Cow-killing was simply sickening

I am appalled and sickened by the fatal cow-beating incident in the Augusta area recently. Once again, Augusta is the Shameful Garden City.

Shame on the Columbia County sheriff! Shame on Georgia Department of Agriculture! Shame on the U.S. Department of Agriculture! Their spineless interpretations of the law, total disrespect for life and flippant attitude toward the entire incident is embarrassing and disgusting.

Shame on cow owner Joel Franco! Surely a man of his character owns a firearm. Could he not have spared one bullet to kill this cow for food? Or better yet: Has he ever heard of a grocery store? Bon appetit .

May God forgive us for such ignorance and arrogance.

Jean Strein

North Augusta, S.C.

peace4784
peace4784 07/30/09 - 04:54 am
Jean Strien you and those who

Jean Strien you and those who think like you are sickening. Joel Franco was within his rights. Why don't you save your disgust for the wealthy, obese animal lovers who throw away money rescuing and housing animals while babies and children are starving to death daily. Or, for the animal worshiping authorities who flippantly allowed black people to drown during katrina.

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/30/09 - 05:57 am
peace, I have no idea how you

peace, I have no idea how you link the Bush Administration, FEMA, and animal lovers. Do you have any idea how many animals died during and in the aftermath of Katrina? People were forced to leave their pets behind, by order of the authorities. IN what way did the Powers That Be place animals above black people? No, the Bush Administration and Heckuva-Job-Brownie kissed off New Orleans--black, white, brown, and fur-bearing. Second, I have said this before and I'll say it again: People who spend free time and money helping to rescue animals ARE NOT slighting starving children. We are, each of us, called to do what we can and what gives us meaning. I support children's charities financially...but I give my time to dogs. That give my life meaning. And there is nothing sick about it.

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/30/09 - 06:02 am
And one more thing: Whenever

And one more thing: Whenever I've challenged someone with your views, Peace (that people shouldn't care about animals when there are so many people, specifically children, in need) I invariably discover that the person ISN'T DOING ANYTHING. No volunteer work, no financial support...just griping at those who are doing something, just not what the complainer deems appropriate. So, what are you doing, Peace?

getalife
getalife 07/30/09 - 06:28 am
While the act of killing the

While the act of killing the cow may have been legal, I'm sure it was sickening to others within the neighborhood. This type event should be done at a processing facility.

justus4
justus4 07/30/09 - 06:52 am
Great letter! Now, go get a

Great letter! Now, go get a picket sign and vent your rage at your local law enforcement's intrepretation of laws that may put other's health in jeopardy, becasue a fellow citizen was only "providing food" for his family. There MUST be a violation of some health issue, but overlooked. Overlooked because soneone has EMPATHY for this guy and UNDERSTANDS his plight. Problems is, a similuar situated individual, who looks different, would have had the Center for Disease Control (CBC) crawling around looking for germs and threatening prosecution. In this case, his individual freedoms prevailed... regardless of how "simply sickening" the writer thinks the act was.

peace4784
peace4784 07/30/09 - 07:02 am
Hotfoot you and your fellow

Hotfoot you and your fellow animal worshipers have issues. You are not capable of understanding my point. You feel you must cater to a dog in order for your life to have meaning. You really don't care whether a child starves to death or not. Then, you are going to try and marginalize me for speaking up for the life of a starving child so that you can feel good about yourself catering to a dog. You say you are doing something. Pissing in the wind is doing something. Wake up! Children and babies should not be starving to death while obese people are spending billions catering to animals because of there emotional and self esteem issues. Billions are spent on dieting. Billions are spent catering to animals. While millions of children stave to death. Hotfoot you are like the typical churchgoer who tosses some money in the collection plate then later feels justified indulging their self serving sin. The point is we are all guilty in the death of each child who dies of starvation becasue of our own selfish ambitions. The difference between me and you is that I am willing to admit my guilt. Each time you feed that dog remember a child created in God's likeness just died of hunger.

easy breezy
easy breezy 07/30/09 - 07:08 am
Yes indeed....they should

Yes indeed....they should have had the cow processed. How many people do you know who kill a cow in this manner and in an upscale neighborhood at that. It was the WAY he killed the cow people!!!! Very inhumane and sick!! If you think this is acceptable then you definitely need your head checked!!!

