Why don 't we get Social Security refunds?

Some facts:

- More money is collected in Social Security taxes each year than is needed to pay the Social Security benefits for that year.

- The surplus of tax money collected for Social Security is deposited in the U.S. Department of the Treasury's General Fund and spent by the U.S. Congress on non-Social Security expenses. Every year. All of it.

- Therefore, the extra money collected in the name of Social Security is in reality just income tax.

- When we pay more income tax than we need to, we get an income tax refund.

Since we all pay more Social Security tax than we need to each year, why don't we get a Social Security tax refund each year?

Why do you let your representatives in Congress take your Social Security tax refund away from you each year?

I've written Rep. Paul Broun and Sens. Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss to tell them I want the portion of the Social Security tax money taken out of my paychecks that is not spent to pay for Social Security benefits to be refunded back to me. Have you?

I've sent the above information to all my friends around the country, asking them to write their representatives in the U.S. House of Representatives and in the U.S. Senate to ask for the excess Social Security taxes they paid to be refunded to them. Have you?

Steve Smith

Grovetown

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 07/28/09 - 02:44 am
Maybe you should have

Maybe you should have listened up in your high school civics class. WOW??

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 07/28/09 - 05:03 am
WOW! Math major there, huh?

WOW! Math major there, huh?

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 07/28/09 - 07:35 am
How's that working out for

How's that working out for you skippy? Silly rabbit trix are for kids.

justus4
justus4 07/28/09 - 07:47 am
This guy is way off his

This guy is way off his rocker. They are spending Soc. Sec. dollars on others things and this poor guy probably thinks the money paid out is what he paid in...Ha! And ALL getting SSA/SSI get thousands more than they paid in...wow! This guy don't know this stuff?!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/28/09 - 07:55 am
He's a government school

He's a government school graduate. Cut him some slack.

TechLover
TechLover 07/28/09 - 07:57 am
I wouldn't bet he's a school

I wouldn't bet he's a school graduate, public or private.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/28/09 - 08:11 am
JUSTUS, he's just a product

JUSTUS, he's just a product of the "publik skuul sistem" you and other libs claim needs more money and shouldn't be competed against with vouchers for private schools. Of course, your last sentence, "This guy don't know his stuff?!" wasn't much of a positive testimony of the school system either. It reminded me of the shirt I saw a young African-American male wearing the other day that said, "Just say no to education!" It had a school with a circle around it and a line through it on the front. It is so sad.

concernednative
concernednative 07/28/09 - 08:32 am
southernguy, do you think

southernguy, do you think telling us he was an young african-american male made your point any better?

concernednative
concernednative 07/28/09 - 08:33 am
Steve Smith illustrates all

Steve Smith illustrates all that is wrong with the far right. He tries to find some theory to bash every tax whether he understands them or not.

colcamp1
colcamp1 07/28/09 - 08:40 am
SOUTHERNGUY, I saw a White

SOUTHERNGUY, I saw a White teenager with a shirt that said ' just say yes to being a backward idiot" with your picture on it. Just as believable as your B.S. post at 8:11 AM.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 09:03 am
colcamp1....was that a 5/O or

colcamp1....was that a 5/O or a 6/O hook in your mouth? That must be a gnarly gash.

woodsman
woodsman 07/28/09 - 09:04 am
If excess income from FICA

If excess income from FICA tax was saved for the purpose of future social security payouts which will be increasing each year as the baby boom generation grows older, then the social security program could be a sound program. This system will hit the tipping point where payout exceeds income, and this point is near. At that point they will ask the taxpayers and not the recipients for the extra money. If the government could just act with responsibility we could all be understanding and proud, but our elected officials act more like 18 yr olds with new lines of credit everyday.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 09:08 am
Steve Smith has learned a

Steve Smith has learned a valuable lesson, he can recognize the fraud, waste and abuse involved with taxes, no matter how the Democrats disguise them. If the far left hadn't convinced itself that they "could never spend all of Social Security's money"....we might not be in this mess.

concernednative
concernednative 07/28/09 - 09:10 am
Woodsman, power corrupts. I

Woodsman, power corrupts. I mean out the 535 members of congress you know intellectually they know better. But the power and more than anything wanting to stay elected and in power just makes them loose their minds.

AAQueen
AAQueen 07/28/09 - 09:11 am
Southernguy I've seen that

Southernguy I've seen that same shirt on a white teen. No matter who has it on it is sad.

You folks sure like to bring race into everything. What a shame.

AAQueen
AAQueen 07/28/09 - 09:15 am
Woodsman a voice of

Woodsman a voice of reasoning

They say SS has IOUs for the money loaned LOL

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 09:16 am
I hear the baby-boomer clock

I hear the baby-boomer clock ticking....or is that a ticking time bomb for Social Security...I don't think it matters which it is. You leftist guerillas are running out of time.

