear them say I love you,well that tells me I made the right choice.

marien
marien 08/04/09 - 07:21 pm
I agree she is not ready for

I agree she is not ready for society, and Evans was right she was smiling and waving to someone in the court room. This woman is not stable.The mind can snap and hers is still snapping.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 07:31 pm
Awww, Tots, I am so glad you

Awww, Tots, I am so glad you are a strong women hun. I to have been there with the ups and downs. You touched me hearing that. I agree with your post.

russian7.62
russian7.62 08/04/09 - 07:51 pm
No she should be pushing up

No she should be pushing up daises and not costing the taxpayer 1 cent for her worthless azz!

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 07:54 pm
PREACHER, I refuse to keep

PREACHER, I refuse to keep going on and on with you so I choose to not reply to you anymore because you twist words. A sperm doner is not a father or a dad nor is she a mother or a mom. Please stop attacking, we all are here to voice. Just my opinion. I will pray for you to be a nicer person.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/04/09 - 07:59 pm
You are hilarious christie.

You are hilarious christie. I'm the one that told you to stop attacking me for my opinion and now you want to say I'm the one attacking you. I too, do not wish to discuss this further with you because you are the one twisting words. Maybe you shouldn't worry about me and pray that you have a nicer outlook towards others who have their own opinion that may not agree with yours. BTW, I think you got my name wrong but that's okay, just goes to prove my point that YOU have issues.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 08:08 pm
LOL, just like I see in all

LOL, just like I see in all of your post, you don't know when to stop, you keep going on and on. Why? We voiced our opinions so that should be it so please chill out and calm down. BTW, I do not a any nice words to say about someone who takes lives of anyone much less her own children. How can you say that I should. I agree with you russian7.62.

russian7.62
russian7.62 08/04/09 - 08:13 pm
2 little innocent

2 little innocent children----I would have taken them!

mable8
mable8 08/04/09 - 08:14 pm
For all of you who hope this

For all of you who hope this woman never goes free, forget it, she will just as soon as the judge agrees with the two psychiatrists who say she is "cured." Ms Neumann seems to think 6 months in a hospital is sufficient time away from her client's family. I don't believe she was insane at the time she committed the murders; unfortunately, she opted for a bench trial. However, the judge would have been more correct had he ruled guilty, but insane; at least then she could then be transferred to prison once her hospitalization was completed. As it is, she got off scot free; let's hope she doesn't repeat her act in the future (as some of these people tend to do) and destroy someone else's family as she did hers.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/04/09 - 08:18 pm
Why? Because you don't just

Why? Because you don't just voice your opinion, you go off on some wild goose chase of a conversation. You personally attacked me saying I was preaching to you (when I never once brought the bible into my comment), then you call me Preacher when my post name is something else. I never said you needed to speak nice about Ms. Hawes I said you need to be a nicer person. This will be my last post to you concerning this....but go ahead, I'm sure you can't resist slamming me again one more time. Hope it makes you feel better.

christie
christie 08/04/09 - 08:22 pm
Amen!

Amen!

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...