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/30/09 - 07:22 am
Hey, lunatic. That's

Hey, lunatic. That's right--you--"Peace" (great moniker for one who spews so much hatred). You haven't answered my question: What do YOU do to help starving children? You, personally. Working to pull a dog from a kill shelter and transport him to safety is NOT "catering" to him or "worshipping" him. I'm neither obese nor do I spend a penny on "dieting". You say that I "don't care whether a child starves to death". YOu know NOTHING about me except that I volunteer my time to keep dogs from being killed--something that happens because we humans don't want to spend the small amount it would take to spay or neuter, and because people treat pets as accessories to their "lifestyles". I believe it is everyone's responsibility to try to reduce suffering on this earth, so I repeat: What are YOU doing, "Peace"? Besides berating animal-lovers, I mean. What a waste of f-ing time.

opiner
opiner 07/30/09 - 07:26 am
Jean, do you know lobsters

Jean, do you know lobsters are boiled alive? Do you know about Foie Gras? Commercially raised chickens and some Kobe beef are all cruel ways of preparing food to eat. I hear carrots are pulled up by the roots without so much as a "by your leave". Maybe we should all stop eating.

Pu239
Pu239 07/30/09 - 07:33 am
Peace? would this then mean

Peace? would this then mean you are a poor, skinny, masochist with a penchant for cruelty to animals, that can't swim?

peace4784
peace4784 07/30/09 - 07:36 am
I guess it takes a lunatic to

I guess it takes a lunatic to recognize a lunatic. I have not answered your questions because I don't answer to lunatics. However, you need to understand something. I will be very clear. I am a retired veteran. I have earned the right to speak freely. You and no one else will prevent me from doing so. Just like I have put my life on the line in defense of this country, as God as my witness, I will defend my right of freedom of speech.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 07/30/09 - 07:49 am
If anyone thinks the

If anyone thinks the slaughter of this cow was cruel, visit a local meat packing plant and observe how the animals are slaughtered.There is no mercy, though it is done in a humane way. This man may have gone about it in the wrong way, and there was a lot quicker way to kill the cow, but he did not have any criminal intent in mind.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/30/09 - 07:52 am
40-50-60 years ago, this

40-50-60 years ago, this wouldn't have been news worthy. This is how it was done "back in the day." If this had happened on a farm, it wouldn't be news worthy. No, apparently Mr. Franco didn't break any laws. He probably used a hammer to avoid a discharge of firearm violation in his yard. Would I have butchered an animal for consumption in my back yard in a residential area? No. I would have taken it to a meat processing facility. Maybe Mr. Franco was trying to do it the old fashioned way in an effort to save money. After all, times are tough.

soldout
soldout 07/30/09 - 07:58 am
At no point did his right to

At no point did his right to kill the cow effect anyone else's rights; that is called freedom. We all need to use it so others will know what it is. If we forget what freedom is we won't fight for it.

How many of these upset people voted for pro-death candidates in elections? If you did you may be a person who worships the creation rather than the creator. Everybody has a God and worships something. It may be golf, tv, race, money or something but we all worship. Whatever you think about the most is your God. There is only one good God and all the others put you in bondage while Jesus gives freedom.

opiner
opiner 07/30/09 - 08:08 am
Posters can't even agree on

Posters can't even agree on which aspect of the cow killing they feel was .... immoral? or cruel? or icky? Preparing "living breathing critters" for consumption is not a business for the easily confused or easily offended. The name "slaughter house" should give some kind of hint of what goes on. If you were to see the "preparation" of a rabbit for consumption, you'd be just as incensed as those offended by this cow prep. And yet, so many have no problem with cutting the head off a living fish, or splitting it open to spill out it's entrails, or removing it's outer covering. I guess it's all perspective.

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 07/30/09 - 08:23 am
I am kind of confused about

I am kind of confused about the "starving children part" what does that have to do with anything. Eventhough I don't agree with the manner in which the cow was slaughtered (just my opinion) I am just really lost on the part where we went from obese to starving children to black people and pets being forgotten?? [filtered word] that is really on the up and down bipolar side. I to am a veteran and believe in freedom of speech but I also respect other people's opinions and don't take to name calling. I take in animals all the time and get them fixed and my husband's pay goes to help starving children--TAXES!!! Can someone answer me this WHY IS IT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LICENSE TO OWN A DOG---SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HAVE A LICENSE TO HAVE A KID TO. Makes you wonder doesn't it??? Just a thought. How about I just go and fix a person that is having 5 or 6 kids and on the system would that work better for you???