AAQueen
AAQueen 07/28/09 - 09:18 am
Tujeez Keep quiet because you

Tujeez
Keep quiet because you don't even try to disguise your ignorance. This has been going on for years with both Democrats and Cons in office

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 09:56 am
Yes AAQueen...it's the

Yes AAQueen...it's the Democrats who are tax and spend......it must have been the Republicans who stole all of the Social Security money huh?......Who controlled the Congress in the years SS was robbed?...I mean, when all of the I O U's were written and put in the SS till? Keep moving your lips AAQ, Obama hit the mute button....

mad_max
mad_max 07/28/09 - 10:50 am
Everyone knows SS is about to

Everyone knows SS is about to implode. The Democrats have not mentioned it YET. They want to put limits and rationing on the seniors medical care and get that passed BEFORE they decide to "fix" SS by limiting payments to those who are "too rich". "Too rich" will translate to anyone who has ANY OTHER INCOME besides SS. You know, like a small retirement check or maybe some investment income. Prepare to have that deducted from your SS payment. Somehow they will rationalize that it makes no difference if you paid into the system for 50 years. You should not be greedy and want some of your money back. THAT IS WHY THE DEMOCRATS HAVE BEEN TOTALLY QUIET ABOUT SOCIAL SECURITY. They have a plan, but they don't want you to know it BEFORE they get control of your healthcare. Just like trying to pass healthcare before the bill is written and debated, they are operating under the "never show all of your cards" theory. Social Security is NEXT.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 11:00 am
Yes Steve, the Democrats have

Yes Steve, the Democrats have robbed social security blind, but they say the till has their IOU's...Backed by the full faith and credit of the US Government. They're going to pay that money back, just as soon as they can raise taxes high enough to give them a surplus....maybe we should collect these IOU's from the members of congress who spent this money, rather than the taxpayers of our future generations...

Mrs Genevive Bait
Mrs Genevive Bait 07/28/09 - 11:34 am
I'm on social security. I

I'm on social security. I have other money, too, but I do draw a check. I use that money irresponsibly. I buy a lot of car wax and I use it to wax my feet to keep the rain off, and i buy bananas to throw off the bridge onto the interstate. I also buy ladies underwear and mail it to married men with a note attached, "I just want you to remember me." Bunny. I also have a Cadillac and I drive it through bushes at 50 mph as I scream Yeeee Hawwwwwww.

That's what happens you you give away money to old people. Steve Smith has it right.

LaTwon
LaTwon 07/28/09 - 12:35 pm
abolish the federal govt

abolish the federal govt now................. a useless parasite.
a breeder of parasites. my how the ticks scream when the dog dies.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/28/09 - 12:44 pm
Someone is eating too much

Someone is eating too much anger pie, and stupid pie, and ego pie and bully pie, know it all pie.....

Mrs Genevives Neighbor
Mrs Genevives Neighbor 07/28/09 - 12:48 pm
Ahh, so you're the one who

Ahh, so you're the one who drove through my rose bushes, Mrs. Genevive!! Next time could you aim a little to the right and take out the hubby's dogwood? Those blooms just play havoc with my allergies. Thanks bunches! :)

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 02:04 pm
Bunny....I finally found you!

Bunny....I finally found you! Is that bait you sprinkled on those underwear?

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 02:07 pm
And I guess Peace Lover,

And I guess Peace Lover, you're just looking for a peace of your own pie.

Pu239
Pu239 07/28/09 - 03:59 pm
Bernie Madoff should be

Bernie Madoff should be appointed to be the SS Czar..... Now that guy could show the Fed a thing or two about a PONZI scheme!

mable8
mable8 07/28/09 - 05:16 pm
Well Steve Smith, the only

Well Steve Smith, the only thing I can agree with in your LTE is the fact that Congress does use Social Security to fund their pet projects. However, you will not receive a refund at the end of the year because of their pilfering. By the way, you have already paid taxes on those FICA withdrawals before your get your check--it's what makes the differnce between actual earnings and net income. If you are working, you are able to file for refunds at the end of each year; if you are not working, then you do not qualify for deductions (especially if your income is $3000 or less) even if you are still paying a mortgage.

corgimom
corgimom 07/28/09 - 08:42 pm
Why doesn't my car insurer

Why doesn't my car insurer and my home insurer refund me back all the money from my policy that they don't use every year? Why doesn't my husband's health insurer do the same? My father had his SS check reduced because he got a military pension, retired Fed workers are the same, it's nothing new.

3 top picks to replace Russell named

Janice Allen Jackson, Stephen Layson and Oscar Rodriguez are Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver's top picks to replace Fred Russell as city administrator.