Vick nears deal with team

The rejection notices for Michael Vick came from coaches Lovie Smith of the Bears, Jeff Fisher of the Titans and Tom Cable of the Raiders. But Patriots coach Bill Belichick wouldn't say whether his team is interested in the quarterback.

The former Falcons star, who served 18 months for running a dogfighting ring, said he is getting close to signing with a pro football team. Vick was conditionally reinstated Monday by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell .

BEARS: QB Jay Cutler and star linebacker Brian Urlacher shot down reports of a rift, saying they're simply not true.

Former Bears receiver Bobby Wade caused a stir when he told Minneapolis radio station KFAN-AM that Urlacher used a profanity while questioning Cutler's manhood during a conversation in Las Vegas last weekend.

Chicago radio station WSCR-AM also reported that Urlacher had to be restrained from confronting Cutler during organized team activities.

JETS: Running back Leon Washington , in a contract dispute while seeking a big raise, was a no-show as players reported for the start of training camp.

VIKINGS: Defensive end Kenechi Udeze retired, ending a remarkable comeback from leukemia.

Giants: Linebacker Antonio Pierce appeared Thursday before the grand jury investigating weapons charges against former teammate Plaxico Burress and was expected to return today.

RAIDERS: Rookie receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey signed a five-year contract that will guarantee him at least $23.5 million.

Justthefacts please
Justthefacts please 07/31/09 - 08:07 am
If Vick was white you can bet

If Vick was white you can bet your bottom dollar that Goodell would never have agreed to a conditional reinstatement. I am an animal lover and owner of five dogs. I don't attend pro football games, don't buy NFL apparel and souvenirs and seldom watch a game on television. If I did follow pro football, my wallet would be closed and I would spend my time watching the Home and Garden channel. I am, at this time, calling for a complete boycott of any team that signs this Neanderthal. I would call him a skunk, but skunks are nice little animals just trying to get along.

Justthefacts please
Justthefacts please 07/31/09 - 08:25 am
If Vick was white you can bet

jack234
jack234 07/31/09 - 09:10 am
Vick has paid his debt to

Vick has paid his debt to society as ordered by the court. As any ex prison who has served his time, we wish him well in trying to remake his life. HELLO! HELLO!

imho1
imho1 07/31/09 - 09:58 am
jack234; do you have

jack234; do you have turrett's syndrome or something? What is with the HELLO! HELLO! at the end of all of your comments?

justus4
justus4 07/31/09 - 10:33 am
The NFL will benefit from

The NFL will benefit from Vick's performance on the field, but the idiots that attempt to hide their racism, by using the dog fighting charge, are really showing their true beliefs. The real issue is with Michael Vick's race and most minorities know that truth. The country is actually a racist place, but particular national events unmask the true hatred of particular groups, however, another issue is used as a proxy, i.e. dog fighting and the treatment of animals. Ha! This is about losers & closet racist who resent the ability of minority men to make huge amounts of money doing what few others can achieve. This is clear hatred and deserve to be called just that: Hate.

cara1985
cara1985 07/31/09 - 11:11 am
justus, i think you have

justus, i think you have clear hatred, of everyone who isn't black, that is

jboy
jboy 07/31/09 - 02:36 pm
justus you are an idiot, Vick

justus you are an idiot, Vick is not that good anyway.

Nay Sayer
Nay Sayer 07/31/09 - 04:18 pm
Justus... shut up. You're

Justus... shut up. You're just trying to make it a racial issue when its not. Just shut up