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/30/09 - 08:25 am
When I first read this

When I first read this article, my first thought was "Oh my gosh, how horrible" but after reading all the comments it brough back to mind that my family has done similar things. We raised chickens when I was young and many of times I'd see my father ring a chickens neck, boil it and we'd have to help pluck the feathers. Might sound gross but that fried chicken sure tasted good. If this had been a pig instead of a cow, would there be this much outrage about it. I think because it's not as common to slaughter our own food in today's time, is the reason so much controversy has been over this.

_fullmetaljacket
_fullmetaljacket 07/30/09 - 08:31 am
Come on folks, this is no

Come on folks, this is no different than wringing a chicken's neck in your back yard! If this is all you peta people have to worry about, you have it made, don't you?

christie
christie 07/30/09 - 08:32 am
Jean, I could not have said

Jean, I could not have said it better myself. Most people on here defending that crazy fool sound just as mental.

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/30/09 - 08:41 am
sure the man could have used

sure the man could have used a gun......then he would be in jail for discharging a firearm in public.........

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 07/30/09 - 08:43 am
Hi, I'm the cow this letter

Hi, I'm the cow this letter referred to. It wasn't so bad. I'm a cow! I knew what my owner was feeding me for all those years. I knew that one day it would be my turn. I saw it happen to my parents and my brothers and sisters. What I want to tell you, Jean, is to lighten up. Whether we are killed at home (we call it hospice) or at a slaughter house (Yucky!), it's all the same. Those burgers you eat from McDonalds - those cows were killed the same way: POW! A blow to the head. It's over quickly. But let me tell you something. My whole life was designed to feed my owner or even some of you. Now my body cells are strengthening your very bodies. That's not bad for a simple cow, is it? Perhaps the people I strengthen will go on to become policemen or soldiers or doctors and save the lives of humans! Oh, and by the way, a BULLET! You wanted me to be shot! That would have ruined my meat and could have hit an innocent human! ARE YOU NUTS?!

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/30/09 - 08:56 am
JesusIsComng, you are truly

JesusIsComng, you are truly sick. You believe that a cow's "whole life was designed to feed my owner"???????? Your Christianity is immensely self-serving, isn't it? As a human being, YOU are the center of the universe. You'll take whatever you want from Nature, you'll rape Mother Earth and murder other creatures, all because you interpret the Bible to say that you have dominion over all. "Ruined my meat" indeed....I hope you choke on it.

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/30/09 - 09:01 am
peace, your status as a

peace, your status as a veteran has nothing to do with this. Goody for you. I respect veterans, but that doesn't mean I respect everything they say. I never said you don't have free speech. I just said that what you say is appalling. If I tell you that my family donated money to help the Katrina victims, would you still say I'm a lunatic with "issues"? Does that mitigate the horrible crime of helping dogs?

opiner
opiner 07/30/09 - 09:02 am
murder other creatures? LOL

murder other creatures? LOL Someone from People for the Ethical Treatment of Vegetables ought to speak up.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/30/09 - 09:04 am
Simply amazing...one dead cow

Simply amazing...one dead cow incites such indignation, but millions of unborn babies butchered every year doesn't even get a mention. Fetuses can't even get the rank of animals or protection under animal cruelty laws. We are living in some messed up times. God forgive us.

plzgetalife
plzgetalife 07/30/09 - 09:14 am
To all that complain.....stop

To all that complain.....stop eating meat all together!!! Regardless the animal was breed for your enjoyment... to look at or to eat!! So stop complaining!!!

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 07/30/09 - 09:17 am
How many human beings have

How many human beings have been killed recently? You need to spend a little time on something worthwhile. If this had been a human being I'll bet you wouldn't have said a thing.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 07/30/09 - 11:19 am
peace you are now a flipping

peace you are now a flipping idiot. I hope you do not have children to carry your idiot genes after you are dead. The issue at hand is, the proper way to kill a cow. If they would have done it by going to a processing plant it would not have been an issue or even some other way instead of using a hammer. Processing plants use a method that is quicker.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 07/30/09 - 11:30 am
I haven't heard the details.

I haven't heard the details. Did the cow suffer? Did he use a 32oz ball peen, and snuff him with one or two whacks, or did he use a tack hammer and plink the cow's nog for half a day?

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 07/30/09 - 11:34 am
Regular hammer

Regular hammer

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...